Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by stupefied »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:46 pm
stupefied wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:43 amSuffice it to say, my perspective on team build heavily tilts to recruiting good hs talent and developing them over the years rather than importing and displacing in any large numbers. No issue with player mobiliity or any individual but simply a greater appreciation for more organic approaches to competing.
I hear you. I feel similarly when I see a European soccer team like Ajax develop so many great players while a team like Whoever (too many to name) develops all but nothing but buys their way to Championships year after year. I get it. With this said, this situation is very different. Though, I agree with you that a team recruiting and developing layers is more pure, more-Ajax than UNC getting Gray for his senior year.
Same feeling Matnum , even on the pro level for me. Yankee fan (who fondly remembers those great Oriole teams) . Got greater satisfaction from those late 90 championship teams that were driven moreso by several players from the farm system than the 09 chip that was driven by Steinbreners fa spending splurge. Was enjoying the latest Yankee resurgence with younger players such as Judge, Severino, Sanchez etc bolstered by some smart trades but that excitement was somewhat diminished for me by Stanton addition though it enhanced our chances.

I also respect your latter point. Winaskaus is a underrated athlete. Cuse knew he was very good, maybe could have retained been if played. Grill is one of my favorites, obviously get more visibility and recognition here and Amplo did leave.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:36 pm Unpleasant discussion for some. Understand why.
lipka
scanlan
rehfuss
bomberry
mariano
williams
donahue
warren hill
lamolinara
staats
barber
galasso
cometti
palasek
lade
sid smith
jamieson
those are just the ones i remember that had an impact.
bunch of others who didn't get a ton of p.t.
i suspect things would look quite a bit different for su over the last 9+ years without those guys. of course, the orange also redshirts maybe more freshmen than anyone by a country mile. some folks don't love that practice (i'm fine with it).
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Wow, someone just got burned. Might be time to move on stupified. :roll:
Live Free or Die!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I will certainly not speak for anyone on here, but I believe the true essence of the discussion stems around the 'advantage' or 'perceived advantage' to year-in and year-out accept/recruit transfers, take in late additions. Further discussion that it appears to benefit teams that move up and stay in the discussion of Memorial Day each year, when their recruited players do not all pan out as expected.... as opposed to teams like Duke, Cuse, Cornell, Princeton, JHU, and others that seldom are the benefactors of transfers. Kudos to Tillman for taking advantage of the transfer process and being in the state of Maryland.

Patriot and Ivy League do not receive transfers like other conferences. Ironically, Yale did have a significant transfer the year they won, as did Denver in 15' when they received Baptist and Cannizzaro...it helped they also had the likes of Miller and Berg.

I will be rooting for the Terps, except when the play Navy...one day we're gonna get ya'....when you least expect it. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Cooter wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:21 pm Wow, someone just got burned. Might be time to move on stupified. :roll:
I did? Guess I must be wearing a fireproof jacket as that list is not telling me something that I dont know when I posted .The kitchen here certainly aint too hot to leave .

Cuse has had its share of transfers over the past ten years . Barely a year goes by when one isn't announced. And? Scanlan was our recommit who came back to the fold. Let's see , other criticsm directed earlier was bending admissions for some and Im certain that has been the case. Ivies do as we know but obviously at a much higher level. Also know that some have been admitted yet dropped when they cant succeed despite one of the better acadaemic support programs that tries to assist. Im sure Cuse would have been as accommodative as possible to Austin Staats coming in from OCC when he pondered Cuse and Albany.

Subject was mining transfer portal, Tillman mined FIVE in one year to bolster . Maybe just a one off , maybe a new way of "doing business" Ceratianly has ramifications if the case and subject is just as important to discuss as early recruiting was because everyone knows that others will follow suit when one program starts . Not reason to move on, its a forum and a legit convo that may arise from time to time. Stay warm
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Also on the issue of redshirting (other than injury related ) not a fan of it other but Cuse does tend to have oversized rosters as do some other d1's. Really see no reason why a roster needs to be over fifty.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:58 pm

Patriot and Ivy League do not receive transfers like other conferences. Ironically, Yale did have a significant transfer the year they won, as did Denver in 15' when they received Baptist and Cannizzaro...it helped they also had the likes of Miller and Berg.

I will be rooting for the Terps, except when the play Navy...one day we're gonna get ya'....when you least expect it. ;)
Bucknell accepted 2 former T100 transfers this year (one in the fall, one over the winter).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:58 pm I will certainly not speak for anyone on here, but I believe the true essence of the discussion stems around the 'advantage' or 'perceived advantage' to year-in and year-out accept/recruit transfers, take in late additions. Further discussion that it appears to benefit teams that move up and stay in the discussion of Memorial Day each year, when their recruited players do not all pan out as expected.... as opposed to teams like Duke, Cuse, Cornell, Princeton, JHU, and others that seldom are the benefactors of transfers. Kudos to Tillman for taking advantage of the transfer process and being in the state of Maryland.

syracuse, year in and year out... accepts transfers (there's a list from the last decade above that is not all-inclusive. and their transfers typically don't play one year.) so how do they meet your criteria?
duke, of course, got their extra year of eligibility to put themselves on the map of being a team that could take titles.
getting ierlan was supposedly a very rare thing for yale (sports transfer/lacrosse) - and he came in the year after their title.
baptiste was not a transfer.
loyola is a patriot league team, and the year they won it --- their 1st midfield at least was stocked with transfers. they haven't seemed to have too many of them. maybe that's the way to go.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:18 pm
Cooter wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:21 pm Wow, someone just got burned. Might be time to move on stupified. :roll:
I did? Guess I must be wearing a fireproof jacket as that list is not telling me something that I dont know when I posted .The kitchen here certainly aint too hot to leave .

Cuse has had its share of transfers over the past ten years . Barely a year goes by when one isn't announced. And? Scanlan was our recommit who came back to the fold. Let's see , other criticsm directed earlier was bending admissions for some and Im certain that has been the case. Ivies do as we know but obviously at a much higher level. Also know that some have been admitted yet dropped when they cant succeed despite one of the better acadaemic support programs that tries to assist. Im sure Cuse would have been as accommodative as possible to Austin Staats coming in from OCC when he pondered Cuse and Albany.

Subject was mining transfer portal, Tillman mined FIVE in one year to bolster . Maybe just a one off , maybe a new way of "doing business" Ceratianly has ramifications if the case and subject is just as important to discuss as early recruiting was because everyone knows that others will follow suit when one program starts . Not reason to move on, its a forum and a legit convo that may arise from time to time. Stay warm
huh?
that's almost 2 per year off the top of my head. there are quite a few others who didn't play much. that's somewhere on the order of 3 per year. annually. for a decade. what's the number that's over the top and means you're different?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Don't forget how Gallagher changed UPenn last year. Burkinshaw coming in this year to play goalie for them. UPenn...certainly mining the transfer portal to fill in holes in the roster.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Listed 17 , believe some were from CC. Jamieson was one and that was twelve years ago. I would imagine that Maryland and others had some transfers over that span. No?

What year did Cuse or any other d1 program bring in 5 transfers who were likely going to see field?

Mining the the Transfer portal is the subject raised. . It may be just a one off for Maryland or not, early recruiting had ramificatiosn that reshaped, if programs use the transfer portal extensively then that too will have ramifications. No?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I think you could just go discuss this topic with your preferred Syracuse fans, and that it would be considerate of you if you did so.
The regular season is starting up in 11 days for the Terps, The Terps just had a scrimmage this past weekend. I think most Terp fans, myself included, would like to discuss how the team is meshing out and such things.
stupefied wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:18 pm Subject was mining transfer portal, Tillman mined FIVE in one year to bolster .
I am not sure that all transfers are "minings". I think in a lot of cases, that players indicate an interest in coming to UMd.
Live Free or Die!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Cooter wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:13 pm
I think you could just go discuss this topic with your preferred Syracuse fans, and that it would be considerate of you if you did so.
The regular season is starting up in 11 days for the Terps, The Terps just had a scrimmage this past weekend. I think most Terp fans, myself included, would like to discuss how the team is meshing out and such things.
stupefied wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:18 pm Subject was mining transfer portal, Tillman mined FIVE in one year to bolster .
I am not sure that all transfers are "minings". I think in a lot of cases, that players indicate an interest in coming to UMd.
Respect, you are correct about that Cooter, will do.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Has Jared said where he's going to play football next year? He could have a shot in the NFL as a slot receiver.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

keno in reno wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:29 pm Has Jared said where he's going to play football next year? He could have a shot in the NFL as a slot receiver.
Haven’t heard and would be surprised if we hear anything during the season.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

2020 roster with number assignments. Almost game time. Go Terps!

https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/roster
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Seahawk wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:39 pm 2020 roster with number assignments. Almost game time. Go Terps!

Looks like Chiaramonte is gone
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Medical redshirt??
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

keno in reno wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:28 pm
Seahawk wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:39 pm 2020 roster with number assignments. Almost game time. Go Terps!

Looks like Chiaramonte is gone
That gets the roster down to 51.
Watching the scrimmage highlights, the four most prevalent ssdms appear to be:
Puglise, A.Smith, Coffman, and Higgins.
Live Free or Die!
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:03 pm In terms of recruit and develop, I believe I'm correct in saying that:

Wisnauskas came as a Freshman. He red-shirted at SU.
Brandau came as a sophomore. 1 season at G'town.
Ubriaco played 1 year at Villanova. Now a sophomore.
Higgins played 2 years at Cleveland St. Now a Junior.
Smith played 1 year at Hartford, 1 year at MD. Now a Junior.
Trucksess played 2 years at Lehigh. Now a Junior.

To me, this looks less like poaching or anything even remotely nefarious on the part of the school or the player and more like HS kids picking a school based on their options at the time and, year(s) later, wanting to change this decision. I look at every kid on this list and think, I totally get it. Stupe, I get it. In a perfect world, a kid chooses a school and lives happily ever after. but in a perfect world, I'm 6' 6" with a great first step and can dunk. Life isn't perfect. Which makes life 100% more interesting.

For what it's worth, this discussion has made me appreciate these kids that much more. Humanizes them. I'm sure Wisnauskas wanted to be a 4-time AA at SU, etc. And, for whatever reason, it didn't work. So he came to MD, where it also might not have worked, and... For whatever reason, I assume, he's having a better college experience in College Park. It's awesome...
Dolan transfer from UMass....

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”