True Detective - Season 3

Movies, TV, and Music
youthathletics

True Detective - Season 3

Post by youthathletics »

This year is reminiscent of season 1. Well written and with Harrelson and Mcconaughey as producers there is that similar season 1 feel. The story line jumps between the active investigation, to the detective being retired and struggling with not having full closure, not life problems of the investigation eating away at your core and mind.

My wife and I love it thus far, just hope it does not disappoint at the conclusion.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Re: True Detective - Season 3

Post by kramerica.inc »

It's off to a good start. WIth the back story and premise really set, it appears to be really starting to ramp up now with episode 4...

:D
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 pm This year is reminiscent of season 1. Well written and with Harrelson and Mcconaughey as producers there is that similar season 1 feel. The story line jumps between the active investigation, to the detective being retired and struggling with not having full closure, not life problems of the investigation eating away at your core and mind.

My wife and I love it thus far, just hope it does not disappoint at the conclusion.
I have my theory. I believe the owner of Hoyt Foods, the priest and the mother of the two kids were involved. The mother is just not quite right (beyond the drinking).... The school teacher may have hid the daughter away. The son's death was an accident?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:40 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 pm This year is reminiscent of season 1. Well written and with Harrelson and Mcconaughey as producers there is that similar season 1 feel. The story line jumps between the active investigation, to the detective being retired and struggling with not having full closure, not life problems of the investigation eating away at your core and mind.

I have my theory. I believe the owner of Hoyt Foods, the priest and the mother of the two kids were involved. The mother is just not quite right (beyond the drinking).... The school teacher may have hid the daughter away. The son's death was an accident?
I have a feeling there is a connection with the local politician, I cannot remember his name. When he sat down at the desk and spoke with Detective West after he was promoted, the politician and states attorney (I believe)were essentially telling him the case is closed...move on. It was a short clip and they have not really been seen from since. The priest does look awfully shade but that seems too easy. My other theory, is the Teacher/Wife of Det. Hayes, because she seems awfully enthralled with the case and is also writing a book...maybe a real life story she is in?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:55 pm

I have a feeling there is a connection with the local politician, I cannot remember his name. When he sat down at the desk and spoke with Detective West after he was promoted, the politician and states attorney (I believe)were essentially telling him the case is closed...move on. It was a short clip and they have not really been seen from since. The priest does look awfully shade but that seems too easy. My other theory, is the Teacher/Wife of Det. Hayes, because she seems awfully enthralled with the case and is also writing a book...maybe a real life story she is in?
Yes on the wife..... as for the politicians, I believe they just wanted a conviction and that is why that kid crying in that interrogation office is going to be the fall guy..... What happened to the guy that was with the teacher/wife? He was waiting for her next to the car early on? Have not heard or seen peep of him? There is something going on with Hays' wife. She knows how to manipulate (she can manipulate me anytime).
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:03 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:55 pm

Yes on the wife..... as for the politicians, I believe they just wanted a conviction and that is why that kid crying in that interrogation office is going to be the fall guy..... What happened to the guy that was with the teacher/wife? He was waiting for her next to the car early on? Have not heard or seen peep of him? There is something going on with Hays' wife. She knows how to manipulate (she can manipulate me anytime).
:lol: me too. I like how she manipulated him during that argument they had in the bedroom...." the power of the P"

Good recall on her guy friend, I forgot about him.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I thought initially the kid's mom and the uncle were the ones to watch. Nothing normal about the peephole. I think they know more than they are letting on and were probably complicit in something. In real life the most simple explanation is usually correct, right? But this is fiction sooo...
The mom appears to be self medicating to forget something she directly did.
The dad seems to be self medicating to get over the tragedy of it.
I think the weirdo priest and First Holy Communion connection although compelling, were red herrings to throw us off the case.
The Teacher/wife is also very odd. She seems wholesome/normal in the 80s, insalubrious/manipulative and weird in the 90s and is MIA in the most recent timeline. She could be involved somehow as her personality and mood swings are not consistent...she also alluded to a bad period in California when she was part of the "panthers." Her character reveal has been the slowest and most mysterious IMO and that makes her one to watch.
Also of note, the writer Pizzolatto has a distrust of government and has had a thread of creepy "secret societies" running throughout the first two seasons of True Detective. I think they may allude to one in this season too, but I think that trope is getting a bit played out.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Nice recap Kramerica.

Maybe it is a human/sex trafficking racket between Wife/Teacher, Politician, and quite possibly the Priest. The reason I think Hayes is going so damned crazy to this day, is because he has never considered his wife so he is stumped OR he does consider her and he is driving himself crazy trying to prove it was not her and how he got played.

I'm on the record as going for that scenario. :D
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Starting to formulate my thoughts..... a couple of observations:

1) I believe Hayes had an affair with Roland's old squeeze

2) The grieving "father" is not the real father of the daughter. It is either the "uncle" or someone at Hoyt Foods. The State Attorney General is part of the cover up of the disappearance. Not sure why The owner of Hoyt went away at about the same time the girl disappeared?

3) Hayes and Roland killed the uncle and covered it up

4) The grieving "father" was abusing the daughter

5) The girl doing the interview is dating Hayes' son and she has some particular interest that has yet to be revealed
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Watched it last night and I really tried to find subtleties but I may be clouding my judgement trying to "nail" Hayes' wife and link it to the States Attorney..or whomever he is covering for.

The piece when Hayes was reading the book of his past wife and found the same sentence used in the magazine clipping note that was delivered around the time of the crime has be a bit stumped....how would Hayes' wife know that or was it just coincidence?

I keep waffling on the father. If it was him, I would expect him to distance himself as much as possible but maybe they still think he is suspect #1 and keep him coming back to slip up?

Your point #5 could very well be that Roland knows why they shut it down when he was promoted, Hayes shows him pictures of the planted back-pack in the porch after the explosion and may explain why he has isolated himself from everyone. Now, he knows they both are old, tired, and have nothing to lose....maybe the reporter is the child from an affair?
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

The Purcell mom made that statement to Hayes’ wife before she got angry. I thought at the time
She was just repeating what she had read in the hostage note. Maybe not.

I believe Hayes’ wife may have helped the girl escape but not sure. Hayes and Roland either killed Tom Purcell or the Uncle. A Buddy wondered if the uncled was actually trying to help Julie Purcell. He wondered if he was passing notes through the peep hole? Remember the small notes found?
Typical Lax Dad

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:42 am Starting to formulate my thoughts..... a couple of observations:

1) I believe Hayes had an affair with Roland's old squeeze

2) The grieving "father" is not the real father of the daughter. It is either the "uncle" or someone at Hoyt Foods. The State Attorney General is part of the cover up of the disappearance. Not sure why The owner of Hoyt went away at about the same time the girl disappeared?

3) Hayes and Roland killed the uncle and covered it up

4) The grieving "father" was abusing the daughter

5) The girl doing the interview is dating Hayes' son and she has some particular interest that has yet to be revealed
Ding ding ding. I was right about a few things. My buddy was right about the notes being passed through peep hole
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Just watched it.

I don’t recall what the owner of Hoyt looks like. In the final scene it looked like the security guy from Hoyt, ex state trooper, but he appeared to have a mustache.

The same security guy at hoyt also commented on Hayes’ nice body.

And the girl in the halfway house who was talking to hayes’ wife, said the girl was talking about a pink room.

Will be interesting to see where this goes.
Last edited by youthathletics on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 pm Just watched it.

I don’t recall what the owner of Hoyt likes like. In the final scene it looked like the security guy from Hoyt, ex state trooper, but he appeared to have a mustache.

The same security guy at hoyt also commuted in Hayes’ nice body.

And the girl in the halfway house who was talking to hayes’ wife, said the girl was talking about a pink room.

These were my observations:

1) I believe Hayes had an affair with Roland's old squeeze (Yet to be determined)

2) The grieving "father" is not the real father of the daughter. It is either the "uncle" or someone at Hoyt Foods. The State Attorney General is part of the cover up of the disappearance. Not sure why The owner of Hoyt went away at about the same time the girl disappeared? (got most of this right)

3) Hayes and Roland killed the uncle and covered it up (pretty sure I am wrong here)

4) The grieving "father" was abusing the daughter (Pretty sure I am wrong here but it has yet to be determined)

5) The girl doing the interview is dating Hayes' son and she has some particular interest that has yet to be revealed (I was right about the dating and not sure about the motivation)

The pink room had been mentioned earlier. It may have been the runaway boy that also mentioned pink room. Tom Purcell was likely a closet homosexual and not sure how to read the security officer's comments regarding Hayes. I believe the security officer may be responsible for killing the uncle. He is likely to have planted evidence at Woodard's house. Hoyt either likely the father of the daughter and was paying the mother off and maybe the mother was subjecting both kids to pedophiles? Who was the black guy with the bad eye are the end? Not sure why he showed up at the book reading but he is the guy that bought the straw dolls that were out in Devil's Den.....
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:27 pm

I don’t recall what the owner of Hoyt looks like. In the final scene it looked like the security guy from Hoyt, ex state trooper, but he appeared to have a mustache.

1) I believe Hayes had an affair with Roland's old squeeze (Yet to be determined) Maybe, but not sure why that would matter, yet. Unless, the reporter is the offspring.

2) The grieving "father" is not the real father of the daughter. It is either the "uncle" or someone at Hoyt Foods. The State Attorney General is part of the cover up of the disappearance. Not sure why The owner of Hoyt went away at about the same time the girl disappeared? (got most of this right) I have a feeling that the owner of Hoyt is the girls Father. I just have not put together why the kids would be passing notes between walls..something had them rattled, maybe it was their Dad Tom Purcell abusing the son?

3) Hayes and Roland killed the uncle and covered it up (pretty sure I am wrong here)Maybe the grieving "father" Tom Purcell did him in after he got the intel on where the Pink Room/Home actually was.Also, the guy watching the security camera while the grieving Father entered was smoking (was there an ashtray in his security office at Hoyts?), and when Hayes and Roland where in the Diner talking to the Uncle who was demanding $7k for info, the camera focused in on him putting out his cigarette in the food for about 5 seconds. Maybe the clue is a smoker?

4) The grieving "father" was abusing the daughter (Pretty sure I am wrong here but it has yet to be determined)Quite possibly abusing the son, if he is into homesexual behavior. Maybe the boy was passing notes to his sister becuase grieving father was abusing him and they planned to run away or were working out a plan. Then Mom reached out to real dad from Hoyt for help and he is the shady guy.

5) The girl doing the interview is dating Hayes' son and she has some particular interest that has yet to be revealed (I was right about the dating and not sure about the motivation)I know this is a stretch, but I wonder if she is the daughter from the affair and wants to get back at Hayes and knows Hayes' wife is linked....that might be too far stretched.

The pink room had been mentioned earlier. It may have been the runaway boy that also mentioned pink room. Tom Purcell was likely a closet homosexual and not sure how to read the security officer's comments regarding Hayes (Not sure I follow here, Tom Purcell was not in the security officers room when Hays and Roland went to the Hoyts building). I believe the security officer may be responsible for killing the uncle. He is likely to have planted evidence at Woodard's house (maybe but I cannot recall if Hayes and Roland commented about him being there after the shoot out, wasn't the backpack in police evidence room at that time of that shootout, if so how would a trooper get ahold of it?) Hoyt either likely the father of the daughter and was paying the mother off and maybe the mother was subjecting both kids to pedophiles? Who was the black guy with the bad eye are the end? Not sure why he showed up at the book reading but he is the guy that bought the straw dolls that were out in Devil's Den.....(surely the same guy and nothing came of their interrogationn of him in his trailer. By the inside looks of his trailer I find it hard to believe he would have purchased dolls like those found at the crime scene...that one is indeed a headscratcher, unless he was asked to purchase them for someone else.)
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:33 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:27 pm

1) I believe Hayes had an affair with Roland's old squeeze (Yet to be determined) Maybe, but not sure why that would matter, yet. Unless, the reporter is the offspring.

2) The grieving "father" is not the real father of the daughter. It is either the "uncle" or someone at Hoyt Foods. The State Attorney General is part of the cover up of the disappearance. Not sure why The owner of Hoyt went away at about the same time the girl disappeared? (got most of this right) I have a feeling that the owner of Hoyt is the girls Father. I just have not put together why the kids would be passing notes between walls..something had them rattled, maybe it was their Dad Tom Purcell abusing the son?

3) Hayes and Roland killed the uncle and covered it up (pretty sure I am wrong here)Maybe the grieving "father" Tom Purcell did him in after he got the intel on where the Pink Room/Home actually was.Also, the guy watching the security camera while the grieving Father entered was smoking (was there an ashtray in his security office at Hoyts?), and when Hayes and Roland where in the Diner talking to the Uncle who was demanding $7k for info, the camera focused in on him putting out his cigarette in the food for about 5 seconds. Maybe the clue is a smoker?

4) The grieving "father" was abusing the daughter (Pretty sure I am wrong here but it has yet to be determined)Quite possibly abusing the son, if he is into homesexual behavior. Maybe the boy was passing notes to his sister becuase grieving father was abusing him and they planned to run away or were working out a plan. Then Mom reached out to real dad from Hoyt for help and he is the shady guy.

5) The girl doing the interview is dating Hayes' son and she has some particular interest that has yet to be revealed (I was right about the dating and not sure about the motivation)I know this is a stretch, but I wonder if she is the daughter from the affair and wants to get back at Hayes and knows Hayes' wife is linked....that might be too far stretched.

The pink room had been mentioned earlier. It may have been the runaway boy that also mentioned pink room. Tom Purcell was likely a closet homosexual and not sure how to read the security officer's comments regarding Hayes (Not sure I follow here, Tom Purcell was not in the security officers room when Hays and Roland went to the Hoyts building). I believe the security officer may be responsible for killing the uncle. He is likely to have planted evidence at Woodard's house (maybe but I cannot recall if Hayes and Roland commented about him being there after the shoot out, wasn't the backpack in police evidence room at that time of that shootout, if so how would a trooper get ahold of it?) Hoyt either likely the father of the daughter and was paying the mother off and maybe the mother was subjecting both kids to pedophiles? Who was the black guy with the bad eye are the end? Not sure why he showed up at the book reading but he is the guy that bought the straw dolls that were out in Devil's Den.....(surely the same guy and nothing came of their interrogationn of him in his trailer. By the inside looks of his trailer I find it hard to believe he would have purchased dolls like those found at the crime scene...that one is indeed a headscratcher, unless he was asked to purchase them for someone else.)
I mentioned Hayes' having had an affair with Roland's girlfriend because Roland was so upset when Hayes asked him if he was married. His response was sort of "how in the hell don't you remember why I am not married.... you caused it".... Tom Purcell was a closet homosexual and perhaps so was the security guard that commented on Hayes' body. They may have had a connection in Devil's Den which was a "cruising" spot. Roland and Hayes went to the security officer's office because he was the guy that found the backpack.... supposedly. Also, someone stole fingerprints lifted from the toys from the police file. A cop had to have access. My guess, is that the security officer took them because maybe Hoyt's or someone's finger prints were on those toys. The black guy with the bad eye was not the same guy in the trailer but I could be wrong.... (I was tempted to make a joke :x )
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

You know what, I think you are right about the black guy, and the reason I say that (not going to use joke you were thinking of) is while we were watching, I stepped away and came back in at the end of his rant during the book event and thought they were in the much later years after the original 1980 time frame.

Now I am getting pissed at them for throwing too much at us. :lol:
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

My mind was blown.

I have a few theories about the murder itself, the dad, etc., but what about the bigger picture?! Remember my complaint about the “played-out trope??” IMO, the big news here is that all three seasons are connected.

It’s all about human trafficking.

Each season has just shown a snippet of the big picture. And all three seasons had driven detectives that wouldn’t give up despite someone “connected,” someone that was very high-up in the power structure shutting the investigations down or helping cover up.

The lady doing the modern- day interview mentions Harrelson and Mconoughey from season 1- The mention of the doll, and then the triangle symbols (Devil’s triangle things. From season 1?!) that signified an Underground Railroad type of marker for kids and women for sale...

With one episode left, I think this season may not drive to the mystery being solved, but rather drive us to see all the seasons in True Detective are connected to a bigger case and that something very large and very evil is happening.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

So Rewatched season 1.

They connect it to season 2 with the grand conspiracy/cult that does the ceremonies/acts with animal head masks...

Marty (Harrelson) also mentions, in jest, that he’s writing a book called “True Crime.”

The young woman interviewing in the 3rd season said the interviews were following up on an investigation by Marty and Rust and the documentary is called “True Criminal.”

Lol
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:31 pm My mind was blown.

I have a few theories about the murder itself, the dad, etc., but what about the bigger picture?! Remember my complaint about the “played-out trope??” IMO, the big news here is that all three seasons are connected.

It’s all about human trafficking.

Each season has just shown a snippet of the big picture. And all three seasons had driven detectives that wouldn’t give up despite someone “connected,” someone that was very high-up in the power structure shutting the investigations down or helping cover up.

The lady doing the modern- day interview mentions Harrelson and Mconoughey from season 1- The mention of the doll, and then the triangle symbols (Devil’s triangle things. From season 1?!) that signified an Underground Railroad type of marker for kids and women for sale...

With one episode left, I think this season may not drive to the mystery being solved, but rather drive us to see all the seasons in True Detective are connected to a bigger case and that something very large and very evil is happening.
It was speculated a few weeks ago that 1&3 were connected. I overlooked season 2.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”