movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
Brooklyn

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by Brooklyn »

St Valentine's Day Massacre - 1967

Have always been startled as to how/why 20th Century Fox employed Roger Corman to do this movie. Corman was always known for his low budget flics and he was out of his league on this one. While the setting was good, the costuming excellent, and budget generous, I thought the casting of Jason Robards as Big Al was just awful. Robards was too thin, his accent/voice too Chicago, there wasn't a trace of Brooklynese in his dialog, his rants were a bit under stated, and he did not project the kind of authority Rod Steiger did in his role as the Brooklyn penale. The pace of the movie was good and it was entertaining though its social commentary was kept to a minimum. While the ratings were generally good, it was not a box office success.

As I mentioned in the old LP forum, this massacre was based on a plot of a story by my forum muse Charles Francis "Socker" Coe:

https://books.google.com/books?id=cXV5n ... oe&f=false
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Machine Gun Kelly - 1958

Another Roger Corman flic which got decent reviews and introduced Charles Bronson. What really stood out was the theme music - jazz that was so hot it was utterly savage. Though a weak plot, it had an excellent cast with film noir scenery which heightens the intensity of the drama.

good pics: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051887/me ... 1062639360
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Gangster Land - 2017

Perhaps a 2 star though that may be a bit generous. Good setting & costuming but a rather trite plot. I did like some of the redeeming social value dialog especially about the actual origin of Prohibition. As stated in the following review, it's sorta like a modern day "poverty row" movie: https://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/g ... 202628305/

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Town - 2010

Rated 4 to 4½. Though a bit long this rating was well deserved for its acting, setting, and cinematic authenticity if such a term exists. A true reflection of the Townie version of Omertà (code of silence), its consequences, with genuine local dialog. GREAT chase scene - perhaps Hollywood's best ever. It is said there were three different versions of the movie that circulated through movieland. I watched the full 2:30 version. Long but worth watching.

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:53 pm The Town - 2010

Rated 4 to 4½. Though a bit long this rating was well deserved for its acting, setting, and cinematic authenticity if such a term exists. A true reflection of the Townie version of Omertà (code of silence), its consequences, with genuine local dialog. GREAT chase scene - perhaps Hollywood's best ever. It is said there were three different versions of the movie that circulated through movieland. I watched the full 2:30 version. Long but worth watching.
I loved that movie. Excellent. Have you seen State of Grace?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:50 pm

For some reason, I thought the movie was called "The Westies". No wonder why I could't find it anywhere. Thanks for the heads up - will search for it under its real name. I checked with fmovie and tubittv but neither has it. Will try some other free film site.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Movie from 1999. Generally rated 3½.

Many very funny scenes. Robert DeNiro plays mob role superbly. It's almost as if he was born to play such a convincing role over and over again.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:27 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:50 pm

For some reason, I thought the movie was called "The Westies". No wonder why I could't find it anywhere. Thanks for the heads up - will search for it under its real name. I checked with fmovie and tubittv but neither has it. Will try some other free film site.
It’s a brilliant Irish mob/gang film. Really good acting. Oldman is a brilliant actor.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:44 am State of Grace

It’s a brilliant Irish mob/gang film. Really good acting. Oldman is a brilliant actor.

Great movie with superb work by Oldham. Good dialog and emotional expression by the actors but some of the words used seem to be a bit muted (perhaps it was the video stream I had). Rated from 3½ to 4. The one directorial flaw was the lack of authentic Gotham West Side accent.

The Westies book:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Th ... =en&gbpv=0

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/westie ... 1103476725

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:44 am State of Grace

Great movie with superb work by Oldham. Good dialog and emotional expression by the actors but some of the words used seem to be a bit muted (perhaps it was the video stream I had). Rated from 3½ to 4. The one directorial flaw was the lack of authentic Gotham West Side accent.

The Westies book:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Th ... =en&gbpv=0

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/westie ... 1103476725
Very good. I am glad you liked it. Oldman was fabulous. He was also good in The Professional. That was an excellent film also.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:47 am

Very good. I am glad you liked it. Oldman was fabulous. He was also good in The Professional. That was an excellent film also.

Thanks again for the heads up. It sure was a good one.

As for "The Professional", I don't believe I heard of this one b4 and see that Natalie Portman made her debut in it. Will defo check it out.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:09 pm

As for "The Professional", I don't believe I heard of this one b4 and see that Natalie Portman made her debut in it. Will defo check it out.
The Professional was a loose follow up to the French Film La Femme Nakita. The American version with Bridgette Fonda wasn’t too good.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:38 pm

The Professional was a loose follow up to the French Film La Femme Nakita. The American version with Bridgette Fonda wasn’t too good.
But the French version by Luc Besson was excellent. Anne Parillaud in the role.
Bridget Fonda wasn't hard on the eyes, either, but of course Nikita is fished out of the slum and Bridget was less convincing in that part, IMO. The French version was grittier.

Harvey Keitel's cleaner role preceded the similar role later played as Tarantino's Pulp Fiction fixer.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:27 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:38 pm

But the French version by Luc Besson was excellent. Anne Parillaud in the role.
Bridget Fonda wasn't hard on the eyes, either, but of course Nikita is fished out of the slum and Bridget was less convincing in that part, IMO. The French version was grittier.

Harvey Keitel's cleaner role preceded the similar role later played as Tarantino's Pulp Fiction fixer.
Absolutely!! The French version was outstanding. Bridget Fonda was out is place in the role. I am going to re-watch the French version. Tell No One was a very good French film. I also liked Frantic with Harrison Ford. Good entertainment.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The team's star was beginning to fade by 1946 and critics agree that this did not rate in their top ten. But it does have its moments and makes for good entertainment.

Watched it on you tube and was surprised at the really good quality of the video.

Andersen

Post by Andersen »

"Up From The Streets". If you have an interest in the Culture of New Orleans and its music, this is very good My wife and I saw it the other night. It costs $12, but the money goes to charity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYnDVGCFKf8

It’s only available to watch until June 12th or so.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Rated between 3½ to 4 star. While the rating was good, I don't believe this gem has gotten as much air time as it should have. The casting was absolutely terrific with several stars getting their first big break in it - Peter Falk said this was the movie that really made his career. He was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. Good scenery and background music.

But I thought the directing was just a bit flawed as the actors did not use the old Brooklyn accent. Having grown up in that neighborhood, I wish I could have been there to coach them in that old East New York/Brownsville nasalized twang that was unique to the area (by the way to this day I still have traces of the accent whenever I speak). Sad to say the old accent has virtually disappeared and will never come back with all the changes in the area thanks to gentrification.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Film noir anti commie cold war flick rated three star back in the day. Very suspenseful. Narrator used stentorian voice which, unfortunately, is not used in Hollywood anymore. I always thought stentorian added to the drama and suspense.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Knife of the Party - 1934

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4uxiyo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Knife_of_the_Party

Shemp Howard and his Stooges. You read it right - it was a troupe that lasted only for a few weeks.

A rather forgetable comedy film short. But the girls in it sure were beautiful, notably Lillian Miles of Reefer Madness fame:

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:53 pm The Town - 2010

Bump it a star for having Blake Lively in it.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”