The State of TV

Movies, TV, and Music
thatsmell

The State of TV

Post by thatsmell »

What is everyone watching these days?

Better Call Saul on AMC is great and really getting into Breaking Bad territory this season.
Ozark on Netflix is highly entertaining and season 2 will be released on Aug 31.
HBO's Hard Knock Cleveland Browns is also entertaining, albeint someowhat simlar each season, but seeing these monster athletes up close and personal is scary. Training Camp is no joke. Even for the downtrodden Browns.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
holmes435

Re: The State of TV

Post by holmes435 »

We're wrapping up Wild Wild Country on Netflix - great documentary about the Rajneesh movement.

Making a Murderer was also great.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Got into "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" on Amazon...good writing, the production level is top-notch, and the female lead is pretty easy on the eyes...just sayin'...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
old salt

Post by old salt »

thatsmell wrote:What is everyone watching these days?

Better Call Saul on AMC is great and really getting into Breaking Bad territory this season.
The lead in promo to Better call Saulhooked me into checking out Lodge 49, which follows.

Pleasantly surprised (so far). It's got kind of a Cohen Bros, Big Lebowski thing goin'.
It's got a funky SoCal vibe, not unlike Terriers, which is also worth a look if it's avail on Netflix.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

evil genius was good. 4 part documentary about a group of acquaintances that orchestrated some grisly murders.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

thatsmell wrote:What is everyone watching these days?

Ozark on Netflix is highly entertaining and season 2 will be released on Aug 31.
HBO's Hard Knock Cleveland Browns is also entertaining, albeint someowhat simlar each season, but seeing these monster athletes up close and personal is scary. Training Camp is no joke. Even for the downtrodden Browns.
Season 3 of The Fall on Netflix
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Gotta admit I am really enjoying Pooch Sleuth Inspector Rex on DVD:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108829/

Also watching Wallander (the Krister Henriksson series).
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
old salt

Post by old salt »

Thank You, Mr. Robot
old salt

Post by old salt »

AMC to air another BBC adaption of a John LeCarre' novel -- The Little Drummer Girl
To air Nov 19-21, 6 chapters in 3 x 2 hr blocks. Same treatment as The Night Manager, which I enjoyed very much.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Woh, a separate thread for Prime and Netflix? We're livin high on the hog, fellas. But, gotta go with the old thread salut1

Programming these days is just such absolute garbage. I did the usual: spend 20 minutes looking for something to watch, then give up and consider cancelling my account. But I live in the middle of nowhere and need Prime to shop. After that instinct I do the usual searches in Prime: climbing, hunting, Baltimore, Canadian saints, New Orleans, Bayou life, sustainability, rednecks, Georgia wiregrass, Wallace Stevens, Merchant Marine life, Gulf of Aden, Snow Leopards, Orcas, freediving, Gulf of the St. Lawrence, Isle de la Magdalene.

It was the "freediving" search that hit this time. I spent 20 minutes looking for some good show to watch and ended up watching a guy, completely still, hold his breath for 20 minutes in a pool in the middle of dowtown Zagreb. It was absolutely thrilling. It reminded me of how difficult and simple it is to capture the human spirit and the excitement that follows. I watched a guy face down in a pool of water stay completely still and it was better than anything Netflix or Prime could push. Amazing. It is called "My Life Without Air".

I was also blown away by the documentary titled "Following Seas". Let me know what you think. Both of these films are on Prime. Hope you guys are well!

Old Salt, Night Manager was sooo good. I'll have to check out this other one you recommend as well.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Ray Donovan is back. After the way last season ended, I wondered if the story line had run it's course.

Very creative & entertaining bridge, shifting it to NYC. ...I'm still hooked.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

BBC seems to have a better grasp on drama than any American public network.

Bodyguard which Netflix picked up was as interesting as promoted in daily rags TV columns.

Tom Hardy in Taboo crime series is delirious and on Hulu

Julia Roberts can act in Homecoming on Amazon Prime which needs to keep some more Bosch coming non-stop.
The parent, not the coach.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Worst Place To Be A Pilot

Documentary on the guys that fly Susi Air. Trying to get their hours to break into the commercial jobs. Fun show.

Been enjoying this one. Can be watched on youtube.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DD-Tech wrote:Worst Place To Be A Pilot

... Fun show.

Back in the way-back-when I used to enjoy TV shows that had aviation themes such as:

They just don't make them like they used to.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

old salt

Post by old salt »

DD-Tech wrote:Worst Place To Be A Pilot

Documentary on the guys that fly Susi Air. Trying to get their hours to break into the commercial jobs. Fun show.

Been enjoying this one. Can be watched on youtube.
Oh man, I'm hooked. What great experience for young pilots -- flying the airplane, not just managing the autopilot.
Their only regret, no other job will be that much fun.

Those guys are really on their own, certifying their own landing strips.
Great fun not having the FAA on your shoulder.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Catching up on Season 2 - Edgy but very funny!

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Lone Ranger:

His grand nephew the Green Hornet:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

One of my favorite lines from the Stooges. 60 years after I first saw this segment, I'm still laughing.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Who needs TV?

ATM, am watching Minnesota high school wrestling championships online. GREAT stuff!

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

WWL-TV is presenting the Mardi Gras parade on youtube.

Great stuff - marches, music, pageantry, and milieu.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”