Game of Thrones

Movies, TV, and Music
dislaxxic

Game of Thrones

Post by dislaxxic »

The last season is still a ways off, but saw this news today:

The Game of Thrones Prequel Spinoff Finds Its Star in Naomi Watts

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
thatsmell

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by thatsmell »

The prequel would probably do well.

With all the references to the history of the Seven Kingdoms in the current show, (as well as references to other winters, and great gransdparents etc.) a writer could have a field day exploring that history and showing what "really" happened instead of how ancestors re-wrote history.

Given the thirst of GOT fans, I imagine there would be a lot of interest.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Was SOO unhappy to see Ygritte take an arrow in the back...

Kit didn't let THAT little wildling get away...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

If you haven't taken it in before, check out these three Atlantic writers recap of each episode of Game Of Thrones...

Game of Thrones Makes Time for Love Before War

What did everyone think? A lot of plot adjustments and inevitabilities...but it's good to have it back...

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Dany didn't sound too happy hearing about Jon's true lineage...did she??

foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:43 am Dany didn't sound too happy hearing about Jon's true lineage...did she??

As my wife said, we are going to find out what Dany is all about.

Glad to see Arya found some love...too bad Sansa hasn't. Same for Brienne - she and Thormund could produce some real athletes!

(Last fall I went back and watched GOT from the start....way too many questions coming in to the final season. Between closed caption and rewind, I finally feel like I understand the myriad relationships.)

GOT is the GOAT
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Brienne and Thormund are the power couple everyone is rooting for! But seems like Brienne may still be hung up on Jamie.

We will see what Dany is all about soon enough. Noticed her "for the people" schtick that she used to gain her power and army is no longer en vogue now that she has a little taste of power. As Varis said about Jon and Dany before their little dragon ride, "Nothing lasts." I think that's going to be the case with them. I thought GOT was going to all be about Dany, but her story arc is falling too soon, I think. This story is all about Jon (or the Ice King) coming into power. It think we could see Jamie become the King Slayer once again. And we could see a Dany/Jon breakup over the power struggle.
Cersi has consistently been a t-urd throughout the show. I doubt she shcnages that and come to the rescue with her spare 20K army in this case. Brienne's story is one of optimism, so I think she makes it... IMO the following are almost certain to die noble deaths in battle next week:
Theon, Grey Worm, Hound, Jorah...Samwell? Dragon #2? Everyone in the crypt?

:D

And of course there will also have to be a battle or two between some good friends- between those still living and some that join the Night King's army.

:shock:
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Arya is my new pick for "Best Beast - Women under 30" - suspect she will be able to do some real damage with her ability to toss dragon glass knives and swing that new two-bladed pole. Hope she makes it!!
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

I'm feeling a palpable feeling of dread already and it's only FRIDAY!

This coming episode is going to be one heckuva ride i think...

Several major characters likely to fall (and rise again?) Will Brienne and Tormund be together in "death"? I could see Theon springing Bran out of harm's way perhaps...i've long had a feeling that he finds redemption somewhere along the line, but who the heck KNOWS, right??

This tale has crushed our hopes and expectations before...and may very well again.

Will generations of dead Starks become "undead" in the crypts? We saw that brief clip of Arya running from something in the pre-season teaser...YEESH, there's just so much that could go on here...

foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Arya is the G.O.T. G.O.A.T.....had a feeling she would take down something big. Thought the giant was hers....loved that scene.

Who lived and who died seemed about right.

I had mixed feelings about how the fight scene was shot - in the end, we didn't need to see "details". You knew without seeing.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Incredible amount of tension in that episode...the director (who had also done "Hardhome" and "Battle of the Bastards") really had the audience feeling the anxiety, fear and tension that the characters were feeling during that battle. The "fog of war" came in the form of an ice storm that blew in with the Army of the Dead. Confusion ensued...i was literally exhausted at the end of that show.

Perhaps many of you have found this, but i like the Atlantic reviewers take on each episode and this one is the same:

The Long Night

When recently deceased Edd and Lyanna's eyes popped open when they were brought back to life, i 'bout crapped a brick and then later let out a loud WOOHOO when Arya stabbed the Night King. Phew!

Like one of the Atlantic reviewers says, i'm glad that battle is behind us so that we can get back to the most interesting and intriguing aspects of GoT, what goes on in Kings Landing. Cersei's army should be a piece of cake for those that fought in and survived the Battle of Winterfell.

old salt

Post by old salt »

Wrong thread. Never mind.
Last edited by old salt on Thu May 09, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

This is the Game of Thrones thread Salty...DO try to pay attention... :mrgreen:

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

OK, so this is just weird. A couple big arrows can take out a flying dragon? Really?

Plot requirements really seem to be trumping series-long story arcs here...

a fan

Post by a fan »

Gotta serve the story.

Otherwise, all a smart dragon would do is attack the ships from directly above, where the arrows can't aim. Well that, and, dragons don't exist.

Gotta serve the story, and willfully suspend disbelief.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

a fan wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:10 pm Gotta serve the story.

Otherwise, all a smart dragon would do is attack the ships from directly above, where the arrows can't aim. Well that, and, dragons don't exist.

Gotta serve the story, and willfully suspend disbelief.
And why attack during the daylight when the arrows have a clear view of where to aim? A night time attack makes waaay much more sense, but oh well...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:20 pm Was SOO unhappy to see Ygritte take an arrow in the back...

Kit didn't let THAT little wildling get away...

Yes sir!

Heard a pretty funny bit of discussion on a Bill simmons podcast w Ryan russillo about the show dovetailing into questionable parts and Russilo basically made the case that in a land full of Heathen wild dudes and a 15:1 ration that in the real world Jon snow would’ve been barbecue within five minutes of her making eyes at him. Agreed and I would started the fire personally!
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:10 pmGotta serve the story.
So, was "the story" served in that ending? Jeebus.

In that maddening 15 minutes we get: "Jon stabs Dany. Instead of roasting Jon, Drogon symbolically melts the Iron Throne and carries the limp body of his mother off in his talons. A conclave of lords and ladies of Westeros is convened and Tyrion is brought before them in chains and they know Dany was murdered and Tyrion argues for an entirely new system of government while being held prisoner by the Master of War of the person he just conspired to assassinate."

A very nice summary is HERE at The Atlantic

It really is unfathomable how, with the bells of the city surrendering last week, Dany looks off at the Red Keep, get a sneer of hatred on her face and goes on to commit genocide on a helpless, innocent population.

Oh well. Story served. I guess...? All Hail, Bran the Really, Really No Feely!

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”