movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
Brooklyn

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by Brooklyn »

JFK - 1991

Ebert review: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-jfk-1991

Movie was rated 4 to 4½ to 5 star. All agree it was a great movie with superb dialog but much of the praise was re the great acting and not the plot or the movie's message. Certain critics hated it because they felt it distorted some "facts" as supposedly established by the Warren Commission. Interesting that nobody who got butt hurt over its disclosures tried to sue the filmaker for any alleged distortions and any slander that may have resulted from its revelations. Hopefully, some day we will all know the truth. All this will be very interesting once the government opens up the sealed reports about the assassination. Wish I could be around to see them.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Watched The Two Popes with Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce and loved it.

Great acting, great story, and I doubt you need to be Catholic or religious at all to enjoy it. Also depicts a rare glimpse inside the Vatican and how a Pope is elected.

Mirum!
Last edited by tech37 on Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Agreed. Great Film. #3 for me in 2019. Just behind #2 Arctic. Just ahead of #4 Little Women. :)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Die Hard - 1988

Heard so much about it over the years but had no idea it was a Christmas movie. Lots of violence but I guess that was necessary given the topic and plot. It has been said that the movie was the first in a series of other lone wolf hero action flicks that became popular for the next few years. I hope there were several stuntmen for Bruce Willis as he took quite a pounding from the demands of the role. Alan Rickman was superb as the villain. Good supporting character roles in Sgt Powell and limo driver Argyle. Lots of funny lines ease some of the movie's intensity and good background music - Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" from his 9th Symphony really added a great punctuation mark. Interestingly that while it was enthusiastically received in 1988, it is not regarded today quite as highly as it was at the time of its initial release. I believe it has stood the test of time and give it a solid 4½ rating quite possibly a five.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Thin Red Line - 1998

It was given 4 Stars by every source I could fine.

A rather unusual war movie in that it was existential and filled with streams of consciousness. "We're just dirt" says one soldier to himself. Remarkable cinematography. The beauty of Nature as exemplified by the natives living serenely in a beautiful island paradise compared with the violence, dissipation, uncleanliness, and hate brought on by war. I understand 'thin red line' is an age old reference to valor in the face of tormentous danger. The director sure presented much of this in the memorable flic.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Terrence Malick film.

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Terrence Malick film.

Caddy Day
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Great animation though a rather flat plot. Somehow it got highly favorable ratings though I cannot honestly understand why. I'll give it a 3 for its great animation and scenery. More of a kid's show but to each his/her own.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Escape From Pretoria - 2020

https://www.signature-entertainment.co. ... -pretoria/ -- trailer

having had a small part in the Anti-Apartheid movement, I was intrigued by the flic - one that will definitely have you on the edge of your seat because of its great intensity

3½ at the very least ~ the one flaw in the movie was the lack of character development such as the personal history and motivation of the subjects and others who would put their lives at such great risk. In particular, just a bit more info on Denis Goldberg would have added to this movie as his story is worthy of its own movie and a large volume biography.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

That Was Then... This Is Now (1985)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090151/

Sort of a coming-of-age film. Mildly entertaining. A 2 star rating though many gave it a 3. Filmed in the Twin Cities, nice to see some of the old local spots which are now gone.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Freddy vs Jason just came on and I'm "working" (hardly, stalling and here too much, but getting some done which is progress for rolling work after normal hours). I can't tell you how many debates I had with my friends for years as a kid (born in 1978) about who was the best killer and who would win fights between Jason/Freddy/Mike Myers.

I was always a Freddie guy. He was so creative and he enjoyed his work so much (when they take the nintendo controller away from him he just busts out "don't forget the powerglove!". The others just labored through their mass murder. It may be a typical slasher in thespian quality, but IMO this is a all time classic.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

News today of an alleged new 'Cannonball Run' time (some say give it an asterisk * due to CV19 situation).

I'm reminded of the classic movie Gumball Rally from 1976. Ignore the Rotten Tomatoes critics review! For anyone boy born in the early-mid 60's this was pure comedy and awesome cars! It even had a moon shot! Skip that other cannonball movie, this one blows it away.

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Motherless Brooklyn - 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherles ... lyn_(film)

Though well acted with good scenery and costuming, it was not very entertaining. Not the director's fault, though. Sad to say that the story just doesn't quite translate so well into a movie. Sensational book - a true masterpiece. But not one for the cinema. The ratings have generally been from 3 to 3½ both of which may be a bit generous.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Dick Tracy vs Cueball - 1946

Corny as heck but actually well acted with good, vintage setting. Ian Keith as Vitamin Flintheart was special:

Film noir effect gave it an extra good touch.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fighter

The ratings were from 4 to 4½ stars. I'll go for about 3½ to possibly 4. I thought Melissa Leo played a great role as Alice Eklund-Ward. Christian Bale as Dick "Dicky" Eklund also stood out. Remarkably, trainer Mickey O'Keefe portrayed himself and did quite well even though he was was a cop in real life.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:09 pm Image

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fighter

The ratings were from 4 to 4½ stars. I'll go for about 3½ to possibly 4. I thought Melissa Leo played a great role as Alice Eklund-Ward. Christian Bale as Dick "Dicky" Eklund also stood out. Remarkably, trainer Mickey O'Keefe portrayed himself and did quite well even though he was was a cop in real life.
Good recommendation Brooklyn. Really enjoyed this one and I should watch it again. Better than Creed IMO.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nigel wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Good recommendation Brooklyn. Really enjoyed this one and I should watch it again. Better than Creed IMO.

Have to confess I learned something from the movie. Did not know Dicky Eklund and Micky Ward were related (half brothers). I well remember Dicky from his tough fight against legendary Sugar Ray Leonard. Sadly, he became chemically dependent after that and served time in the Big House. But he has turned his life around and is prospering greatly. Micky's fights vs Arturo Gatti are among the best in pro boxing history.

I just read of Christian Bale and the work he did to prepare for the role he played. First, he lost an amazing amount of weight, and second, he took long lessons in order to learn the Bostonese accent. The guy really did his homework as did many of the actors who spoke the accent quite convincingly.

Among my fave boxing movies are:

The Champion (1915)
The Harder They Fall (1956)
Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962)
Body & Soul (1947)
The Set Up (1949)
The Mighty McGurk (1947)

Rocky, Raging Bull, Fat City, The Fighter were all good as well.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:20 pm
Nigel wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Have to confess I learned something from the movie. Did not know Dicky Eklund and Micky Ward were related (half brothers). I well remember Dicky from his tough fight against legendary Sugar Ray Leonard. Sadly, he became chemically dependent after that and served time in the Big House. But he has turned his life around and is prospering greatly. Micky's fights vs Arturo Gatti are among the best in pro boxing history.

I just read of Christian Bale and the work he did to prepare for the role he played. First, he lost an amazing amount of weight, and second, he took long lessons in order to learn the Bostonese accent. The guy really did his homework as did many of the actors who spoke the accent quite convincingly.

Among my fave boxing movies are:

The Champion (1915)
The Harder They Fall (1956)
Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962)
Body & Soul (1947)
The Set Up (1949)
The Mighty McGurk (1947)

Rocky, Raging Bull, Fat City, The Fighter were all good as well.
While not critically acclaimed I thought Bleed For This was pretty decent. I had interest in Vinny Pazienza, who was a wildly entertaining fighter in my late college years up in NE.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nigel wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:17 pm
While not critically acclaimed I thought Bleed For This was pretty decent. I had interest in Vinny Pazienza, who was a wildly entertaining fighter in my late college years up in NE.

Will check for that one. I thought Paz was one really tough dude but his career was upended. Made a valiant comeback.

✱✱✱✱✱✱✱✱

Watched an old forgotten Jimmy Durante comedy The Great Rupert - 1950

Beautiful Terry Moore in this little gem & she remains charming and elegant today at 91 years young.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Rupert

Cletus

Sunset Boulevard

Post by Cletus »

What a great movie. First time I ever really watched it through. While watching, I noticed many influences on other movies (like To Die For and Misery). Holden is great. Swanson is great as the crazy has-been but she never goes too far. No wonder it's listed at the top of so many best of lists.

In case you feel like watching this classic, it's here--free with commercials (which mute automatically each time after you mute the first commercial)

https://www.crackle.com/watch/6214

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”