Brexit

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Brexit

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote:
HooDat wrote:I never said painless, I said as smooth as possible. Don't underestimate the voters - they knew what they were asking for. They may have even been willing to take a little hit to get it. Brits are stubbornly independent people (at least in their minds).
Sorry, wasn't clear----I meant the Brexit political leaders, not the people themselves.

And I don't agree that the the British people who voted to leave understand the economic consequences of their choice.

They didn't understand and didn't care... It was the British version of the deplorables.....
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

They were being flat-out lied to by the Brexiteers, including a bunch of hooey about spending money on the National Health Service instead of sending it to the EU:

The day after Brexit won, the Brexiteers admitted it was all a big lie, but, oops! too late.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
a fan wrote:
HooDat wrote:I never said painless, I said as smooth as possible. Don't underestimate the voters - they knew what they were asking for. They may have even been willing to take a little hit to get it. Brits are stubbornly independent people (at least in their minds).
Sorry, wasn't clear----I meant the Brexit political leaders, not the people themselves.

And I don't agree that the the British people who voted to leave understand the economic consequences of their choice.

They didn't understand and didn't care... It was the British version of the deplorables.....
^^^^^ this

and in all the various ramifications of TLD's use of the word... (see below)..
dislaxxic wrote:Without meaning to "come at you" hoodog, don't you think there's a little bit of "defending" going on when you kinda justify the referendum's success the first time by now taking a kinda macro standpoint of "well, they made the right choice because it's just because of, you know, they want to protect their sovereignty".

That's obviously NOT all it's about, right?

I never said it was the "right" or the "wrong" choice. Unfortunately in a democracy, and even in a democratic republic, the system is not geared toward getting to the "correct" answer (if there is such a thing) it is aligned to get to the answer that reflects the will of the people.

If you want the people led by their "betters" than ditch the idea of pretending you have a democracy and jump straight to something else. There is no rule that democracies have to be "right". But they certainly work better when the voters are well informed. Now who's fault is it if they are not? Who is generally responsible for the delivery of information on free societies? ... the elite. The same elite who bemoan how stupid the "deplorables" are.

History is littered with the failures of "elites" who couldn't see very well from up on their high horses....

...it is paved with the grist of the deplorable non-elites who are repeatedly ground to a pulp as the elites run train on them over and over again.....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HooDat wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
a fan wrote:

^^^^^ this

and in all the various ramifications of TLD's use of the word... (see below)..
dislaxxic wrote:Without meaning to "come at you" hoodog, don't you think there's a little bit of "defending" going on when you kinda justify the referendum's success the first time by now taking a kinda macro standpoint of "well, they made the right choice because it's just because of, you know, they want to protect their sovereignty".

That's obviously NOT all it's about, right?

I never said it was the "right" or the "wrong" choice. Unfortunately in a democracy, and even in a democratic republic, the system is not geared toward getting to the "correct" answer (if there is such a thing) it is aligned to get to the answer that reflects the will of the people.

If you want the people led by their "betters" than ditch the idea of pretending you have a democracy and jump straight to something else. There is no rule that democracies have to be "right". But they certainly work better when the voters are well informed. Now who's fault is it if they are not? Who is generally responsible for the delivery of information on free societies? ... the elite. The same elite who bemoan how stupid the "deplorables" are.

History is littered with the failures of "elites" who couldn't see very well from up on their high horses....

...it is paved with the grist of the deplorable non-elites who are repeatedly ground to a pulp as the elites run train on them over and over again.....
We have many deplorables that are "elite" and in the 1%..... in the US, many are called Senator or Congressman......

Who voted for Brexit? Individual and regional data combined
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Brexit Endgame: One Month Out with No Clarity in Sight [LawFare]

"With barely a month remaining before the United Kingdom is scheduled to leave the European Union (EU), London is no closer to having a ratified deal, an agreement to extend negotiations, or preparations in place to manage a hard exit. British Prime Minister Theresa May has promised to hold the next parliamentary vote on her Brexit deal by March 12, a mere 17 days before the departure date. Yet the EU has shown little readiness to budge on her demands for changes to the Northern Ireland backstop."

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Funny thing is, the economists who said the cost to the economy (short term) if the Brits choose to leave, have largely already accrued. From that stand point, the damage has been done.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

old salt

Post by old salt »

If the UK ends up crashing out of the EU, we need to do everything we can to support them & do whatever we can to mitigate or buffer the adverse impact on our most loyal & critical ally, ...along with Canada, of course. It's time for North Atlantic solidarity.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I'm sure Trump will do that. He's very good at sustaining our traditional alliances.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

We don’t need to do squat to help the UK. The voters were lied to, promised were made that could never be kept and the May government is as dysfunctioal as ours

Trump on the other hand wants to take advantage of the situation. So does Putin. Breaking up the EU and NATO has been a foreign policy goal of Russia. Personally I would like to see Scotland go independent and remain

We have friends whose kids who were to start working in London in June. One is now going to NYC and another to Dublin. People and companies are relocating
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

OCanada wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:24 pm We don’t need to do squat to help the UK. The voters were lied to, promised were made that could never be kept and the May government is as dysfunctioal as ours

Trump on the other hand wants to take advantage of the situation. So does Putin. Breaking up the EU and NATO has been a foreign policy goal of Russia. Personally I would like to see Scotland go independent and remain

We have friends whose kids who were to start working in London in June. One is now going to NYC and another to Dublin. People and companies are relocating
The vote to bring government control back onshore and to be closer to the decisions made about their lives was "deplorable." Really?

Its been over two years and they still don't have the control they voted for. Expensive suits in BRUSSELS say FU brits we have your lives in our hands and we're not giving it back to you.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

EU perfectly willing to let Brits "take control", it's the British Parliament that refuses to vote in favor of any specific divorce plan.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

6” is Trumpian. I didn’t use the word deplorable he did.

The word I would have used if I wanted to label it is wrong if the economic interests and well being of the residents are its primary goal it was a bad decision.

Russian money and tech were deeply involved. Promises that could never be kept were made. There was an entire campaign of disinformation.

EU is fine with letting them go as noted by CU77. May has had proposal after proposal rejected by Parliament. They want to have their cake and eat it too. The EU is flawed. It is a huge undertaking but imo it’s benefits far outweigh its liabilities, if Putin wants it broken up and Trump is in favor if I were the Brits I would be HS omg a Severna case of “ agenbite of inwit”
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

OCanada wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:57 am 6” is Trumpian. I didn’t use the word deplorable he did.

The word I would have used if I wanted to label it is wrong if the economic interests and well being of the residents are its primary goal it was a bad decision.

Russian money and tech were deeply involved. Promises that could never be kept were made. There was an entire campaign of disinformation.

EU is fine with letting them go as noted by CU77. May has had proposal after proposal rejected by Parliament. They want to have their cake and eat it too. The EU is flawed. It is a huge undertaking but imo it’s benefits far outweigh its liabilities, if Putin wants it broken up and Trump is in favor if I were the Brits I would be HS omg a Severna case of “ agenbite of inwit”
Oh no russian collusion!
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Trumpian again.

The Russian involvement in Brexit is established as it is here.

So far we don’t know what Muller’s report says about collusion. We do know “Bury it Barr” said something we just don’t know if it is accurate. From a judicial perspective the question is whether it is probable under existing statutes. Legal results are not the equivalent of truth. They may or may not overlap. We do know there is ample evidence of quid pro quo and that the administration do not want the indicted Russian nationalists brought here to testify any more than Putin did. If there is nothing to hide total transparency is nothing to fear and yet Trump has upped his daily quotient of lies to over 22 and is desparatejy trying to get ahead of the report if not withhold as much as possible.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

OCanada wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:21 pm Trumpian again.

The Russian involvement in Brexit is established as it is here.

So far we don’t know what Muller’s report says about collusion. We do know “Bury it Barr” said something we just don’t know if it is accurate. From a judicial perspective the question is whether it is probable under existing statutes. Legal results are not the equivalent of truth. They may or may not overlap. We do know there is ample evidence of quid pro quo and that the administration do not want the indicted Russian nationalists brought here to testify any more than Putin did. If there is nothing to hide total transparency is nothing to fear and yet Trump has upped his daily quotient of lies to over 22 and is desparatejy trying to get ahead of the report if not withhold as much as possible.
[/quoted

Bury it Barr😄😄

You people slay me
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Buy the way a couple Russian coconspirators wanted to go to trial immediately

Mueller declined
old salt

Post by old salt »

Common Market 2.0 might have a chance.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47639946
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Nope, parliament voted that one down today too.

Return to “POLITICS”