Our Undeclared Wars

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Our Undeclared Wars

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:45 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:37 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:50 pm The Supreme Moolah refuses to talk to Trump, other than to say "Death to America".
Part of his job is to get him to talk.

Obama did it. Surely Trump can, too.
Did the guy in the tan suit (I refuse to post his name) ever meet with or speak directly with Khamenei ?
...or just tweet love.
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/02/ ... mance.html
Why are you posting this link? Do you agree with their points?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:51 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:47 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:16 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:01 pm Imagine that.
Iran said the drone initially operated in stealth mode immediately after takeoff from it's base in the SW of the UAE.
That's being interpreted as meaning the US controllers did not immediately turn on the drone's IFF transponder.

The RQ-4 is not a "stealthy" aircraft. It is a large radar target, with limited mobility, designed to operate at very high altitudes, well above civilian air traffic. The Naval version has stronger wings which allow it to rapidly descend to get closer imagery of a target, if necessary.

There are multiple nation's civil air traffic control facilities in the area which should have radar tapes which would include the drones flight path.
Russia would not be one of them.

Maybe we'll get a "show & tell" at the NATO conf or G-20, after showing it to potential convoy coalition partners.
I don't necessarily believe the Russians or the Iranians or the Americans. I have said it before, from the stand point of how this plays out in the future it really doesn't matter. What I find interesting is the Russians sticking their nose in!
It matters greatly in gathering support from other nations.
Good luck with getting support beyond lip service on anything related to Iran from anyone other than the right-wing Israelis, Saudis, etc. No one trusts this Administration nor should they. Not only does our Commander-in-Chief lie with regularity, he claims our intelligence can't be trusted, and it's clear that whatever he says today is open to entirely different self-interpretation tomorrow. Day trader and a bad one.
DMac

Post by DMac »

"Make Iran Great Again"
Yup, I heard the Prez say that the other day, gotta figure the Iranians got a nice belly laugh out of that one. The Prez is such a tactful and smooth negotiator/operator.
Really gotta wonder what the Prez knows about the history of Iran. Figure he can go back to the BC era? 900 AD? 1900?
DJT's gonna make Iran great again....got some news for you, Prez, them Iranians don't much give a f what you think. I'd bet they find you to be quite an entertaining jackass though.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:04 pm "Make Iran Great Again"
Yup, I heard the Prez say that the other day, gotta figure the Iranians got a nice belly laugh out of that one. The Prez is such a tactful and smooth negotiator/operator.
Really gotta wonder what the Prez knows about the history of Iran. Figure he can go back to the BC era? 900 AD? 1900?
DJT's gonna make Iran great again....got some news for you, Prez, them Iranians don't much give a f what you think. I'd bet they find you to be quite an entertaining jackass though.
He is talking about Sumeria.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:54 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:50 pm The Supreme Moolah refuses to talk to Trump, other than to say "Death to America".

Did the guy in the tan suit (I refuse to post his name) ever meet with or speak directly with Khamenei ?
...or just tweet love.
It's the most detail I could find about communications berween the tan suit guy & the Supreme Moolah.
Did they ever meet or have a phone con ?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Phone conversation. I'm sorry...and I'm not saying this sarcastically.....I always assume you have more hard information on anything to do with the Middle East than I do.

They had one phone call in 2013. First direct contact between Iran and US leader since the Revolution. I believe that was the only call.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-un-a ... 6S20130928

Obama wanted to meet in person when he came to NY a year or so later when Rouhani was in New York to speak at UN. No dice.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:59 pm
Iran said the drone initially operated in stealth mode immediately after takeoff from it's base in the SW of the UAE.
That's being interpreted as meaning the US controllers did not immediately turn on the drone's IFF transponder.

The RQ-4 is not a "stealthy" aircraft. It is a large radar target, with limited mobility, designed to operate at very high altitudes, well above civilian air traffic. The Naval version has stronger wings which allow it to rapidly descend to get closer imagery of a target, if necessary.

There are multiple nation's civil air traffic control facilities in the area which should have radar tapes which would include the drones flight path.

Maybe we'll get a "show & tell" at the NATO conf or G-20, after showing it to potential convoy coalition partners.
I don't necessarily believe the Russians or the Iranians or the Americans. I have said it before, from the stand point of how this plays out in the future it really doesn't matter. What I find interesting is the Russians sticking their nose in!
Good luck with getting support beyond lip service on anything related to Iran from anyone other than the right-wing Israelis, Saudis, etc. No one trusts this Administration nor should they. Not only does our Commander-in-Chief lie with regularity, he claims our intelligence can't be trusted, and it's clear that whatever he says today is open to entirely different self-interpretation tomorrow. Day trader and a bad one.
International Maritime Security
India's already sending 2 warships to the region. The Brits already have a frigate in the Gulf & they're sending 100 Marines to ride on Brit owned ships.
It's not a matter of supporting the US. It's to protect their nation's ships & oil supply.
It's worth it to them just to keep down insurance costs.
The Japanese, S Koreans & Chinese could send Marines as ship riders as the Brits are doing.
The Aussies & Singapore have been sending warships & commanded CTF 150.
Last edited by old salt on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:24 pm Phone conversation. I'm sorry...and I'm not saying this sarcastically.....I always assume you have more hard information on anything to do with the Middle East than I do.

They had one phone call in 2013. First direct contact between Iran and US leader since the Revolution. I believe that was the only call.

Obama wanted to meet in person when he came to NY a year or so later when Rouhani was in New York to speak at UN. No dice.
So tan suit guy met with Iran's President, not the Supreme Moolah whose name Trump can't pronounce.
...just trying to get straight where Trump's falling short of his predecessor.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

old salt wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:19 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:54 pm

...or just tweet love.
It's the most detail I could find about communications berween the tan suit guy & the Supreme Moolah.
Did they ever meet or have a phone con ?
:lol: Who needs to meet when you have a Twitter affair like this? Where are the back-at-chuhs though Grand Ruler?...seems like unrequited love to me...poor Barack.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Brit F-35B's on 6 wk deployment to ME, operating out of RAF base on Cyprus.
"Hoovering" up sensor data.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... irst-time/
They will deploy later this year aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:44 pm A quick timeout here. A very emotional for this old soldier ceremony going on in the rose garden. Staff Sgt. David Bellavia is being awarded his Medal of Honor for his heroism during the second battle of Fallujah. You want to see a real hero... look up his MOH citation. Thank you Staff... you did what you had to do to save your squad members. I am proud again to have been a US Army infantryman. Staff... I salute you.
None of you people have a single thing to say about this... shame on every damn one of you. Go back to your nonsense conversations and ignore a real American hero. :evil: :evil: :evil: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... d-bellavia
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:12 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:44 pm A quick timeout here. A very emotional for this old soldier ceremony going on in the rose garden. Staff Sgt. David Bellavia is being awarded his Medal of Honor for his heroism during the second battle of Fallujah. You want to see a real hero... look up his MOH citation. Thank you Staff... you did what you had to do to save your squad members. I am proud again to have been a US Army infantryman. Staff... I salute you.
None of you people have a single thing to say about this... shame on every damn one of you. Go back to your nonsense conversations and ignore a real American hero. :evil: :evil: :evil:
I'm with you C&S! Indeed a genuine hero...

And you're right, this chatter is nonsense in comparison.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:24 pm Phone conversation. I'm sorry...and I'm not saying this sarcastically.....I always assume you have more hard information on anything to do with the Middle East than I do.

I don't think that was so much a Rouhani problem as it was a got to keep up appearances for the real hardliners. Trump would have suffered from the same problem and certainly has bigger problems now. If he had gone with a charm offensive without his BS "make a problem first" step he may have had some success in at least getting a meeting.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

tech37 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:21 pm
None of you people have a single thing to say about this... shame on every damn one of you. Go back to your nonsense conversations and ignore a real American hero. :evil: :evil: :evil:
I'm with you C&S! Indeed a genuine hero...

And you're right, this chatter is nonsense in comparison.
You and I agree. I listened to his ceremony on the radio and tears were streaming down my eyes. I expected someone here on this forum may have paid attention and recognized the sacrifice made. Sadly outside of yourself I was dead wrong. I expected better of the people here. I guess shitting on Trump is a more important thing to do from some of the usual suspects here. I would hope for one brief moment partisanship could be put aside... sadly... I was wrong. God bless you Staff Sgt. Bellavia. Your sacrifice will never be forgotten. At least by this old soldier.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
a fan

Post by a fan »

I haven't left work yet, my friend. Need to be more patient with some of us..... I get to watch evening news when I get home, which is around 8pm MST these days. So I hadn't seen this story yet. Offense or disrespect was not intended.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Yes, there was a very moving story on this on NPR this AM. Some guys look regular and they are just remarkable people.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

None of you people have a single thing to say about this... shame on every damn one of you. Go back to your nonsense conversations and ignore a real American hero. :evil: :evil: :evil: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... d-bellavia
Why should anyone respond to those who dont respond back?
a fan

Post by a fan »

This certainly helps explain why so many here seem to think that dropping out of the deal with Iran made perfect sense. And why I'm having such a difficult time understanding some of the views here.

This line of thinking is simply beyond my comprehension. And I wouldn't care so much, except it's clear to me that folks who think like this have access to our nuclear arsenal.

The survey of 3,000 Americans was conducted by the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists and British research firm YouGov (edit--a conservative British Pollster), and asked people to consider a scenario in which North Korea had tested a long-range missile and the U.S. government was considering how to respond.

“For many of these hawks, support for an attack, even in a preventive war, does not significantly decrease when the story says that the United States would use nuclear weapons that are expected to kill 1 million North Korean civilians,” the report found.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/on ... a4362ed2bb
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:15 pm This certainly helps explain why so many here seem to think that dropping out of the deal with Iran made perfect sense. And why I'm having such a difficult time understanding some of the views here.

This line of thinking is simply beyond my comprehension. And I wouldn't care so much, except it's clear to me that folks who think like this have access to our nuclear arsenal.

The survey of 3,000 Americans was conducted by the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists and British research firm YouGov (edit--a conservative British Pollster), and asked people to consider a scenario in which North Korea had tested a long-range missile and the U.S. government was considering how to respond.

“For many of these hawks, support for an attack, even in a preventive war, does not significantly decrease when the story says that the United States would use nuclear weapons that are expected to kill 1 million North Korean civilians,” the report found.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/on ... a4362ed2bb
If they look and talk funny, who cares?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:28 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:59 pm

International Maritime Security
India's already sending 2 warships to the region. The Brits already have a frigate in the Gulf & they're sending 100 Marines to ride on Brit owned ships.
It's not a matter of supporting the US. It's to protect their nation's ships & oil supply.
It's worth it to them just to keep down insurance costs.
The Japanese, S Koreans & Chinese could send Marines as ship riders as the Brits are doing.
The Aussies & Singapore have been sending warships & commanded CTF 150.
Acting SecDef at NATO Defense Ministers Conference.
https://www.apnews.com/7ddb054383bf40378c4e7f6053594e31

“This is not Iran versus the United States. This is Iran certainly versus the region, and arguably the broader global environment,” said Esper, who took over Monday as acting secretary, replacing Patrick Shanahan, who resigned last week.

Esper said his goal is, first, for allies to express outrage at Iran’s activities, which the U.S. says include the drone shootdown and bombings of several tanker ships in the Gulf of Oman. Second, he said he wants allies to support “any range of activities” to help deter conflict with Iran.

“This is the reason why we need to internationalize this issue and have our allies and partners work with us to get Iran to come back to the negotiating table and talk about the way ahead,” he said.

Esper said discussions about creating a maritime coalition to secure freedom of navigation in the Persian Gulf are still in the early stages. It’s too early, he said, to start “counting ships” and which allies have agreed to participate.
War at Sea in the Arabian Gulf

Return to “POLITICS”