media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: media matters

Post by cradleandshoot »

I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5104 ... versity-of

When this woman says that skilled journalists are forced to make bad decisions every day that says an awful lot about the state of our MM today.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:29 am https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5104 ... versity-of

When this woman says that skilled journalists are forced to make bad decisions every day that says an awful lot about the state of our MM today.
So, what she's saying is that Trump drives ratings, but it's bad to give him so much oxygen ala 2016. She wants more coverage of Biden, as he does not get enough such oxygen, and she wants more coverage of the necessity for mail-in voting...something that only gets coverage when Trump says something stupid about it...

In other words, she wants more positive coverage of Biden and more urgency around need for mail-in voting...but Trump drives the ratings...which is exactly what Trump wants...

Producer Ariana Pekary recently resigned from MSNBC with an open letter accusing the news network of predicating its editorial process on ratings and alleging that its model "blocks diversity of thought and content because the networks have incentive to amplify fringe voices and events."

"I don’t know what I’m going to do next exactly but I simply couldn’t stay there anymore," Ariana Pekary, a producer for MSNBC's second-most-watched program, "The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell," wrote on her website. "My colleagues are very smart people with good intentions. The problem is the job itself. It forces skilled journalists to make bad decisions on a daily basis."

"It’s possible that I’m more sensitive to the editorial process due to my background in public radio, where no decision I ever witnessed was predicated on how a topic or guest would 'rate.' The longer I was at MSNBC, the more I saw such choices — it’s practically baked into the editorial process — and those decisions affect news content every day," she continued. "Likewise, it’s taboo to discuss how the ratings scheme distorts content, or it’s simply taken for granted, because everyone in the commercial broadcast news industry is doing the exact same thing."

"But behind closed doors, industry leaders will admit the damage that’s being done," she continued.

Pekary, who worked on O'Donnell's show until July 24, added that she believes the news media is making the same mistake it did in 2016 by focusing almost exclusively on President Trump in 2020 and not so much on presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.

"This cancer risks our democracy, even in the middle of a presidential election," she writes. "Any discussion about the election usually focuses on Donald Trump, not Joe Biden, a repeat offense from 2016 (Trump smothers out all other coverage). Also important is to ensure citizens can vote by mail this year, but I’ve watched that topic get ignored or 'killed' numerous times."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

What was your point in that last post MD?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:26 pm What was your point in that last post MD?
I was wondering the same thing. :roll: Maybe MD was enjoying the gift pack from a Fan? :D
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

What a country!

The Twitter censor deciding if conservatives can tweet or not was former Press secretary for Kamala Harris—for 4 years.

Facebooks version worked for Hillary.

What country!
a fan

Post by a fan »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:58 pm What a country!

The Twitter censor deciding if conservatives can tweet or not was former Press secretary for Kamala Harris—for 4 years.

What country!
Imagine private companies doing what they want, six.

Should we get the government to stop them, Comrade 6foot?
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

a fan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:19 pm
6ftstick wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:58 pm What a country!

What country!
Imagine private companies doing what they want, six.

Should we get the government to stop them, Comrade 6foot?
These decisions make them publishers not platforms.

They need to lose their status.

You're ok then with liberal progressives censoring content that isn't liberal progressive.

You need to read 1984 again..
a fan

Post by a fan »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:30 pm These decisions make them publishers not platforms.

They need to lose their status.
Great. So FoxNews has to publish what I want, and if they don't it's censorship?

If a kid at your company wants to decorate, say, your outgoing billings with BLM logos, and you say "no", that's censorship, is it?

6ftstick wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:30 pm You're ok then with liberal progressives censoring content that isn't liberal progressive.
Of course I am! This is America, my friend! Private companies can do what they want with their business without government
interfering.

This is yet another example of your Republican party being completely and utterly lost: you're demanding that the government step in, and FORCE a private business to operate in a manner that makes YOU happy. You've completely lost it!

Newsflash: the Conservatives you're worried about are 100% free to get off their duffs, and start their own damn website. "Problem" solved.

I have NO IDEA why FoxNation hasn't done that. Not a clue.

Laziness? None of you know how to code?

6ftstick wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:30 pm You need to read 1984 again..
It appears that you do. You're the one who wants the government to tell a private company what they can and can't do.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Whenever you have an event when you know Democrats will get in touch with their fan-girl emotionally-hysteric sides, try to tune in to network and cable news filled with DNC mouthpieces. It is the best entertainment for free on the planet.

Obviously, you could read here at Fanlax how Democrats instantly go all fangirl on a pick like Kamala, not realizing that most blacks don't like Kamala since most Fanlax Dems are white libs and assume they know what black like but never really do, but whatevs; their online girlish screams were a tipoff that the media would go bananas over the pick as well.

They didn't disappoint! First up at bat was Andrea Mitchell...holy moly, I had to assume after watching her on The Today Show that Andrea is Kamala's mother? Does anyone recall the gloom on Andrea's face when Trump was announced as the winner in 2016? Whatever the opposite is was this morning on Andrea's face. :lol:

The better example was Claire McCaskill on MSNBC. First off, what a dingbat...I don't think I have ever heard a less intelligent human being, how was she ever elected as a Senator? Notwithstanding her intellectual vacuousness, she is equally emotional and hysterical. Her take on Covid is for the ages dumb, like a yenta who sits home and worries about the weather all day long. There is no chance this woman doesn't belong in a group home. I had to read up on her because I don't know who she is, and naturally (what is it with Dems and public housing?!?!?) her husband makes his dough in subsidized Section 8 housing.

Our media is so broken. It is a transparent DNC rooting section. I feel for any of you gullible types that you read this drek and eat it up like they are honest brokers. You are becoming dumber as a result. May God have mercy upon your soul.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Journalism at its finest... just can't help themselves.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:51 am Journalism at its finest... just can't help themselves.

I'd like to see one sane Democrat or even sane NeverTrumper (I am assuming there must be one lurking here) defend this juxtaposed obit headlines. It is so revealing of our media.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:50 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:51 am Journalism at its finest... just can't help themselves.

I'd like to see one sane Democrat or even sane NeverTrumper (I am assuming there must be one lurking here) defend this juxtaposed obit headlines. It is so revealing of our media.
Uh oh. Pete is back, tilting at his censorship windmill.

We should probably shut these newspapers down, and replace them with far more respectable, government-run outlets.

Right Pete?
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

a fan wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:16 pm

We should probably shut these newspapers down, and replace them with far more respectable, government-run outlets.

Right Pete?
Well you've certainly gone over the edge.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:16 pm

Right Pete?

What did my post have to do with censorship? I find it embarrassing how transparently biased our media is, which you constantly deny for some inexplicable reason as it practically shouts at you daily. And these obits are chefs kiss examples.

How about you just saying, ‘yeah this is embarrassing’? Is that really too much of an ask on your part?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:49 pm What did my post have to do with censorship? I find it embarrassing how transparently biased our media is, which you constantly deny for some inexplicable reason as it practically shouts at you daily.
:lol:

I don't deny that they're biased, and I never have. These are independently owned businesses, and can write whatever they please. OF COURSE they are biased. Duh.

But sure-----it's a "coincidence" that YA didn't post a biased FoxNews headline.

Any headlines that show Dems in a negative light? You, YA, and 6ft react with delight like Pavlov's dog. You think THOSE headlines are truthful and neutral.

Sell it somewhere else, to a far dumber crowd......
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:15 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:49 pm What did my post have to do with censorship? I find it embarrassing how transparently biased our media is, which you constantly deny for some inexplicable reason as it practically shouts at you daily.
:lol:

I don't deny that they're biased, and I never have. These are independently owned businesses, and can write whatever they please. OF COURSE they are biased. Duh.

But sure-----it's a "coincidence" that YA didn't post a biased FoxNews headline.

Any headlines that show Dems in a negative light? You, YA, and 6ft react with delight like Pavlov's dog. You think THOSE headlines are truthful and neutral.

Sell it somewhere else, to a far dumber crowd......

You could far more easily say: our media is biased.

It seems to upset you when someone posts a glaringly liberal biased headline. Why?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:03 pm You could far more easily say: our media is biased.
As could you. That's not what you or YA did. Get it?
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:03 pm It seems to upset you when someone posts a glaringly liberal biased headline. Why?
You and YA aren't fooling anyone.

Neither of you care about bias.

But sure, keep right on pretending you do. Neat-o.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:12 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:03 pm You could far more easily say: our media is biased.
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:03 pm It seems to upset you when someone posts a glaringly liberal biased headline. Why?

That is pure BS and you know it. Re-read my post, it does nothing but criticize biased journalism.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:23 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:12 pm

That is pure BS and you know it. Re-read my post, it does nothing but criticize biased journalism.
Ok. I'll take your word for it. And I mean it. Apologies for not taking your word for it.

Return to “POLITICS”