"The Deep State" aka the American Intelligence Community

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
njbill

Re: "The Deep State" - aka A Trump Lizard Brain Delusion

Post by njbill »

Not clear whether it was DOJ or Sid who altered Strzok’s notes, though my money is on Sid.

The judge has requested further submissions to get to the bottom of what happened here.

John Durham is putting someone in jail for altering a document. Is Sid going to be prosecuted?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

njbill wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:07 pm Not clear whether it was DOJ or Sid who altered Strzok’s notes, though my money is on Sid.

The judge has requested further submissions to get to the bottom of what happened here.

John Durham is putting someone in jail for altering a document. Is Sid going to be prosecuted?

Your TDS has destabilized you.

Relax. Sid doesn’t need to cheat. She isn’t like Weissman.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:13 pm
njbill wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:07 pm Not clear whether it was DOJ or Sid who altered Strzok’s notes, though my money is on Sid.

Relax. Sid doesn’t need to cheat. She isn’t Weissman.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Relax. Sid doesn’t need to cheat. She isn’t Weissman.
This was not mentioned in the WSJ, WP or CNBC reporting on today's hearing :
https://www.wsj.com/articles/flynn-atto ... 1601406570[

WASHINGTON—An attorney for former national security adviser Michael Flynn told a U.S. District Court judge on Tuesday that she had recently spoken with President Trump about the case and briefed Jenna Ellis, who serves as a legal adviser to Mr. Trump’s reelection campaign.

The attorney, Sidney Powell, said she asked the president “not to issue a pardon and gave him a general update on the status of the litigation.”

A pardon would end Mr. Flynn’s legal jeopardy, although he appears on the precipice of winning outright dismissal of his case after the Justice Department earlier this year reversed course and asked the court to drop the case. Tuesday’s hearing is on the question of whether the trial judge, U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan, would sign off on that effort.

In a testy exchange with Judge Sullivan, Ms. Powell attempted to cite executive privilege to avoid discussing the substance of her conversation with the president, a legal principle aimed at shielding some conversations from public scrutiny that has generally been recognized as applying only to close presidential advisers within the government.

Judge Sullivan replied: “You don’t work for the government” and pressed Ms. Powell to answer his question about her interactions with the White House about the criminal case. Ms. Powell went on to accuse Judge Sullivan of bias and asked him to recuse himself from the case, a request that the judge asked her to put in writing.

In the past, presidents have taken steps to avoid becoming involved directly in criminal cases to preserve the Justice Department’s reputation for independence. Mr. Trump has departed from those norms, frequently making comments about criminal cases. He has also made decisions about who to grant pardons or commutations to himself, rather than rely on a process usually driven by specialized attorneys at the Justice Department who review such petitions.

In July, Mr. Trump said that Mr. Flynn was “doing very well with respect to his case.” Mr. Trump added: “I hope that he’s going to be able to win it.” He hasn’t ruled out a pardon in the future.

Ms. Ellis confirmed that Ms. Powell had asked the president not to issue a pardon, and said: “There is no legal reason that Judge Sullivan should not dismiss this case immediately. He is a judge, not a prosecutor.”

Mr. Flynn’s case remains the last unresolved matter stemming from former special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation. It relates to statements the former national security adviser made in January 2017 about his contacts with Russia’s ambassador to the U.S. in the weeks before Mr. Trump’s inauguration. He was forced out of the administration in its first month over his statements to other officials about his contacts with the Russians.

Mr. Flynn was initially a cooperating witness in Mr. Mueller’s probe into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, which concluded that Moscow had meddled in pursuit of a Trump victory. Mr. Flynn pleaded guilty to a single charge of lying to the FBI and providing key testimony to the special counsel about his time as a Trump campaign adviser and White House national security chief. The cooperation with the government delayed his sentencing.

Last year, he abruptly changed tactics, ending his cooperation with the government on the eve of the trial of a former business associate, firing his legal team at the influential Washington law firm Covington & Burling, hiring Ms. Powell, and seeking to withdraw his guilty plea.

Mr. Flynn argued that the government had withheld exculpatory evidence from him and that the FBI had mishandled his initial interview. The Justice Department sided with Mr. Flynn and sought to withdraw the charges earlier this year, concluding that it didn’t believe it could win the case at trial—despite Mr. Flynn’s guilty plea.

In response, Judge Sullivan appointed John Gleeson, a retired federal prosecutor and judge, to make arguments about whether Mr. Flynn perjured himself and whether the court could force the government to go to trial over its objections.

In response, Mr. Flynn’s lawyers took the case to a Washington, D.C. appeals court—saying the judge had no right to hear from an outside lawyer and he had no choice but to dismiss the case. That argument was rejected by the full appeals court, returning the matter to Judge Sullivan.

At Tuesday’s hearing, Justice Department lawyer Kenneth Kohl defended the government’s decision to drop the case, saying that political interference from the White House didn’t play any role in the decision to drop the case.

“I’ve been around the courthouse for three decades. I’m the senior ranking career person in our office right now. And I want to appear today because the allegations against our office that we would operate or act with a corrupt political motive just are not true,” said Mr. Kohl. “It didn’t happen here.”

Mr. Kohl said that the case was dismissed because the FBI relied on flimsy legal grounds to investigate and interview Mr. Flynn, that the officials who supervised the probe and interviewed Mr. Flynn had been dismissed from the FBI over credibility issues and due to questions about whether the probe had been tainted by politics.
/quote]
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yes, it wasn’t.

Not sure when the WSJ article was written (that is, what time today) as the hearing is continuing still.

In any event, the issue of the alteration of the Strzok notes seems to be pretty significant. It should be.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Sullivan has taken the matter under advisement, with further briefing to be submitted in a week.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:25 am
old salt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:11 pm Preventative Whataboutism -- it was OK for FBI, DoJ & Obama Admin officials to abuse their powers & act unethically because they feared Trump what Trump might do.
You're the one who told us that acting unethically is sooper-dooper, remember?

How much did you make fun of everyone over getting mad at Trump's unethical, yet legal, Turnberry games?

You LIKE unethical behavior, remember? So long as it's legal? Problem? What problem?

You did this to yourself. And this ain't the last time the DoJ or FBI will do this.......so long as they go after the correct party with the correct letter by their name? You'll wave it through. Just like they like it.....
CU88 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:47 am
old salt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:11 pm Preventative Whataboutism -- it was OK for FBI, DoJ & Obama Admin officials to abuse their powers & act unethically because they feared Trump what Trump might do.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I miss the OLD old salt, when he was a source of history and facts; not a partisan hack...
:lol: ...no you don't. You can't handle the facts, that's why you resort to personal attacks, while afan blows off the facts with his unintelligible whataboutism rants. You're only interested in history or facts which support your point of view.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Interestingly, the DOJ does not seem to be seeking dismissal with prejudice. Sid, of course, wants a dismissal with prejudice.

If the dismissal is without prejudice, then a future DOJ (Biden administration?) could prosecute Flynn for any crimes he committed as long as the statute has not run.

I am not crystal clear about this, but I don’t think that, regardless of what happens with the motion, Flynn is off the hook for other lies he may have told the FBI and for FARA violations for which he hasn’t been charged to date.

Edit: other accounts of the hearing say the DOJ is seeking a dismissal with prejudice of the specific charges to which Flynn pled guilty. That would still leave Flynn subject to prosecution for other lies and other crimes, including FARA.

That is largely theoretical, however, because if Trump loses, he will no doubt pardon Flynn before January 20 for anything and everything. If Trump wins, his DOJ will not prosecute Flynn for anything.
Last edited by njbill on Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:16 pm :lol: ...no you don't. You can't handle the facts, that's why you resort to personal attacks, while afan blows off the facts with his unintelligible whataboutism rants. You're only interested in history or facts which support your point of view.
Nope. That ain't whataboutism. Whataboutism, for 1000th time, is when you give one guy a pass because someone else did it. And what you call "rants" is me making fun of your silly and petty unwillingness to hold TeamTrump to the same standard as the FBI.

I'm not giving the FBI a pass. Or the DoJ. Or Hillary. Or Trump. Or Biden. In each and every case, I called out their corruption.

You, on the other hand, give anything with a little R by it a full pass, with a litany of "so what? that's not illegal?" and every other excuse you can come up with as to what what TeamTrump does is fine. I think my favorite is "we knew he was a jerk before he was elected". :lol: Oh yeah, that means he can do anything, and it's fine.

The part I take issue with, as you very well know, is your insistence that there was a coordinated coup involving several Federal Departments, and about a baker's dozen plus Federal Employees, all with the coordinated "plan" to take out Trump.

The jury arrived on that YEARS ago after, oh, about the third investigation into the investigators who investigated Trump
(did you get all that? :lol: )..., and you just don't want to hear that there was no coordinated coup.

I want every FBI agent who is caught breaking the law prosecuted. Same for DoJ, the FBi, and to your horror, TeamTrump.

I have had this same view this entire time, outside of giving up every now and again, and mocking your insistence to hold TeamTrump to one ethical standard, and the FBI and DoJ to a far higher standard.

Because you and I know you don't REALLY believe that we should hold different parts of our Federal Government to entirely different ethical standards.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Sullivan is coming off the rails. He says the sentencing phase is already underway & claims (beyond his scope) that Flynn failed to cooperate in the case against his business parther, which fell apart for other reasons.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/2 ... ing-422925

Sullivan is embarrassing himself & tarnishing his reputation for impartiality.
He caused this mess because of his histrionics at Flynn's earlier sentencing hearing.
https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/5 ... hael-flynn
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:34 pm Sullivan is coming off the rails. He says the sentencing phase is already underway & claims (beyond his scope) that Flynn failed to cooperate in the case against his business parther, which fell apart for other reasons.

Sullivan is embarrassing himself & tarnishing his reputation for impartiality. He caused this mess because of his histrionics at Flynn's earlier sentencing hearing.
Actually your comments mostly appear to be quite self-descriptive. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Kismet wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:39 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:34 pm Sullivan is coming off the rails. He says the sentencing phase is already underway & claims (beyond his scope) that Flynn failed to cooperate in the case against his business parther, which fell apart for other reasons.

Sullivan is embarrassing himself & tarnishing his reputation for impartiality. He caused this mess because of his histrionics at Flynn's earlier sentencing hearing.
Actually your comments mostly appear to be quite self-descriptive. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

He caused this mess because of his histrionics at Flynn's earlier sentencing hearing.
I guess I don't understand you. As to the "sentencing phase," that was where we were when your hero admitted in open court, in writing and orally several times, that he acted in violation of the US criminal code. Every part of the process after that can, it seems to me, be considered part of the sentencing phase of a federal criminal proceeding.

I listened to a good deal of the hearing, and it appeared that Judge Sullivan uncovered the alteration of a document (that's a no, no, if your barometer isn't working) and the fact that lead defense counsel was in direct touch with the President of the United States and maybe the Attorney General. Most criminally accuseds don't have ready access to Presidents and AGs.

I love that you say "Sullivan caused this mess;" it is a statement of our times and of your own decay. No ownership or responsibility for anything. Michael Flynn caused all of this when he started undermining the existing policy of the legally defined functions of the existing President. And Michael Flynn caused this by lying to the FBI and then to the Vice President. Flynn was the actor and protagonist in all of this. Own it.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Guys like Sullivan embody the awful incestuous nature of DC and what is euphemistically known as the Deep State.

All these guys need to be fired. Will take two terms of Trump.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:49 pm

I guess I don't understand you. As to the "sentencing phase," that was where we were when your hero admitted in open court, in writing and orally several times, that he acted in violation of the US criminal code. Every part of the process after that can, it seems to me, be considered part of the sentencing phase of a federal criminal proceeding.

I listened to a good deal of the hearing, and it appeared that Judge Sullivan uncovered the alteration of a document (that's a no, no, if your barometer isn't working) and the fact that lead defense counsel was in direct touch with the President of the United States and maybe the Attorney General. Most criminally accuseds don't have ready access to Presidents and AGs.

I love that you say "Sullivan caused this mess;" it is a statement of our times and of your own decay. No ownership or responsibility for anything. Michael Flynn caused all of this when he started undermining the existing policy of the legally defined functions of the existing President. And Michael Flynn caused this by lying to the FBI and then to the Vice President. Flynn was the actor and protagonist in all of this. Own it.
At one time, Flynn did own it and pled guilty. So of course it is in the sentencing phase, which is why this is so unusual, as nothing has uncovered any evidence that he was not guilty. Giant problem with the move to dismiss...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:56 pm

At one time, Flynn did own it and pled guilty. So of course it is in the sentencing phase, which is why this is so unusual, as nothing has uncovered any evidence that he was not guilty. Giant problem with the move to dismiss...

The DC Democrat barnacle attaches itself to decent Americans and won’t let go. We need to put this beast out of its misery and let Americans flourish yet again.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Did you bother to read the links I posted below each of my assertions ? Those are Sullivan's own words.

DoJ can provide the court a true copy of the document in question. I'm surprised the govt had not already included a copy in their filing.

No offense, but I find Turley more convincing than you. How many times have you appeared before Sullivan ?

Where are the charges that Flynn lied to the VP ? Pence says, upon further reflection, that it was a misunderstanding.
DoJ has admitted that it was an unjustified prosecution & that the FBI officials involved acted improperly. Own it.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

old salt wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:03 pm

Did you bother to read the links I posted below each of my assertions ? Those are Sullivan's own words.

DoJ can provide the court a true copy of the document in question. I'm surprised the govt had not already included a copy in their filing.

No offense, but I find Turley more convincing than you. How many times have you appeared before Sullivan ?

Where are the charges that Flynn lied to the VP ? Pence says, upon further reflection, that it was a misunderstanding.
DoJ has admitted that it was an unjustified prosecution & that the FBI officials involved acted improperly. Own it.
Old weak sauce. Maybe just old at this point. And Turley may be the most discredited lawyer working the media in DC.

The DOJ explanation for reversing course is really weak. I know this guy is some icon to you. But he f@cked up.
old salt

Post by old salt »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:10 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:03 pm

Old weak sauce. Maybe just old at this point. And Turley may be the most discredited lawyer working the media in DC.

The DOJ explanation for reversing course is really weak. I know this guy is some icon to you. But he f@cked up.
...& I know that Weissmann, Rhee, Comey, McCabe, Strzok, Page & their Resistance cohorts are icons to you, but they REALLY f@cked up.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:31 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:16 pm :lol: ...no you don't. You can't handle the facts, that's why you resort to personal attacks, while afan blows off the facts with his unintelligible whataboutism rants. You're only interested in history or facts which support your point of view.
Nope. That ain't whataboutism. Whataboutism, for 1000th time, is when you give one guy a pass because someone else did it. And what you call "rants" is me making fun of your silly and petty unwillingness to hold TeamTrump to the same standard as the FBI.

I'm not giving the FBI a pass. Or the DoJ. Or Hillary. Or Trump. Or Biden. In each and every case, I called out their corruption.

You, on the other hand, give anything with a little R by it a full pass, with a litany of "so what? that's not illegal?" and every other excuse you can come up with as to what what TeamTrump does is fine. I think my favorite is "we knew he was a jerk before he was elected". :lol: Oh yeah, that means he can do anything, and it's fine.

The part I take issue with, as you very well know, is your insistence that there was a coordinated coup involving several Federal Departments, and about a baker's dozen plus Federal Employees, all with the coordinated "plan" to take out Trump.

The jury arrived on that YEARS ago after, oh, about the third investigation into the investigators who investigated Trump
(did you get all that? :lol: )..., and you just don't want to hear that there was no coordinated coup.

I want every FBI agent who is caught breaking the law prosecuted. Same for DoJ, the FBi, and to your horror, TeamTrump.

I have had this same view this entire time, outside of giving up every now and again, and mocking your insistence to hold TeamTrump to one ethical standard, and the FBI and DoJ to a far higher standard.

Because you and I know you don't REALLY believe that we should hold different parts of our Federal Government to entirely different ethical standards.
Take the time to read the words of the FBI's lead investigator into Flynn & deny that there was a concerted effort to get Trump (& Flynn, by extension) rather than an objective investigation, informed solely by the facts.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... usion-clue

I tried to point it out to you as it was happening, because of the leaks.
If it was a fair, impartial, fact based investigation, there would have been no leaks.
We'd have never heard of Crossfire Hurricane. It would be a closed file in the FBI Director's bottom drawer.

Return to “POLITICS”