The Fourth Estate and Politics

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: The Fourth Estate and Politics

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:04 pm
foreverlax wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:00 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:48 am
dislaxxic wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:04 am Looks like THIS media is on "our side"!

Fox’s Baier: Despite What Trump Says, ‘This Was Not No Collusion, No Obstruction’

The "news division" (hate using that word in reference to anything at Fox) is starting to push back on the "entertainment/propaganda division". Saw a report on Amash yesterday where he told his local constituents that he was for impeaching Trump and they should become familiar with what is really in the Mueller report. A little old lady who only pays attention to "conservative" news sources said she had heard nothing about any of this other than the report exonerated Trump - she would have to pay more attention.

Fox executives if they are any good, and I suspect they are, have to be concerned about a viewer backlash if the Mueller report breaks through. Some of these people actually believe the fair and balanced nonsense. They actually have an opportunity to get right with the world by now pushing the Mueller report as something their viewers should pay attention to.

Fox is definitely starting to show some cracks between news and entertainment.
Brett Baier is about as fair and balanced as Fox's news can get....guess he is now a Rino. ;)

Baier always impressed me more as a water carrier for the "entertainment" side of the house, even though he worked for the "news" side. I prefer Shep Smith to Baier or Wallace. I sometimes wonder what Wallace's father thinks of him working for Faux News. Smith is the only one I would tend to believe prior to checking with other non-Fox sources. Even he is corrupted sometimes by the company he keeps. The fact that Baier and Wallace are "rebelling" speaks volumes. Doesn't take a genius to realize the fact that the emperor having no cloths will at some point come home to roost. The "news" side of the house is right to be concerned.

Hate to rain on C&S's parade, but Carter is a problem as a reporter(although very cute). I can see why other "newsmen" would have a problem with her. Her research is generally (not always) pretty thin. Her signature award Sigma Delta Chi has been awarded to lots of journalists, 6.5% of those who apply for the award (that's right you have to personally apply - it is not a nominated award) are awarded. It is not a Murrow. She is a run of the mill reporter in this day and age of the dumbing down of America (the World).
Your not raining on my parade 72. My point was that it was implied that she didn't have the credentials or the experience to do her job. I understand a lot of you folks out there don't like what she has to report, that is a matter of opinion. If you want to explain why she is not qualified to be an investigative reporter... well you probably have to go a little deeper than you disagree with her stories. I think the reality is she pisses you off and you can't stand it. IMO that is much closer to reality since I understand how thin skinned you are as well. :P
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

I find that most of what she writes is commentary on what others are saying...has she ever broken a real story.

Jonathan Swan and Robert Costa, are two of the best, young reporters...they actually do real work.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

foreverlax wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:39 pm I find that most of what she writes is commentary on what others are saying...has she ever broken a real story.

Jonathan Swan and Robert Costa, are two of the best, young reporters...they actually do real work.
I never said she was the best. I only said she has the qualifications to do the job. If it wasn't for that blue dress who would have ever know of some guy named Matt Drudge. If she keeps digging her blue dress is out there waiting for her somewhere.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:01 pm
foreverlax wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:39 pm I find that most of what she writes is commentary on what others are saying...has she ever broken a real story.

I never said she was the best. I only said she has the qualifications to do the job. If it wasn't for that blue dress who would have ever know of some guy named Matt Drudge. If she keeps digging her blue dress is out there waiting for her somewhere.
I never said you said....I was giving my opinion on who I found to be hard working, unbiased reporters.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Sean Hannity: Sources say William Barr may have inspector general FISA abuse report

https://youtu.be/zmS-w43O2Cw

Sources? The same unnamed sources they continue to complain about from the "MSM"...Pulitzer is right around the corner.

Last month Hannity said his sources told him the inspector general investigation was "done and it's devastating."

At the time, Fox News legal analyst Gregg Jarrett said the people "likely" in legal jeopardy are former FBI Director James Comey, former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, former FBI General Counsel James Baker, former FBI special agent Peter Strzok, former FBI lawyer Lisa Page, "maybe" former CIA Director John Brennan and former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, and "certainly" Christopher Steele and Fusion GPS co-founder Glenn Simpson.
So many predictions, so little facts
old salt

Post by old salt »

foreverlax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:51 am Sean Hannity: Sources say William Barr may have inspector general FISA abuse report

https://youtu.be/zmS-w43O2Cw

Sources? The same unnamed sources they continue to complain about from the "MSM"...Pulitzer is right around the corner.

Last month Hannity said his sources told him the inspector general investigation was "done and it's devastating."

At the time, Fox News legal analyst Gregg Jarrett said the people "likely" in legal jeopardy are former FBI Director James Comey, former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, former FBI General Counsel James Baker, former FBI special agent Peter Strzok, former FBI lawyer Lisa Page, "maybe" former CIA Director John Brennan and former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, and "certainly" Christopher Steele and Fusion GPS co-founder Glenn Simpson.
So many predictions, so little facts
They've already commenced their preemptive PR defense campaign.
24/7 smoke screen from the MSNBC/CNN legal talking heads.
Minimal selective reporting by NYT/WP.
Sure, maybe we cut some corners, but the threat justified it.
They'll never have to buy another drink.
Toast to the Heroes of the Resistance.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:24 pm They've already commenced their preemptive PR defense campaign.
24/7 smoke screen from the MSNBC/CNN legal talking heads.
Minimal selective reporting by NYT/WP.
And the "story" is nowhere to be found on FoxNews, either. Wow. That's quite a conspiracy you have on your hands.
old salt

Post by old salt »

You haven't seen Clapper, Brennan, Comey (via Tweets), McCabe & Baker on sympathetic cable tv ?

...almost as popular as Michael Avenatti.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Wanna lay a bet? If any of those chaps are indicted? CNBC, CNN, Fox, and all the rest will be all over it. Steak dinner. Your choice of salad dressing.

And there goes your theory that a story is being buried.

You want the media to report that Sean Hannity said something? Really?
old salt

Post by old salt »

The other channels aren't reporting. They're just playing Fox News clips.

I've already said that it's quite possible that no one will be indicted.

I just want to learn who did what & hear them explain their actions.

It's almost impossible to catch a leaker & only a crime if it's classified info.

It's amusing hearing an uneasy MSM make the case why Assange should be protected like a journalist.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:35 am The other channels aren't reporting. They're just playing Fox News clips.
Again, why would anyone write a story saying that a report "might" come out? Why not, you know, wait for the report to come out?
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:35 am I've already said that it's quite possible that no one will be indicted.
It is.
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:35 am I just want to learn who did what & hear them explain their actions.
Very little chance of that happening.

Right up there with allowing the people's representatives to question Mueller. It's laughable that we're not doing that, and going over that report.

These people work for us, the people. We lost that thread over the last 20 years..
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:27 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:35 am The other channels aren't reporting. They're just playing Fox News clips.
Again, why would anyone write a story saying that a report "might" come out? Why not, you know, wait for the report to come out?
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:35 am I've already said that it's quite possible that no one will be indicted.
It is.
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:35 am I just want to learn who did what & hear them explain their actions.
Very little chance of that happening.

Right up there with allowing the people's representatives to question Mueller. It's laughable that we're not doing that, and going over that report.

These people work for us, the people. We lost that thread over the last 20 years..
We work for them....as they even selected their voters.....It’s nuts.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

I wanna watch Azra Turk on Dancing with the Stars
+ Christopher Steele, Stefan Halper & Josef Mifsud vs Flynn, Papadop & Carter Page on Family Feud.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

the pro war NY Slimes won't use political cartoons anymore:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

'GET RID OF THEM': DONALD TRUMP AND VLADIMIR PUTIN BOND OVER DISLIKE OF JOURNALISTS AND 'FAKE NEWS'

Trump says he wants to "get rid of [journalists]" - exactly one year after the Annapolis Gazette shooting.

No matter how serious he was, no one should be supporting this kind of stuff in America. Please write your representatives about it.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

This little clip really points out the hypocrisy that the media uses to feed we the sheep. In the past week, this was exactly what the left was doing vs. Trump.

The media seems to be nothing more than "fluffers" to get us all spun up.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:07 am This little clip really points out the hypocrisy that the media uses to feed we the sheep. In the past week, this was exactly what the left was doing vs. Trump.

You're posting a clip from a left wing blog most of us have never heard of (not MSM) that quite accurately exposes the Fox News gross hypocrisy???

It's actually quite illuminating. Or is that your point?

Are you saying that the MSM's pundits who have been critiquing Trump's "diplomacy" with various foreign dictators are disingenuous?

Most of what I've heard on the primary such outlets has been critiquing that there's simply no substance to the 'diplomacy', that it's chaotic and non-strategic. Some go further in pointing out that the fawning support of Trump in this arena on the hard right is so baldfacedly hypocritical that it borders on the absurd.

Much of what I've also heard from the pundits and left-leaning guests has been that they're quite in favor of diplomacy, of 'talking' with foreign adversaries. But they don't believe diplomacy should be about photo ops for dictators, much less for domestic politics in the US. Substance is what matters.

That doesn't sound hypocritical or disingenuous to me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:29 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:07 am This little clip really points out the hypocrisy that the media uses to feed we the sheep. In the past week, this was exactly what the left was doing vs. Trump.

You're posting a clip from a left wing blog most of us have never heard of (not MSM) that quite accurately exposes the Fox News gross hypocrisy???

Are you saying that the MSM's pundits who have been critiquing Trump's "diplomacy" with various foreign dictators are disingenuous?

Most of what I've heard on the primary such outlets has been critiquing that there's simply no substance to the 'diplomacy', that it's chaotic and non-strategic. Some go further in pointing out that the fawning support of Trump in this arena on the hard right is so baldfacedly hypocritical that it borders on the absurd.

Much of what I've also heard from the pundits and left-leaning guests has been that they're quite in favor of diplomacy, of 'talking' with foreign adversaries. But they don't believe diplomacy should be about photo ops for dictators, much less for domestic politics in the US. Substance is what matters.

Yes that is my point in red. I was openly admitting that BOTH SIDES DO THE SAME THING and the left is currently doing the same --> Trump in this instance. But as expected, because you have a complete disdain for Trump, your reply is written with precision to be absolutely certain to justify their (the MSM) behavior towards Trump without acknowledging fault or bias on their part.

Enjoy the Holiday MD, and I hope you and family have a blessed and safe 4th!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:50 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:29 am

Yes that is my point in red. I was openly admitting that BOTH SIDES DO THE SAME THING and the left is currently doing the same --> Trump in this instance. But as expected, because you have a complete disdain for Trump, your reply is written with precision to be absolutely certain to justify their (the MSM) behavior towards Trump without acknowledging fault or bias on their part.

Enjoy the Holiday MD, and I hope you and family have a blessed and safe 4th!
Well, yes, I do have complete and indeed utter disdain for Trump. No bones about it.
As a human being, he is close to being the lowest of the low.
Not Charlie Manson-level, but pretty darn reprehensible.

But I was simply reporting that I see an actual difference in the MSM pundits' critique of Trump's 'diplomacy', a nuance that you appear to have missed, relative to the hypocrisy on Fox.

They may be both fruit, but it's apples and oranges.

Absolutely the MSM have a different lens, a 'bias' to be critical of Trump rather than congratulatory. And many of those pundits gave Obama more of a pass, were more likely to defend his actions and statements. Then again, Obama was far more restrained in his demeanor, and whether he was being truthful in his statements was far less in question, regardless of one's views of his policies.

Truth being a core value of a free press. That matters.

Again, I'm simply reporting that the MSM's pundits' and guests' critique is on the substance, not that there's 'diplomacy' at all. The critique of Obama was that there'd be any attempt at all.

IMO, plenty of legit areas to critique Obama foreign policy choices...on the substance. But at least there was substance!
But again, it's an apples and oranges comparison.

Return to “POLITICS”