The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
OCanada

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by OCanada »

Bernie imo has about a zero chance of winning. His support in the minority communities is weak at best. He has not released his taxes in 10 years. His ideas are more mainstream now than people realize. He opposed Russia sanctions and generally seems to favor leaders like Putin. Interesting links among his past and present staff to various places.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

OCanada wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:43 am Bernie imo has about a zero chance of winning. His support in the minority communities is weak at best. He has not released his taxes in 10 years. His ideas are more mainstream now than people realize. He opposed Russia sanctions and generally seems to favor leaders like Putin. Interesting links among his past and present staff to various places.
Not necessarily agreeing in all the particulars, but do agree Bernie doesn't stand much of a chance. His biggest issues are pretty mainstream now.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I should have mentioned age too. He will be 78? I think. The obvious diminishme of the mental acuity of Reagan and Trump should give people pause about anyone that age
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

I agree, Bernie's moment may have come and gone.

But if you want to think ruthlessly political - think about this statement:
OCanada wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:43 am His support in the minority communities is weak at best.
Ugly as it may be, ultimately a politician can get electged without ANY votes from the "minority community". Because.... well they are in the minority. More than half the country does not vote. Period, stop there. Trump won because he got a huge portion of the electorate out to the polls for the first time. Obama won in a similar fashion - those are the margins. Everyone else...?, your vote has been counted and dismissed - why do you think we get the nut-jobs we have for politicians?

Bernie's whiteness problem may very well keep him from winning the DNC nomination - but they have already made it clear that they don't want him winning the nomination anyway, so if he is going to win, it will be through pure brute force.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

It’s an Electoral College issue not a popular vote issue. Trump won because the minority vote in certain states was below the turnout for Obama. Had the turnout stayed the same..,, Very understandable I think

Had Stein not been running with Russian support and some of Bernie’s people not had a snit it might have been different also
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Wasn't sure where to put this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/31/opin ... e=Homepage

"Things began to change after the 1970s. Stakeholder capitalism — which, Georgescu says, optimized the well-being of customers, employees, shareholders and the nation — gave way to short-term shareholder-only capitalism. Profits have soared at the expense of worker pay. The wealth of the median family today is lower than two decades ago. Life expectancy has actually fallen in the last few years. Not since 2004 has a majority of Americans said they were satisfied with the country’s direction.

“Capitalism is a brilliant factory for prosperity. Brilliant,” Georgescu says. “And yet the version of capitalism we have created here works for only a minority of people.”

In his retirement, when he’s not spending time with his family, Georgescu has been trying to agitate other corporate leaders. He has published a book, called “Capitalists, Arise!” He has written op-eds and given talks. He talks about the signs of frustration, in both the United States and Europe. He has seen societies fall apart, and he thinks many people are underestimating the risks it could happen again. “We’re not that far off,” he told me.

Some other business leaders are also worried about rising inequality. Warren Buffett is. So are Martin Lipton, the dean of corporate lawyers, and Laurence Fink, who runs the investment firm BlackRock. “There’s class warfare, all right,” Buffett has said, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning,”

Georgescu believes that business, more than government, can solve the problem. He told me that executives should resist pressure to maximize short-term profits. Companies could make even more money if they invested in their workers and became more productive and innovative, he says. Costco is a favorite example of his.

I’m skeptical that corporate America will voluntarily fix the situation, because the last four decades have been very lucrative for top executives and investors. To my mind, government action — including higher taxes on the rich and more bargaining power for workers — is necessary to bring back broad-based prosperity.

But I am grateful for Georgescu’s efforts, because the culture and values of corporate America have a big effect on society. Not so long ago, top executives made decisions that took into account not just their own bank accounts but also their workers, their communities and their country. Georgescu is asking them to do so again."
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

More important than Mueller: Trump’s ‘fake economy’ is finally getting exposed

"Now, more than half way through Trump’s first term things continue to deteriorate in these places and Trump continues to try and misdirect their anger at undocumented immigrants.

This fall the Federal Reserve Bank in Minneapolis reported that in the upper-Midwest​,​ which includes Wisconsin​,​ farm bankruptcies, are now on the rise at double the rate of failures over the same period between 2013 and 2014.

The accelerating wealth concentration, which Trump’s $1.5 trillion tax cut only made worse, continues. The latest numbers on opioid linked deaths and suicide indicate a ​worsening​ crisis that’s linked to a wide and deep national decline evidenced by the reality our average life expectancy has declined for three years in a row for the first time since WW I. At the same time the national birthrate has hit a 30-year low.

In Minnesota, State Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm was quoted in the press identifying a “lack of social connectedness and opportunity” as a key factor in the increases for suicides and opioid linked deaths in that state."

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Congresswomen Katie Porter skewers Jamie Dimon today. Katie has degrees from Yale and Harvard.

She presents the case of a California single mom who wants to take an entry level job at Dimon's bank. The job pays $16 per hour.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Speaking of wages. Studies are showing raising the minimum wage would have de minimize negative, if any. Effect in unemployment
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/te ... arch-taxes I don't think Trump can tweet his way out of this. So the republicans were going to bring fiscal responsibility back to government? that sure didn't happen did it?
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The list of counter productive financial/ fiscal actions the GOP has enacted are lengthy and going to prove costly to the ex omg and well being of the country.

The most egregious is trying to leverage the Fed to abandon its legal mandate and pour additional fiscal stimulus into the economy to bail them out from the last major bad decision. Recall the promise of tgexrwx Bill was it would produce GDP of at least 4% and Howard’s of 6%, It would bring as much as 2 trillion of of shore money. It would provide a middle class tax cut etc.

Those opposing said it would widen the deficit and achieve none of the above. The trillions are still off shore. The deficit is exploding. 10 million tax payers saw taxes increase. That weaponize the tax law and have done nothing on infrastructure. Companies moved off shore.

GDP got a big boost for a quarter to 4,2% because of the fiscal stimulus and has been declining lever since. He is trying to use monetary policy to provide another stimulus to drive the markets up. That is not what the Fed is for by law.

There are characteristics or prerequisites of healthy economies he is tearing apart. Once gone they will be difficult to gain back.

I don’t want to go overlook the poor decisions to start trade and tariff wars. Antagonize countries we need to have healthy relationships with etc. He gave away the farm to China and Asia and is also sacrificing sectors of rapid growth for the next two decades.

Meanwhile automation and AI are already here and the ciubtry is ill prepared for the dislocations and shifts
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/te ... come-taxes With a flat tax, this would not happen. How can 50 million people pay in income tax? How screwed up can our tax code be?
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Consider: Thirteen out of the top 15 states most dependent on the federal government voted for President Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/states-d ... labD-2mPwY
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

They are net users of federal revenue provided by economically viable states that are net donors. Those stayed are CA, MD, NY, MA etc.

Further the net user states fall at the bottom of social measures that account for well being, quality of educational systems, quality of healthcare etc

They are states with failed economies
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

A look at ITC’s underwhelming report on USMCA

— The ITC forecast the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement would create about 28,000 jobs in the U.S. autos sector, in stark contrast to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative's projection of 76,000 new auto jobs created over the next five years.

A LOOK AT ITC’S UNDERWHELMING REPORT ON USMCA: The highly anticipated ITC report on USMCA found, as expected, that the new deal will provide modest gains to the U.S. economy and labor market.

The 375-page report’s topline numbers show the new pact would increase the U.S. GDP by $68.2 billion, or 0.35 percent, by its sixth year. USMCA would also create 176,000 U.S jobs, increasing domestic employment by 0.12 percent, the independent panel found.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The bilateral trade agreements should provide small incremental increases. Marginal is another adjective. There is little net change from NAFTA which Trump describes as the worst ever. Apparently it was not so bad after all. It’s questionable it was worth the effort all in
tech37

Post by tech37 »

OCanada wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:57 am The bilateral trade agreements should provide small incremental increases. Marginal is another adjective. There is little net change from NAFTA which Trump describes as the worst ever. Apparently it was not so bad after all. It’s questionable it was worth the effort all in
Um... USCMA has not even been ratified yet.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I believe I said should not will

Return to “POLITICS”