All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
dislaxxic

All Things Environment

Post by dislaxxic »

The thread on this topic at the "other" site is a bad one...but unfortunately the original thread poster disappeared, and there seemed to be no interest from any admin type to make the thread name more copacetic.

NASA's site on the topic might be a good place to kick off the new, and ever-expanding reality of this topic...

As thatsmell guides us...HAVE AT IT!

Last edited by dislaxxic on Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Re: Climate Change - Fact or Fiction?

Post by dislaxxic »

California researchers confront ‘apocalyptic’ threat of climate change

"The consequences of climate-related water impacts are particularly acute for communities already dealing with a legacy of inequalities. Low-income households, people of color, and communities already burdened with environmental pollution are suffering the most severe impacts caused by water supply shortages and the rising cost of water, according to the assessment.

“Implementation of climate justice requires examining and designing processes for planning and adaptation that reflect principles of equity and inclusion from the outset, as well as considering the distribution of climate burdens and benefits,” the researchers write. “California’s adaptation policy, research, and programs emphasize ensuring that low-income and vulnerable communities are meaningfully included in plans and programs for climate adaptation plans and projects.”

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Why is a science based topic located under "Politics"?

Oh, this is why.

“Prematurely retiring Palo Verde in order to satisfy this ill-conceived renewable energy mandate,” Jenna Rowell, an APS spokesperson, told Environmental Progress, “will impose a major setback in our vision of providing a sustainable clean energy future for Arizona.”

APS says it is already planning on retiring its two coal plants. As such, if the Steyer initiative passes, Arizona will become heavily-dependent on natural gas as its only source of reliable electricity.

APS also says the cost of electricity would rise significantly. California and Germany have seen their electricity rates increase by 23% and by 50%, respectively, since they started closing nuclear plants and scaling up renewables.

And yet solar and wind still only comprised 26 percent of Germany’s electricity in 2017 and 23 percent of California’s in 2017 — just half of the 50 percent that Steyer's ballot initiative would require from renewables in 2030.

http://environmentalprogress.org/big-ne ... ean-energy
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

dislaxxic wrote:The thread on this topic at the "other" site is a bad one...but unfortunately the original thread poster disappeared, and there seemed to be no interest from any admin type to make the thread name more copacetic.

NASA's site on the topic might be a good place to kick off the new, and ever-expanding reality of this topic...

As thatsmell guides us...HAVE AT IT!

Thank you for providing this link. The solution tab is lacking, however. (solutions for "clean" energy )
No mention of bio-fuels. No mention of this: http://terrapower.com/about

Why not nuke power for US citizens mr. Gates?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca ... 05a66f2c12

Bill Gates has long understood the essential role of reliable power in eradicating global poverty, and its evil stepchildren war and terrorism, and decided that nuclear was the best long-term solution for base load power.

The interesting (scary) aspect of the planned 400 nuclear power plant build is the collaboration with the company that makes our Navies power plants.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

runrussellrun wrote:Thank you for providing this link. The solution tab is lacking, however. (solutions for "clean" energy )
When I click on "Energy Innovations" under the "Solutions" menu, I get https://climate.nasa.gov/solutions/ener ... ategory=28

First two articles are about biofuels and there are a bunch more in there.

I do have to take to task the title of this thread though.

Climate change is fact.

The arguments are whether man is having an impact on climate change (overwhelming amount of data is pointing to yes) and what can or needs to be done about it.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

holmes435 wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:Thank you for providing this link. The solution tab is lacking, however. (solutions for "clean" energy )
When I click on "Energy Innovations" under the "Solutions" menu, I get https://climate.nasa.gov/solutions/ener ... ategory=28

First two articles are about biofuels and there are a bunch more in there.

I do have to take to task the title of this thread though.

Climate change is fact.

The arguments are whether man is having an impact on climate change (overwhelming amount of data is pointing to yes) and what can or needs to be done about it.
I apologize for mistyping what I was thinking....bio digester. (killing two birds with one stone. Sewage treatment and energy production ) But, I did make you look. :D What about all the other "solutions", especially the mitigation/adaptation section. I am not finding anything tangible to implement in personal or business life to reduce co2 emissions. But I did hear on NPR this morning that the mindset in liberal places like California are worried about helmetless riders on LESS co2 emitting scooters or bikes. HUH
Last edited by runrussellrun on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

The climate has actually gotten cooler. When the Dinosaurs roamed, upstate NY temps yearly average was in the 80s. Humans aren't at fault for climate change. Yet another tax ploy to steal money. Can't Democrats make their own money? Or do they always want to steal it from others in the form of pointless taxation? BTW. Google Year without a summer. I am sure those folks in 1815 would have love for their to have been a heat wave!
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
a fan

Post by a fan »

I thought google was corrupt? What happened to that?
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Bandito wrote:The climate has actually gotten cooler. When the Dinosaurs roamed, upstate NY temps yearly average was in the 80s. Humans aren't at fault for climate change. Yet another tax ploy to steal money. Can't Democrats make their own money? Or do they always want to steal it from others in the form of pointless taxation? BTW. Google Year without a summer. I am sure those folks in 1815 would have love for their to have been a heat wave!
Please, tell us more!

Bandito

Post by Bandito »

a fan wrote:I thought google was corrupt? What happened to that?
They have censored conservative voices and promote liberal ideology. DJT hilariously and truthfully pointed this out on Twitter. How is that relevant to looking up what "The Year without a Summer" was? Stop trolling.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Bandito wrote: They have censored conservative voices and promote liberal ideology.
Right. If that's what you think, why did you just tell a poster to google something?

What part of this don't you get?
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

a fan wrote:
Bandito wrote: They have censored conservative voices and promote liberal ideology.
Right. If that's what you think, why did you just tell a poster to google something?

It is true. What don't you understand? Stop being a troll. The media in all forms is anti Trump and never report his successes which is pathetic and why so many people are #walkaway from the Democrat Party
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Bandito wrote:
a fan wrote:

It is true. What don't you understand? Stop being a troll. The media in all forms is anti Trump and never report his successes which is pathetic and why so many people are #walkaway from the Democrat Party
Go QAnon!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Climate Change is Fact...100%.. So is the temperature rising and falling as the years pass. Don't get caught up in the hype and just be rational and reasonable steward.

What is changing is the corporations making crappy products and we are using and abusing the earth with "non" natural resources....punching holes in the ozone on a daily basis with satellites and space craft also do not help.

The best thing we could ever do is make products that last again. Heck, even the Germans quality is now slipping just to keep up with the marketing ploy of "new and improved".
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
dislaxxic

planned obsolescenceRe: Climate Change - Fact or Fiction?

Post by dislaxxic »

"new and improved" AKA "planned obsolescence"

HooDat

Re: planned obsolescenceRe: Climate Change - Fact or Fiction

Post by HooDat »

dislaxxic wrote:"new and improved" AKA "planned obsolescence"

indeed
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

From weatherunderground (no, not Obama's terrorist friend )

Our top intensity models unanimously predict strengthening of Florence into a Category 3 or 4 hurricane by Tuesday, and the storm is also expected to increase in size. Florence will still be embedded in a relatively dry atmosphere, so it is possible the storm could suffer from dry air intrusions that would interfere with the intensification process, though.

We'll see.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote:From weatherunderground (no, not Obama's terrorist friend )

Our top intensity models unanimously predict strengthening of Florence into a Category 3 or 4 hurricane by Tuesday, and the storm is also expected to increase in size. Florence will still be embedded in a relatively dry atmosphere, so it is possible the storm could suffer from dry air intrusions that would interfere with the intensification process, though.

We'll see.
Is that friend Patty Hearst or this guy?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/putting-on-ayers/
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

I just blew thru the Low Country. Creeks and rivers are already high and the swamp is wet. Gas lines have started forming. This one looks like a witch.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Bandito wrote:The climate has actually gotten cooler. When the Dinosaurs roamed, upstate NY temps yearly average was in the 80s. Humans aren't at fault for climate change. Yet another tax ploy to steal money. Can't Democrats make their own money? Or do they always want to steal it from others in the form of pointless taxation? BTW. Google Year without a summer. I am sure those folks in 1815 would have love for their to have been a heat wave!
Even a simple google search will tell you that the year without a summer was caused mostly by the eruption of Mt. Tambora that year. There may have also been a contribution to the cooling effect by a volcanic eruption in the Philippines the previous year...

I have been teaching physics for 31 years, and astronomy for 26 at the college level. (And yes I have a PhD in physics as well). I can assure you that the evidence of the human effect on the climate is good science. The argument is more about exactly how bad it might get, and how much time we have to potentially counteract the effect.

And yes, some millions of years ago the temperature was significantly hotter. Many times in the past it was significantly colder, including at least one period where most all of the Earth was covered in ice...

But in the sense of recent history, the temperatures are definitely climbing (especially compared to the end of the last ice age). I show the following cartoon in my astronomy class - maybe that will show you some of the actual data...

https://xkcd.com/1732/

Return to “POLITICS”