All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:52 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:18 am
RedFromMI wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:15 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:11 am
RedFromMI wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:33 am And yes, there may be places where the forest management is not done like it should. You want a forest system that is more resiliant when fires do occur.
Oh...you mean like "sweeping" the forest floors? ;) Yes, that matters...quite significantly.
No - more like controlled burns to keep too much organic matter from building up. "Sweeping" the ground is only doable in fairly restrictive situations (like right around homes where controlled burning won't work).

Also, timber harvesting can be done to help as well - but politically it has a lot of competing interests. Clear cut? Selective cutting?
What you describe is exactly what the generic "sweeping" term implies. I know we are both type A's, but come on. :lol: Enjoy you Sunday Red!
What should become clear is that if the people in charge sit on their hands and do nothing these fires will occur every year. Deal with the problem or be ready to deal with the inevitable outcome. I would think the powers that be in California particularly should be more aggressive at identifying the most dangerous areas of dry kindling and deal with them ASAP.
Maybe Trump and Newsome read our FanLax posts :lol:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1305 ... 43618?s=21
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Silly Climate Change keeps fires alive and well. :roll: https://nypost.com/2020/09/14/oregon-ma ... more-cops/

Maybe the prosecutors and judges are also standing down in support of this movement.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:28 am Silly Climate Change keeps fires alive and well. :roll: https://nypost.com/2020/09/14/oregon-ma ... more-cops/

Maybe the prosecutors and judges are also standing down in support of this movement.
I said something similar a while back. One pinhead with a zippo and enough time on his hand can burn down half of a state. We can just blame it on climate change.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

I am old enough to remember that o d offered to help Vladimir Putin with Siberian wildfires while threatening to withdraw federal funding to California
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
old salt

Post by old salt »

...' heard OR Senator Wyden on CSPAN radio. pitching his 21st Century Civilian Conservation Corps. Overfunded, but a good idea.
Get those soft, unemployable millennials to put down their smart phones, pick up a chain saw & learn how to work with their hands.
https://kval.com/news/local/oregons-wyd ... -corps-act
Typical Lax Dad

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:33 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:28 am Silly Climate Change keeps fires alive and well. :roll: https://nypost.com/2020/09/14/oregon-ma ... more-cops/

I said something similar a while back. One pinhead with a zippo and enough time on his hand can burn down half of a state. We can just blame it on climate change.

For an obvious reason, Democrats don’t want to admit that arson is not climate change.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

After his rousing speech on climate change, Biden takes his private jet to the next campaign stop:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1305912512265641984

:lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:15 am After his rousing speech on climate change, Biden takes his private jet to the next campaign stop:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1305912512265641984

:lol:
yeah, the darn hypocrite...he's out of his basement and how dare he fly in a plane to go talk to voters (btw, which his campaign pays for in stark contrast to Trump's tax payer paid travel on Air Force One)

Sheesh, how about we spend the next 10 years investing in the technologies to make us the leader in the world in green energy and processes? Including jet fuel.

Gonna happen with Trump???
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:50 pm ...' heard OR Senator Wyden on CSPAN radio. pitching his 21st Century Civilian Conservation Corps. Overfunded, but a good idea.
Get those soft, unemployable millennials to put down their smart phones, pick up a chain saw & learn how to work with their hands.
yeah, those millennial are good for nuthin' "soft, unemployable"...my 25 year old niece told us last week that she gave notice, leaving her financial services job to do an Americorps stint in conservation in Utah beginning in October going through January. 8 days at a time in the wilderness, back to a youth hostel for a few days in between. Soft...unemployable... :roll:
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:57 am
old salt wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:50 pm ...' heard OR Senator Wyden on CSPAN radio. pitching his 21st Century Civilian Conservation Corps. Overfunded, but a good idea.
yeah, those millennial are good for nuthin' "soft, unemployable"...my 25 year old niece told us last week that she gave notice, leaving her financial services job to do an Americorps stint in conservation in Utah beginning in October going through January. 8 days at a time in the wilderness, back to a youth hostel for a few days in between. Soft...unemployable... :roll:
Oh no ! Will the economy survive with one less millennial digital money changer. Does she have carpal tunnel ?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 pm
Oh no ! Will the economy survive with one less millennial digital money changer. Does she have carpal tunnel ?
Exactly, fully employed, hard working, she feels a calling in environmental issues and is doing a career pivot in the midst of a pandemic. Very much in keeping with her prior HS and college interests.

She was President of her HS, captain of two sports, UVA plus grad Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy, worked in India and Africa during semesters abroad...not a big surprise that she'd be unsatisfied in financial services, though hopefully some good grounding that could stand her well, and for any org she joins.

She'll do great...carrying a 60 lb pack in the snow in the mountains of Utah...gonna be an adventure, for sure!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:35 pm
Exactly, fully employed, hard working, she feels a calling in environmental issues and is doing a career pivot in the midst of a pandemic. Very much in keeping with her prior HS and college interests.

She was President of her HS, captain of two sports, UVA plus grad Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy, worked in India and Africa during semesters abroad...not a big surprise that she'd be unsatisfied in financial services, though hopefully some good grounding that could stand her well, and for any org she joins.

She'll do great...carrying a 60 lb pack in the snow in the mountains of Utah...gonna be an adventure, for sure!

If she was a smart Democrat and before leaving Maryland for a reliably conservative state, she should vote a few dozen times; no one checks anything in Baltimore.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/b ... story.html
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:39 pm

If she was a smart Democrat and before leaving Maryland for a reliably conservative state, she should vote a few dozen times; no one checks anything in Baltimore.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/b ... story.html
2016, problems were immaterial to any election. And they were actually found.

She's a DC resident right now, or Baltimore County, not City...but hey, vote multiple times is the Trump mantra these days, so go ahead and project. But you're correct that she's a Democrat. Of my 8 nieces and nephews and son, (ages 24-30) I think only one nephew living in SC remains an R, but none are voting for Trump. At least half would have been voting R pre-Trump.

The GOP is losing that generation, perhaps for a long time.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

old salt wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 pm Oh no ! Will the economy survive with one less millennial digital money changer. Does she have carpal tunnel ?
Those darn millennials! Why, I got my job by walking into the office, demanding the manager, looking him in the eye and giving him a firm handshake! And did anyone help me pay for college? Nope, I worked part-time all summer and was able to pay full tuition like you're supposed to.

We're off to Boomer Humor land...

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

"She'll do great...carrying a 60 lb pack in the snow in the mountains of Utah...gonna be an adventure, for sure!"

I am glad she is a stout and healthy young woman. I humped that kinda weight and much more when my unit was training at Ft Greeley in Alaska. I am sure you are being facetious because it ain't an adventure, it just flat out sucks. If you can get through it without frostbite or hypothermia you will come out ahead of the game. I can give you a tip to forward to her. When your out humping through the snow and it is freezing cold out, reduce your layers of clothing. If you are sweating like crazy and you stop to take a break, that sweat will freeze to your skin and you are in trouble. I saw it happen to several soldiers. It happens real quick like to.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:56 pm

"She'll do great...carrying a 60 lb pack in the snow in the mountains of Utah...gonna be an adventure, for sure!"

I am glad she is a stout and healthy young woman. I humped that kinda weight and much more when my unit was training at Ft Greeley in Alaska. I am sure you are being facetious because it ain't an adventure, it just flat out sucks. If you can get through it without frostbite or hypothermia you will come out ahead of the game. I can give you a tip to forward to her. When your out humping through the snow and it is freezing cold out, reduce your layers of clothing. If you are sweating like crazy and you stop to take a break, that sweat will freeze to your skin and you are in trouble. I saw it happen to several soldiers. It happens real quick like to.
If she is really, really lucky and they do some winter tenting she may get to pull one of these around as well.

http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/an-akio-nightmare/

The akio us sled dogs pulled included a ten man arctic tent, gas cans, water cans, yukon stove and at least a weeks work of C rations for a rifle squad. It took 3 of us doggies to pull it that included carrying our ruck sacks and rifles and plodding around with snow shoes on. It was a real adventure all right... :D

Return to “POLITICS”