All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:33 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:15 am
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:02 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Check your keyboard..... it comes out as "blah blah blah".....
Why do it? I mean, you (collective) visit THAT restaurant a few times a year. You expect things to improve. Change. Be more fun, dynamic. Instead, you get the same UGLY waitress', lousy food and the best pull they have is Sam Adams Summer (yuck ) You promise yourself you WON'T come back.

So, your three words of sameness hit home. It says SO much more about you than me.
I couldn’t read your post.... it still comes out blah blah blah.... ;)
........and remembering the same group of grumps, telling the same group of stories.....to go along with the lousy food, beverage choice and staff....placed all around the restaurant. No reason to visit.

Guess you're proof that it was money well spent on that seminar, "Make snarky or sardonic remarks in ten words or less "
Come on man! Applebee’s is great! I even splurge for the Summer Ale....you and I know tats a great beer. TANATS!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Holy crappola! More rain is due to climate change????
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Interesting Human Interest Story. 20,000 people caught in a no-win situation.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

HooDat

Post by HooDat »

but I thought the science was settled ... why do we need new forecasting equipment...?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

HooDat wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:39 am
but I thought the science was settled ... why do we need new forecasting equipment...?

Have told people an infinity of times, the mathematical weather models are not the same mathematical models used to predict the climate!! Climate models do not predict weather!! Weather models do not predict climate!! These are different "computer programs".

The weather model being changed was written by Americans and did not do as good of a job predicting actual storm tracks as the current European written "computer program". This has been obvious for a few years, so the Americans changed their "computer program" to be more like the European.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The Holocene Epoch is voted to be the past. The Holocene began with the end of the last great ice age about 11,700 years ago. The Holocene is characterized by the rise of man, the ability to find his fossils everywhere on the planet. The Anthropocene is characterized by the ability to find the products of man everywhere on the planet, man's conquest of the planet, its subjugation. Scientists now have to pick a date which divides the two.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

More fun with climate change!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/19/clim ... e=Homepage

"New research offers one way to look at the enormity of the cost as policymakers consider how to choose winners and losers in the race to adapt to climate change. By 2040, simply providing basic storm-surge protection in the form of sea walls for all coastal cities with more than 25,000 residents will require at least $42 billion, according to new estimates from the Center for Climate Integrity, an environmental advocacy group. Expanding the list to include communities smaller than 25,000 people would increase that cost to more than $400 billion.

“Once you get into it, you realize we’re just not going to protect a lot of these places,” said Richard Wiles, executive director of the group, which wants oil and gas companies to pay some of the cost of climate adaptation. “This is the next wave of climate denial — denying the costs that we’re all facing.”
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:16 pm The Holocene Epoch is voted to be the past. The Holocene began with the end of the last great ice age about 11,700 years ago. The Holocene is characterized by the rise of man, the ability to find his fossils everywhere on the planet. The Anthropocene is characterized by the ability to find the products of man everywhere on the planet, man's conquest of the planet, its subjugation. Scientists now have to pick a date which divides the two.
Interesting article.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Link to page where you can get climate "stripes" (a graph that shows the deviations from normal as colors, with blue colors for cooler than normal and red for above normal) for individual states and cities in the US (dated back to 1895):

https://climatecentral.org/outreach/ale ... sPage.html
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Trump clarified it all. He isn’t ignoring climate change but he isn’t going to do anything about it because it would hurt corporate profits. Forgetting I suppose it would create other profits.
Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:19 am Link to page where you can get climate "stripes" (a graph that shows the deviations from normal as colors, with blue colors for cooler than normal and red for above normal) for individual states and cities in the US (dated back to 1895):

https://climatecentral.org/outreach/ale ... sPage.html
Good charts.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://sputniknews.com/science/2019071 ... -research/ I guess you environmental whack jobs will have to change the name to "climax change" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Barry predictions are dead on accurate. ;) The "potential" of 25 inches of rain fall fell remarkably short. But, by 2030, Manhatten will be under water.

Being on the bay for a week, still dirty. Nasty in fact. (Miles river/St. Mikeys ) 50 years plus and STILL nasty.

does tRump have monsanto cabinet members, like his predessor.?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:25 pm https://sputniknews.com/science/2019071 ... -research/ I guess you environmental whack jobs will have to change the name to "climax change" :lol: :lol: :lol:
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

I'm a scientist !

NOAA buoy/station 44008 (track for tuna fishing )

July 16th, 1985

High water temp. of 18.7 c, low of 16.7, all within hours of each other

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/view_text_fil ... al/stdmet/

Thirty four years later.......

July 17th, 2019

Temp. at 13:40 UTC (Boston is 4 hours behind utc ) is 17.74 degrees celsius, it was 18 degrees C just 20 minutes ago.

Throw it into a computer model, and I manipulate the actual :roll: water temp to be 20 degrees C. (because, I can. I am a $cientist )

But, what's it all mean? We go thru this excercise, or rather, I do, every year.

In almost fourty years, the water temp. fluctuates 2-6 degrees in any given 24 hour time period. What dies? Also, and more importantly, the water was warmer in 1985 than it is today. Unless you don't value the NOAA buoy history and data. :cry:

So, where, exactly, is the water temp increasing ?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"

Return to “POLITICS”