All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
runrussellrun

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by runrussellrun »

Did anyone else catch the news blip about John Kerry-Heinz opening up the bell at the stock exchange, announcing his involvement in a new carbon scam. The last part of the news blip ended with , ".......making them more expensive.....seeking alternatives"

The "expensive" was in reference to "fossil fuel" and carbon offsets, taxes etc.

Seeking alternatives, is oligarchy speek speek for MONOPOLY.

He who controls the grid, OWNS you.

What KIND of HIGH speed rail system is Joe Biden proposing? What kind :roll:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:34 am
holmes435 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:20 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:57 pm Really good article on Vox about how to keep US temp rise to 1.5C by nothing than a rapid conversion to electricity from renewable sources, plus everything electric:

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environm ... -electrify

So all cars as they wear out get replaced by electric cars. Furnaces -> heat pumps (ground source up north). Etc.

Would be Manhattan project scale, but would not require really much change in lifestyle, so take a look...
While I'm on board with that, it's interesting just how much responsibility has been shifted to the consumer. Everyone angry over straws? That's a literal drop in the ocean vs. industry, especially fishing as fishing gear is estimated to make up half the trash in the ocean. But what eats up the news cycles? Electric cars? 15 of the largest cargo ships emit the same amount of greenhouse gases as all cars in the world combined. But what eats up the news cycles and what kind of hype machine is driving Te$la stock?

I always give C&S a hard time when he talks about the money aspect. The "trillions" he talks about isn't anywhere near what's being spent on reducing our effect on the environment, but even if it was? You've got tens to hundreds of trillions in revenue every year invested in the status quo globally, with companies deflecting blame while only being interested in small, incremental change they control.

It's been a very, very uphill battle, and will be until it may be too late.
Thank you...thank you. Big bear hug. Thank you.

Now, if only could get the liberal pretend climate change people to attack Mitch McConnels father in law, who owns quite a few of those slow China boats.
Actually the statement that those 15 ships emit more GHGs is FALSE. They emit more sulfur dioxide pollution than the cars, but not CO2. The energy content (and thus the amount of carbon) just does not match up by orders of magnitude.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:40 am
RedFromMI wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:57 pm Really good article on Vox about how to keep US temp rise to 1.5C by nothing than a rapid conversion to electricity from renewable sources, plus everything electric:

So all cars as they wear out get replaced by electric cars. Furnaces -> heat pumps (ground source up north). Etc.

Would be Manhattan project scale, but would not require really much change in lifestyle, so take a look...
While I'm on board with that, it's interesting just how much responsibility has been shifted to the consumer. Everyone angry over straws? That's a literal drop in the ocean vs. industry, especially fishing as fishing gear is estimated to make up half the trash in the ocean. But what eats up the news cycles? Electric cars? 15 of the largest cargo ships emit the same amount of greenhouse gases as all cars in the world combined. But what eats up the news cycles and what kind of hype machine is driving Te$la stock?

I always give C&S a hard time when he talks about the money aspect. The "trillions" he talks about isn't anywhere near what's being spent on reducing our effect on the environment, but even if it was? You've got tens to hundreds of trillions in revenue every year invested in the status quo globally, with companies deflecting blame while only being interested in small, incremental change they control.

Now, if only could get the liberal pretend climate change people to attack Mitch McConnels father in law, who owns quite a few of those slow China boats.
Actually the statement that those 15 ships emit more GHGs is FALSE. They emit more sulfur dioxide pollution than the cars, but not CO2. The energy content (and thus the amount of carbon) just does not match up by orders of magnitude.
You logged in to present this as , what, an argument (in the good debate way ) of what, exactly? That sulfur dioxide IS not harmful to the worlds health? OR, because, technically, "green house" gas is NEVAH synonymous with "pollution". Either way, what is your point? Trying to prove that bandit chaser IS wrong?

Where does acid rain come from ?

Geezbuzz.....what the heck is wrong with you RED? It's nasty stuff, way more harmful than what your are breathing out 15 times, every minute. Way more harmful. But, you can't "tax" sulphur dioxide, only co2 , since we all have it. insanity

What's next, putting a carbon tax on a second children, and prorated/increased taxes with even more kids?
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:40 am Actually the statement that those 15 ships emit more GHGs is FALSE. They emit more sulfur dioxide pollution than the cars, but not CO2. The energy content (and thus the amount of carbon) just does not match up by orders of magnitude.
Mea culpa re: greenhouse gasses vs. other pollution, I glossed over that while looking it up.

It's still a pretty mind boggling stat.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

holmes435 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:15 am
RedFromMI wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:40 am Actually the statement that those 15 ships emit more GHGs is FALSE. They emit more sulfur dioxide pollution than the cars, but not CO2. The energy content (and thus the amount of carbon) just does not match up by orders of magnitude.
Mea culpa re: greenhouse gasses vs. other pollution, I glossed over that while looking it up.

It's still a pretty mind boggling stat.
There are new regulations that make it illegal to burn the really heavy crude these ship use near ports, and it is problematic, as the heavier crude these ships are built for (with all that sulfur) rely on the thickness of the oil as lubrication, and the low sulfur fuels don't always lubricate as well, being too thin,

But you fix these 15 ships to run without that pollution, you do a lot of SOx cleanup of the atmosphere...
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:54 am
RedFromMI wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:40 am

You logged in to present this as , what, an argument (in the good debate way ) of what, exactly? That sulfur dioxide IS not harmful to the worlds health? OR, because, technically, "green house" gas is NEVAH synonymous with "pollution". Either way, what is your point? Trying to prove that bandit chaser IS wrong?

Where does acid rain come from ?

Geezbuzz.....what the heck is wrong with you RED? It's nasty stuff, way more harmful than what your are breathing out 15 times, every minute. Way more harmful. But, you can't "tax" sulphur dioxide, only co2 , since we all have it. insanity

What's next, putting a carbon tax on a second children, and prorated/increased taxes with even more kids?
... in the best tradition of the shallow end of the gene pool, moving the goal posts as usual. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

net moving? I hug someone for having the same information, and similar distaste, for diesel powered boats delivering stuff we don't need. And, shout out to myself that this has been an environmental concern, as I have pointed out.

Hey smart guy. two rooms. exact same volume/size.

One filled with SO2, sulphur dioxide, the other with CO2. You get the former room, I get the latter. Equal PPM. You, the smart guy, gets to decide the PPM amount. will you be miserable, and die, well before hypoxia will kill me.....no?

can't wait for the response.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:22 pm net moving? I hug someone for having the same information, and similar distaste, for diesel powered boats delivering stuff we don't need. And, shout out to myself that this has been an environmental concern, as I have pointed out.

One filled with SO2, sulphur dioxide, the other with CO2. You get the former room, I get the latter. Equal PPM. You, the smart guy, gets to decide the PPM amount. will you be miserable, and die, well before hypoxia will kill me.....no?

You are doing a version of the Gish gallop. Throw out things as rapid fire as you can so people get confused.

You are also being stupid. The SOx emissions of all vehicles is dramatically lower today than it was say in the 1970s. But it will kill you at a far lower number of ppm in a room than CO2 ever will (primarily because CO2 is not really toxic and the other is).

But the total amount of SOx emitted by those ships is not an imminent lethal health threat even if it exceeds the really low amount of stuff emitted these days by automobiles (thanks to fuel advances, catalytic converters, etc).

The CO2 is a climate change threat that is not a direct toxin, but will alter the temperatures, rain patterns, etc for an extended time, which will be a much greater threat than the SOx from those 15 ships. But you fail to recognize that or at least want someone to think they are not the same.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:48 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:22 pm net moving? I hug someone for having the same information, and similar distaste, for diesel powered boats delivering stuff we don't need. And, shout out to myself that this has been an environmental concern, as I have pointed out.

You are doing a version of the Gish gallop. Throw out things as rapid fire as you can so people get confused.

You are also being stupid. The SOx emissions of all vehicles is dramatically lower today than it was say in the 1970s. But it will kill you at a far lower number of ppm in a room than CO2 ever will (primarily because CO2 is not really toxic and the other is).

But the total amount of SOx emitted by those ships is not an imminent lethal health threat even if it exceeds the really low amount of stuff emitted these days by automobiles (thanks to fuel advances, catalytic converters, etc).

The CO2 is a climate change threat that is not a direct toxin, but will alter the temperatures, rain patterns, etc for an extended time, which will be a much greater threat than the SOx from those 15 ships. But you fail to recognize that or at least want someone to think they are not the same.
OK....so acid rain comes from all the crying, due to baby boomers deaths? got it. amazing that I was just called stoopid, slightly
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Acid rain comes primarily from coal-burning power plants. But you actually should know that.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

:lol:
RedFromMI wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:58 pm Acid rain comes primarily from coal-burning power plants. But you actually should know that.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

swapping the drive train out with nuke power in these big boats delivering your sneakers and "hey google" devices....won't do a darn thing for the worlds health and environment .

It sure sounds like you have zero problem with pollution.....carry on pretend
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Potential great news on the energy production front:
Compact Nuclear Fusion Reactor Is ‘Very Likely to Work,’ Studies Suggest

A series of research papers renews hope that the long-elusive goal of mimicking the way the sun produces energy might be achievable.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/clim ... Fb2hlTlfls
Scientists developing a compact version of a nuclear fusion reactor have shown in a series of research papers that it should work, renewing hopes that the long-elusive goal of mimicking the way the sun produces energy might be achieved and eventually contribute to the fight against climate change.

Construction of a reactor, called Sparc, which is being developed by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a spinoff company, Commonwealth Fusion Systems, is expected to begin next spring and take three or four years, the researchers and company officials said.

Although many significant challenges remain, the company said construction would be followed by testing and, if successful, building of a power plant that could use fusion energy to generate electricity, beginning in the next decade.

This ambitious timetable is far faster than that of the world’s largest fusion-power project, a multinational effort in Southern France called ITER, for International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor. That reactor has been under construction since 2013 and, although it is not designed to generate electricity, is expected to produce a fusion reaction by 2035.
Sparc would be far smaller than ITER — about the size of a tennis court, compared with a soccer field, Dr. Mumgaard said — and far less expensive than the international effort, which is officially estimated to cost about $22 billion but may end up being far costlier. Commonwealth Fusion, which was founded in 2018 and has about 100 employees, has raised $200 million so far, the company said.
The Sparc fusion energy machine would be relatively small, as shown by this rendering of the reaction chamber.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Mars will be closest to Earth tomorrow than anytime in the next 15 years. Good time to take the telescope in the backyard if you have elementary, middle school kids, or 70 year old farts in your family.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CU88

Post by CU88 »

Sir David Attenborough on 60 Minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li5Xi9mIvDg
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CU88 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:14 pm Sir David Attenborough on 60 Minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li5Xi9mIvDg
... thanks.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

No federal aid for CA.
Fires not severe enough to outpace local resources.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tr ... d-n1243723
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Saw this and thought about the paradox of what is seen as good, but at whos expense.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:51 pm Saw this and thought about the paradox of what is seen as good, but at whos expense.

No image came through in my view

But the point that children in Africa may be mining critical minerals needed for batteries is not an argument for not making batteries - it is one that argues both for protecting those children, and also making batteries that don't rely on those critical materials.

So a problem to be solved along the way - and one that is solvable...
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

With hurricane Epsilon, I believe we're at the second most active storm season in recorded history, one away from tying 2005 with a month and 11 days left in the season. Some records we've set so far this year:
  • Record-breaking 6th straight season with at least one pre-season storm. (Arthur and Bertha).
  • Holds the record for the earliest formation date for most named storms.
  • Record-tying 2 named storms in May.
  • Record-tying 5 named storms in July. Record-breaking 6 tropical depressions in July.
  • Record-breaking 10 named storms in September.
  • First season on record to have 9 tropical storms form before August.
  • First season on record to have 13 tropical storms form before September.
  • First season on record to have 18 or more tropical storms form before October.
  • One of only two seasons to use the Greek Alphabet, with the other being 2005.
  • Easternmost forming Atlantic tropical/subtropical cyclone on record. (Alpha)

Return to “POLITICS”