The Biden - Harris Era.

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: The Biden - Harris Era.

Post by cradleandshoot »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:39 am Getting the electricity may at this time still involve a large amount of burning of fossil fuels, but that is changing, and can change quite rapidly. Start investing in more solar/wind/nuclear and you can get the CO_2 problem in a lot better place.

And the amount of oil for lubrication is TINY compared to what is necessary to burn for power.

And those lost jobs to the shrinking of oil production/fossil fuel generation can certainly be replaced by jobs dealing with the change to better sources of energy.
You still will always need oil, and you still will always need a lot of it. I am all on board for increasing nuclear power, probably the most green source of energy available. Why are the powers that be in the environmental movement so dead set against it? Does the term nuclear power send them into a tizzy? Solar/wind are great resources for providing power. There will always be downfalls with both. Solar power requires enough sunshine and wind power requires an abundance of wind. When there is no wind what powers these wind turbines... gasoline engines.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:39 am Getting the electricity may at this time still involve a large amount of burning of fossil fuels, but that is changing, and can change quite rapidly. Start investing in more solar/wind/nuclear and you can get the CO_2 problem in a lot better place.

And the amount of oil for lubrication is TINY compared to what is necessary to burn for power.

And those lost jobs to the shrinking of oil production/fossil fuel generation can certainly be replaced by jobs dealing with the change to better sources of energy.
No doubt....but let's be honest, we depend on, and demand zero down time. Our electrical/grid infrastructure hangs in the balance. Just use Ohms Law....the infrastructure has to have the ability to carry that demand burden (current flow) and voltage rating.

The "new" green era push, is called "Decarbonization and Electrification". The goal is to get all end users fully electric, no fossil fuel boilers, absorbers....this concerns me, just like not diversifying your investments is concerning. Yea, I get it....do our best to do our part, but there are also unintended consequence.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:48 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:55 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:03 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:55 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:41 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:32 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:10 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:57 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:51 am
dislaxxic wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:18 am Edumacate yersef, C&S...

Keystone Pipeline leaks 383,000 gallons of oil in second big spill in two years

Did you read the freaking link? The Keystone XL pipeline that POTUS Biden chitcanned has not been built yet. If you can explain to me how a pipeline that has not been built can leak oil there jaundice boy I'm all ears. Maybe you need to take your own advice and edumacate yourself. Did you soak up too much sun when you were playing golf? ;) The Keystone pipeline is another damn pipeline. Wear a boonie cap the next time you expose yourself to excessive sunlight.
Yup, the part not built hasn't leaked, OBVIOUSLY, but the pipeline they are being to asked to extend has quite a lot of spills. The extension would be reasonably expected to perform as the rest...with spills.

So, the question has to be based on cost/benefit with spills factored into 'costs'.
So you don't think our Union welders are good enough to weld together 2 pieces of pipe? Everything our country does MD involves risk. My old man had a saying he used often... Chit or get off the pot. I don't give a flying fig what ultimately happens with the Keystone XL pipeline. Build it, don't build it but for the love of Pete don't keep changing your mind about it every 4 years. Anywhoo the chicoms will be glad to have the oil. If it leaks all over the place loading their tankers at the terminal not our problem is it! :roll:
Agreed, it's a cost/benefit analysis. Would it lower our US consumer's energy costs? I don't think so, our prices are impacted by world market. Would it leak on the US lands that would need to be appropriated for its construction? Yup.

So, not much, if any, benefit unless one thinks we need this supply for strategic purposes long term...which I don't. But someone could make the opposite argument.

It gets bounced back and forth because there are people who lobby for the pipeline who stand to make a lot of money personally and they grease palms quite well and the other side lobbies because of environmental and ideological (climate) reasons. Same greasing other way. No surprises there.
My gripe is either put the damn thing to bed forever or build it. It is asinine to keep bringing it back from the dead every 4 years. I disagree with you 100% on your reasoning, we can build freaking pipelines with minimal risk. Whether we really need the oil, that is way out of my wheelhouse. My guess is it is better to have the oil in our country than to have to import it down the road. You do know that importing it also comes with the risk of oil tankers leaking the crude oil as well? Every choice our leaders make involves a risk.
At the risk of being accused as too 'woke', I think the reasoning is that in the long term the oil will be way less strategically important and that we have more than ample supplies in the ground here.

And, as the supply from those Canadian supplies will be otherwise on the market, not piping to the US won't negatively impact world supply or prices.

So, what's the big benefit? other than for the specific companies involved? A few construction jobs? Would better bridges be a better use of those welders? Anyway, that's the logic.

And yeah, there would be spills, no pipeline is perfect...and those where those spills would happen do actually care about that, are directly impacted...so...
I suspect it is an end-around, optics. My guess, it will return after the dust settles and that is where Biden returns the favor to Unions.
Doubt it greatly.

On the Union thing, look at the job Mayor Pete was put in. That was on purpose. Expect that job to be enormously important in this next Admin, with infrastructure being a huge priority. Jobs to bring us out of the pandemic depression, long term investment in modern transportation and communication systems, clean energy driving transportation...it's going to be a very big deal, many years of investing, and Unions will play a big role undoubtedly, although certainly not exclusively.

Keystone is a drop in the bucket comparatively in jobs.
Original estimate of the Keystone XL pipeline was 7 billion dollars. You call that a drop in the bucket? It must be a really big bucket your talking about. Where I come from 7 billion is still a lot of bling bling. ;) Jobs are jobs no matter what you label them under infrastructure. I'm sure all those Union welders and pipefitters would take much umbrage of you calling their jobs just a drop in the bucket. The construction of the pipeline would keep them employed for more than a few years. I guarantee you they would not look at feeding their families and keeping our country energy independent as a meaningless drop in the bucket. IMO the real bur in your saddle is the pipeline is all about oil. You know that stuff all of your delivery trucks need to keep making your business money. :D
Yes, drop in the bucket compared to what's coming. Peanuts in comparison.

I have zero burr in my saddle on this, but yes, it's about whether that oil is actually needed strategically or not. The opponents say 'no',

And our trucks (not in the business for 20 years) delivered pet food and supplies...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:56 am

No doubt....but let's be honest, we depend on, and demand zero down time. Our electrical/grid infrastructure hangs in the balance. Just use Ohms Law....the infrastructure has to have the ability to carry that demand burden (current flow) and voltage rating.

The "new" green era push, is called "Decarbonization and Electrification". The goal is to get all end users fully electric, no fossil fuel boilers, absorbers....this concerns me, just like not diversifying your investments is concerning. Yea, I get it....do our best to do our part, but there are also unintended consequence.
Distributed generation, down to the individual buildings, with grid access reduces a lot of the concern about the grid...now, an EMP pulse could be an issue...but then it'd be an issue no matter what....
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:45 am Scoff at the idea all you want, fellas, but electric means of transportation is going to get bigger and bigger. The ebike business is absolutely booming, and when you ride around on one of those a little bit you realize how idiotic it is for all of us to be taking our SUVs to and from in our daily lives. How far is the grocery store you go to most of the time, your kid's school/practice field, your favorite watering hole...etc? It also makes you realize that, yeah, it makes sense that cars and trucks be electric too...next to no maintenance and far fewer moving parts. When you ride an ebike you can wear one of these t-shirts too.....Roll A Fatty, c'mon, just too cool. :mrgreen:
PIC
Not scoffing at all, I am all for innovation, and agree we should pursue such limits, I am also practical. As an avid cyclist, I wished I could hitch a cart to by bike and go the grocery store...only issue is have to ride a couple miles on a 2 lane 55mph state highway with no shoulder.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:06 am
DMac wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:45 am Scoff at the idea all you want, fellas, but electric means of transportation is going to get bigger and bigger. The ebike business is absolutely booming, and when you ride around on one of those a little bit you realize how idiotic it is for all of us to be taking our SUVs to and from in our daily lives. How far is the grocery store you go to most of the time, your kid's school/practice field, your favorite watering hole...etc? It also makes you realize that, yeah, it makes sense that cars and trucks be electric too...next to no maintenance and far fewer moving parts. When you ride an ebike you can wear one of these t-shirts too.....Roll A Fatty, c'mon, just too cool. :mrgreen:
PIC
Not scoffing at all, I am all for innovation, and agree we should pursue such limits, I am also practical. As an avid cyclist, I wished I could hitch a cart to by bike and go the grocery store...only issue is have to ride a couple miles on a 2 lane 55mph state highway with no shoulder.
Yup, we're currently set up for the automobile...do see more and more adaptation, though. Won't happen overnight.

Have only used an e-bike once and was super happy to have it...40 mile loop around Lake Mead outside of Vegas, blazing heat...were it not for the heat, but man...
CU88

Post by CU88 »

PIC
We need to keep finding ways to make more of our roadways bike safe. I have become more of a biker and it has made me a better driver when I see cyclists. In Bethesda, we are seeing more of those lanes with the green paint for cyclists, and as a driver I pay more attention. But I am with you, My once a month bike of 19 miles to the office are still stressful.

Keep biking!
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
DMac

Post by DMac »

PIC
Yup, that's a problem as we're not set up for them with lanes in this country as they are in Europe. Believe me when I tell you though you can still get to a whole lot of places by just taking a bit of a different route and avoiding highways and heavy traffic areas. I get it that you can't get everywhere on them but that doesn't mean you can't get around pretty cute on them either, and it sure as hell doesn't take you much longer to get to and from on one of those than in your car. I can actually get to many places quicker (not that I'm ever in any big rush anymore) on my bike than a person in a car can get there (I might cut across a parking lot while you're sitting at the light but I'm going to beat you there nonetheless...happens to me a lot). Not much of a question in my mind that electric is going to get bigger and bigger.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:50 am

You still will always need oil, and you still will always need a lot of it. I am all on board for increasing nuclear power, probably the most green source of energy available. Why are the powers that be in the environmental movement so dead set against it? Does the term nuclear power send them into a tizzy? Solar/wind are great resources for providing power. There will always be downfalls with both. Solar power requires enough sunshine and wind power requires an abundance of wind. When there is no wind what powers these wind turbines... gasoline engines.
Nope - batteries/other storage mechanisms, plus better transmission. Very small scale nuclear power generators - can be put quite locally. You might not be able to convert in a couple of years, but certainly quite rapidly.

Also distributed solar to individual homes/buildings with local storage would be a good idea.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

PIC
You also have to re-think how we live (more density makes such drives not necessary), and we also gain energy efficiency.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:00 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:56 am

Distributed generation, down to the individual buildings, with grid access reduces a lot of the concern about the grid...now, an EMP pulse could be an issue...but then it'd be an issue no matter what....
I originally had that in my post about 'satellite distribution' but pulled it out to avoid making the discussion even more complicated. Distributed Generation has its own set of problems....huge investment, who pays for it, requires and demands the owner meet criteria to (pre)qualify, and you are still at the beckon of the power company to shed load as demand increases....assuming you can at the time. Bottom line, all electric increases demand...the added benefit is that it is the most efficient, almost no less up a chimney.stack....you get out what you put in.

As you know, electricity/Power is a commodity, and has been bought and sold for years....it is indeed in the interest of an owner to go green and sell off what you do not need/produce.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:28 am

Nope - batteries/other storage mechanisms, plus better transmission. Very small scale nuclear power generators - can be put quite locally. You might not be able to convert in a couple of years, but certainly quite rapidly.

Also distributed solar to individual homes/buildings with local storage would be a good idea.
I don't disagree with you. I am an advocate of all sources of energy that keeps our nation energy Independent. Why is nuclear power kicked to the curb?. It should be a viable part of any equation that is a part of how this nation generates power to the nation.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:47 am

I don't disagree with you. I am an advocate of all sources of energy that keeps our nation energy Independent. Why is nuclear power kicked to the curb?. It should be a viable part of any equation that is a part of how this nation generates power to the nation.
NIMBY....no one wants the nuclear waste in their back yard.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

If they could figure out how to actually turn the waste into harmless...but until then, there's going to be a heavy bias away.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:49 am

If they could figure out how to actually turn the waste into harmless...but until then, there's going to be a heavy bias away.
So we as the most technologically advanced nation in the world is incapable of figuring it out. Read you Lima Charlie over...wind mills and solar panels are the only viable options... :roll:. You installed those solar panels on your delivery trucks yet? ;)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:00 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:49 am

So we as the most technologically advanced nation in the world is incapable of figuring it out. Read you Lima Charlie over...wind mills and solar panels are the only viable options... :roll:
Yup, it hasn't been figured out...we bury it...some future generation's problem...not my area of scientific inquiry, but certainly would appear to be a near impossible problem.

Also tidal...and wave motion...all sorts of other potential energy sources other than carbon burning...and heck, there may be others. But yeah wind and solar are gonna play a major role.
a fan

Post by a fan »

foreverlax wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:48 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:47 am Why is nuclear power kicked to the curb?. It should be a viable part of any equation that is a part of how this nation generates power to the nation.
NIMBY....no one wants the nuclear waste in their back yard.
Because of hypocritical lefties who don't know the first thing about environmental sustainability. And yes, NIMBY.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

RT @garywhitta: So many talented sci-fi writers and futurists out there and not one of them imagined a world in which there would be good and evil pillows.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
CU77

Post by CU77 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:36 am i have no idea what the Catlick church you have gone to faithfully for all these years believes in.
You've certainly demonstrated that over and over again.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU77 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:34 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:36 am i have no idea what the Catlick church you have gone to faithfully for all these years believes in.
You've certainly demonstrated that over and over again.
Your damn right, you got me there. The Catlick church I was raised in would never have had a devout Catlick ever telling a person to f**k off. You sir are the new and improved vision of what the Catlick church is today. I suppose Catlicks of your ilk are why traditional Catlicks are abandoning your church in droves. Peace be with you and go f**k off. Take good care of your church and kindly turn off the lights and lock the door behind you when the last good Catlick has left the building...peace be with you... :roll:

Return to “POLITICS”