Vice President Kamala Harris

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Vice President Kamala Harris

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Andersen wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:13 am I love Joe Ehrmann and his message, certainly has had a very positive impact on my coaching and beyond.
+1

Terrific guy, needed message.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Timely and insightful podcast by Heather Heying & Bret Weinstein, both Evolutionary Biologists, PhD scientists, not just a couple of privileged white folk spouting off.

They discuss, amongst other topics, trans, specifically Biden's EO and trans HHS pick. Also, being that they and their family reside in Portland, they discuss the latest Antifa tactics and how it's affecting their hometown.

BTW: If you don't already know them, these people are progressive GenXers, not archaic and angry Boomers trying to make sense and yelling about stuff they don't understand. Approx 1 hr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNuTzMYXnt0
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:09 am Timely and insightful podcast by Heather Heying & Bret Weinstein, both Evolutionary Biologists, PhD scientists, not just a couple of privileged white folk spouting off.

They discuss, amongst other topics, trans, specifically Biden's EO and trans HHS pick. Also, being that they and their family reside in Portland, they discuss the latest Antifa tactics and how it's affecting their hometown.

BTW: If you don't already know them, these people are progressive GenXers, not archaic and angry Boomers trying to make sense and yelling about stuff they don't understand. Approx 1 hr.

My cousin lives in Portland. Portland has long been riot capitol of the USA.... good lacrosse players out there also.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

tech37 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:09 am Timely and insightful podcast by Heather Heying & Bret Weinstein, both Evolutionary Biologists, PhD scientists, not just a couple of privileged white folk spouting off.

This archaic boomer gives this an outstanding, two thumbs up, must watch.
Two bright and reasonable people hitting the nail on the head. Thanks for
posting.
njbill

Post by njbill »

This archaic boomer is going get out his quill pen to write a ripsnorting response. Once I remember where I put it.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:21 pm This archaic boomer is going get out his quill pen to write a ripsnorting response. Once I remember where I put it.
Would that not be in your Ben Franklin roll top desk, right next to the ink well? :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

njbill wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:21 pm This archaic boomer is going get out his quill pen to write a ripsnorting response. Once I remember where I put it.
Well bill, the "archaic boomer..." comment was meant to be self-deprecating... but if the shoe fits :D
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:53 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:51 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:12 pm As usual, I think you mean well a fan but often miss the point/context in your need to either label or undermine
? Uhhh...I was giving my opinion on the subject, same as you. And I didn't use any labels....so....
tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:12 pm No one is condoning anyone being a d*ck, obviously. CU77 was right, it's personal and a matter of politeness. To enact laws mandating what pronouns must be used to address .5% of the population?
What's the big deal? Can I call you (insert offensive ethnic slur) at our place of work? No. I can't. I'd be fired on the spot.

How is this different? If someone wants to be addressed as "Him", and feels it is offensive if I don't do that...why in heaven's name would I do anything other than address the coworker as "Him", and move on with my day? It takes ZERO effort on my part....
As mentioned, Peterson speaks eloquently re trans/gender/identity politics. Here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54
... a self help guru. Eloquent BS. :lol: ... reminds me of Erhard Standard Training back in the 70's. EST was all the rage.

Semi-Tough B.E.A.T. training. :lol:

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
tech37

Post by tech37 »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:11 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:53 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:51 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:12 pm As usual, I think you mean well a fan but often miss the point/context in your need to either label or undermine
? Uhhh...I was giving my opinion on the subject, same as you. And I didn't use any labels....so....
tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:12 pm No one is condoning anyone being a d*ck, obviously. CU77 was right, it's personal and a matter of politeness. To enact laws mandating what pronouns must be used to address .5% of the population?
What's the big deal? Can I call you (insert offensive ethnic slur) at our place of work? No. I can't. I'd be fired on the spot.

How is this different? If someone wants to be addressed as "Him", and feels it is offensive if I don't do that...why in heaven's name would I do anything other than address the coworker as "Him", and move on with my day? It takes ZERO effort on my part....
As mentioned, Peterson speaks eloquently re trans/gender/identity politics. Here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54
... a self help guru. Eloquent BS. :lol: ... reminds me of Erhard Standard Training back in the 70's. EST was all the rage.
:lol: Poor, hateful jhu72... you could use a lot of "self-help"... Dr. Phil more your speed... Peterson way too important/relevant/intelligent for your shallow issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskt ... 5RCmu-HuTg
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:20 am

This archaic boomer gives this an outstanding, two thumbs up, must watch.
Two bright and reasonable people hitting the nail on the head. Thanks for
posting.
Well not boomers, but 50+ year old married couple.

Always enjoyable to listen to two erudite people calmly discuss issues, however I had to chuckle when Brett at the outset, without irony, basks in the endorsement of the podcast by Greg Gutfeld. Ok, got it...

I was listening with high interest to hear their views about trans etc, which started out reasonably enough with looking at what I would call unintended (they would say intended apparently) consequences of causing risk/fear for women in certain situations when Heather said something I had to play back a couple of times to see if I'd heard correctly...she's saying that most trans folks are "masquerading"...I thought she was going to say that just a very few might be, and thus a risk if put into a prison or shelter with women, but no, she seems to think that the majority of trans are not genuinely so...wow.

Lost me on that one.

Heather reminds me of the "progressive" women of the '70's who were so adamantly opposed to women being subject to the draft, and with or without draft, radically opposed to the concept of women ever being in battle.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Andersen wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:13 am I love Joe Ehrmann and his message, certainly has had a very positive impact on my coaching and beyond.
+1

I learned so much from his perspective....he gave me a clear vision of what my goal should be when coaching - "helping build men for others".

That mantra, making it about mentoring vs winning, pretty much changed my entire approach to coaching lacrosse.
hooligan88

Re: Vice President Elect Kamala Harris

Post by hooligan88 »

CU77 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:08 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:57 pm Maybe one day we'll get to that point.
So far we have had one VP who is either female, OR black, OR Asian, and ~45 white males. So the point of colorblindness is a little ways off yet. I want to get there too, but progress is slow.
So clueless. What about our Native American VP. Curtis. And understand Mrs, Harris is not African her family is Jamacian of East Indian decent.
RedFromMI

Re: Vice President Elect Kamala Harris

Post by RedFromMI »

hooligan88 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:50 am
CU77 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:08 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:57 pm Maybe one day we'll get to that point.
So far we have had one VP who is either female, OR black, OR Asian, and ~45 white males. So the point of colorblindness is a little ways off yet. I want to get there too, but progress is slow.
So clueless. What about our Native American VP. Curtis. And understand Mrs, Harris is not African her family is Jamacian of East Indian decent.
Wrong on Harris.

https://apnews.com/article/afs:Content:9444472848
Kamala Harris’ family did not come from India to Jamaica to exploit Black slaves
CLAIM: “My family came to Jamaica from India to exploit the black African slaves we bought like cattle. Now I pretend to be African American to exploit them for votes,” says a caption with a 2017 photo of Democratic vice presidential candidate Kamala Harris.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. Harris did not make that statement, and there is no evidence anyone in her family went from India to Jamaica to exploit Black slaves.

THE FACTS: Posts online are falsely suggesting that Kamala Harris’ ancestors traveled from India to Jamaica to benefit from the slave trade. The social media posts appear to be an effort to question the candidate’s family heritage ahead of the election.
ADVERTISEMENT

Kamala Harris’ father, Donald Harris, is Jamaican, and both she and her father identify as Black. Her mother, Shyamala Gopalan, was born and raised in India. Harris’ parents met at the University of California, Berkeley, in the 1960s as graduate students.

In 2018, Donald Harris, a Stanford University emeritus professor of economics, detailed his family’s history in Jamaica in an essay in Jamaica Global Online.

There is no mention in his essay of having Indian ancestry, and he makes clear his family has been in Jamaica for generations. The elder Harris does write that his paternal grandmother descended from a slave owner. That part of his essay has been distorted repeatedly in recent months to fuel misleading claims on social media about the Harris family’s connections to slavery in Jamaica.

In one false meme, a photo of Kamala Harris is captioned with the words, “My family came to Jamaica from India to exploit the Black African slaves we bought like cattle. Now I pretend to be African American to exploit them for votes.”

There is no evidence of Harris ever saying this or that it is accurate.

The photo in the meme was taken by The Associated Press during a June 2017 Senate hearing when Harris was questioning former Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

The post, which has circulated on Facebook since 2019, received thousands of likes on Twitter, where it was being shared Monday. Social media users first began resharing the post after Harris was selected in August as Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden’s pick for vice president.
ADVERTISEMENT

In Donald Harris’ 2018 essay, he wrote, “My roots go back, within my lifetime, to my paternal grandmother Miss Chrishy (née Christiana Brown, descendant of Hamilton Brown who is on record as plantation and slave owner and founder of Brown’s Town).”

The AP was not able to independently confirm Donald Harris’ connection to Hamilton Brown, who was born in Ireland, nor have amateur genealogists or fact-checking organizations been able to prove such a link.

Caitlin Rosenthal, a University of California, Berkeley history professor, told the AP in an email that while it is clear that Hamilton Brown was a major slave owner, “what is much less clear is how he fits into Kamala Harris’s family tree.”

Rosenthal added, “What is most likely is that she is descended from both enslaved people and from slave owners, just like most African Americans today.”

Sasha Turner, a Jamaican professor of history at Johns Hopkins University, told the AP it is not surprising for Black Jamaicans to find out someone in their bloodline was a white slave holder, since “rape was part of the everyday experience of slavery.”

But social media posts in recent months have tried to use Donald Harris’ essay to undermine Kamala Harris’ Black identity and allege without evidence that she is a beneficiary of slavery.

“Just a reminder. Kamala’s own father said she’s not African-American. In fact, her family from Jamaica were rich Slave Owners!” reads one such post.

“This is really just a matter of twisting the facts,” Turner said. “It’s very disconcerting and quite disappointing that a history of such brutality, of such terror, is also being used in this way to terrorize.”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

So ugly.

Hooligan is correct that Curtis was 1/8th Kaw tribe. His mother was one quarter native.

Primarily raised by white grandparents. His great, great grandfather was a chief in the Kansa-Kaw tribe.

https://www.senate.gov/about/officers-s ... Curtis.htm
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:20 am I thought she was going to say that just a very few might be, and thus a risk if put into a prison or shelter with women, but no, she seems to think that the majority of trans are not genuinely so...wow.

Lost me on that one.
https://letter.wiki/conversation/893
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:50 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:20 am I thought she was going to say that just a very few might be, and thus a risk if put into a prison or shelter with women, but no, she seems to think that the majority of trans are not genuinely so...wow.

Lost me on that one.
Thanks, so Heather is defining trans as strictly biologically ("transsexual"), those with mixed up biological markers (we all have some degree of mix, interesting that she thinks there's a specific line-btw, not all such mixed have difficulty with their outward identity) as opposed to gender ("transgender")...but her conclusion is that non transexuals, simply "transgender", are merely "masquerading" still loses me. She equates this with "gender dysphoria" to be considered as a mental disease.

Well sure, it's indeed possible that some of the evolutionary biological dynamics discussed may lead some girls (the topic of the piece) to seek out ways to improve their social status, their popularity, with a change in gender status that may or may not persist into adulthood, but to suggest this is merely a "masquerade"???

And then to suggest that a majority of male to female transgenders are "masquerading" and thus present a risk to women when in proximity with them???
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:06 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:50 am

Lost me on that one.
Thanks, so Heather is defining trans as strictly biologically ("transsexual"), those with mixed up biological markers (we all have some degree of mix, interesting that she thinks there's a specific line-btw, not all such mixed have difficulty with their outward identity) as opposed to gender ("transgender")...but her conclusion is that non transexuals, simply "transgender", are merely "masquerading" still loses me. She equates this with "gender dysphoria" to be considered as a mental disease.

Well sure, it's indeed possible that some of the evolutionary biological dynamics discussed may lead some girls (the topic of the piece) to seek out ways to improve their social status, their popularity, with a change in gender status that may or may not persist into adulthood, but to suggest this is merely a "masquerade"???

And then to suggest that a majority of male to female transgenders are "masquerading" and thus present a risk to women when in proximity with them???
Friends of ours has a transgender son. He (formerly she) was born a few months after my son. Have known the couple for 26 years. Daughter came out about 4 or 5 years ago. They were stunned. He told them he had felt that way as long as he could remember. They are supportive and learned a lot. They have lost a lot of “friends” that for some reason stopped talking to them...long time “friends”....a-holes.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

I never said they exploited slaves but they are of East India decent. I understand countries have more than one ethnic group within them.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp

Biden meets with House Democrats in push for $1.9T plan

President Joe Biden met Friday with leading House Democrats who aim to put his $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package on a fast track to becoming law, drawing on new signs of strain in the economy to push for its approval.

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden met Friday with leading House Democrats who aim to put his $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package on a fast track to becoming law, drawing on new signs of strain in the economy to push for its approval.

“We can’t do too much here, we can do too little,” he told them. “Real, live people are hurting. And we can fix it. And we can fix it and the irony of all ironies is when we help them, we are also helping our competitive capacity, through the remainder of this decade.”

The Senate early Friday approved a measure that would let Democrats muscle the relief plan through the chamber without Republican support. Vice President Kamala Harris was in the chair to cast the tie-breaking vote, her first.

Senate Democrats applauded after Harris announced the 51-50 vote at around 5:30 a.m. The action came after a grueling all-night session, where senators voted on amendments that could define the contours of the eventual COVID-19 aid bill.

The budget now returns to the House, where it will likely be approved again Friday to reflect the changes made by the Senate. The measure can then work its way through committees so that additional relief can be finalized by mid-March, when extra unemployment assistance and other pandemic aid expires. It’s an aggressive timeline that will test the ability of the new administration and Congress to deliver .......

Good to see Democrats proceeding without approval from the pukies. It has taken them a long time to realize they do not need republican permission to get their constructive agenda completed. They know what their job is, now get it done.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes

Return to “POLITICS”