All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
63%
1 person.
15%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 68

wgdsr

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

on vaccine availability, what it looks like is:
- we may very well hit our most recently downgraded estimates by the end of jan (50 million). we might even exceed them.

- we were at 35 million out as of a day or 2 ago. that may not have included what had previously been held back at pfizer or moderna, maybe 2 -5 million, for 2nd shots.

- either way, 13+ million went out last week. we were at 11+ million iirc at the end of year, so maybe 10-11 million the week in between. that pace if it keeps up should put us over 50 million by end jan. it would be good to be beating estimates for a change. 100 million distributed by end feb was the next estimate from giroir.

- most importantly would be getting in arms and keeping pace. we shall see. then the cluster of 2nd shots.

2 other items:
- expect prelim readouts from jnj by end jan/early feb.
- pfizer stopping production in europe for several weeks in order to be able to produce more going forward. doesn't affect us, but if they have a need to do the same for u.s. production....
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://mobile.twitter.com/COVID19Track ... 3992818690

- hospitalizations now down fairly significantly at 124k from highs of 132-133k.
- test positivity at 10+% vs recent highs of 13+%
- cases down to 214k from the 240's but that data is likely noisy directionally and will be until maybe 5-7 days from now.
- deaths flat-ish but noisy for now like cases.

redfield/cdc stating that uk strain may be dominant by march. if that comes to be as does the more transmissable aspect of it, that doesn't help.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://apple.news/A1KwgnBJyTSOeQ_an-Mhgjg

Hopefully the worst is behind us.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

Biden and Fauci, I think, are talking about 100 million shots -- not 100 million people fully vaccinated.

To get 75% of Americans (250 million) vaccinated is 500 million shots. That's 17 months at 1 million shots per day, 8 months at 2 million a day.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ggait wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:48 pm Biden and Fauci, I think, are talking about 100 million shots -- not 100 million people fully vaccinated.

To get 75% of Americans (250 million) vaccinated is 500 million shots. That's 17 months at 1 million shots per day, 8 months at 2 million a day.
It's clear as mud. :lol: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN29M0GY
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:01 pm
ggait wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:48 pm Biden and Fauci, I think, are talking about 100 million shots -- not 100 million people fully vaccinated.

It's clear as mud. :lol: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN29M0GY
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-tal ... weeks-away

another similar article from same interview where he mentions even further leanings on where jnj and azn will soon do. just reading tea leaves... does he have some idea how each is going? it sounds like he might, and if yay then the results have been promising.

it wasn't that long ago that azn was questioned about even getting an eua if their efficacy fell short.

i did think their timeline could be several weeks to a month behind jnj, but that was using some extrapolation on several diff countries' volunteer groups and some assumptions.

if we could flood the market in march+, i think that'd take a lot of hassle and logistics problems away. still haven't seen any timeline on when under 16, 18 would be approved.
kramerica.inc

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:00 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:51 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:22 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:24 am
a fan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:11 pm
CU88 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:59 am
Where has the Federal government been these last two months? How is it possible that they did not have a plan for getting these vaccines distributed to Americans?
They chose States rights instead of Federalizing the response soup to nuts. We knew this months ago. This is what Republicans want and we have a Republican in the White House, so here we are. Is this a bad thing? Yes, if you want things to happen quickly. No, if you believe that every State should be treated differently.

Coordinating it all through each State slows everything down. Speaking as someone who has to deal with different rules/taxes, different systems (software, etc.) in all the States we sell our spirit in? I'd KILL to have one single Federal set of rules and standards. It's why the EU was formed. The downside is, each State/Country gives up some sovereignty in the name of efficiency. Pick your poison, I guess.

We CHOSE to do this. And unless they get their act together, and fast? The Feds are going to add six months to this pandemic because they didn't act unilaterally.

Is it worth it? Is State's rights worth it? I sure don't think it's worth it when we're in a pandemic..... we're at war. Full stop.
Things should be improving mightily this week.
You do realize that you're the only poster saying so, unless you solely mean that a new crew will begin to get a handle on the turnaround of the FUBAR distribution.

But the pandemic is certainly going to get 'worse' before it gets better... "better" defined as reducing incidence, hospitalizations, deaths. That's a ways off.
Joe said 100mm doses in 100 days, Fauci agrees; let's hope so! The timing could not be more impeccable. Vaxx essentially ready early Dec, logistics sorted out by mid-late Jan...just in time for a new party to come in and save the world.
Have the logistics been sorted out? I missed that one...apparently there's just over 30 million doses 'distributed' but less than 12 million administered...but they also can't say where or when distribution is coming next to those who've actually administered...

I think the 100 million in 100 days is likely to prove an overly ambitious goal (I suspect the logistics issues are more of a mess than we even know), but I agree with a comment someone, maybe wgdsr, made about it being good to have a goal.
Fauci thinks its quite possible. I'm all for holding politicians to their promises, like many others here.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:51 pm
Where has the Federal government been these last two months? How is it possible that they did not have a plan for getting these vaccines distributed to Americans?
They chose States rights instead of Federalizing the response soup to nuts. We knew this months ago. This is what Republicans want and we have a Republican in the White House, so here we are. Is this a bad thing? Yes, if you want things to happen quickly. No, if you believe that every State should be treated differently.

Coordinating it all through each State slows everything down. Speaking as someone who has to deal with different rules/taxes, different systems (software, etc.) in all the States we sell our spirit in? I'd KILL to have one single Federal set of rules and standards. It's why the EU was formed. The downside is, each State/Country gives up some sovereignty in the name of efficiency. Pick your poison, I guess.

We CHOSE to do this. And unless they get their act together, and fast? The Feds are going to add six months to this pandemic because they didn't act unilaterally.

Is it worth it? Is State's rights worth it? I sure don't think it's worth it when we're in a pandemic..... we're at war. Full stop.
You do realize that you're the only poster saying so, unless you solely mean that a new crew will begin to get a handle on the turnaround of the FUBAR distribution.

But the pandemic is certainly going to get 'worse' before it gets better... "better" defined as reducing incidence, hospitalizations, deaths. That's a ways off.
Joe said 100mm doses in 100 days, Fauci agrees; let's hope so! The timing could not be more impeccable. Vaxx essentially ready early Dec, logistics sorted out by mid-late Jan...just in time for a new party to come in and save the world.
Have the logistics been sorted out? I missed that one...apparently there's just over 30 million doses 'distributed' but less than 12 million administered...but they also can't say where or when distribution is coming next to those who've actually administered...

I think the 100 million in 100 days is likely to prove an overly ambitious goal (I suspect the logistics issues are more of a mess than we even know), but I agree with a comment someone, maybe wgdsr, made about it being good to have a goal.
Fauci thinks its quite possible. I'm all for holding politicians to their promises, like many others here.
Promises...like he promises to tirelessly work until 100 doses have been delivered...hard to measure?

Or promising something he has no way to control and if the goal isn't reached, it's a lie?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Seems to be the standard around here, no?
At least with some.
But already, we have MD hedging his bets and moving the goalposts for Biden.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

This logistics issue has to be product and its temperature specs. If we can easily get upwards of a 100 million to vote in a single day, we can certainly get 100 million done a week or two.

Maybe we can do mailed vaccines, since voting that way is flawless? ;) :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ggait

Post by ggait »

I hope they hit their target.

The point though, it that their goal is a 100 million SHOTS in 100 days. Which (with current vaccines) is only 50 million people vaccinated in three months. A million shots a day means we'll get to herd immunity in 1.5 years. So we can finally stop wearing masks and have a big party on July 4th. Of 2022 that is.

So the real time race is from now until mid-October, when things would again start to trend worse -- seasonal uptick, colder weather, more indoors, holiday gatherings, etc.

Seems like we're going to need the J&J one-shot to come online in big quantities in order to avoid another bad fall/winter in 21-22.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Yeah, let's hope they had all the correct facts before setting that goal...dunno if it's a 'promise' but it's certainly a clear enough goal...and they all say it's at least 'possible'. I don't think Fauci said no sweat nor did Biden, but maybe you heard something different.

My skepticism is based on my Murphy's Law proclivity and my concern that the 'transition' may not have delivered 100% accurate info on current logistics reality to the incoming folks.

Hope I'm just being too pessimistic.

Where I'll get critical is not on falling short of an audacious goal (you call promise) but rather if they start to hold back info, spin hard, lie...I'm expecting much, much greater transparency from these guys...and I'll be full on critical if they succumb to temptation to hide truth.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:00 pm Seems to be the standard around here, no?
At least with some.
But already, we have MD hedging his bets and moving the goalposts for Biden.
nah, some on here actually thought the virus would 'go away' the day after the election or at least it would no longer get coverage in the press...then the accusation was that those who were looking forward to Biden's Admin were pollyanna's who thought everything would be hunky dory the day of the Inauguration...gaslighting, but hey, that's apparently the way some think...

On the other hand, I've been consistent at every stage that this was going to continue to get worse, it would be really, really bad by January, there was so much momentum behind the virus spread and nowhere's near the necessary public response, so Biden's team would be taking over around the (hopefully) peak time of this thing...with maybe another two three months of super high hospitalizations and deaths per day. The wild card being how fast the vaccine could slow down spread among the most vulnerable.

Looks like those predictions are playing out (no rocket science there)...we should ALL be pulling for the Biden team to do what they can and we should sure as heck hope the vaccines prove effective against any variants. Put away the Red Team Blue Team baloney and let's do our little parts where we can.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:55 pm

The point though, it that their goal is a 100 million SHOTS in 100 days. Which (with current vaccines) is only 50 million people vaccinated in three months. A million shots a day means we'll get to herd immunity in 1.5 years. So we can finally stop wearing masks and have a big party on July 4th. Of 2022 that is.

So the real time race is from now until mid-October, when things would again start to trend worse -- seasonal uptick, colder weather, more indoors, holiday gatherings, etc.

Seems like we're going to need the J&J one-shot to come online in big quantities in order to avoid another bad fall/winter in 21-22.
cheer up, ggait. we're already at 2 million shipped per day. at least last week and this week. if there are no production snafus, we should have 100-120 million shipped total by the end of february. then joe will have 62 days to get everyone their 2 shots.

we are not quite up to 1 million per day actually getting their shot, so hopefully with larger groupings and better management, some learning curve we get apace of vaccine delivery. it's my continued opinion until i see differently that by this spring (like april or may) the issue isn't going to be getting vaccine out, or the distribution to put in willing arms. it'll be uptake from our citizens. we'll be merely dripping new vaccine takers. if kids are greenlighted by then, maybe a month later.

jnj (and/or azn) efficacy and safety needs to be "good" enough to handle the scrutiny of the wary public. that happens, it'll be vaxx-a-palooza for the folks that'll take one.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:10 pm

cheer up, ggait. we're already at 2 million shipped per day. at least last week and this week. if there are no production snafus, we should have 100-120 million shipped total by the end of february. then joe will have 62 days to get everyone their 2 shots.

we are not quite up to 1 million per day actually getting their shot, so hopefully with larger groupings and better management, some learning curve we get apace of vaccine delivery. it's my continued opinion until i see differently that by this spring (like april or may) the issue isn't going to be getting vaccine out, or the distribution to put in willing arms. it'll be uptake from our citizens. we'll be merely dripping new vaccine takers. if kids are greenlighted by then, maybe a month later.

jnj (and/or azn) efficacy and safety needs to be "good" enough to handle the scrutiny of the wary public. that happens, it'll be vaxx-a-palooza for the folks that'll take one.
Link for 14 million shots shipped this week?
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU88 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:44 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:10 pm

Link for 14 million shots shipped this week?
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-tal ... ay-vaccine

gottlieb's on the board for pfizer and pretty plugged in to how government and medical research works and stuff. and no indication impotus o d is his hero.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

So is the “demand” issue that the demand will outpace vaccine supply or demand will be far below the promised 100M mark?

With so many Drs and Medical Workers balking at taking the vaccine and wanting the more facts before being guinea pigs, the latter is certainly possible.
ggait

Post by ggait »

But Joe/Tony's goal (even if achieved) isn't going to be near good enough.

To avoid another bad winter, we need to be averaging 2+ million shots a day starting today. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm not betting on that happening.

The problem seems to be as much (maybe more) about administering the shots as having vaccine supply.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:48 pm
But Joe/Tony's goal (even if achieved) isn't going to be near good enough.

To avoid another bad winter, we need to be averaging 2+ million shots a day starting today. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm not betting on that happening.

The problem seems to be as much (maybe more) about administering the shots as having vaccine supply.
yes, for now that's the problem. we just started. and our cohorts were healthcare workers and nursing homes. not large ones. plus healthcare workers bailed.

when they're 65 and older and then younger than that, and you can do megasites instead of trying to match up hospitals, dr offices and nursing homes you'll have long lines. from what i can tell, the plan may continue to be drug stores as well (sounds difficult to execute), but the expansion of groups eligible and concentrated sites will help.

next problem will be willingness. but that's a few months down the line.

what i don't fully understand was governors up in arms on #vaccinereservegate when states had only given out 40-50% of the shots they'd been delivered. but i don't know all the ins and outs, and planning was probably a large part of that.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “POLITICS”