All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
63%
1 person.
15%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 68

Matnum PI

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:28 pm are there a lot of posters on here that are against masks?
On here, I dunno. In my real life, too many to count. I went to an outdoor party recently and had to leave. It was ridiculous and purposely so.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:59 pm
ggait wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:05 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:41 pm Sweden update 31 July. Zero deaths in past 3 days; 5 in the past week. No lockdowns, no masks, no panic.
And WAAAYYYYY more social distancing than we have had.

Sweden, Italy, Spain, France, UK all got hit hard early and had awful numbers. But, unlike us, they all learned and did what was needed. Which was serious social distancing, consistently applied. Plus testing and tracing. They all figured it out.

But for some reason, we are not capable of doing what ALL our peers have done.

Deaths yesterday:

Italy 3
France 16
Spain 2
Sweden 0
Germany 9
UK 38
Canada 12
Japan 3
Norway 0
Denmark 0
Ireland 1

USA 1465

FL 252
TX 322
CA 114
AZ 172

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... g-patterns
watch out for spain. more than quite the tick up on cases, getting banned from travel at a number of places. have they found the cure though on case fatality? tbd.
france coming up on the outside as they open up.
germany's peasants are getting restless, want out of the house.

will be interesting to see how it all plays out. has russia talked about selling their vaccine? they look to be leader in the clubhouse, for having something in a needle, at least.
… to me it looks like it is going up all over the world. We are basically playing wack-a-mole. In the US it looks like we play wack-a-mole and never get to an acceptable low level that is sustainable. Write this year off, and most likely next year as well. Even a vaccine at the end of the year is going to take a year or more to be distributed widely enough, and you know everyone is going to be pushing to loosen up as soon as the first individual is inoculated.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:41 pm Sweden update 31 July. Zero deaths in past 3 days; 5 in the past week. No lockdowns, no masks, no panic.

Sweden, Italy, Spain, France, UK all got hit hard early and had awful numbers. But, unlike us, they all learned and did what was needed. Which was serious social distancing, consistently applied. Plus testing and tracing. They all figured it out.

Deaths yesterday:

Italy 3
France 16
Spain 2
Sweden 0
Germany 9
UK 38
Canada 12
Japan 3
Norway 0
Denmark 0
Ireland 1

USA 1465

FL 252
TX 322
CA 114
AZ 172

watch out for spain. more than quite the tick up on cases, getting banned from travel at a number of places. have they found the cure though on case fatality? tbd.

will be interesting to see how it all plays out. has russia talked about selling their vaccine? they look to be leader in the clubhouse, for having something in a needle, at least.
… its a mixture of HCQ, clorox bleach, and potato vodka. :lol:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:29 pm

Deaths yesterday:

Italy 3
France 16
Spain 2
Sweden 0
Germany 9
UK 38
Canada 12
Japan 3
Norway 0
Denmark 0
Ireland 1

USA 1465

FL 252
TX 322
CA 114
AZ 172

depending on the makeup, i could be persuaded...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:08 pm
holmes435 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:02 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:36 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:16 pm Sure, a good mask is better than something flimsy, but any mask is better than no mask.
Help with the supply and cost of good masks, but don't discourage people from at least trying to do something rather than nothing.
you might be the guy i've been looking for.

i've asked 4 or 5 times if anyone had seen as i hadn't...
the vast majority of masks i've seen are single ply (and some loose bandana-types). like over 90% without close inspection. but say the vast majority.

where is any research that says something flimsy helps?
Yes, there is some research out there. Here's some research from 2013 that looked at various materials in 1 and 2 layers of protection and their effectiveness in blocking out bacterial and viral aerosols: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24229526/

Here's an infographic with some of the data:

There are some other studies out there if you search.
thanks. the infographic quotes are for a bio-aerosol that is 10x the size of the virus. and as a bio-aerosol, they are results for an in vitro test. they did have testing for another smaller one, and the results were quite a bit lower, though of course there is filtration in their lab run through. and i have seen that study and read thru it several times before.

the testing they did on humans with the study were on healthy individuals. who had very few microorganisms. potentially why one of the conclusions then came back with:
Pearson χ2 tests comparing the proportion of particles greater than 4.7 μm in diameter and particles less than 4.7 μm in diameter found that the homemade mask did not significantly reduce the number of particles emitted (P = .106). In contrast, the surgical mask did have a significant effect (P < .001).
i don't think they reference whether human subjects were using single or double and small sample size evidently, so not a lot to take out of it even on the above as "they don't work" other than surgical masks did really well in showing efficacy in that same setup.

i will look at your other links when i get a chance. as an example, i've seen the healthcare worker trial in vietnam (2nd link) and it's definitely not an advertisement for cloth masks. but they were healthcare workers and it was a longer term trial. i will try to see if there is one from those links that holds particularly strong data. grazie.
Yeah, from the things I've read essentially it boils down to the flimsy ones do indeed offer some protection vs. no protection, but it's much better to have a multi-layer cloth mask with tighter woven fabric, surgical mask, or n95. Surgical masks are pretty easy to come by nowadays, at least where I live.
old salt

Post by old salt »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:11 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:16 pm Sure, a good mask is better than something flimsy, but any mask is better than no mask.
Help with the supply and cost of good masks, but don't discourage people from at least trying to do something rather than nothing.

the vast majority of masks i've seen are single ply (and some loose bandana-types). like over 90% without close inspection. but say the vast majority.

Yes, there is some research out there. Here's some research from 2013 that looked at various materials in 1 and 2 layers of protection and their effectiveness in blocking out bacterial and viral aerosols: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24229526/

thanks. the infographic quotes are for a bio-aerosol that is 10x the size of the virus. and as a bio-aerosol, they are results for an in vitro test. they did have testing for another smaller one, and the results were quite a bit lower, though of course there is filtration in their lab run through. and i have seen that study and read thru it several times before.

the testing they did on humans with the study were on healthy individuals. who had very few microorganisms. potentially why one of the conclusions then came back with:
Pearson χ2 tests comparing the proportion of particles greater than 4.7 μm in diameter and particles less than 4.7 μm in diameter found that the homemade mask did not significantly reduce the number of particles emitted (P = .106). In contrast, the surgical mask did have a significant effect (P < .001).
i don't think they reference whether human subjects were using single or double and small sample size evidently, so not a lot to take out of it even on the above as "they don't work" other than surgical masks did really well in showing efficacy in that same setup.

i will look at your other links when i get a chance. as an example, i've seen the healthcare worker trial in vietnam (2nd link) and it's definitely not an advertisement for cloth masks. but they were healthcare workers and it was a longer term trial. i will try to see if there is one from those links that holds particularly strong data. grazie.
Yeah, from the things I've read essentially it boils down to the flimsy ones do indeed offer some protection vs. no protection, but it's much better to have a multi-layer cloth mask with tighter woven fabric, surgical mask, or n95. Surgical masks are pretty easy to come by nowadays, at least where I live.
How 'bout a KKK sheet with the mouth & nose holes taped over ?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Deaths yesterday:

Italy 3
France 16
Spain 2
Sweden 0
Germany 9
UK 38
Canada 12
Japan 3
Norway 0
Denmark 0
Ireland 1

USA 1465

FL 252
TX 322
CA 114
AZ 172

A certain poster on here must have been very unhappy with what Fauci had to say today about HCQ. But then what does Fauci know?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:15 pm
holmes435 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:11 pm

How 'bout a KKK sheet with the mouth & nose holes taped over ?
Is that you?

🤡
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Gov. Hogan made the Ocean City face mask requirement state wide. Must wear face coverings in the public spaces of all businesses across the state.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

njbill wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:26 pm

Deaths yesterday:

Italy 3
France 16
Spain 2
Sweden 0
Germany 9
UK 38
Canada 12
Japan 3
Norway 0
Denmark 0
Ireland 1

USA 1465

FL 252
TX 322
CA 114
AZ 172

A certain poster on here must have been very unhappy with what Fauci had to say today about HCQ. But then what does Fauci know?
… I did not hear, what did he say? Didn't watch the hearings. Had real work to do.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

njbill wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:26 pm

Deaths yesterday:

Italy 3
France 16
Spain 2
Sweden 0
Germany 9
UK 38
Canada 12
Japan 3
Norway 0
Denmark 0
Ireland 1

USA 1465

FL 252
TX 322
CA 114
AZ 172

haha.
faucis no hcq acolyte!!! never has been!
didn't hear if he said something recent, won't look. i'm assuming nothing's changed on his stance.

hcq goes nowhere significant here in the u.s. without a legitimate clinical trial. that's obvious and how maybe it should be. would be great to get one of early treatment and prophylaxis both, not holding my breath given we are now 4-6 months in.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17 pm Gov. Hogan made the Ocean City face mask requirement state wide. Must wear face coverings in the public spaces of all businesses across the state.
is that it?
house parties?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:28 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17 pm Gov. Hogan made the Ocean City face mask requirement state wide. Must wear face coverings in the public spaces of all businesses across the state.
is that it?
house parties?
nope.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:29 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:28 pm
is that it?
house parties?
nope.
from boardwalks to statewide.
that hogan is a pissah.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:14 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:28 pm are there a lot of posters on here that are against masks?
On here, I dunno. In my real life, too many to count. I went to an outdoor party recently and had to leave. It was ridiculous and purposely so.
During a pandemic you went to a party? You have some explaining to do young man and give me your car keys.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Fauci at the hearing today on HQC:

“He went on to say that none of the randomized, placebo-controlled trials have shown any efficacy of hydroxychloroquine for use in treating coronavirus patients.”

Also said the recent Henry Ford study was a “flawed trial.”

No, I didn’t pay him.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... lawed.html
njbill

Post by njbill »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:55 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:14 pm
During a pandemic you went to a party? You have some explaining to do young man and give me your car keys.
That may have been his alter ego, Mantum.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Looks like the Sun Sentinel editorial board didn't check with Peanut Butters first.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

njbill wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:33 pm Fauci at the hearing today on HQC:

“He went on to say that none of the randomized, placebo-controlled trials have shown any efficacy of hydroxychloroquine for use in treating coronavirus patients.”

Also said the recent Henry Ford study was a “flawed trial.”

No, I didn’t pay him.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... lawed.html
Well you didn't exactly have to be an epidemiologist to make the call on Henry Ford.

Return to “POLITICS”