All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
63%
1 person.
15%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 68

wgdsr

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

under the radar in the news cycle last week, posted the below on another thread. the new drug name is the same one as the emory article re-tagged as merck is now involved.

also today, regeneron and e lilly each announced good results on monoclonal antibody therapeutics they've been moving on.

from last week on merck:
emory/merck drug, an oral, that acts a la remdesivir, they think can potentially be a prophylaxis in addition to treatment moving to stage 2 as initial came back safe:

Merck aims to start 'large pivotal' studies on coronavirus treatment in September

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/31/merck-a ... idappshare

https://news.emory.edu/stories/2020/04/ ... index.html

the study in magazine mentioned in 2nd link very fraught with a lot of science...
https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/12/5 ... gures-data

as it's big pharma, i'd assume they should have some rails getting trials done if it looks effective. critically, if it can be effective as a prophylaxis or even as therapeutic, an oral for this action gives distribution a big leg up for the same action vs remdesivir. gilead has been working on earlier intervention studies for remdesivir as well as delivering it as an aerosol.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:31 pm
Seems like a boneheaded decision. I am hoping the Mayor doesn’t snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I like the guy positioning himself to run for Mayor for the next election. I like his chances. I don’t like this guy De Blasio. His decision making is questionable.
Don't you think his run for the Democratic Presidential nomination cooked his goose anyway? And that was before anyone really dug into his caving to the PBA.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:08 pm
Seems like a boneheaded decision. I am hoping the Mayor doesn’t snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I like the guy positioning himself to run for Mayor for the next election. I like his chances. I don’t like this guy De Blasio. His decision making is questionable.
Don't you think his run for the Democratic Presidential nomination cooked his goose anyway? And that was before anyone really dug into his caving to the PBA.
Yep. A friend of a friend is positioning himself to make a run.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Pre-EOB number crunching indicates what last week looked like a possible peak or roll over in Florida death data, this week was proven wrong as deaths surge to 1285 (at least) for the week - a 41% increase over the previous week.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

… this was a decision in favor of keeping things open longer. Big mistake by Bill.

I think Hogan in Maryland is leaning the same way - he is protecting the bars and restaurants at the risk of public health.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:12 pm
… this was a decision in favor of keeping things open longer. Big mistake by Bill.

I think Hogan in Maryland is leaning the same way - he is protecting the bars and restaurants at the risk of public health.

Florida is back!

https://experience.arcgis.com/experienc ... db9b25e429

All signs point to a nice bend in the graphs. let's get back to work, folks!
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

28,000 hospitalized.

500,000 positive cases.

7,500 dead.

Yeah, man; looking good, and school is starting. You ever worry about the Jinx?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:41 pm

Florida is back!

How dare you share optimistic news around these parts...that is uncalled for.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:51 pm

Florida is back!

My apologies!

Also, Iceland laughs at masks and shutting down and has no Covid.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020 ... type=owned

It's almost like you can beat this thing without hysteria! :lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Florida is back!

Except that it isn't really. The daily graphs get updated later to higher numbers, so at any given recent date they are understated, the most recent the most understated, giving the false impression of decline...

The reality is that Florida's average daily death count, rolling 7 days, keeps rising. 72 per day avg. three weeks ago, 100 per day two weeks ago, 125 a week ago, 175 now, with 245 deaths reported today not included in that rolling average yet.

Average cases per day though has flattened and may be on decline, which, if so, will ultimately be helpful...but not if that turns upward again because the restrictions get lifted and the happytalk returns...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:17 pm

Florida is back!

My apologies!

Also, Iceland laughs at masks and shutting down and has no Covid.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020 ... type=owned

It's almost like you can beat this thing without hysteria! :lol:
gee, test, trace, isolate works...who knew?
Ohh yeah, the South Koreans.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Florida is back!

Petey -- you may well be right this time. We all hope so.

But obviously, you were completely forking wrong about this in the past. As proved by the below.

Broken clock right twice a day. Blind pig finds truffle. Etc etc etc

Peter Brown wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 30, 2020

Cases have been rising for more than 2 weeks while deaths continue to decrease. Narrative fail.
Democrats upset people aren’t dying (I don’t have a graph for this).

Tue Jul 14, 2020

death rates and length of ICU stay are dropping
time for democrats to ratchet up the panic!

6ftstick wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 17, 2020

Florida health official admits man who died in motorcycle crash listed as coronavirus death

Wed Jul 22, 2020

It's the perma-hysteria, sky is falling, we will never be the same, there will never be a vaccine, all news is bad news until Biden is elected cacophony. That's what it is.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Cross-posting from the election thread as I thought it was the coronavirus thread.

Florida seeing record coronavirus deaths despite having massive head start on states like NY.

The good news is that hospitalizations may have peaked for this particular wave but they're still at a pretty high level. Schools are reopening starting next week though, so we'll see if there is another uptick in 3-4 weeks.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

holmes435 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:43 pm Cross-posting from the election thread as I thought it was the coronavirus thread.

Florida seeing record coronavirus deaths despite having massive head start on states like NY.

The good news is that hospitalizations may have peaked for this particular wave but they're still at a pretty high level. Schools are reopening starting next week though, so we'll see if there is another uptick in 3-4 weeks.
It looks like we'll see a flattening and hopefully dip in deaths per day following the flattening and decline in cases per day.

However, I'm going to go way out on a limb and predict that daily death rate is going to exceed 300 per day in Florida by early-mid October (currently 175 per day).

Despite the improvement in therapeutics, the infection rate is going to skyrocket if Florida forces schools to open in-person, including in hotbed areas. Of course, if some key local jurisdictions don't open in-person, my estimate may be high.

My guess is that we'll see the state force the reopening and infections rising won't get detected until mid or even late September, then the lag to deaths. At that point the die will have been cast and it'll be way out of control.

Hope I'm wrong.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DocBarrister

Another Tragic Milestone

Post by DocBarrister »

The United States just surpassed 160,000 Covid-19 deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

As Trump would say, “It is what it is.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/04/politics ... index.html

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:07 pm 6 states have joined together attempting to jump start the market for rapid antigen testing. In a normal world this is done by the federal government.
have you seen anywhere that details an analysis of what it would take to increase lab personnel/capacity? how/who needs to be trained, or a shortage of machines... what is delaying the read back on results?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

No. Why don't you call up Trump's CDC? They're the ones who are supposed to be leading on this.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

This GOP consultant traveled to a July family gathering amid pandemic. ‘Big mistake’
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... s-outbreak

Return to “POLITICS”