Religion in America

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: Religion in America

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:29 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:48 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:25 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:21 am Would Jesus have shut down churches and synagogues for the past 3 mos?
You mean the guy who tossed the tables?

Absolutely.

Did Jesus ever preach from a formal pulpit?
Require followers to gather in a particular building?
I was referring to the shuttering of churches and turning our backs on God/religion during a challenging time metaphorically.

But if we’re talking literal, would Jesus have been in favor of all these police killings and acts of violence and killing on both sides of these protests?
Not sure who you mean is "turning our backs on God/religion during a challenging time"...certainly not due to COVID-19.

Totally agree that Jesus would not have been in favor of killing anyone.
But he was certainly no institutionalist, though he did say to give unto Caesar what is Caesar's...but he was very much a non-violent revolutionary
School needs the Bible...again.
B=Basic
I=Instruction
B=Before
L=Leaving
E=Earth
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
njbill

Post by njbill »

Send one to Trump. Apparently he needs a copy as he had to borrow one from his daughter the other day.

Be sure to flag some of the key passages. Leave out “an eye for an eye,” however. He seems to know that one already.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:08 pm I was referring to the shuttering of churches and turning our backs on God/religion during a challenging time metaphorically.

But if we’re talking literal, would Jesus have been in favor of all these police killings and acts of violence and killing on both sides of these protests?
I think Jesus would be awfully confused by about 99% of the stuff that people claim to be doing in his name.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:00 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:08 pm I was referring to the shuttering of churches and turning our backs on God/religion during a challenging time metaphorically.

I think Jesus would be awfully confused by about 99% of the stuff that people claim to be doing in his name.
Look - Jesus famously said: "whenever two or more people gather in my name" which is usually interpreted to mean you don't have to have massive church gatherings to worship.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:09 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:08 pm I was referring to the shuttering of churches and turning our backs on God/religion during a challenging time metaphorically.

Look - Jesus famously said: "whenever two or more people gather in my name" which is usually interpreted to mean you don't have to have massive church gatherings to worship.
Not my quote....it was MD's.. I fixed it in this post. MDlaxfan76 wrote:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:00 pm I think Jesus would be awfully confused by about 99% of the stuff that people claim to be doing in his name.

As a Jewish liberal, he certainly wouldn't vote Republican.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

And he’d be driving a 1969 Triumph Spitfire MK3
https://images.app.goo.gl/C6qCfargja56p6Y97
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:16 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:08 pm I was referring to the shuttering of churches and turning our backs on God/religion during a challenging time metaphorically.

Not my quote....it was MD's.. I fixed it in this post. MDlaxfan76 wrote:
this is an artifact of quoting each other. My comments are actually missing from this back and forth.
I was responding to youth's question, the words ascribed to me above.

I don't think you need a building to be with God, Jesus certainly didn't think so.
He did not preach from any formal pulpits, either.
I didn't mention the two or more phrase, but that too certainly doesn't require any building and it really doesn't even require a physical presence IMO, just to "gather"...

Likewise, he was certainly a non-violent revolutionary.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:28 pm And he’d be driving a 1969 Triumph Spitfire MK3
https://images.app.goo.gl/C6qCfargja56p6Y97
He has good taste in cars.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
CU88

Post by CU88 »

I got $0.

Maybe you got $1,200.

Evangelical churches got $7.3 billion.

I pay taxes. You pay taxes.

Churches pay no taxes.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU88 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:25 am I got $0.

Maybe you got $1,200.

Churches pay no taxes.
I'm a landlord to a small evangelical church. I don't know whether they applied for PPP, but it could not have been much as they have a small staff and the loans were a multiple of a couple months of salary. They were able to transition to online services during the total close down in MD, and are doing hybrid services now.

They've paid their rent on time, for which we are glad as this income is my mom's primary income.

From a religious perspective, my sense is these folks really do good work.

But the big mega churches really bother me as they're big rip off machines to begin with.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:35 am

I'm a landlord to a small evangelical church. I don't know whether they applied for PPP, but it could not have been much as they have a small staff and the loans were a multiple of a couple months of salary. They were able to transition to online services during the total close down in MD, and are doing hybrid services now.

They've paid their rent on time, for which we are glad as this income is my mom's primary income.

But the big mega churches really bother me as they're big rip off machines to begin with.

PPP = all too often, it's just welfare for the rich
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

+1 you don't have to be a church person to have a relationship with God. I distain organized religion. I have my faith but I have no need to be lectured by those who claim to be more faithful than I am. If God will not judge me by who I am and the good things I have done, going to church every Sunday will change nothing in his eyes.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:35 am
CU88 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:25 am I got $0.

Maybe you got $1,200.

Churches pay no taxes.

My wifes cousins are big wigs in the born again movement. IMO they are the most obnoxious Christians on the planet. My wifes Aunt Stella was 84 years old and diagnosed with early stage colon cancer. The surgeon suggested taking out that part of her colon. My wife told her aunt she would die of old age long before she would die of colon cancer. her son Frankie told her that God wanted her to have this surgery. My wife told her cousin Frankie, the born again preacher, that God does not make those decisions. Her aunt Stella never recovered from the surgery. My wife was in the hospital with her every day until she passed away. One time her blowhard son came up and began to lecture us about what Gods will is. The last words I ever spoke to this man were... you killed your own mother Frankie, don't lecture me about Gods will. If God was standing in front of you right he would let you know what a piece of s**t you are. His kids did not take it that well but this proclaiming what Gods will was was a load of BS. Gods will should never be confused with common sense.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

god doesn't make any decisions. we are on our own.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:00 am god doesn't make any decisions. we are on our own.
100% correct. Many people of faith would say they are guided by what they believe Gods will to be. Somebody telling me about having the fear of God put in them never made sense to me. If you claim God loves you why be afraid?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:58 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:00 am god doesn't make any decisions. we are on our own.
100% correct. Many people of faith would say they are guided by what they believe Gods will to be. Somebody telling me about having the fear of God put in them never made sense to me. If you claim God loves you why be afraid?
Splitting hairs. God does make the final decision, so the fear of God is based on avoiding sin. We certainly have freewill, some will argue that His decisions have already been made for each us through predestination. It is the paradox between freewill and His judging.
~Livy
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:58 am100% correct. Many people of faith would say they are guided by what they believe Gods will to be. Somebody telling me about having the fear of God put in them never made sense to me. If you claim God loves you why be afraid?
G-d's will is short-hand for doing the right thing. It's because G-d loves you (and vice-versa) that you have fear. You love G-d so you want to do the right thing. (FWIW, the original language in the Five Books of Moses of "fear" of G-d is yiras (hebrew) which can be translated as fear but awe is a better translation.)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Return to “POLITICS”