Facegram & Instabook

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Facegram & Instabook

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:44 am Congress should just shut down Facebook, Twitter and any "instant feedback" platform.

Or put those who regularly abuse the system on a 2-week post delay like they do on TV.
That too.... Just don’t understand how politicians can be given the same latitude as Joe down the street.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:37 am
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:59 am BREAKING: Zuckerberg says Facebook and Instagram are blocking President Trump from using their services indefinitely.

I have no idea how politicians can be allowed to spread lies and for basically free. What a time we live in.
Roger MacNamee, a VC guy who ran a tech company in the 90s I've long since forgotten (maybe Sun Microsystems or similar) made an interesting point. He starts out going, "I don't believe in censorship at all" (as I'm thinking uh oh, where's this dude going), but then followed with how they are broken business models that are the problem. The "product" is engagement which increases with amplification of topics and it turns out that hatred is easily amplified and you can't turn your eyes away from it so therefor have forced, increased engagement. Referred to Zuck's move as one done out of desperation. Almost like when you were a kid and didn't really want to see baby seal clubbing, columbian neck ties and live autopsies but couldn't resist figuring out a way to watch Faces of Death VHS tapes.

If he's correct though, it speaks in volume to a bigger question we need to consider regarding all social media and related open communication platforms as they exist today. Also means we are heading for massively increased regulation of these businessess (i.e., don't worry as much about google necessarily, but maybe placing some shorts around FB would be a worthwhile idea).
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:46 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:37 am
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:59 am BREAKING: Zuckerberg says Facebook and Instagram are blocking President Trump from using their services indefinitely.

I have no idea how politicians can be allowed to spread lies and for basically free. What a time we live in.
Roger MacNamee, a VC guy who ran a tech company in the 90s I've long since forgotten (maybe Sun Microsystems or similar) made an interesting point. He starts out going, "I don't believe in censorship at all" (as I'm thinking uh oh, where's this dude going), but then followed with how they are broken business models that are the problem. The "product" is engagement which increases with amplification of topics and it turns out that hatred is easily amplified and you can't turn your eyes away from it so therefor have forced, increased engagement. Referred to Zuck's move as one done out of desperation. Almost like when you were a kid and didn't really want to see baby seal clubbing, columbian neck ties and live autopsies but couldn't resist figuring out a way to watch Faces of Death VHS tapes.

If he's correct though, it speaks in volume to a bigger question we need to consider regarding all social media and related open communication platforms as they exist today. Also means we are heading for massively increased regulation of these businessess (i.e., don't worry as much about google necessarily, but maybe placing some shorts around FB would be a worthwhile idea).
I mentioned to a good friend of mine when Twitter first came out that twitter and Facebook was just going to make people actually dumber. He thought I was crazy.... years later he said there was something to what I was saying. Media influences people and when there is no filter, the easier it is to mislead people. I don't care about Joe public using those sites. Politicians misusing those sites is a different can of worms.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wonder if there's a way to create a "Reg FD" for politicians. Like if you said something that you wouldn't stand up under oath in a court of law and make the same argument, statement or case then it's illegal and subject to censure or worse? Politicians are not "regular citizens" so arguably in that role there can be oversight that wouldn't fly with all citizens such as oversight on their communications.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Twitter removes the accounts of Michael Flynn, Sidney Powell and other high-profile supporters of President Trump that promoted the QAnon conspiracy theory.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
a fan

Post by a fan »

Parler is about to lose the Apple Store. :lol:

Fake conservatives don't know how to code......good luck with that.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

It's a good thing they closed those barn doors. Now where are those darn horses?
njbill

Post by njbill »

I’ll bet Twitter is monitoring that John Barron Twitter account right about now.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Meanwhile, at Parler...
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

They're free to use their own servers, build their own cloud platform to spin up new instances.

I mean if you're gonna fight that hard to prevent gay people from getting cakes from a private business, you can't complain about private businesses doing what they want when they serve you.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

holmes435 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:33 am They're free to use their own servers, build their own cloud platform to spin up new instances.

I mean if you're gonna fight that hard to prevent gay people from getting cakes from a private business, you can't complain about private businesses doing what they want when they serve you.
Rumor has it Trump is preparing to sue these platforms, on a theory that they have conspired with State actors -- Democrats -- to purge him and deny/impede his First Amendment rights.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:06 pm Welcome to Parler.
https://www.mediaite.com/news/pro-trump ... om-parler/
He is free to abide by rules.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Parler's brand is built on free speech and even they can have their limits.
Caddy Day
a fan

Post by a fan »

holmes435 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:33 am They're free to use their own servers, build their own cloud platform to spin up new instances.
RightWIngNutjob America has a real problem-----they're not smart enough to code. And apparently silicon valley is no longer willing to enable them....

It's pretty hilarious when you think about it.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:34 pm Parler's brand is built on free speech and even they can have their limits.
Just wait until section 230 is repealed. We'll be back to the days of getting all our news from Walter Cronkite.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i'm no white-shoe, but imma guess any real challenges if they come are gonna be on civil rights and anti-discrimination law. not the oft parroted 1st amendment rights.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

RT @jaketapper: I would tell you how many followers I have lost but I have no idea how many i had before because I’m an adult
Caddy Day
old salt

Post by old salt »

CU77 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:44 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:34 pm Parler's brand is built on free speech and even they can have their limits.
Just wait until section 230 is repealed. We'll be back to the days of getting all our news from Walter Cronkite.
Walter's long gone. It'll be War Storytime with Brian Williams.

Return to “POLITICS”