We aint doin' so good in the rat race

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
HooDat

Re: We aint doin' so good in the rat race

Post by HooDat »

the other thing they have is kids who are sticking around - and as part of a multi-generational home are an essential part of their retirement plan
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

...well... is it really "paid for"?

didnt they pay for it?
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
a fan

Post by a fan »

No, it's not paid for. Current workers are paying for Boomers' Medicare.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:19 pm No, it's not paid for. Current workers are paying for Boomers' Medicare.
But current Boomers paid for prior retirees' Medicare, as well as helping to keep the deficits from overwhelming the budget for the past many years. So in an indirect sense it _is_ paid for...
a fan

Post by a fan »

Mathematically incorrect. The greatest generation collected Medicare before the price explosions of the last 30 years hit.

Currently Medicare recipients take out $3 in care for every $1 they put in.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:27 pm Mathematically incorrect. The greatest generation collected Medicare before the price explosions of the last 30 years hit.

But that is the Boomer's fault? That we as a nation pay roughly double on health care as other countries?
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:27 am
a fan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:27 pm Mathematically incorrect. The greatest generation collected Medicare before the price explosions of the last 30 years hit.

But that is the Boomer's fault? That we as a nation pay roughly double on health care as other countries?

In general they've been in charge of the government and health care organizations the past 30 years. So they certainly have ownership of the mess now and are partially to blame, although they don't bear full responsibility.

Then you've got people like Reagan who also contributed a ton to the mess.
a fan

Post by a fan »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:27 am

They're running the country, and have been for 20 years. So----yes.

They think "the problem is solved" because we keep borrowing money to cover the fact that they weren't taxed enough for Medicare.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Does the "$1 put in" include the Medicare premium retirees pay each year or only the payroll tax they paid during their working careers?
a fan

Post by a fan »

No. But the annual premium is a small contribution to that math. That premium might cover $.10 of that 1-3 ratio.

The 3-1 ratio, which was increasing yearly, was slowing with the advent Obamacare. I'll try and find where we stand in 2019 and see if that ratio improved or worsened in the last five years.

Haven't looked lately.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Our healthcare costs, healthcare outcomes etc all fall. Show poorly on world indices. Our cost for heanthcare is multiples higher than healthcare costs of equal or better quality.

Nikki Haley made the mistake of dissing Norway’s heanthcare in a tweet very recently. She got schooled though I doubt she will internalize it. Our system is a FUBAR.

Ourcexoloding deficit is not primarily due to any of the major social programs.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:19 pm No, it's not paid for. Current workers are paying for Boomers' Medicare.
what i meant was- if they are taxpayers- or even were taxpayers- they paid into the system.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:18 pm
what i meant was- if they are taxpayers- or even were taxpayers- they paid into the system.
and so the "GREATEST GENERATION" took gold plated health insurance from their kids (as the boomers paid into the system while young and taking little out) and left their grandchildren holding the bill for the lot (as the boomers started taking out of the system that their kids are now paying for)....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Riding healthcare costs. Very preventable in a different system. It’s not like there are no examples out there to learn from. There are several ways to attack the problem

Those Millenials will pay into it and later benefit just as the boomers have done. The mote in the eye is the Congress.

All of it for a healthcare system whose ROI is substandard and has produced heanthcare outcomes that are way below where they should be for costs that are far above what they should be
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Back from almost a mos. overseas.
Some amazing things to see and do over there. The food and art and architecture blows away everything in the States. Naturally. They have had a tad longer to develop and build/rebuild. ...
But coming back, I'm incredibly thankful to be living where I am.
It's still the little things about everyday life in Europe that suck. For all the complaints about the US's versions of things, don't forget Europe's: bad drivers, tiny cars, giant egos, tiny coffees, idiotic trash collection, lousy laundry machines, terrible WiFi, and of course lots of intolerence/racism.
I was flabberghasted at the way people talked /treated others overseas. And directly to their faces. For as "bad" as we are, the US is pretty amazing in a lot of ways. Including our tolerence for others, open mindedness and, work ethic and innovation.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
a fan

Post by a fan »

Which countries did you visit? I've never had a bad experience in Europe/UK.
old salt

Post by old salt »

...my problem. I adapted to driving like a European (except for in Naples), ...& still do sometimes.

At least, when you put on your blinker to change lanes, they flash their lights & leave you space, rather than speeding up to cut you off.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

In Amalfi having to get back to Sorrento. Car is a problem so we hire car at 11 PM. It’s nighttime.

As we are driving up the coast we are on one side or the other of the center line so I ask the driver about it. His reply “ sometimes I feel like driving in the sun and sometimes I feel like driving in the shade. In Italia road signs are only suggestive.”

In Italy if you have the right of way take it or you might not leave the spot you are on. Goes for peds too

Return to “POLITICS”