Conservative Ideology: A Big Lie

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
seacoaster

Re: The GOP, Its Past, Present and Future Direction

Post by seacoaster »

Haley buys a big, expensive, tasteless house:

https://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity- ... day-mobile
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:42 pm Haley buys a big, expensive, tasteless house:

Maybe she got the cash from another Ukraine energy company.....since that seems okay these days. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:42 pm Haley buys a big, expensive, tasteless house:

Is that in Cold Spring Harbor?
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:25 pm

Actually it is...palm trees have been sprouting up on the North Shore due to "global warming" and "climate change" too ;)

That is a fuggly house...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Actually it is...palm trees have been sprouting up on the North Shore due to "global warming" and "climate change" too ;)

It was a joke...... I have seen those on the island, without the landscaping.....
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:40 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:33 pm

It was a joke...... I have seen those on the island, without the landscaping.....
yes there are plenty of tasteless houses and people on the Island. :D

I did my time on the Island...5 yrs was enough.
Last edited by tech37 on Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:19 pm

Maybe she got the cash from another Ukraine energy company.....since that seems okay these days. ;)
That's some place...good for her.
"Haley’s 2018 financial disclosure form showed various forms of debt, including between $25,000 and $65,000 in credit card debt and both a line of credit and a mortgage worth between $250,000 and $500,000, separately. Nikki Haley’s debt, therefore, could range anywhere from $525,000 to $1.1 million.

On top of that, Haley’s financial disclosure form showed a mortgage worth at least $1 million on an investment property she took on from her parents in 2017. However, she and her husband, Michael Haley, reportedly sold the property for $1.2 million in January 2018, according to The State, a Columbia, S.C.-based newspaper.
Nikki's Public Disclosure Report - 2016

Nikki's Public Disclosure Report - 2018

The only change between the two forms was in Section 5 - Spouse's Employment Assets, Income, and Retirement accounts.

'14 had nothing in this category, '18 had a LLC between $1-$5 million

Haley's husband is employed full-time as a federal military technician with the South Carolina Army National Guard.[1]

These are just facts. Not many folks with her net worth can purchase and carry this property.

Guess it's just one of the benefits of being in the .01% club.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

foreverlax wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:52 pm

That's some place you're joking...good for her.
"Haley’s 2018 financial disclosure form showed various forms of debt, including between $25,000 and $65,000 in credit card debt and both a line of credit and a mortgage worth between $250,000 and $500,000, separately. Nikki Haley’s debt, therefore, could range anywhere from $525,000 to $1.1 million.

On top of that, Haley’s financial disclosure form showed a mortgage worth at least $1 million on an investment property she took on from her parents in 2017. However, she and her husband, Michael Haley, reportedly sold the property for $1.2 million in January 2018, according to The State, a Columbia, S.C.-based newspaper.

The only change between the two forms was in Section 5 - Spouse's Employment Assets, Income, and Retirement accounts.

Haley's husband is employed full-time as a federal military technician with the South Carolina Army National Guard.[1]

These are just facts. Not many folks with her net worth can purchase and carry this property.

foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

tech37 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:07 pm
foreverlax wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:52 pm

That's some place you're joking...good for her.

Not joking in the least...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Not my personal style, but I do like all the openness to the outdoors, takes advantage of views etc.

There are a whole lot uglier homes. Kiawah and south are quite likely to be much like this.

What does a Boeing board seat pay?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Pompeo's State Department Christian faith group makes the news:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion ... influence/

"The existence of a faith-based professional group doesn’t itself stick out in Washington, where Bible-study groups gather all around Capitol Hill and prayer breakfasts for politicians are common. But as an official part of an administration that has consistently emphasized the concerns and rights of one segment of American religion — social conservatives and, in particular, white evangelicals — this first-ever Christian-specific employee group is being watched by church-state experts, former leaders of faith-based work at State and some employees.

Jack Moline, executive director of the Interfaith Alliance, said the group is problematic because, by using government resources during working hours, it appears to violate the constitutional ban on the government establishing — or favoring — a particular religious group. That, Moline says, is what makes it different from other affinity groups.

“The Constitution doesn’t prohibit bowling leagues, but it’s very clear about religion,” said Moline, whose group works to protect boundaries between religion and government. On its website, the group describes itself as an “alternative voice to the Religious Right.”

“There needs to be caution anytime government comes near promotion of a faith tradition or faith in general,” Moline said. “We’ve been concerned about lots of officials in the Trump administration. This is not helped by the State Department homepage featuring Secretary Pompeo talking about being a Christian leader.”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:32 am Not my personal style, but I do like all the openness to the outdoors, takes advantage of views etc.

There are a whole lot uglier homes. Kiawah and south are quite likely to be much like this.

If you have been following the MAX saga, the last thing that company needs is another politically connected board member. Talk about a company that can't get out of its own way. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:59 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:32 am Not my personal style, but I do like all the openness to the outdoors, takes advantage of views etc.

If you have been following the MAX saga, the last thing that company needs is another politically connected board member. Talk about a company that can't get out of its own way. :roll:
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Boeing ... KO7,15.htm
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Bill Cohen weighs in on the party with which he used to, anyway, be affiliated:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... elessness/

"Cohen has no doubt that Trump has abused his power and committed impeachable acts. He starts with Trump’s public accusations and threats against lawmakers. “Certainly that’s an abuse of power. There’s nothing like the president basically inciting [attacks].” Trump does this, Cohen says, when he suggests a “civil war” would occur if he were ousted. “Now we have people walking around with AR-15s and AK-47s. What are we doing here?”

Cohen talks in terms Republicans rarely do these days. He sees the presidency as a fiduciary role, a position of trust. “We hold fiduciaries to a higher standard than we do anyone else,” he explains. “Power must be entrusted to someone, but no one can be trusted with power.” Hence, we have our checks and balances. For Cohen, Trump’s conduct unquestionably is impeachable. “It’s not a close call for me,” he says.

On Ukraine and Trump’s holdup of aid to extract election fodder, Cohen says, “I think it was perfectly corrupt.” He suggests that this is part of a pattern we have seen ever since Trump demanded that then-FBI director James B. Comey pledge personal loyalty. “We’re on the road to tyranny if people don’t step up,” Cohen says bluntly.

On Russia more generally, Cohen says, Russian President Vladimir Putin “wants to reconstruct the former Soviet Union under a Russian flag.” Everything from Trump supporting Brexit (weakening the European Union) to his raising doubts about NATO to his “undermining the CIA” by siding with Putin serves Putin’s interests. Cohen thinks the answer may lie “in those tax returns” Trump is hellbent on keeping secret.

Cohen, who still travels the world and speaks to business and government leaders, says, “We’re still number one in terms of power, but our credibility and trustworthiness is called into question” when other countries see that Trump was ready to endanger Ukraine. “There is less fear of the United States, but also less admiration,” he says glumly. And it’s that moral authority, not just military power, that allows the United States to influence events in the world, Cohen notes.

In his mind, the impeachment process has been handled correctly, keeping witnesses from syncing up their testimony. “They have to do what the special prosecutor [in Watergate] did,” he says, recalling the long period of private meetings and interviews before Watergate’s public hearings. “I think if you took a vote now in the Senate, all but one or two … virtually all would acquit,” he surmises. “But we are still a long way to go.” He thinks it is possible that upon hearing the witnesses the public’s attitude may shift, and when voters shift so will some Republicans.

As for Collins, he says: “She is very methodical. She’s not as liberal as people think. She’s a moderate Republican. I think what she will do is go through all the evidence and do what she thinks is right.” Maine is an odd state — half rural and conservative, half urban and liberal. He concedes, “It’s a no-win situation for her whatever she does.”

I couldn’t help but observe that there is no Republican, not a one, in the Senate who is as thoughtful, measured or informed about the world as Cohen. The Senate, he acknowledges, has lost a lot of power, in large part because it has given up power, as we’ve seen with Trump’s evasion of confirmation for top officials. However, it has also lost power, from my vantage point, because the quality of men and women in that body has gone downhill precipitously since Cohen was there. I’m not optimistic it can regain some former luster by behaving responsibly in the impeachment process."

Yeah, he must just be crazy. He probably "needs help." This is what the "benefit of the doubt" and "patience" with, and then support of, an incurious, feckless, narcissist will get you.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:19 pmMaybe she got the cash from another Ukraine energy company.....since that seems okay these days. ;)
Alas, they don't pay nearly enough. Hunter B only got a total of around $700K from Burisma. Nikki's mansion was $2.4M.

https://checkyourfact.com/2019/10/17/fa ... -payments/
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:37 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:59 pm

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Boeing ... KO7,15.htm
That’s around $240,000 for about 240 hours a year of work (excluding travel time). That is, $1,000/hour.

Not a bad gig.

For what it’s worth, Haley’s house is nice (not great). Lots of natural light, spacious high ceilings, ensuite bathrooms, and high-quality finishes. I wouldn’t choose it at that price point, but it’s a nice home.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

njbill

Post by njbill »

His favorite character on Hogan's Heroes was Sgt. Schultz.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Nikki Haley interview with Nora O'Donnell. Based on this interview Haley falls into the class Trump lover. No chance I would ever consider voting for her.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:05 pm Nikki Haley interview with Nora O'Donnell. Based on this interview Haley falls into the class Trump lover. No chance I would ever consider voting for her.
Ahh well, another disappointment in the Trump Era.

Return to “POLITICS”