NCAA Football

General Chatter
holmes435

NCAA Football

Post by holmes435 »

Nice to see the real Catholics beat up on the Convicts on Welles Crowther day.

Also happy to see Penn State out of the race. Hopefully Notre Dame will lose enough to not see the repeat embarrassment of 2012. Not the embarrassment of the score, as they played hard, but the embarrassment of including them in the championship conversation by the powers that be.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Re: NCAA Football 2018

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

some nice surprises this year. northwestern- looking good. NC state was a surprise until this weekend. even cuse looks good.

i still think LSU can beat bama maybe 2 out of 10 games, maybe even okla 1 out of 10. clemson should be in the mix. im not sure about georgia and im always down on michigan/ND. they get ranked artificially high because of the tv contracts and merchandising.

i still cant figure what happened to nebraska. after a horrid 0-6 start, frost is on the hot seat (joke?). two straight wins but still not impressive for the husker faithful. reminds me of when colorado won a title 20 years ago and then stunk for years. how does that happen? at least with bama it was the penalties and loss of scholarships...
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Annual Army-Navy game this Saturday:

https://armynavygame.com/
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote:Annual Army-Navy game this Saturday:

The White House confirmed President Donald Trump will attend Saturday's Army-Navy game in Philadelphia. Wonder if 'the resistance' will be brave enough to make a public disturbance with all those military men & women around...
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nigel wrote:

The White House confirmed President Donald Trump will attend Saturday's Army-Navy game in Philadelphia. Wonder if 'the resistance' will be brave enough to make a public disturbance with all those military men & women around...

Minutemen, militia types, Antifa ??

Note likely.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Lake Wobegone's long time Division III rivalry St John's vs St Thomas to have a change of venue:

https://kstp.com/sports/st-john-thomas- ... -/5167166/

Very intense rivalry which previously drew a crowd of 37,000+ . I've been to 2 of these games and it is a highly intense atmosphere.

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Big day for Liberty in hiring former Ole Miss coach Freeze for his prowess with prostitutes. Good call by AD Ian McCaw who used to be at Baylor during the Art Biles days. I guess that’s what you’d expect from a place founded by Mr Moral Majority, Jerry Falwell. Now the Flamers are looking to add Larry Nassar to the medical staff and Charlie Rose to supervise the cheerleaders.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Nigel wrote:

Looked like a great day in Philly today. Army over Navy 17-10.

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Wish I could have been there:

old salt

Post by old salt »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:08 am Wish I could have been there:
They could pack 100k spectators into that old place. Parking was on those grass fields surrounding the stadium.
32 years later, I drove up from Pensacola for the game. My girl friend (now wife) flew in from StL to join me.
We sat through freezing rain to see time run out with Navy on the 1 yd line, driving for what would have been the winning TD.
We went out to where I parked my Vette. All that was left was wide tire tracks in the wet grass.
The Philly mounted cops said it was probably already on a ship headed for South America.
Our bags & my wife's purse with credit cards, id & plane ticket home were in the car.
With the help of the cops & the family of my buddy from Philly who rode up with me, he & I rode the train to DC to catch a ride with another Pcola bound buddy. We talked Eastern Airlines into giving my wife a replacement ticket, just based on our story. My buddies & I made it back to Pcola for our Mon a.m. flights. My wife was home for work on Mon. No longer a bachelor in Pcola with wheels (other than my BSA 650), we were married 5 mos later after I got my wings (she had a Mustang). She said that weekend was when she decided we should get hitched,
Things happen for a reason.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Things happen for a reason.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

meet the Big Ten Conference Network new prez: Francois McGillicuddy

He explained his name: Francois because of a French mom, and McGillicuddy because his dad is an Irishman from Brooklyn. He pledged to increase football coverage and to make the channel far more accessible for cable/satellite subscribers.

Brooklyn

Re: NCAA Football 2019

Post by Brooklyn »

Possible Upset of the Century: https://tinyurl.com/yyzrqqa9

Gophers now #1 in the Big Ten. I believe this is the first time since 1967 or thereabouts.

highlights:

https://twitter.com/search?q=gopher+foo ... r%5Esearch

I thought the refs missed a possible interference call in that play but that makes up for a bad call earlier. So, in the end the bad calls evened out. There has been much passion for Gopher football lately thanks to the great work of Coach Fleck who recently got a yuge contract extension. Lake WOHHbegone has spent much $$$ on the program and looks like it's finally paying off after all these years.

Rah rah rah for ski u mah ...

Brooklyn

Re: NCAA Football 2019

Post by Brooklyn »

Big rivalries this weekend:

tOSU vs Michigan

Alabama vs Auburn

Georgia vs Georgia Tech

Oregon vs Oregon State

and here in Lake WOEbegone, it will be Wisconsin-Minnesota for Paul Bunyan's Axe

ardilla secreta

Nice job by the Golden Gophers in powering past Auburn in the Outback Bowl. The program is now back to the times of Murray Warmath and Bernie Bierman.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Stanford to drop several sports (but will keep the football team):

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/stanford ... t-pandemic

Am surprised considering the school's multibillion dollar endowment. Other schools are also dropping sports.

ardilla secreta

I can’t believe they dropped synchronized swimming. The were a force.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 pm I can’t believe they dropped synchronized swimming. The were a force.

Dropping snycho is a crime against humanity.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

St Thomas gets approval to go from D3 to D1 in NCAA:

https://www.startribune.com/st-thomas-g ... 571780492/

The Tommies will make the transition from Division III to Division I beginning with the 2021-22 school year.

With over 10,000 students (many at the graduate level), a $500+ million endowment, and athletic history, it should have no trouble competing at that level. I would have preferred D2 for now but we'll see what happens. It was just too big a school to play at D3. Hopefully, it will maintain its rivalry with St John's in football.

https://www.startribune.com/st-thomas-t ... 571783822/

St. Thomas to Division I: What you need to know
:D
JULY 15, 2020 — 8:43PM
D-III to D-I in One Step

What you need to know about St. Thomas’ historic leap to Division I:

What’s so special about it?

St. Thomas received permission from the NCAA to move from Division III directly to Division I. Under normal circumstances, schools seeking to make such a move undergo a 12-year process, including a five-year stint in Division II. Instead, the Tommies are beginning a five-year plan this fall to become a full-fledged Division I program.

What’s the Summit League?

The Tommies will play in this conference — headquartered in Sioux Falls, S.D., and fielding nine full-time members in Midwestern states — in 19 of 22 sports. North Dakota State and South Dakota State, former Division II schools, became members in 2006. South Dakota joined in 2011 and North Dakota followed in 2017. The league’s website is thesummitleague.org.

What about Tommies football?

The Tommies will play in the Pioneer Football League starting in 2021, after one more school year in the MIAC. The PFL is a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as Division IAA) conference, which is one step under the big schools of the Big Ten and SEC in the Football Bowl Subdivision. FBS teams occasionally play FCS teams, in nonconference one-off games. So could the Gophers and Tommies square off in a Battle for Minnesota someday? Technically, yes, but there’s a big difference between resources and competition in FBS and FCS.

Are their football opponents nearby?

The Tommies will gain some serious frequent flyer miles in the Pioneer Football League. There are now nine football teams, with Jacksonville having just departed for the Atlantic Sun Conference. St. Thomas and Presbyterian College in South Carolina will arrive in 2021 to give the conference 11 teams. Teams hail from California, New York, Florida, North Carolina, Iowa (Drake) and other states.

What is the FCS postseason like?

The FCS playoffs look more like college basketball than big-time college football. Twenty-four teams make the FCS playoffs, with eight of those teams getting a bye to the Sweet 16. The eight Round 1 winners advance, and those 16 teams battle through the bracket — the highest ­remaining seed plays host in each round — to try to reach the championship game in Frisco, Texas.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”