NBA

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: NBA

Post by Brooklyn »

Bulletin:

The NBA Has Suspended Its Season After Rudy Gobert Tests Positive for COVID-19

https://www.bleachernation.com/bulls/20 ... -covid-19/

Utah Jazz All-Star Rudy Gobert has tested positive for coronavirus, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

Sources say Gobert is feeling good, strong and stable — and was feeling strong enough to play tonight.

@kirkgoldsberry
"No player has left the arena yet. From what we understand right now, the players are being - I don't know if I want to call it 'held' - behind those double doors, but they are not leaving, a lot of them are confused as to why they aren't leaving the arena yet."@royceyoung on SC

The NBA responded immediately and extremely:

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn
The NBA has suspended the season.

8:31 PM - Mar 11, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
72.5K people are talking about this
We’ll get into the fallout as soon as we know more.

Making things even more messed up, just two days ago, amid the start of concerns about COVID-19, Gobert did this:

Eric Walden

@tribjazz
As part of the Jazz’s COVID-19 response, shootaround availability was done in the ZBBC media room today rather than on the court. As Rudy Gobert got finished discussing the situation, he stood up, leaned over and made it a point to touch every mic and recorder in front of him. 😂

While tonight's Maverick's game is still going on, it has a very eerie feel to it. I have never seen anything like this in my entire life.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nikola Jokic is ready for season's re-start:

Amazingly, he has lost an extraordinary amount of weight:

Nuggets All-Star Nikola Jokic appears to have lost a lot of weight, but is that good for his game?
Part of Jokic's effectiveness comes from his size, so he'll have to adjust to a new playing weight if he keeps the pounds off

Evidently, it is a legit weight loss, not something that resulted from illness or injury {whew! big sigh of relief, there}

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DDpGBt8NB8
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

No NBA this afternoon but we did have TBT shown on ESPN.

Big X 68
Red Scare 77

Most of these guys played in Europe's top leagues. Some may have had a year or so in the NBA. Red Scare got 14 treys. Tournament uses "Elam" scoring where the winning score is 75. With 4 minutes to go, once this number is reached the team wins, no over time. There is a $ 1 million pay out to the winning team at tourny's end with players getting an equal share.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

powerful statement by NBA players:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

LA Clippers 130
Mavericks 122

Round 1 Game 3 with LAC leading 2-1.

F Kahwi Leonard 36P, 9R, 8A = great all round game & support from the bench.

Luka Doncic managed a triple double before he got injured. May possibly miss the rest of the series. He has been injured or bruised so many times this year that you wonder how long of a career he is going to have. I hope he avoids injuries in the future so that he can have a long and productive career.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

This gets my nomination for Game of the Year!

https://www.google.com/search?q=dallas+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

Just imagine what the crowd reaction would have been if the game had been played in front of a sellout crowd in Dallas. Very intense game with both squads playing as aggressively as humanly possible. There were a few defensive lapses and maybe a few calls missed by the officials but those did not detract from the quality of the game.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nuggets at Lakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFrrbM4 ... ure=onebox

Great game. Sensational ending. Nuggets need more balanced attack. Amazing ball handling and outside shooting by some big guys in the league nowadays.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Heat at Lakers - NBA Finals:

Heat players dropping like flies and referees giving LeBron every call he wants. Looks like it will be a quick series Championship for LA.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

New season is just around the corner. Knicks defeat Cleveland 119-83 in preseason.

TV announcer and former NBA great Walt Frazier was talking like he believes the good old days of NY style basketball are back at MSG. While the team does have a lot of youthful talent, it will have to show a lot more good before anyone can sing Happy Day Are Here Again for the team. One on the plus side for them is the good defense plan put together by Coach Tim Thibodeux. He is well known for his emphasis on team D. But in the run to the playoffs they will need veteran leadership and I do not see that on the present team.

But I'll keep my fingers crossed in the hope for Knicks success.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Is New York Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau too tough for the toughest job in sports?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/305 ... job-sports

Tom Thibodeau returns to the Knicks as a tough guy in a tough market facing the toughest job in American sports. He was hired to save the Knicks from themselves, and his success or failure might ride on the answer to this simple question:

Is he too tough for his own good?

"The Knicks are in good hands ...

"When you look at the Knicks right now, the best attribute they have on their roster is Tom."

{But} "If you just don't want to be pushed to the hilt ... "Thibs is not your cup of tea."

.. The Athletic conducted an anonymous poll last year of 127 NBA players that asked them 16 questions, including this one: Which coach, aside from your own, would you not want to play for? Thibodeau was the runaway winner/loser at 34.6%, receiving 18 votes from the 52 respondents. (He was the only coach to receive more than a dozen votes.) Another question -- Which coach, aside from your own, would you want to play for? -- was answered by 121 players, who named 22 coaches in all. Tom Thibodeau did not receive a single vote ...

Thibs did not do particularly well when he coached the Lumber Puppies here in Lake Wobegone. But it may be that he did not get the proper administrative support he needed as T-Wolves management has always been its poorest attribute. I am waiting for the first big NY media interview when (if) things start to go bad for the team's fortunes. As we all know, the NY sports media is merciless as are the City's sports fan who are exceptionally knowledgeable about the game and are the most demanding in this and every other sport.

Knicks have a very young team with a lot of potential talent. Now it's up to Thibs to mold them into winners. He has the knowledge and skill required to do so. But his temperament - ah, that temperament - you wonder if he can put everything under control and set the proper course for the team.

I sure hope so as it would be great for the NBA and for the entire City.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:25 pm Is New York Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau too tough for the toughest job in sports?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/305 ... job-sports

Tom Thibodeau returns to the Knicks as a tough guy in a tough market facing the toughest job in American sports. He was hired to save the Knicks from themselves, and his success or failure might ride on the answer to this simple question:

Is he too tough for his own good?

"The Knicks are in good hands ...

"When you look at the Knicks right now, the best attribute they have on their roster is Tom."

{But} "If you just don't want to be pushed to the hilt ... "Thibs is not your cup of tea."

.. The Athletic conducted an anonymous poll last year of 127 NBA players that asked them 16 questions, including this one: Which coach, aside from your own, would you not want to play for? Thibodeau was the runaway winner/loser at 34.6%, receiving 18 votes from the 52 respondents. (He was the only coach to receive more than a dozen votes.) Another question -- Which coach, aside from your own, would you want to play for? -- was answered by 121 players, who named 22 coaches in all. Tom Thibodeau did not receive a single vote ...

Thibs did not do particularly well when he coached the Lumber Puppies here in Lake Wobegone. But it may be that he did not get the proper administrative support he needed as T-Wolves management has always been its poorest attribute. I am waiting for the first big NY media interview when (if) things start to go bad for the team's fortunes. As we all know, the NY sports media is merciless as are the City's sports fan who are exceptionally knowledgeable about the game and are the most demanding in this and every other sport.

Knicks have a very young team with a lot of potential talent. Now it's up to Thibs to mold them into winners. He has the knowledge and skill required to do so. But his temperament - ah, that temperament - you wonder if he can put everything under control and set the proper course for the team.

I sure hope so as it would be great for the NBA and for the entire City.
Thibs hates rookies and inexperienced younger guys as much as anyone. (Like Larry Brown or Rick Carlisle). Not the best match IMO but it’s the Knicks so doesn’t really matter.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:04 pm

Thibs hates rookies and inexperienced younger guys as much as anyone. (Like Larry Brown or Rick Carlisle). Not the best match IMO but it’s the Knicks so doesn’t really matter.

Also prefer the veteran players since they are more likely to accept certain roles in the scheme of things.

Up until tonight the Knicks have not put together the cohesion they need to win. Somehow, they managed to set aside much of their individual plans, played together well, passed the ball, took good outside shots, and played solid defense. Reminds me of the Red Holzman days. One guy in our chat quickly came up with this gem of a sports meme:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The return of the Afro:

https://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.2 ... /image.jpg

Nets' Jarrett Allen.

Fro power!

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

NBA Tonight:

Warriors @ Mavericks: Final 132 - 134

Warriors MVP = Stephen Curry Pts: 57 Reb: 2 Ast: 5

Mavs MVP = Luke Doncic Pts: 42 Reb: 7 Ast: 11

Excellent game decided at the very last minute.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametrack ... 06_GS@DAL/

NBA at its finest.

Sad news in the world of basketball: legendary Tom Konchalski reported in grave condition:

https://nypost.com/2021/02/06/h-s-baske ... ng-cancer/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... ed-up-him/

https://www.allthingshoops.com/tom-konc ... ng-legend/

Devout Catholic, old school scout. Never learned to use a laptop and always wrote out or typed his many reports. Beloved by so many people. In the tv broadcast tonight all three announcers had something wonderful to say about him. I believe that I mentioned him in a post in the old LP forum quite a while ago. Wishing him the very best ...

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:35 pm NBA Tonight:

Warriors @ Mavericks: Final 132 - 134

Warriors MVP = Stephen Curry Pts: 57 Reb: 2 Ast: 5

Mavs MVP = Luke Doncic Pts: 42 Reb: 7 Ast: 11

Excellent game decided at the very last minute.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametrack ... 06_GS@DAL/

NBA at its finest.

Sad news in the world of basketball: legendary Tom Konchalski reported in grave condition:

https://nypost.com/2021/02/06/h-s-baske ... ng-cancer/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... ed-up-him/

https://www.allthingshoops.com/tom-konc ... ng-legend/

Devout Catholic, old school scout. Never learned to use a laptop and always wrote out or typed his many reports. Beloved by so many people. In the tv broadcast tonight all three announcers had something wonderful to say about him. I believe that I mentioned him in a post in the old LP forum quite a while ago. Wishing him the very best ...
Sad news about Konchalski....he is legendary.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Sad to say, we lost that true gem of a human being:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketba ... ign=Sports

Those who knew Konchalski marveled at his incredible memory for faces, names and members of your family and the way he took notes, lefthanded, writing on his pad from bottom to top. Konchalski never had a cellphone or VCR or answering machine. He typed HSBI on a typewriter and sent it by mail.

"And he had so many things he could tell you about the history of New York basketball and everyone you should be recruiting," Wright said. "If you were fortunate enough to be giving him a ride to or from a game, it was gold."

Last of the old school bball scouting reporters. He will never be replaced.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nets game tonight vs Kings:

Great balanced team scoring. Bruce Brown dominant with 29p and ball control. James Harden with a triple double = 29p 11r 14a. Joe Harris came off the bench with 18 very important points. But as good they played and have been playing, Championship style defense still isn't there. Coach Steve Nash is going to have to make certain adjustments just like Bill Sharman did when he made strategic changes with the LA Lakers back in the day.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:37 pm Nets game tonight vs Kings:

Great balanced team scoring. Bruce Brown dominant with 29p and ball control. James Harden with a triple double = 29p 11r 14a. Joe Harris came off the bench with 18 very important points. But as good they played and have been playing, Championship style defense still isn't there. Coach Steve Nash is going to have to make certain adjustments just like Bill Sharman did when he made strategic changes with the LA Lakers back in the day.
The Nets are a hard team to like for me. I liked them over the past couple of years, now I can’t watch them.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:01 am The Nets are a hard team to like for me. I liked them over the past couple of years, now I can’t watch them.

A few years ago the Vikings made a big mistake by trading away many drafts choices for Herschel Walker. Their offense did get stronger but their defense did not. They declined very badly while the Cowboys went on to win several championships. This year the Nets traded away drafts choices for Harden. It's a good bet they will have a similar experience as they have not strengthened their D.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:17 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:01 am The Nets are a hard team to like for me. I liked them over the past couple of years, now I can’t watch them.

A few years ago the Vikings made a big mistake by trading away many drafts choices for Herschel Walker. Their offense did get stronger but their defense did not. They declined very badly while the Cowboys went on to win several championships. This year the Nets traded away drafts choices for Harden. It's a good bet they will have a similar experience as they have not strengthened their D.
This deal for the Nets was better times than the deal for Garnett and Pierce from Boston. Those guys were beyond their prime and the Nets dug themselves out of it a couple of years ago....then re-did it for younger guys. I just don’t like any of those three players personalities. If the Nets don’t do it this year, it’s not going to happen.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”