Science & Engineering

General Chatter
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Science & Engineering

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:09 am Its turtles all the way down.
:D

http://www.chinabuddhismencyclopedia.co ... ion_theory
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:18 pm Interesting discovery on the moon.
Thanks for posting
Typical Lax Dad

In the process of reading a pretty scary book. Demon in the Freezer. My wife teaches genetics and infectious disease courses and I saw the book on her table. Frightening. If this big melt comes, who knows what we will be dealing with. You just don’t know. If it’s something worse than smallpox, we will be in a world of trouble..... “species become extinct, viruses move on”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Thoughts on this Navy pilot's encounter with UFOs just published - would be curious for opinions forum resident aviators and sailors as well as scientists here from Navy F-18 pilot encounter from USS Nimitz in 2004.

Navy Pilot Who Filmed the ‘Tic Tac’ UFO Speaks: ‘It Wasn’t Behaving by the Normal Laws of Physics’

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/12/ ... rwood.html

Another article back in May on the similar encounters by F-18 Navy pilots from USSTheodore Roosevelt in 2014-15 off the East Coast

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/us/p ... Position=3
Typical Lax Dad

Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

A guy from Montana contributes key information about lichens - now they seem to be a three-way partnership between two fungi and a bacterium:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how- ... ket-newtab
Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 am A guy from Montana contributes key information about lichens - now they seem to be a three-way partnership between two fungi and a bacterium:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how- ... ket-newtab
Thanks. I am going to ask my wife about this.
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Not really new, but just documenting Betelguese's behavior.

The latest news. It was guessed the dimming would have stopped by now (intelligent guess, not just pulling beans out of the ass as goes on around here so frequently). It has not as of last weekend.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

I had not seen this in the news. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Think I will buy the book.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:55 am Not really new, but just documenting Betelguese's behavior.

The latest news. It was guessed the dimming would have stopped by now (intelligent guess, not just pulling beans out of the ass as goes on around here so frequently). It has not as of last weekend.
Why is it postulated that when Betelgeuse supernovas that it will be the end of the constellation Orion? Is that because the light emitted will reduce the visibility of the other stars that currently make up the constellation?
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:05 am
I had not seen this in the news. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Think I will buy the book.
It’s is a very interesting article....but humans can’t figure out how CO2 emissions impact the earth.

Another interesting article:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... -zero/amp/
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:15 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:55 am Not really new, but just documenting Betelguese's behavior.

Why is it postulated that when Betelgeuse supernovas that it will be the end of the constellation Orion? Is that because the light emitted will reduce the visibility of the other stars that currently make up the constellation?
I am not aware of any theory that says it will be the end of the constellation. Most of the stars in the constellation will not see any effect of the explosion. It will certainly change the appearance of Orion in the upper left corner of the constellation; the star will be replaced with an expanding gas bag over a period of time, so it is fair to say the Orion we know today will no longer exist. Betelgeuse is far enough away that earth will not feel much of anything. Probably the biggest effect will be a greatly increased volume of neutrino's reaching earth in the period "immediately" after the explosion, but since matter barely interacts with neutrinos, not a big deal. The volume of other high energy particles reaching earth (these could kill us) will also increase, but they will be greatly attenuated in numbers given the distance (these do interact with intervening matter - fortunately). If it happens I our life time, enjoy the show. The expanding gas bag will be visible in the day light (looking like a very bright star, ultimately fading away to invisibility). The expanding gas bag will act to obscure celestial objects behind it, that effect will increase with the passage of time.

Most recent update from "Sky & Telescope".
Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

The incomplete understanding on why planes can fly:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... n-the-air/
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fast-radio ... y-16-days/

"A mysterious deep space radio burst is sending signals to Earth every 16 days

By Sophie Lewis

February 11, 2020 / 2:50 PM / CBS News

A mysterious object in a galaxy 500 million light-years away is confusing scientists with its signals. It appears to be transmitting signals that reach Earth in a repeating, 16-day pattern, but researchers have no idea why.

According to a recent study, this marks the first time astronomers have detected a reliable pattern in the signals, known as fast radio bursts, or FRBs. It's an important step in figuring out where the bursts originate from.

Before now, such pulses appeared to be random in timing. That changed when the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment Fast Radio Burst Project (CHIME/FRB) discovered a repeating pattern."

Thoughts on how significant this could be?
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:58 am https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fast-radio ... y-16-days/

"A mysterious deep space radio burst is sending signals to Earth every 16 days

By Sophie Lewis

February 11, 2020 / 2:50 PM / CBS News

A mysterious object in a galaxy 500 million light-years away is confusing scientists with its signals. It appears to be transmitting signals that reach Earth in a repeating, 16-day pattern, but researchers have no idea why.

According to a recent study, this marks the first time astronomers have detected a reliable pattern in the signals, known as fast radio bursts, or FRBs. It's an important step in figuring out where the bursts originate from.

Before now, such pulses appeared to be random in timing. That changed when the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment Fast Radio Burst Project (CHIME/FRB) discovered a repeating pattern."

Thoughts on how significant this could be?
As my father used to say, one day, we could be someone else's food.... I posted a link to the CNN article earlier. It may just be a matter of time before we run across another type of being. If you think about the number of suns, it is just a matter of time. I recall reading that the universe is made up of more stars than there are grains of sands on every beach on the planet. Mind boggling.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:43 am I recall reading that the universe is made up of more stars than there are grains of sands on every beach on the planet. Mind boggling.
But most of them are extremely far away.
Live Free or Die!

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”