Baseball

General Chatter
DMac

Re: Baseball

Post by DMac »

Nigel's breathing a little easier today, 1-1. Rays came back strong, bangin' 'em out, along with good pitching keeping the Dodgers bats out of the game...well, until the last couple of innings anyway. Got mighty interesting down the stretch.
If Seager gets any hotter he's going to burst into flames fer krissakes....good ballplayer on a roll.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Yeah Seager is playing like it's a contract year, and it's not. He went yard earlier here in game 4.

Hunter Renfroe just went deep to make it 3-2 so we got a game!
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

World Series 2020 Game 4

Post by Brooklyn »

Brett Phillips "walk off" game winning hit:

https://twitter.com/KfdxTobin/status/13 ... gr%5Etweet

https://twitter.com/Local24Clayton/stat ... gr%5Etweet

The most bizarre ending in a World Series game I have ever seen. Series tied at 2-2.

I started to watch the annual battle of the Little Brown Jug between Michigan & Minnesota footballers but am glad that I made the switch to this game instead. The games have all been too long - each over 3 hours. But they have been exciting and very intense.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

Damn it, damn it, damn it!!!! Couldn't hang last night, went to bed, score was two-zip Dodgers and they looked to be in control. Just bringing too many big bats to the plate and the Rays just weren't. Thought it was all over but the shouting, figured the Dodgers had all but wrapped up the series.....but NOPE!
I hear ya with the length of games, Brookie, but somehow it just does not bother me with baseball, it's such a very cool game. No truer words than it aint over til it's over with baseball, clock don't mean jack in that game.
In the days of yore you were just screwed if missed a game, not so today. Here's your highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSjOeGaEf14
Game five today at eight o'clock...maybe I better sneak in a little nap today. :D
njbill

Post by njbill »

After last night’s 42 hour game, Ray Didinger pointed out on the radio this morning that perhaps the greatest game in baseball history (NYY fans won’t agree), game seven of the 1960 World Series (final was 10-9), lasted 2:36.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Any explaination why? Unlimited trips to the mound, small ball was played then, fewer strike outs, etc.
10-9 game, two and a half hours...that's a lot of ABs and runs.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Fewer pitching changes. Pitchers took much, much less time between pitches. I imagine they didn’t have 10 minutes of commercials between innings.

Some years ago, I made a bet with a younger coworker about length of games. I said that most games in the 60s took two hours or less. I was wrong, but not by much.

Edit: just looked it up. One team used five pitchers and the other four. Looks like all changes or almost all were made mid-inning. Maybe they didn’t go to five minutes of commercials like nowadays.

Just being puckish. Haven’t watched one pitch of baseball this year. Was a big fan growing up in the 60s, but have gradually lost interest except when the Phillies were doing well.

From what I hear, sports have lost a tremendous amount of viewership through the pandemic. I imagine the fans will come back at some point, at least for most sports. We shall see.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Figured there had to be a bunch of pitching changes in that game, gotta figure a bunch of visits to the mound by catchers and managers too (which you're not going to get today). Can't say that it looks to me as if pitchers are taking longer these days, I'd almost guess less. Not screwing around with the rosin bag as much or adjusting their other bag as much either. Think you're probably right about the TV part, probably does play a big role in the length of time. I sure can't put my finger on why it would be such a longer game, things look pretty much the same to me. Go to a few Triple A games a year, they've instituted a twenty second pitch clock which, I must say, keeps the pace of the game going nicely. That's plenty of time too, pitcher's not rushed at all.
Really can see how much of an affect TV has on a game. Lax game in the Dome and the teams are ready to go but can't start til the TV guy gives them the okay. Happens on nearly every face off, other times too.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Dodgers win World Series 2020. For the first time in all my years of watching the WS, I cast my vote for MVP to Mgr Dave Roberts of the Dodgers. He made all the right moves and outsmarted Kevin Cash at every opportunity.

https://stories.mlb.com/live/635886.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=dodhers ... e&ie=UTF-8

First WS win in 32 years. Sixth since they moved from God's Country to LA.

Funny how MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred got viciously booed by the fans in attendance.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanks Mookie!!
There's a Taco Bell about a mile from me, since my travels took me right by it I felt obligated to get one.
Didn't want to be unappreciative/disresectful to Mookie. Yes, I thanked the young man at Taco Bell, told
him to tell Mookie I said thanks too. Then asked him what you'd call a dog that has no legs. It's a hit every
time, he thought it was hilarious. As many times as I've used that, you'd think everyone in the world would
know the answer by now.
(Doesn't matter, he wouldn't come anyway.)

Rays of hope are all gone for Tampa Bay, bats failed 'em while the Dodgers lumber proved to be too much,
lotta good hitters on that team. Was a good series though...oh, sorry Nigel.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Thoroughly enjoyed this abbreviated baseball season, especially after being really po'd about the early off field fighting that took place between the players and the owners. So, one more year before the next labor battle is what I read. Of course, the next hot stove season maybe a prelude to that as I don't imagine many owners coughing up stupid money for simply average ball players anymore like in the past. No doubt the baseball agents of the world are gonna be screaming bloody murder at the lack of lucrative contracts being offered.

As for the Dodgers, I guess it was finally their year. They're a really solid team with stars that played great and role players that made great contributions. As Brooks said, a lot of credit goes to the manager for his decisions and his management of the personalities. Their payroll certainly helped but the return on investment looks pretty good right now - certainly better than the Yankees, Scrubs, Nats, and Sawx.

Just learned too that Hulu Live is axing many regional sports networks and the YES network over money. Guess the Yankees need that add'l money to go get their next Jacoby Ellsbury. :x
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:57 pm Dodgers win World Series 2020. For the first time in all my years of watching the WS, I cast my vote for MVP to Mgr Dave Roberts of the Dodgers. He made all the right moves and outsmarted Kevin Cash at every opportunity.

Funny how MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred got viciously booed by the fans in attendance.
Cool masks........I was thinking of getting the kind they are wearing.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:43 am

Series ended in controversy with 3B Justin Turner testing positive for covid and then getting onto the field hugging everyone without a mask on.

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/10/28/ml ... to-travel/

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/10/28/wh ... community/

But then Turner is just reflecting a significant chunk of the national attitude.

COVID-19 can be handled with a Kleenex and a Tylenol. Death rates are down. The more people who get the virus, the more immunity we’ll share. The cases are skyrocketing merely because there are more tests.

This ignores a lot of science, particularly the “long-haul” phenomenon, in which the recovered patient is still bogged down, or worse, by symptoms. Dodgers relief pitcher Kenley Jansen admitted Tuesday that he still isn’t all the way back from his coronavirus episode.

What next?

ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:11 am

Series ended in controversy with 3B Justin Turner testing positive for covid and then getting onto the field hugging everyone without a mask on.

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/10/28/ml ... to-travel/

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/10/28/wh ... community/

But then Turner is just reflecting a significant chunk of the national attitude.

COVID-19 can be handled with a Kleenex and a Tylenol. Death rates are down. The more people who get the virus, the more immunity we’ll share. The cases are skyrocketing merely because there are more tests.

This ignores a lot of science, particularly the “long-haul” phenomenon, in which the recovered patient is still bogged down, or worse, by symptoms. Dodgers relief pitcher Kenley Jansen admitted Tuesday that he still isn’t all the way back from his coronavirus episode.

What next?
blame Sturgis :D
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:57 pm Dodgers win World Series 2020. For the first time in all my years of watching the WS, I cast my vote for MVP to Mgr Dave Roberts of the Dodgers. He made all the right moves and outsmarted Kevin Cash at every opportunity.

Your purpose here was to bring politics to the thread? Just wanted to make sure people were at each other's throats here too?
Watch any of the games? Any comments about the series? Get your free taco?
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

DMac wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:23 am

Your purpose here was to bring politics to the thread? Just wanted to make sure people were at each other's throats here too?
Watch any of the games? Any comments about the series? Get your free taco?
Yup......don't read you bitching about sport bringing politics into their respective games.........just following along.

And , why is pointing out hypocrisy at each others throats? stop being such a Karen.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Got plenty to say about sports bringing politics into games, whole lot of it I don't watch because of that.
No, you're not just following along, you're instigating.
People are at each other's throats in damn near every other thread, spare me your Karen/hypocricy bullschidt.
Wasn't happening here til you entered.
Congrats.
There, I answered your questions, now answer mine.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

DMac wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:33 am Got plenty to say about sports bringing politics into games, whole lot of it I don't watch because of that.
No, you're not just following along, you're instigating.
People are at each other's throats in damn near every other thread, spare me your Karen/hypocricy bullschidt.
Wasn't happening here til you entered.
Congrats.
There, I answered your questions, now answer mine.
Healthcare is political?

I am being serious. where do you get off telling people they bring politics into a bunch of millionaires NOT following MLB rules?

It IS called an observation. YOU....made it about politics (oh, btw, WHICH political party do I belong too? exactly )

Perhaps, try a hybrid next time.....ease the vitriol a bit.

they DO make see thru masks DMAC......even see thru this

https://www.buzz.ie/news/russian-nurse- ... ter-380003
DMac

Post by DMac »

The thread was about baseball, just a little light hearted discussion by a couple of fans until you entered.
It's all yours, partner, tell me all about those millionaires not following the MLB rules and all those irresponsible ball players not wearing masks (not that I can't find that same discussion on thread(s) dedicated to it).
Don't care what political party you belong too...anymore than you care what party I belong too (which are actually probably the same).
There, I answered your questions again, you still haven't answered mine.
You didn't even watch the "boreball", did you (you just wanted to come on and throw some non political healthcare schidt in the discussion, eh?)?
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

DMac wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:37 am The thread was about baseball, just a little light hearted discussion by a couple of fans until you entered.
It's all yours, partner, tell me all about those millionaires not following the MLB rules and all those irresponsible ball players not wearing masks (not that I can't find that same discussion on thread(s) dedicated to it).
Don't care what political party you belong too...anymore than you care what party I belong too (which are actually probably the same).
There, I answered your questions again, you still haven't answered mine.
You didn't even watch the "boreball", did you (you just wanted to come on and throw some non political healthcare schidt in the discussion, eh?)?
fair enough....... guess talking about a Supreme ct. justice IS talking baseball. (few posts in) All I ask is people be consistent in their critique.

Reason why I chimed in here, IS because MLB is shoved down our throats. Just wanted to watch ANYTHING else.

You can't even go into a pharmacy without getting slammed with MLB trinkits of junk.........it IS systemic.

Who really cares if some chump (me) and a handful of people see my observation during a world wide health crisis. No one does on the actual thread over in the politics bath water. But Sturgis

SO.....NO....no way, would I spend a moment watching MLB. I know enough that the "moneyball" style of playing is about as exciting alley dodging offense, even tho the fast break was there. "He gets on base".....yawn.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”