Baseball

General Chatter
DMac

Re: Baseball

Post by DMac »

That is NOT where you want to sit if you want to see a ballgame, a couple of huge distractions there making it pretty tough to focus on the game. Baseball is a very cool game, I do like it and don't care about the pace of the game and all of that kind of talk. It is what it is and it it aint over til it's over...I like that part.

Ian Anderson's wiki....signed for a cool four mil. Not too bad for a twenty something year old. Lot of baseball going on in that family.
Ian Anderson's twin brother, Ben Anderson, also played baseball for Shenendehowa and was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 26th round of the 2016 MLB Draft.[51] Ben committed to play baseball for Binghamton University. He eventually decided to attend Binghamton University instead of signing with the Blue Jays. He spent three seasons playing there before being drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 13th round of the 2019 Major League Baseball draft.[52][53] Anderson also has a youngrer brother named Isaac.[54] His father, Bob Anderson, won multiple New York State championships as a coach at Schalmont High School.[55][56]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Anderson_(baseball)
DMac

Post by DMac »

Am a little worried about my boy Ian and today's game. Really nowhere to go but down (up, really) when you're carrying a 0.00 ERA (post season) and those Dodgers are going to come out really hungry for that W. Big game for the rookie, lotta pressure.
Go Braves!!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Another sweet tune from Ian Anderson, hits all the right notes with four more innings of post season shut out ball.
Record for post season shut out ball by a rookieis eighteen innings, Anderson's closing in on that, think he has 15 2/3rds at this point, can't remember for sure. Braves up 5-0, new pitcher coming in for the Braves. Another W for the rook? Aint over til it's over, we'll see.

Geezuz H, Braves win it 8-7. Braves up 7-0 in the 7th, got mighty interesting from there.
Best catch of the night is in the Braves bullpen when a Dodger home run comes over the fence.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I watched it up until Anderson rolled out, that guy can find corners, and put curve balls in what looks the same spot but the break in different locations. Reminds me a bit of Maddux with his control.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, you pretty much had to figure that was going to happen. Dodgers explode for eleven runs in the first inning. That's eighteen runs in their last four innings. Wow.
Go Braves!!!!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:46 pm Well, you pretty much had to figure that was going to happen. Dodgers explode for eleven runs in the first inning. That's eighteen runs in their last four innings. Wow.
Go Braves!!!!
Ugh. Turned it on moments ago, then turned it right back off. Braves need Jobu and some rum for their bats.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Dodgers dodge win number two, Braves up 3-1.
Go Braves.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Did not turn on the tv last night, stayed outside until 10pm by the fire to soak in the outdoors before the expected rain, then went straight to bed. Smiled this morning while reading the recap of last night. Looking forward to the game tonight.

Go Braves!
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Dang it Braves.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

One play can sometimes turn things around. Really dumb play by the Braves, runner leaves third and scores on a fly ball. That's fine and dandy 'cept Mookie (who is also a 300 bowler..has done it several times) made the catch on the fly ball and the runner didn't tag before leaving. That play suddenly goes from the Braves up 3-0 with one out to back to 2-0 with three outs. LL mistake, turned the mo around and the Dodgers went on a roll. I switched the channel after that play, pretty much figured where it was going to go from there, could feel it coming. Don't like the feeling of that series right now although it might set up The Musician to pitch the seventh game. Lotta pressure!!!

Stros rose from the dead, gotta love a game seven.

Go Braves!!!!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nope. Dodgers excelling at the dodge the elimination game. Up next, game seven.
Dodgers are in the Braves' heads, Braves need a Mookie type play to grab the mojo
back. Mother baseball is being very kind to her boys from the angel city, Braves
gotta hope she's in a different mood tomorrow.
Pitcher's going to have to orchestrate a masterpiece, hit every note on the scale perfectly.
Good thing it's Ian Anderson, I guess.
Go Braves!!

A little between game entertainment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSrq_qjB_Y&t=661s
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

What the Bravos need is for Ronald Acuna and Dansby Swanson to show up. Game 6 wasn't a bust for them as Swanson went 3-4 and Acuna drove in their only run. Gotta build on it. Anderson also needs to go at least 5 innings. Love to see the Dodgers go down.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:45 pm Nope. Dodgers excelling at the dodge the elimination game. Up next, game seven.
Dodgers are in the Braves' heads, Braves need a Mookie type play to grab the mojo
back. Mother baseball is being very kind to her boys from the angel city, Braves
gotta hope she's in a different mood tomorrow.
Pitcher's going to have to orchestrate a masterpiece, hit every note on the scale perfectly.
Good thing it's Ian Anderson, I guess.
Go Braves!!

A little between game entertainment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSrq_qjB_Y&t=661s
Classic Braves baseball. They would drive me bonkers in their hey-day of the early 90's, when bobby Cox arrived. With all that talent, the bats would go silent when it mattered.

Almost pains me to watch an entire game until they get to the WS, been let down far too many times. Maybe not having the tomahawk chop will bring good ju-ju.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

LL mistake on the bases gonna cost the Braves this one too.
Lost track on Anderson, think he ended up with 18 1/3 shut
out post season innings before they got to him for 2. No L
for him though.
3-2 Braves bottom of 4, Dodgers up to bat. Final will be 9-2 Dodgers.
Braves handed 'em back the mo.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Same thing different decade. Silent bats bite them again, pitching can only do but so much.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Really was more their LL mistakes on the bases than their hitting. You've got men on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and you get doubled up on a grounder when no one should have been going...end up with a man on first with 2 down. Absolutely awful play just as the one in the previous game was. Can't make those kind of mistakes at that level, particularly at this time of year. Oh, and Mookie Betts is something else, really good ball player.
Really got no dog in the hunt, just happened to be watching when Ian Anderson made his debut v the Yanks and pitched 6 1/3 innings of no hit, shut out ball, caught my attention and was just pulling for the kid. Pretty darn good season all in all and didn't leave the Braves in a hole when he came out...score was 2-2.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

DMac wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:15 am Really was more their LL mistakes on the bases than their hitting. You've got men on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and you get doubled up on a grounder when no one should have been going...end up with a man on first with 2 down. Absolutely awful play just as the one in the previous game was. Can't make those kind of mistakes at that level, particularly at this time of year. Oh, and Mookie Betts is something else, really good ball player.
Really got no dog in the hunt, just happened to be watching when Ian Anderson made his debut v the Yanks and pitched 6 1/3 innings of no hit, shut out ball, caught my attention and was just pulling for the kid. Pretty darn good season all in all and didn't leave the Braves in a hole when he came out...score was 2-2.
Tough break for Anderson when he was up 2-0. He got a routine ground ball to second but the fielder had been shifted over past the base, SS side. D*mn analytics cost him from getting out of the inning, the lead, his pitch count, and some of the Braves momentum.
Baserunning play was just plain awful but the Braves only had three hits all game. ESPN stat heads love the exit velo and the launch angle but how about mixing in some batting average?
I'm rooting for the Rays and I hope they do it with an occasional sac bunt, sac fly, stolen base, gapper, baltimore chop, and anything else they can muster. Beat LA!
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Any prediction for the 2020 World Series?

I usually jinx my picks so I won't make one, at least not now. Having watched part of the playoffs, I really liked some of the great defensive plays made by RF Mookie Betts (LA), RF Hunter Renfroe & CF Kevin Kiermaier (TB). DH Randy Arozarena (TB) looks like a future super star as he has incredibly powerful hands.

opener features Glasnow vs Kershaw

I understand this is the first time the WS is being played at a neutral site.

Play ball!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

Free tacos for everyone on Oct 28th...thanks Mookie.
For the second time in three years, Mookie Betts has won free tacos for America. Taco Bell's annual "Steal a Base, Steal a Taco" promotion has been a great success through the years, setting Twitter ablaze anticipating the first stolen base of the World Series – which earns everyone a free Doritos Locos taco.
Tough call, Brookie, but I don't think the Rays can beat the Dodgers in a 4 out of 7 series. Haven't watched either team very much but the Dodgers bring an awful lot of power and good hitters to the plate. Gonna be tough to get by that. The team that was going to beat them was the Braves, who had them on the ropes but then more lost that series than the Dodgers winning it, IMO. Since they survived that, I think they're going to go all the way.

There really has been some gorgeous defense in the post season, both in the infield and outfield....baseball is a very, very pretty game. Been aggressive base running too, which I like. I like to see the arms challenged. These guys can fire it, but can they put it on a dime? Most times, no...Swanson went from first to third on a not so deep hit in the last series. Throw beat the runner but was way off the mark (he then scored when the next batter hit him in too). Most teams/runners would have been conservative and held up at second...I like seeing those arms challenged.

Mookie is just a playah, pretty hard to not like that guy.

Braves gotta have this one today, not a good spot to be down 0-2 to these Dodgers.

Play ball!!!
Brooklyn

Re: Baseball - World Series 2020

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/ ... -score-mlb

Good first game. IIRC the Dodgers were projected to be the top team in MLB at the beginning of the year. Last night they showed why. Great balanced attack with speedy base running, good pitching, and solid defense.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”