World Soccer

General Chatter
Matnum PI

Re: World Soccer

Post by Matnum PI »

Bundesliga, La Liga, and the Premier League... Might as well start up the Champions League.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Bundesliga, La Liga, and the Premier League... Might as well start up the Champions League.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

and, sure enough.

Champions League Will Resume in August in Lisbon.

http://endlesssoccer.com/2020/06/17/cha ... in-lisbon/
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

and, sure enough.

Champions League Will Resume in August in Lisbon.

http://endlesssoccer.com/2020/06/17/cha ... in-lisbon/
Caddy Day
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Would love to see Aston Villa do well and Jack Grealish is one of my favorites, but Sheffield U on the edge of getting into Euro play really got screwed today.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Very strange to have English league footy in June... but, a GOOD kind of strange. Friday: Tottenham v Man Utd; Sunday: the Merseyside derby. Good stuff!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:23 pm Would love to see Aston Villa do well and Jack Grealish is one of my favorites, but Sheffield U on the edge of getting into Euro play really got screwed today.
ridiculous the goal wasn't recognized.
Caddy Day
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

... and goal-line technology had been working so much better than VAR.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Sevilla vs Barça

final tab: 0-0

Was on a chat with loads of Poms and couldn't help torturing them with the word "soccer" - a term they absolutely hate. HATE, big time. Dunno why as the channel BEIN uses that term as did BBC when it played the old Soccer Saturday show. Love those folks to death which is why I tease them like that.

The game lacked the usual fire since it the stadium did not have an audience. Under international rules all games are played sans the crowd due to the plague. Sevilla seemed to have more ball control in 2d period while Barça dominated the first half. Seems like the Catalonians have an aging team and maybe that's why they slowed down in the 2d half.

Would rather be outdoors watching youth soccer but this is all I have for now. Oh well - better than nothing.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

If the Poms really insist on "Football", you can always reply with "English-rules Football". When they object, just say you want to distinguish among:
- American-rules;
- Canadian-rules (NFL Strike);
- Aussie-rules (remember the early days of ESPN);
- Gaelic / Irish-rules (annually on the Wide World of Sports); and
- English-rules
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:14 am
- Aussie-rules (remember the early days of ESPN);
Yes, muscular dudes in tight shorts and sleeveless shirts running around a vast cricket pitch playing something like free-form rugby.

Anyway, it's good to have English football / footy / Premier League back.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

44WeWantMore

Aussie-rules (remember the early days of ESPN)

FannOLax

Yes, muscular dudes in tight shorts and sleeveless shirts running around a vast cricket pitch playing something like free-form rugby.

I remember those days quite well. Ar first some hard drinking American jocks loved the sport cause they found it particularly physical. But it's virtually the same game every time with seemingly very little strategy. Point after point scored by getting a "behind". :lol:
Eventually they became bored as hell, the ratings dropped, and ESPN stopped presenting it.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

WHU 0
WOL 2

EPL game broadcasted on NBC. Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OICAbp- ... ure=onebox

Game began with a kneel down in support of BLM. Great move by EPL to do so. Now it's time for the NFL's sissy directors to do the same.

Adama Traore was brought in to start the 2d half and took great control of the ball. He made some beautiful distributions which led to Wolves' 2 goals (72' & 83') for the win. Players looked a bit winded and the game lacked the usual great intensity which is so typical of EPL matches - perhaps they have not been allowed to work out adequately in order to get into their normally great conditioning. Still, it's great to be able to watch more live sports again.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Everton 0 - Liverpool 0

Mersey Side derby ended nil nil. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnGu7SN ... ure=onebox

Game again lacked intensity and the teams need to engage in more strenuous shooting drills. Perhaps they really need the boisterous crowd to fire them up. Poms need to learn how to pronounce their own language - it's not "dar" by. It's "doy" by, just like we used to say in Brooklyn. Reds leading EPL with season ending soon.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Betis 1
Espanyol 0

Marc Bartra with the winning gol for the Sevillanos. Called "King of the Match" rather than MVP in Liga Santander.

Lots of beards on both sides. I understand soccer now allows 5 subs in their matches (total of 12 on the bench) and that "cooling periods" at the 23d minute appears to be a permanent part of the game.

Re Espanyol, I like the spelling of the team name in the Catalonian language: Reial Club Deportiu Espanyol (this means Royal Spanish Sports Club). While this team has won the Campionat (Championship) several times over the years, the club has fallen on bad times. Because of this loss, they may well fall into second tier relegation.

FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Glad that Liverpool will be able to claim its much-deserved League crown. Interesting race in England for European spots, with surprise package Sheffield United apparently fading. Odd how the post-break EPL spreads out games throughout the week with very few over the weekend; oh well.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I love it. Every day, from 1 until 5:15, I have soccer background noise... and i can jump to visuals when something interesting happens. I love it.
Caddy Day
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yes, but one EPL game on Saturday just isn't enough!!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Sevilla 1 (Olivas 25')
Valladolid 1 (Ocampos 83')

@55' El Haddadi appeared to have scored on a breakaway but it was overturned as an offside by a VAR review. In truth it seemed like a benefit of the doubt situation & I would have allowed it.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”