Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

General Chatter
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

dislaxxic wrote:Stan Lee, 95, TITAN of the comic book industry.

RIP, Stan, you gave us all SUCH and incredible ride!

6FECE8FD-FB86-492A-A43A-7C1D46C606A7.jpeg
6FECE8FD-FB86-492A-A43A-7C1D46C606A7.jpeg (68.97 KiB) Viewed 4528 times
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Ricky Jay, famous for his role in Deadwood:

https://www.newsweek.com/ricky-jay-dead ... es-1230069

Born in Brooklyn as Richard Jay Potash, he started playing in comedy clubs and nightclubs at the age of four.

His card-throwing ability was legendary, with the Guinness Book of Records listing him as throwing a playing card 190ft at 90mph.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Voice of Ricky Jay in opening of Magnolia.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Italian Film Director Bernardo Bertolucci, 77.

Last Tango In Paris, perhaps his best known film...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Sad day in Bikini Bottom. Stephen Hillenburg, creator of SpongeBob Squarepants, succumbs to ALS at 57. Drinks on the house at the Krusty Krab.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

ardilla secreta wrote:Sad day in Bikini Bottom. Stephen Hillenburg, creator of SpongeBob Squarepants, succumbs to ALS at 57. Drinks on the house at the Krusty Krab.
ALS is such a horrible disease. I have a good friend from high school who is going to die from ALS. I saw her in April of last year and she had not been diagnosed. She looked and felt great but was complaining about some foot pain. By July she had more weakness in both legs. By September they diagnosed ALS. Today she is confined to a wheelchair with less mobility and worsening symptoms by the day. Such a healthy person just a short time ago. Terrible terrible disease.

RIP and bottoms up at the Krusty Krab!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Lot of ALS awareness in Syracuse right now with the local, well liked, boy Tim Green.
Tough stuff for sure.
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/video/1378100803692
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

# 41 Bush croaks:

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow?ref_src=tws ... r%5Eauthor

While his war on Iraq was clearly an act of imperialism, at least he had the guts to call Trump a "blowhard" and voted for Hillary.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Brooklyn wrote:# 41 Bush croaks:

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow?ref_src=tws ... r%5Eauthor

While his war on Iraq was clearly an act of imperialism, at least he had the guts to call Trump a "blowhard" and voted for Hillary.
You're slipping too far left my friend. Please explain how the Gulf War was an act of imperialism in a proper thread? He did a lot of good things for this country, including reaching across the aisle and rolling back a few of Reagan's terrible policies when necessary. He was one of the smarter few who knew when to exit the Middle East.

He had his faults yes, but he is probably the best Republican president since Eisenhower.

I hope he is back in the arms of his wife somewhere.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

RIP President Bush... sir I salute you... salut1
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

What a life of service and love of country. He was a naval aviator, congressman, director of the CIA, VP, President. RIP
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

holmes435 wrote:

You're slipping too far left my friend. Please explain how the Gulf War was an act of imperialism in a proper thread?

Just a reminder that the first group to condemn his war on Iraq was the John Birch Society. I'll leave further discussion of that for another day, place, etc ...

wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

GHWB,our 41st President served the public in various positions of responsibility for over 70 years.His politics were controversial to many and spot on to others.I ain't a historian,but I can't think of any POTUS that didn't evoke strong reactions from we the people. argue1

Eager to see/hear the reactions/comments from our 4 extant Presidents. ;)
Last edited by wahoomurf on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Our last President worthy of the office he held.

Fair winds & following seas.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Mr.President:

"Today we are here to say the watch stands relieved; relieved by those he has led, guided and trained. Sailor, you sir stand relieved.We have the watch."

PMM
BUD/S- 45
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Ken Berry, 85:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/02/obit ... at-85.html

Immensely funny and talented - great dancer.

foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

From the NYT
But in reality and in retrospect, Bush was a kinder and gentler breed of leader. He believed in courtesy, as any lawmaker who dealt with him and any journalist who repeatedly crossed paths with him can attest. He believed in manners, not merely as an outgrowth of his patrician background and not principally in a fussy way, but because he saw them as an expression of respect. To read his voluminous letters is to encounter a man who cared deeply about that — about precedent, propriety, tradition. And, yes, about kindness.
Yes, a man who honored the offices he earned, who showed respect because that is what you do....he was the embodiment of The Greatest Generation.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

"WE HAVE THE WATCH SAILOR.WELL DONE".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDjwUzUnNpU
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

foreverlax wrote:From the NYT
But in reality and in retrospect, Bush was a kinder and gentler breed of leader. He believed in courtesy, as any lawmaker who dealt with him and any journalist who repeatedly crossed paths with him can attest. He believed in manners, not merely as an outgrowth of his patrician background and not principally in a fussy way, but because he saw them as an expression of respect. To read his voluminous letters is to encounter a man who cared deeply about that — about precedent, propriety, tradition. And, yes, about kindness.
Yes, a man who honored the offices he earned, who showed respect because that is what you do....he was the embodiment of The Greatest Generation.

Trump was asked by a reporter, "do you regret anything you've said in the past about the Bush's?"

His reply - looks away and says to the other reporters "thank you very much". :lol:

thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

From the Hopkins thread:
OCanada wrote:LaxPower - one of the LaxPower originals passed away today. Bob Fortenbough who was known on LaxPower as Lax Fi, Jersey Joe, Jack of Hearts, Weems Creek Weenie and about 12 more. A great lax fan and friend to many of us.RIP.
Sad to hear. LaxFi was a gentleman. He will be missed. Prayers to his family and many friends.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”