Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

Post by youthathletics »

Love his music on Sunday afternoons, occasionally sneaking up on the wife for a slow dance.

RIP James

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

If anyone is game, how about a comprehensive list of main usernames who are dearly departed that I could price putting on a LaxPower one size fits all baseball cap to identify those who remain at games and honor those who could not attend but are there in spirit. Someone could send me the artwork for new logo here. I'll try for some made in USA ones to shift the trade deficit back our way! :mrgreen:

Still wear my SBU Ron Lavalle hat most of season as does my coach.

ArtfulDodger
2BadKnees
LaxFi
The parent, not the coach.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

imp
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

JeffCincy
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:54 pm Frank Robinson, Orioles great, 83

As player, Robinson was the total package. But as manager he was seriously flawed. I well remember how baseball critics in NY said he was particularly harsh towards black players on his team as he demanded more production from them than from anyone else. It was said back then that he destroyed the career of Charlie Spikes who at one time was touted as the next Hank Aaron. Dunno if these allegations were true but that's what baseball commentators said.

RIP.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:09 pm
dislaxxic wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:54 pm Frank Robinson, Orioles great, 83

As player, Robinson was the total package. But as manager he was seriously flawed. I well remember how baseball critics in NY said he was particularly harsh towards black players on his team as he demanded more production from them than from anyone else. It was said back then that he destroyed the career of Charlie Spikes who at one time was touted as the next Hank Aaron. Dunno if these allegations were true but that's what baseball commentators said.

RIP.
I really didn't pay a lot of attention to him as a manager. As a player, he was very special. The deal that brought him to Baltimore was one of the all time great trades, made by any team. A color blind organization would never have let him go. Earl Weaver claimed he knew the minute the trade was made, that the Orioles would win multiple championships in the years immediately following - and they did.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

“Today is a very sad day because I lost not only my teammate, but also a very dear friend,’’ fellow Orioles legend Brooks Robinson said in a statement released by the Orioles. “I loved Frank and got to know him so much better after we both retired. … As a player, I put Frank in a class with Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and Mickey Mantle. He was the best player I ever played with.”
Two of my baseball heroes.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:25 am
I really didn't pay a lot of attention to him as a manager. As a player, he was very special. The deal that brought him to Baltimore was one of the all time great trades, made by any team. A color blind organization would never have let him go. Earl Weaver claimed he knew the minute the trade was made, that the Orioles would win multiple championships in the years immediately following - and they did.

Those sure were great days for the game of baseball. How I cherished them! Sad to say, the game is not as much fun for me nowadays. Back then you could expect a game to be completed in less than 2 hours. Some DH's taking no more than 4 hours. Today, most games last over 3 hours - 3 hours of sheer boredom with endless commercials, kiss cam, and other disruptions that have nothing to do with baseball.

How I wish I could bring back those times!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Requiescat in pace you brave and extraordinarily talented warrior.BOOYAH operator Kent. We got the watch.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/08/us/s ... gRead&te=1
Attachments
Special Warfare Command.jpg
Special Warfare Command.jpg (25.01 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Puerto Rican born HW wrestling Champ Pedro Morales, 76:

https://tinyurl.com/y2zpajqt

Generally acknowledged as one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. Won many world and regional championships as individual and tag team partner:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Tork of the Monkees:

they sure were a fun loving bunch

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

More on Peter Tork, 77

R.I.P.

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:29 pm More on Peter Tork, 77

R.I.P.

Thanks for your post Dis. Both of my sisters loved the Monkees and for some strange reason they both loved Peter Tork. It brings me back to a time in my life where my sisters had gotten over the Beatles and found a new musical love. Some of the excess posters wound up on my bedroom wall. The Monkees were the manufactured group that they were. They did have some impressive song writers in Carol King and Neil Diamond. Almost forgotten also Harry Nillson, Neil Sedaka and Michael Martin Murphy... who had that mega hit from my senior year in high school... Wildfire"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc3OnSQc48s
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:00 pm Peter Tork of the Monkees:

they sure were a fun loving bunch
Jane Goodall in great distress. The world needs more Monkees, not less.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:38 am

Jane Goodall in great distress. The world needs more Monkees, not less.

I sure do like that kool shirt as it's kinda 60s-ish.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

King Kong Bundy, 61, inventor of the Fabulous Five Count:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/wwe/109 ... llies-news

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”