For hockey fans...

General Chatter
dislaxxic

Re: For hockey fans...

Post by dislaxxic »

Will be thinking about hitting the links shortly...along with all my Flyer buddies...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:53 am Will be thinking about hitting the links shortly...along with all my Flyer buddies...

I think me and my Islander buds will be right behind you on the links! Isles fans have been cursed by the hockey gods for what we did to Taveras. We have not scored a point since reaching #91 points. It’s been 120 minutes without finding the back of the net. I am not looking forward to tomorrow afternoon in Philly! Yikes!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

DD-Tech wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:52 pm
dislaxxic wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:53 am Will be thinking about hitting the links shortly...along with all my Flyer buddies...

I think me and my Islander buds will be right behind you on the links! Isles fans have been cursed by the hockey gods for what we did to Taveras. We have not scored a point since reaching #91 points. It’s been 120 minutes without finding the back of the net. I am not looking forward to tomorrow afternoon in Philly! Yikes!
Too funny the #91 connection! If it continues in PHI they may need to go Hanson Bros on Sunday to reignite their mojo.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Didn't see the game, but the Isles seem to have "taken care of business" in Philly this weekend...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

D3 Wisconsin Stevens-Point Men’s Hockey Win Sixth National Championship in Overtime - 29-0-2 for the season!

https://www.ncaa.com/video/icehockey-me ... ship-recap

Never game up more than 3 goals against this season. GA avg = 1.4 (KRAZY!!!)

What a year, what an accomplishment!

https://athletics.uwsp.edu/index.aspx?path=mhockey

D1 tourney starts next weekend!
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Deep, deep, deep inside ESPN.com is a summary of the upcoming D1 Mens Hockey Tourney.

Link provided here - http://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor ... four-picks

No Gophers for you Brooksie but good representation of Minnesota nonetheless. Like the preview states, no BC, BU, ND, Wisconsin, or Michigan either. Amazing!

Love to see the Northeastern Huskies make some noise.

Games on ESPN 2/3/U/News this Fri/Sat/Sun. Hoot hoot!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

No Gophers for you Brooksie but good representation of Minnesota nonetheless. Like the preview states, no BC, BU, ND, Wisconsin, or Michigan either. Amazing!

Perhaps it was a YUGE mistake for the Gophers to leave the WCHA and go back to the Big Ten in puck. Had they gone to the National Collegiate Hockey Association they would have kept their traditional rivalries with SCSU, Colorado College, Denver, Duluth, W Michigan, and North Dakota. This is very important in the recruiting wars. Another thing is that the Gophers have only 5 players from out of state while SCSU and Duluth both have about 10 players or more. Sad that the team has declined as it did but the program has proven to be resilient in the past and it may soon re-emerge. Let's hope so.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Quite a story about Detroit Red Wing hockey in the early 90's.

https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/movies/ ... 1903140112
old salt

Post by old salt »

The Caps have a pretty good Russian 4, among their 12 Europeans & 12 North Americans (8 USA + 4 Canada)

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/WSH/2019.html

You can see the Russian & European influence in their style of play. ...not much dump & chase.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Nigel wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:53 pm Quite a story about Detroit Red Wing hockey in the early 90's.

https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/movies/ ... 1903140112
Reminds me of one of my favorite sports stories - some of the new Russians are taken to a Tigers baseball game. After observing the action (and obviously comparing the average effort to what a shift in hockey looks like) they ask, "they take showers after this?"
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Lakeville, MN is one of the fastest growing suburban cities in the state. It has an outstanding youth hockey program which produced SCSU player Ryan Poehling who made a great NHL debut:

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sp ... hl-history

Poehling scored a goal in the first, second and third periods, and then notched the game-winning goal in a shootout to give the Montreal Canadiens.

Awesome!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:49 am Lakeville, MN is one of the fastest growing suburban cities in the state. It has an outstanding youth hockey program which produced SCSU player Ryan Poehling who made a great NHL debut:

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sp ... hl-history

Poehling scored a goal in the first, second and third periods, and then notched the game-winning goal in a shootout to give the Montreal Canadiens.

Awesome!
I heard he had a total of 8 goals last year in college. Hatty for his debut in the NHL ain’t bad!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DD-Tech wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:28 pm
I heard he had a total of 8 goals last year in college. Hatty for his debut in the NHL ain’t bad!

Indeed - great start to his pro career. While at SCSU, I believe he led the team in assists or perhaps was second in that stat. Coach Larson's offensive scheme had him setting up shots for linemates. Worked well as their overall record was 30-6-3 though they missed making it to the Frozen Four:

Providence = Hockey East
Minnesota Duluth = NCHC

Denver = NCHC
Massachusetts = Hockey East

WCHA & Big Ten = 0
Both of these leagues better get their act together or they will miss out on recruiting elite talent from the scholastic and junior ranks.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Chicago Black Hawks - very classy organization

https://dms.licdn.com/playback/C4E05AQG ... sl6QVJPTaI
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Nigel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:31 pm Chicago Black Hawks - very classy organization

https://dms.licdn.com/playback/C4E05AQG ... sl6QVJPTaI
Awesome!
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

CBJ comes back after being down 3-0 to take a 4-3 lead and the win in Game 1

crazy!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Isles Pens...what a great game! The OT felt like a game seven and it's only game one!

It's playoff hockey, the hitting is back!
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Nigel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:52 pm Isles Pens...what a great game! The OT felt like a game seven and it's only game one!

It's playoff hockey, the hitting is back!
I’m exausted already and it’s only the first night... by far the most unproductive two months of the year for me just started.

My son and his girlfriend went to the barn last night for the game. I picked them up at the Marriott that adjoins the Nassau Coliseum parking lot and watched OT at the lobby bar. Long Island erupted last night on that OT goal. What a game!

A little after party scene from the Uniondale Marriott.... I’m shot...

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hustle and compete for loose puck...drive to front of net...establish position in slot...take puck of jaw, lose some teeth...GOAL...go visit team dentist...reenter game in 2nd period...PLAYOFF HOCKEY!

If Pavelski were a baseball player he'd be on the DL (or now called the PC IL) for 10+ days already.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

1970's style trading cards of today's stars.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”