For hockey fans...

General Chatter
DD-Tech

For hockey fans...

Post by DD-Tech »

There is an old salt out there who I know will like these 1967 throwbacks the Blues will be using this season! Blues jerseys are always one of my favorites!

https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/08/26/st-lo ... y-heritage

34 days 23 hours 52 minutes and 4 seconds until the first pick drops!

https://howmanydaystill.com/its/2018-2019-hockey
old salt

Re: For hockey fans...

Post by old salt »

. :) . ;) .
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

no NHL at this time of year but we do have this ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The no frills Ken Yackel arena in St Paul's West Side:

Here is where legendary Dave Hanson (and many others) played his scholastic/youth hockey.

At this point in the year, there is no ice on the playing field. Instead, the local summer inline skating league is finishing out its schedule. The sport is rather underrated IMO. It would likely be more popular if it allowed checking and some fighting. Thankfully, it doesn't.
Last edited by Brooklyn on Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Very cool Brooksie!

My two boys played in a great in-line league growing up. It followed NHL rules and it allowed full checking.... it also had its share of fighting that went along with the checks. There are not many inline leagues in the country like it.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Wow. Glad your sons had a good time playing (safely) but it's risky IMO to allow checking as it leads to too many injuries and fighting.

I used to watch roller hockey near Brooklyn College and in Manhattan's Upper West Side but understand that the games have now been shifted to the Upper East Side (Yorkville). It's a good bet that the games attract large amounts of fans like they did in the old days. It is definitely a fun game to watch.

DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Brookie,

Here is a clip of some pee wee division playoffs from that league. Check out the check at the 1:55 mark. Kid gets blown up, scores the goal, shakes it off and gets up and celebrates. Nothing like it. No mommy running out to the field to make sure he is ok. My kids got tough from hockey. Especially this league. There were some injuries in the 15 years I spent at that rink but nothing real serious.

Wish I could find some video of the older divisions. There were some great hockey players in that league. Some went on to play at a high level in college D1 ice hockey. A few made it to the NHL. One became terrific lacrosse goalie at Princeton.

Great league!

Outdoors in the cold from October through April. For like $150 you got 60 regular season games and then 3 rounds of playoffs. 2 best 2 out of 3 series then a best 3 out of 5 for the Cup! How could you beat that? There was a waiting list every year for players to get in the league. And there was a real cup. Came out of the shed every year and they would skate around the rink and drink sodas out of it lol

DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Where is Nigel? Did he ever get the memo?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DD-Tech wrote:Brookie,

Here is a clip of some pee wee division playoffs from that league. Check out the check at the 1:55 mark. Kid gets blown up, scores the goal, shakes it off and gets up and celebrates. Nothing like it. No mommy running out to the field to make sure he is ok. My kids got tough from hockey. Especially this league. There were some injuries in the 15 years I spent at that rink but nothing real serious.

Wish I could find some video of the older divisions. There were some great hockey players in that league. Some went on to play at a high level in college D1 ice hockey. A few made it to the NHL. One became terrific lacrosse goalie at Princeton.

Great league!

Outdoors in the cold from October through April. For like $150 you got 60 regular season games and then 3 rounds of playoffs. 2 best 2 out of 3 series then a best 3 out of 5 for the Cup! How could you beat that? There was a waiting list every year for players to get in the league. And there was a real cup. Came out of the shed every year and they would skate around the rink and drink sodas out of it lol

Wonderful post!

60 games ~ that's awesome. Shame that the league has a waiting list as everyone should have access to the fun of those games. Again, glad to know your kids did well and did not endure injury.

And yes, roller hockey can lead to ice hockey success. Despite all odds, Joe & Brian Mullen are proof of that:

https://www.nhl.com/news/mullen-brother ... l/c-644854

Don't know if roller/inline hockey has been considered for the Olympics but it sure is worth considering for the next one.

DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

60 games between the two of them Brook....then the playoffs and all star game on top of that. The sibling discount got you down to $150. My oldest was on the waiting list to get into the league. Once he was in the brother is guaranteed a spot. I would guess the league has about 400-500 players between the 3 divisions.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The sibling discount got you down to $150.

The shame is that it is not available for free as part of their school's curriculum.

European roller hockey ~ no helmets, quad skates, ball, and a caman like stick:

European inline hockey ~ helmets, single line skate, puck, long ice hockey style stick:

In roller, checking is strictly prohibited. I understand some Euro leagues allow checking in inline. By the way, I forgot that roller was briefly allowed in the 1992 Olympic games. This is understandable since both brands of the sport are very popular in Northern Spain (also Portugal, France, and Italy) and the games were played in Barcelona.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Nigel’s back!

Efff them Leafs. Can’t wait to see JT choke in Toronto.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

@DDT ~

Attended an inline hockey match where one team was comprised of big hulking players vs a team of half pints. The latter won the match in a landslide. This even though one of the hulks slugged an opponent and was given a stern warning by the ref. That's how the game is - a skill sport, no checking, no slugging, just win on skillful play. No wonder why the runts beat the sluggers.
Last edited by Brooklyn on Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

DD-Tech wrote:Nigel’s back!

Efff them Leafs. Can’t wait to see JT choke in Toronto.
Laxpower wanted to demote me to the minors in Utica but fortunately I have a good agent!

In case you missed it (AND WHO DIDN'T at 2:30 in the morning) B's over Flames 4-3 in a SO in China exhibition. Yawn...
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

JVR has returned to the FlyBoys...they're looking like they may have a couple of good-looking lines this season...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Dis I like JVR... but I sure hate the flyers! LOL
You guys have the Islanders tomorrow in the preseason opener? I can’t wait for the season to get rolling!

Nigel. I was just watching that game with no sound as I was working on a project here in the house. I was wondering where they were playing! That lighting looked horrible!
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

dislaxxic wrote:JVR has returned to the FlyBoys...they're looking like they may have a couple of good-looking lines this season...

No goals for that high powered offense vs the lowly islanders today Dis!
:D
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

DD-Tech wrote:Nigel. I was just watching that game with no sound as I was working on a project here in the house. I was wondering where they were playing! That lighting looked horrible!
Game was played in China. They have a second exhibition w Flames in a few days over there. Half the team is in China, half the team is in US.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”