Dear Fanlax Experts - Help and advice thread.

General Chatter
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Re: Dear Fanlax Experts - Help and advice thread.

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

DMac wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:45 am Somehow I missed the whole bananna holder project, nicely done.
You could cut a piece, keeping the angle look going on, and glue it
to the bottom of the upper arm. Drill a hole in it and put a piece of
dowel in it....voi la, a hook!!

You'll have your poison ivy for about eleven days, don't care what
you put on it. Speaking from experience, got into a little myself
this year. Might have been when I was picking my incredibly tasty
morel mushroom (was worth it). Old school calamine lotion seemed
to relieve the itch about as good as anything.
i actually bought an L-shaped hook and screwed it in. pics coming.

i was going to stain it today and then share.

i had poison ivy about 4x over the years- same experience- a week and a half!
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

finished. if you look closely you can see the L-hook. also, stained this puppy:

(still have poison ivy)

There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Anyone purchased a new washing machine recently...any feedback would be appreciated?

My old Maytag of 22 years has just burnt out the (original) motor and the bottom is just too rusted. She's was a great machine, and thankfully I can read a wiring diagram and have fixed her multiple times over the years.

This Covid-19 thing and factories at sparse capacity has also put inventory in a bind. I made my rounds at the local appliance stores and Big box stores today......you'd never know anything was going on, stores are packed and traffic is definitely back to normal.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:13 pm Anyone purchased a new washing machine recently...any feedback would be appreciated?

My old Maytag of 22 years has just burnt out the (original) motor and the bottom is just too rusted. She's was a great machine, and thankfully I can read a wiring diagram and have fixed her multiple times over the years.

This Covid-19 thing and factories at sparse capacity has also put inventory in a bind. I made my rounds at the local appliance stores and Big box stores today......you'd never know anything was going on, stores are packed and traffic is definitely back to normal.
What kind of budget?

I am partial to front loaders (it has been maybe 10 years since my last purchase), but the front end cost is more there (mine was maybe $600 for a middle of the line Maytag). Use less water, and more gentle on your clothes.

I have a Consumer's Report membership, and the top 6 or so front loaders are all LGs. Best buys are LGWM3500CW ($810), LGWM3500CW ($720) and LG WM3700HWA ($850).

For top loading HE machines, best buys are LGWT7100CW ($600), and LGWT7060CW ($690).
DMac

Post by DMac »

You might be using one of these for awhile, youth.
Son just remodeled his kitchen, went out to buy a new fridge and stove. No luck, couldn't even order them.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:53 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:13 pm Anyone purchased a new washing machine recently...any feedback would be appreciated?

What kind of budget?

I am partial to front loaders (it has been maybe 10 years since my last purchase), but the front end cost is more there (mine was maybe $600 for a middle of the line Maytag). Use less water, and more gentle on your clothes.

I have a Consumer's Report membership, and the top 6 or so front loaders are all LGs. Best buys are LGWM3500CW ($810), LGWM3500CW ($720) and LG WM3700HWA ($850).

For top loading HE machines, best buys are LGWT7100CW ($600), and LGWT7060CW ($690).
Thanks Re, appreciate that. agree with the front loaders, just afraid to pull the trigger on those since you hear all the horror stories of leaking and mold build up in them. After I posted this yesterday, I went out to a few stores today and got a bit more educated.

Ended up with Maytag again. Got the MVWC565FW was rated in the top few on CR for HE, top loader w/agitator, and did not have all the danged push button electronics/settings.....wife said she wanted simple (kinda like me :lol: ). Found this guy in Annapolis that said never buy the new HE machines w/out the agitator, unless it's a front loader. Says they run longer, cost more in electricity, tend to accumulate mold and milder on the tops b/c they use so little water, and can stretch actually stretch the clothing....he's been in the appliance business for 20 years.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

I have had the issue with the moldy smell - I think that once it started, it was hard to get rid of.

So I pulled the thing apart and put in a new door gasket. Problem solved. And it has not come back in maybe three years because I don't use softener (which I think is the culprit) unlike my late wife, and I will occasionally run one of the packs of sanitizer through the machine (once or twice a year).
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

And, never, ever close the door to a front-loader except while actually washing. That means no delayed start, remove the clean laundry immediately after the cycle ends, and most important, don't simply close the door because you think it looks better.

Also, in our case, I wish I could remember to remove the detergent tray more often. If you don't have children and go a day or two between washes, I recommend you remove the tray in between washes. If you are running 2-3 loads a day, remove it every few weeks and use a brush to get the mildew before it starts.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DMac

Post by DMac »

So, when I went to the store the other day (yes, when I pushed the carts in), while roaming through the meat department I saw some one lb packs of ground bison marked down to $2.99, as the sell by date was the next day (I have no problem with that...take it home and freeze it). This stuff usually sells for $11-12/lb, so I grabbed three of them. Fried up a burger last night, little S&P and greek seasoning (really good stuff) and a slice of provolne. Can't say I was disappointed, burger was good enough, but I sure as hell wouldn't pay $11-12/lb for the stuff, didn't really think there was a whole lot of difference between that and regular good ol' ground beef. Any bison experts out there? Am I missing something here? I bought a couple of buffalo steaks not too long ago (same deal, marked down so why not give it a try) and felt pretty much the same way about that. Good enough but certainly nothing special...if I'm paying regular price I'd buy lamb over buffalo any day, I think it's a whole lot better and half (if not better) the price. Why would anyone pay the price for bison, what's the big deal there?
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

Big bison fan. Slightly more flavor, less fatty.
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I agree dmac. If you are a gung-ho calorie counter, fat watcher, and lean meat person, bison is will win...slightly. Otherwise that extra cash you save can go to dessert.
~Livy
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Bison has substantially less fat, saturated fat and thus fewer calories than beef while having more protein per ounce. People usually pay the premium out of health concerns.

You need to start looking for goat meat. Not kidding (haha). Leg of goat is great for roasting and you should be able to find cubed goat for a variety of stews and it’s not expensive. Some regular markets have goat, but you’ll surely find it at ethnic or halal markets. I recall reading that goat is the most common red meat in the world.
DMac

No goat, bison though.

Post by DMac »

Haven't found any goat (not suggesting I've looked for it) but I had everything in the house to make this stuff today. Substituted the bison for the beef (makes it a pretty high priced dish, eh?), threw in half a red pepper but pretty much followed her lead. Must say, it's awfully tasty, whole bunch of different flavors going on in that dish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7tIzwXh7ag

DMac's bison and veal bolognese.

Plated....never been a better setting.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

What's everyone's thoughts/opinions on major fixes vs getting a new car?

Old one has been paid off for a few years now.

2014 130k miles.
Transmission died.
Looking at $3500 for a rebuilt, $4K-$4500 for Jasper transmission.
Car's trade-in value (running) is about as much as the transmission ($4K). I assume significantly less, not running.
:lol:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:30 pm What's everyone's thoughts/opinions on major fixes vs getting a new car?

2014 130k miles.
Transmission died.
Car's trade-in value (running) is about as much as the transmission ($4K). I assume significantly less, not running.
Part of it depends on what model/maker of car you are talking about - is it a car that normally gets a much higher lifetime?

Actual cost of the tranny (less labor) is maybe $2-2.5K or so, so the resale with a busted transmission is well under half that $4K. I am going to swap in a rebuilt tranny into my daughters old RAV4 with ~170K miles, but the engine is in near perfect shape with new valve seals replaced as part of a recall. So I will spend the $2K and the car will be worth twice that.

Your situation is probably a tougher call.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Other factors too. What kind of shape is the rest of the car in, rotors, brakes, tires...that can run into a few bucks on top of the tranny cost. Is it a second car or the main horse? Thinking new or used when replacing? Trade it in and you'll still get something for it plus a tow to the dealership.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:19 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:30 pm What's everyone's thoughts/opinions on major fixes vs getting a new car?

2014 130k miles.
Transmission died.
Part of it depends on what model/maker of car you are talking about - is it a car that normally gets a much higher lifetime?

Actual cost of the tranny (less labor) is maybe $2-2.5K or so, so the resale with a busted transmission is well under half that $4K. I am going to swap in a rebuilt tranny into my daughters old RAV4 with ~170K miles, but the engine is in near perfect shape with new valve seals replaced as part of a recall. So I will spend the $2K and the car will be worth twice that.

Your situation is probably a tougher call.
Agree with Red, especially on the make/model...that matters. If you don't fix it, you are out the complete cost of any resale, since a car that wont run will likely get you nothing.....maybe a few hundred to take it off your hands. Then you just go all in on a new ride and use the 3-4k you'd had spent on a tranny to throw in the hopper for the new ride.

I feel for ya kramer, I hate dealing with broken down cars....fortunately I work on my own, but that sucks too....lotsa cussing and shredded knuckles.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Thank you everyone for the advice.

The mechanic I trust said everything else looks good on it. I generally do my own routine maintenance-oil brakes, filters and pads. But dropping a transmission is too much for me.

It’s the wife’s main ride and the whole fam kid carrier. So it will see a lot of use. Its not ideal, but I think I’m fine to spend the money for a replacement transmission if I can get $4K of use out of it. I know I’d probably be spending a lot more on a new-er ride.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Happy motoring.
Car repairs/buying are a pain in the asz pretty much any way you look at it.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: No goat, bison though.

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:51 pm Haven't found any goat (not suggesting I've looked for it) but I had everything in the house to make this stuff today. Substituted the bison for the beef (makes it a pretty high priced dish, eh?), threw in half a red pepper but pretty much followed her lead. Must say, it's awfully tasty, whole bunch of different flavors going on in that dish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7tIzwXh7ag

DMac's bison and veal bolognese.

Plated....never been a better setting.
Man you are insane! Look at that pack of tops!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”