Re: Bourbon

Post by AOD »

a fan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:47 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:21 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:05 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:22 am
Bart wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:59 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:12 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:09 pm Drink to your tastes, not the label.

Trust your tastebuds!

There is a lot of good stuff out there. And for the good or bad, much reputation is marketing.
This, x 100!

That's the wonderful thing....if you're into whiskey? There are many, many beautiful whiskies out there that are criminally underrated, inexpensive, and delicious on the American market. It's about what YOU like
Care to educate the less educated here?
You mean you'd like a list of easier to find, but delicious whiskey?
Absolutely!
+100!!!
Okay. But I can't help folks in VA----there's no telling what the heck they have in stock. Head to DC, and you'll find all of these, no problem.

-Evan Williams BIB
-Russell's Reserver 10 yo
-Old Grand Dad BIB
-Wild Turkey 101 as underrated as it gets
-Early Times BIB
-Four Roses Small Batch

Smaller Distilleries (a relative term). Anything from New Riff Distilling. Or Bardstown Bourbon.
That's a strong list, a fan. But after all, you should know. I might add a couple that have gained popularity but in my part of NJ are still relative bargains. Elijah Craig SB can be found in any store here and generally under $30. For those that prefer a wheated, Larceny also is widely available and always under $30. Not so long ago, I was more likely to find CEHT SB (and under $40) than Buffalo Trace. Now both are just holes on the shelf.

VABC stores have a strong selection generally. Everyone has EW BIB (not so in NJ). Ask at the counter when they expect the stuff that flies off the shelf and they'll know.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Tonight’s crack and first go around is Longbranch. The is the Matthew McConaughey venture with WT. I have to say, as a WT fan, it is true to the WT brand, and with its distinguishing mesquite profile, it subtly hits without losing the WT profile. The mesquite pick uphappens post swallow and IMO, can be likened to burntends or that char on a ribeye.

This was tasted neat and relaxed for 15 minutes prior. As a mid $30 bottle and readily available, it’s worth a shot for a little different variation of WT and pairing with some down home cooking on the grille.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

a fan wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:13 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:33 am
a fan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:24 pm
holmes435 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:16 pm

I will say the craziest thing was going to a Kentucky Derby party at a neighbor's house (most of the locals go to the Oaks the day before). When "My Old Kentucky Home" started playing before the race, the whole place went quiet, everyone stood up and started singing. Was so strange to see but a fun tradition. I nearly drowned in Mint Juleps.
It's a wonderful part of our country. Great people. Great food. I look forward to trips to Louisville with relish!
Sneaky underrated town. The fourth street area can be fun, slugger museum by river is cool and that highlands neighborhood near Bellarmine is cool (Jack Frys is a great restaurant).
My fellow distillers ALWAYS head to Jack Fry every single time we're in town. It's the one thing we HAVE to do.

So good.
Hard to beat Jack Fry's.

My favorite ice cream in the world is Bourbon Ball Ice Cream from the Comfy Cow if you get back there next summer https://www.thecomfycow.com/

- Coal's Pizza has some awesome pies - https://www.coalsartisanpizza.com/
- Swizzle 25 (think it was named something else back then) has good views & good food at least a while back.
- Porcini's is pretty solid, plus you get the Pitino story.
- Ollie's Trolley is fun - one of the last of the chain for some good greasy burgers.
- Dizzy Whizz is another one you kinda have to get just because.
- Le Moo is also great for steaks and one of the better brunches in the area.
- Holy Grale is good beer & german food spot that's been on a few shows
- Butchertown Grocery is another highly rated spot.

There was a lot of great food when I was there, but I'm sure a lot of it has changed, especially through COVID.
ggait

Post by ggait »

But for some reason I prefer Wild Turkey in my Manhattan's to the chagrin of all around me.
WT 101 in my Manhattans as well. Seems to have as much/more spice as something like Rittenhouse Rye. So it holds up well against the other ingredients. The other bourbon I like for Manhattans is Old Forester 100.

For sipping, I go wheater -- Larceny, Makers 46 or Old Fitz.

James Carville is a Pappy guy. He didn't have any an election night (video at 0:50), but did pour himself about 0.25 of an ounce on camera a couple nights later when the election was called for Joe.

Carville made a reference to the bottle of bourbon seen on a table behind him, a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve, a highly-sought-after brand that is regarded as one of the finest bourbons in the world. “I think I’ll be able to crack it open, maybe not tonight as I hoped, but I will crack that little puppy open before this is over.”

After discussing some of the state results so far, Williams again turned the conversation to the bourbon. “I’m duty bound to ask if the bottle behind you started the night full.” “Well, no. That’s stuff is about $200 an ounce, and I parsed it out pretty good, so I’ll be — Uncle Pappy, he’s not coming out until I’m sure, but right now I feel good,”

https://fingers.substack.com/p/200-an-o ... l-not-fine
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
a fan

Post by a fan »

For those looking for smaller Bourbons, here's a nice piece on Colorado Bourbons.

I think you'll all be able to find Laws and Breckenridge Whiskey on the East Coast.

https://uproxx.com/life/best-whiskey-from-colorado/
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Have had the Tin Cup Rye, and finished a few bottles of their standard whiskey. Like how they cap it with an aluminum shot you can re use.

Still working on a local store to get your new release stocked.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

a fan wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:18 pm For those looking for smaller Bourbons, here's a nice piece on Colorado Bourbons.

I think you'll all be able to find Laws and Breckenridge Whiskey on the East Coast.

+1 thanks for the leads!

Anyone try Corsairs? Out of TN?

I bought a bottle of their Triple Smoke to give as a gift a coupole years ago, and ended up cracking it in a moment of need...

:lol:

Didn't like it at first as I was just blindly expecting a more traditional American whiskey and it was closer to a scotch with the peat smoked barley.

Well, the more I sipped it, the more it grew on me. Now the bottle's gone and it's tough to find up my way.

:cry:

Highly recommend if any Scotch fans want a new Whiskey and can find it. It's a nice crossover.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:58 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:18 pm For those looking for smaller Bourbons, here's a nice piece on Colorado Bourbons.

+1 thanks for the leads!

I bought a bottle of their Triple Smoke to give as a gift a coupole years ago, and ended up cracking it in a moment of need...

Didn't like it at first as I was just blindly expecting a more traditional American whiskey and it was closer to a scotch with the peat smoked barley.

Well, the more I sipped it, the more it grew on me. Now the bottle's gone and it's tough to find up my way.

Highly recommend if any Scotch fans want a new Whiskey and can find it. It's a nice crossover.
Never heard of it, will add to the list do some searching. Thanks.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Sitting by the outdoor fire, sipping some bourbon and enjoying cigar, stumbled on this....perfect chill music.

Vibes like this in The Leopold rickhouse or malting room might add some secret notes. :D

~Livy
Bart

Post by Bart »

a fan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:47 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:21 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:05 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:22 am
Bart wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:59 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:12 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:09 pm Drink to your tastes, not the label.

Trust your tastebuds!

There is a lot of good stuff out there. And for the good or bad, much reputation is marketing.
This, x 100!

That's the wonderful thing....if you're into whiskey? There are many, many beautiful whiskies out there that are criminally underrated, inexpensive, and delicious on the American market. It's about what YOU like
Care to educate the less educated here?
You mean you'd like a list of easier to find, but delicious whiskey?
Absolutely!
+100!!!
Okay. But I can't help folks in VA----there's no telling what the heck they have in stock. Head to DC, and you'll find all of these, no problem.

-Evan Williams BIB
-Russell's Reserver 10 yo
-Old Grand Dad BIB
-Wild Turkey 101 as underrated as it gets
-Early Times BIB
-Four Roses Small Batch

Smaller Distilleries (a relative term). Anything from New Riff Distilling. Or Bardstown Bourbon.
A bit down through the list..............I am quite enjoying the wild turkey 101.
DMac

Post by DMac »

This is hilarious (to me). Yes sir, so goes it with alcohol, one must "acquire" a taste for it.
When I try to acquire a taste for it (liquor) I get a flaming piece of barbed wire going down
my throat sensation. Glad all you boys enjoy it but it aint for me. The cops not showing up
when I don't drink it is an added plus for me too.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:37 am

This is hilarious (to me). Yes sir, so goes it with alcohol, one must "acquire" a taste for it.
When I try to acquire a taste for it (liquor) I get a flaming piece of barbed wire going down
my throat sensation. Glad all you boys enjoy it but it aint for me. The cops not showing up
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:37 am

Mac,
Aren't you an afficionado of the green stuff?
See, that's an area I've stayed away from.
So as I see it, everyone has their favorite "flavor!"
DMac

Post by DMac »

1. I guess you could say that, so yes.
2. Completely agree, whatever tastes good/agrees with one is fine by me.
Some prefer chocolate ice cream, some vanilla. As for me, I'd go with pistachio.
Must be the green, eh? :mrgreen:
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:48 pm 1. I guess you could say that, so yes.
2. Completely agree, whatever tastes good/agrees with one is fine by me.
Some prefer chocolate ice cream, some vanilla. As for me, I'd go with pistachio.
Must be the green, eh? :mrgreen:
DMac,

Nothing wrong with a little green to keep you lean!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JoeMauer89!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Performed a little homemade vatting this week of OGD114 and Disaronno....4:1. I know this often done 1:1 and called a Godfather cocktail and typically done with a scotch but I have to admit it was quite tasty. Nose was mostly the Disaronno, nice legs and viscosity, creamy sweet palate with a some burn, and after taste was sweet with spices. Not a bad sipping vat.
~Livy
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

My go-to Bourbon is Maker's 46, but after the Army/Navy game today I needed something stronger so it was Maker's Mark 101. (I'm a Maker's Mark Ambassador, just picked up My label bottles a few weeks ago in Loretto)...

Navy football: It's why I drink

:P
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:12 pm Performed a little homemade vatting this week of OGD114 and Disaronno....4:1. I know this often done 1:1 and called a Godfather cocktail and typically done with a scotch but I have to admit it was quite tasty. Nose was mostly the Disaronno, nice legs and viscosity, creamy sweet palate with a some burn, and after taste was sweet with spices. Not a bad sipping vat.
Interesting. What did you vat it in?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:28 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:12 pm Performed a little homemade vatting this week of OGD114 and Disaronno....4:1. I know this often done 1:1 and called a Godfather cocktail and typically done with a scotch but I have to admit it was quite tasty. Nose was mostly the Disaronno, nice legs and viscosity, creamy sweet palate with a some burn, and after taste was sweet with spices. Not a bad sipping vat.
Interesting. What did you vat it in?
Just an empty bottle.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”