Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
ohmilax34

Food thread - All things food-related

Post by ohmilax34 »

Somehow this came up on my twitter timeline. A bad review of Brooklyn's Peter Luger Steakhouse. I've never been there, but I figured some here have. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/dini ... auddevgate

I cooked a 2lb skinless pork belly Monday night to have for dinner yesterday. I used the technique that this website claims is from Momofuku in NYC. I then crisped slices of it in a pan yesterday to make sliders. It was very good and a good texture. https://glebekitchen.com/momofuku-pork-belly/
Brooklyn

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by Brooklyn »

actually, we had a gourmet thread before:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=789

for some reason, folks here no longer post on it - dunno why but mebbe they will post on this one
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:18 am Somehow this came up on my twitter timeline. A bad review of Brooklyn's Peter Luger Steakhouse. I've never been there, but I figured some here have. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/dini ... auddevgate

I cooked a 2lb skinless pork belly Monday night to have for dinner yesterday. I used the technique that this website claims is from Momofuku in NYC. I then crisped slices of it in a pan yesterday to make sliders. It was very good and a good texture. https://glebekitchen.com/momofuku-pork-belly/
Been to Lugar's many times........it's like the Union Oyster house in Boston......yuck........whom ever peer reviewed this place favorably must have been paid really, really well. Better off heading to Costco and buying FOUR rib eyes for the price of one at Peters. Drinks are bad too.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I think AVA sells to both Lugers and Costco around my parts.

Frank's Steaks Rockville Centre and West Side Steakhouse on 10th at 43rd are my go to steakhouses.

Smith & Wollensky, Capital Grille and Morton's if I have to go franchise when traveling.

Ed's in Great Falls MT is probably best joint I have ever dined at from drinks to dessert.

Ruth Chris tried 3 NY Strips on me one night in Indiana and each one had a thick tendon and ligament going through them. I am the grandson of an Italian Prime Meat butcher so no getting past this. Wound up with an expensive Port and cigar from manager with meal on cuff. Tipped bartender a Benjamin since it was not his fault.
The parent, not the coach.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I love cooking shows, but not current cooking competition shows or travel sows. I love to learn techniques. Jamie Oliver's Jamie At Home is fantastic. He uses so many different techniques and the ingredients are beautiful. Here's a full episode of him cooking squash. These all look amazing.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

hadn't made one of these in a while:

viewtopic.php?p=22576#p22576

Just took it out of the oven and the smell is Heavenly! I can hardly wait for tomorrow morning so that I can have a chunk with my morning coffee. :D
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

dinner tonight - well seasoned roast pork shoulder:

mmm, mmm, GOOD!

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Jersey rocker Jon Bon Jovi and his wife opened the newest JBJ Soul Kitchen — the first on a college campus. The pay-it-forward restaurant aims to combat the food insecurity which can haunt one in three college students.

https://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/j ... rs-newark/

https://people.com/food/jon-bon-jovi-co ... ge-campus/

Now those kids won't have to be living on a prayer. :D

DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

What’s the go-to Super bowl eats?

I bring the homemade chili and wings.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ Nice!

I'm prepping my chicken marinade right now. :D

richard

Post by richard »

In my book KC wins for food. Those brisket ends look great.
SF not so much, cream of crab in a bread bowl??? There's gotta be something better than that.
Anchor Steam is the better beer though.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gonna make up a bowl of this stuff. Looks pretty tasty, got all the stuff, pretty simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQxaT07uB7A&t=218s
Still gotta have pizza and wings though...got those too. :D
This could be a really good game..Chiefs-Niners, good match up.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

richard wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:56 pm In my book KC wins for food. Those brisket ends look great.
SF not so much, cream of crab in a bread bowl??? There's gotta be something better than that.
Anchor Steam is the better beer though.

Been to Arthur Bryant's (good food but rude staff) and Stroud's in KC. Never been to California but I've heard SF has restaurants that match NYC for quality cuisine.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, if you find yourself hanging around the house a little more than usual these days and you feel like making something that I don't think people have too often, try this recipe. I've made it a couple of times and must say, it's just delicious....simple to make too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSxlTTwBJ9M&t=202s
I go with some home made spatzle (fried to golden brown) and will throw some fresh mushrooms in there too, but if you do it just the way she says to it's all good. Gonna make some later on today.
Enjoy.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Dmac- i love spaetzle! i most recently made kasespaetzle (cheese), with some wurst and linsel (lentils), and a schweinshaxe (pork knuckle). and rotkohlsalat (red cabbage salad).

did you buy a spaetzle tool, or did you use a strainer?

also- i make a habit of adding shiitake mushrooms to nearly every dish i make.

it's a great time to revive this thread considering the environment. tonight i made hawaiian food- loco moco and huli huli chicken. came out great. added shiitake!!!

There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I make it old school way, Chairman, kinda like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6Ga9hMm4Y
I don't have one of those boards but use a plastic cutting board which works like a champ for me. I don't go nearly as fast as this ol' gal either but I've done it a whole lot of times and have a pretty efficient method. Also make each noodle a whole lot thicker/meatier, I think they're better that way. Flipped around in a frying pan with butter til golden brown....c'mon! Just had some with the Swedish meatballs, too good.
All the above sounds delish!
ChairmanOfTheBoard

ive seen that exact video many times... tried that technique once, figured no other normal person can do it!

impressive though. :D
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
DMac

Post by DMac »

My mom could do that, had one of those boards. Germans seem to be in a race when they're making the stuff. When I watch those videos they seem to make the whole deal look harder than it is too. I don't dip the board into the water and all that, keep the knife (that's what I use, a big knife, backside of the blade) plenty wet, dip it with every stroke. You can work with that dough and scrape it off pretty easily...gotta keep the knife wet and you're good.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

made mushroom-lentil burgers tonight. amazing! https://tasty.co/recipe/mushroom-lentil-burger-fries

i modified the recipe a bit (i always do) but these really came out great. because of the pandemic, ill be dropping in here often!
ChairmanOfTheBoard

made a malaysian street food called murtabak- came out ok- it's a lot of work, especially to make the dough:

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”