College entrance cheating scam

General Chatter
SCLaxAttack

Re: College entrance cheating scam

Post by SCLaxAttack »

And politics has nothing to do with it. D, R, or donating to both, these people just gave to whomever they thought was in their best interest.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c88 ... d7661ed2fb
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

thatsmell wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:29 am What your crtoon doesnt realize is it's not only the white right that's being denied admission and complaining about this. Its a whole slew of people.
More of a reason why college is a racket and completely unnecessary.
I've said it before. In the big picture, it doesn't really matter where you go to school or graduate from.
A college degree is a college degree.

The delusional white right complains about AA the most by selectively pointing the finger at blacks even though FAR more elitist types are beneficiaries of that program. But yes, the college industry is largely a racket and many should be closed down especially at the graduate level. Just imagine any other industry with a $ 1.5 trillion deficit - it would be closed down immediately and permanently.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:38 am
thatsmell wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:29 am What your crtoon doesnt realize is it's not only the white right that's being denied admission and complaining about this. Its a whole slew of people.
I've said it before. In the big picture, it doesn't really matter where you go to school or graduate from.

The delusional white right complains about AA the most by selectively pointing the finger at blacks even though FAR more elitist types are beneficiaries of that program. But yes, the college industry is largely a racket and many should be closed down especially at the graduate level. Just imagine any other industry with a $ 1.5 trillion deficit - it would be closed down immediately and permanently.
You have any data points?
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

thatsmell wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:54 am

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/college- ... 0ddae6f19c
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... ndictment/

You will find plenty there.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

HooDat

Post by HooDat »

thatsmell wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:29 am What your cartoon doesn't realize is it's not only the white right that's being denied admission and complaining about this. Its a whole slew of people.
There are studies that show that attending an elite college has no bearing on future success, but that admission does!

Outcomes (which I assume are measured in terms of economics and reaching certain levels within a career path hierarchy) are no different for the kids who obtain acceptance at elite schools but choose to attend "less elite" schools and the ones who go to the elite schools.

What does that mean? It means being smart and driven enough to get into Hahvard is all it takes to succeed in life - what they teach you when you get there is pointless.

The "shine" of an elite school is pure BS.It is a lie that is propagated by those who attend those schools (overly represented in the media) and the US News and World Report rankings (oh, how funny, again the media "elite"....)
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

i agree and think that there could be some value in finding the underserved, "blue collar", scrappy fighter that didnt have the advantages. they could be better off in the long run. problem is finding those folks.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
DMac

Post by DMac »

HooDat wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:01 pm
thatsmell wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:29 am What your cartoon doesn't realize is it's not only the white right that's being denied admission and complaining about this. Its a whole slew of people.
There are studies that show that attending an elite college has no bearing on future success, but that admission does!

Outcomes (which I assume are measured in terms of economics and reaching certain levels within a career path hierarchy) are no different for the kids who obtain acceptance at elite schools but choose to attend "less elite" schools and the ones who go to the elite schools.

What does that mean? It means being smart and driven enough to get into Hahvard is all it takes to succeed in life - what they teach you when you get there is pointless.

The "shine" of an elite school is pure BS.It is a lie that is propagated by those who attend those schools (overly represented in the media) and the US News and World Report rankings (oh, how funny, again the media "elite"....)
HARUMPH, HARUMPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HodDat hit dat nail on the head.
Dman good to see you back, Hoo.
a fan

Post by a fan »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:47 am “Traveling in Europe to figure out their life” wouldn’t fly. Needing to figure out their life is a sign of weakness that reflects poorly on the kid but more importantly for these sorts of parents that have done this, on them. Those 1000s of things you say are socially acceptable are socially acceptable to you, not them.
Did you see the linked YouTube video? If that young lady's parents aren't embarrassed by her YouTube channel, anything's game for what's socially acceptable. If I'm in that country club locker room, and her dad brags about her getting into USC, I'm not believing she got accepted there without him donating at least two buildings, if not three. How stupid are the .01% that they would think that someone who is clearly an idiot, would get into USC, Yale, Stanford, etc. on merit and not a payoff.

Entrepreneurship isn't socially acceptable for the .01%?? I don't believe you. But maybe we run in different circles! :lol: ;)

Again, none of this makes sense.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:59 am
thatsmell wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:54 am

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/college- ... 0ddae6f19c
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... ndictment/

You will find plenty there.
Esquire :twisted:

Esquire is a POS publication.....always has been. This....left no doubt.

Here ya go Brookie....from the "other" pretend liberal source.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/ ... 07866.html

F esquire. bunch of punks
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Kids, Don’t Become Success Robots

"Tennessee Tech is an amazing school, and nobody breaks the law to get admitted."
I believe a lot of parents do all this not only so their children will do well but so they will look good.

They are status monkeys creating success robots.

Which in one way is odd. Their family has already arrived! But there is something sick about America that no matter how much success you have it’s not enough, you must have more. And everyone must know you have it.

An apparently laudable goal becomes an extreme competition.
In time I concluded they’d been trained to be shallow, encouraged to see others as commodities. They didn’t think great work would be rewarded, they thought great connections were. And it was what they’d implicitly been promised by the school: Get in here and you can network with the cream of the crop, you’ll rise to the top with them.

Here is a school that is an antidote to that. Three years ago I went to a smallish school that enrolls mostly students who are the first in their families to go to college. It was Tennessee Technological University in Cookeville. A lot of the kids are local, a racial and ethnic mix, immigrants and children of immigrants. They were so mature—gracious, welcoming, quick with smart questions on presidents and policy. At a reception I complimented a young woman on her pretty cocktail dress. She smiled and said, “I got it from the clothes closet.” I shook my head. The Clothes Closet, she explained, is where students go to get something to wear to a job interview or an event like this one. People contribute what they’ve got, the students can always put something nice together. In time they contribute clothes too.
I came away from Tennessee Tech thinking what I always think when I see such schools: We’re going to be OK.

And now, because you’d be lost without it, my advice to students still considering college in the year 2019. Avoid elite universities if you can; they’re too often indoctrination mills anyway. Aim at smaller, second-tier colleges, places of low-key harmony, religiously affiliated when possible—and get a real education. Every school has a library. Every library has books. That’s what you need.

You’ll be with a better class of people—harder-working, less cynical, more earnest. First-generation college students who are excited to be there and committed to study. Immigrants who feel grateful to be there. Home-schooled kids with self-possession and dignity, who see the dignity in others.

Do not network. Make friends. Learn about the lives of others.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Kids, Don’t Become Success Robots
(Peggy Noonan, WSJ)

"Tennessee Tech is an amazing school, and nobody breaks the law to get admitted."
I believe a lot of parents do all this not only so their children will do well but so they will look good.

They are status monkeys creating success robots.

Which in one way is odd. Their family has already arrived! But there is something sick about America that no matter how much success you have it’s not enough, you must have more. And everyone must know you have it.

An apparently laudable goal becomes an extreme competition.
In time I concluded they’d been trained to be shallow, encouraged to see others as commodities. They didn’t think great work would be rewarded, they thought great connections were. And it was what they’d implicitly been promised by the school: Get in here and you can network with the cream of the crop, you’ll rise to the top with them.

Here is a school that is an antidote to that. Three years ago I went to a smallish school that enrolls mostly students who are the first in their families to go to college. It was Tennessee Technological University in Cookeville. A lot of the kids are local, a racial and ethnic mix, immigrants and children of immigrants. They were so mature—gracious, welcoming, quick with smart questions on presidents and policy. At a reception I complimented a young woman on her pretty cocktail dress. She smiled and said, “I got it from the clothes closet.” I shook my head. The Clothes Closet, she explained, is where students go to get something to wear to a job interview or an event like this one. People contribute what they’ve got, the students can always put something nice together. In time they contribute clothes too.
I came away from Tennessee Tech thinking what I always think when I see such schools: We’re going to be OK.

And now, because you’d be lost without it, my advice to students still considering college in the year 2019. Avoid elite universities if you can; they’re too often indoctrination mills anyway. Aim at smaller, second-tier colleges, places of low-key harmony, religiously affiliated when possible—and get a real education. Every school has a library. Every library has books. That’s what you need.

You’ll be with a better class of people—harder-working, less cynical, more earnest. First-generation college students who are excited to be there and committed to study. Immigrants who feel grateful to be there. Home-schooled kids with self-possession and dignity, who see the dignity in others.

Do not network. Make friends. Learn about the lives of others.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:18 pm

Esquire :twisted:

Esquire is a POS publication.....always has been. This....left no doubt.

F esquire. bunch of punks

Huh? Esquire which gave a platform to right wing hero William F Buckley and which has won more awards than any other magazine?? World's sexist gal, good fotos, fiction, etc. all good stuff, I'm sure.

seriously?

Post by seriously? »

$500 Billion lawsuit by parents and kids who didn't get in? What??

The only kid who can sue is the one who was being courted by the coach and then passed over. In total, maybe 750 athletes.

And I am sure a kid who didn't get into Yale got into someplace else and has blazed successful path for themselves.

Lawyers eager to sue colleges are a new form of ambulance chasers.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

It is the new "identity lawsuit" era, fits right in with "identity politics" .
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

seriously? wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:45 pm $500 Billion lawsuit by parents and kids who didn't get in? What??

The only kid who can sue is the one who was being courted by the coach and then passed over. In total, maybe 750 athletes.

And I am sure a kid who didn't get into Yale got into someplace else and has blazed successful path for themselves.

Lawyers eager to sue colleges are a new form of ambulance chasers.
Sounds like another case for Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe... :lol:
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”