World Soccer

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: World Soccer

Post by Brooklyn »

Netherlands > Japan 2-1

Last minute goal seals the victory for the Dutch. Very intense and superbly well played game by both sides. VAR confirmed a last minute hand ball call which warranted a PK. Did not quite appear that the call was justified to me but that's how the officials saw it.

Looks like it's a USA and all Euro from hereon.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:48 pm I dunno. I think Dunn is one of the best at her position on the field. In 2019, there's no such thing as a left beck. There are left middies who are particularly good at D. i.e. Part of the job criteria for being a wing back is getting forward. D comes first (usually) but getting forward is important and... dunn does both well.

US's first three games were not helpful. Hopefully today's wake-up call will humble them enough to show up vs. France with a different mental attitude.
I don't see our girls beating France. Our team is getting by on training, fitness and athleticism but the world is catching up. The women are being impacted like the men on the club soccer circuit. Troubling times ahead. I love French football...on the men and women's side.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:22 pm

I don't see our girls beating France. Our team is getting by on training, fitness and athleticism but the world is catching up. The women are being impacted like the men on the club soccer circuit. Troubling times ahead. I love French football...on the men and women's side.

Amazing when you consider that France was always viewed as a rugby super power and how it has progressed as a football power. If anything, it illustrates how far and how soon a country can emerge as a contender/world champ in a sport if the effort to strengthen it was socialized as these Euro nations do.

Remember the great French teams of the mid 1980s, the Magic Square of Michel Platini, Jean Tigana, Luis Fernandez, and Alain Giresse? Possibly the greatest midfield of all time. Surprisingly, they failed to win the World Cup despite the great coaching of Henri Michel. But that great Argentina team was not to be denied the Cup. What a time that was for soccer fans in those days!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:44 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:22 pm

Amazing when you consider that France was always viewed as a rugby super power and how it has progressed as a football power. If anything, it illustrates how far and how soon a country can emerge as a contender/world champ in a sport if the effort to strengthen it was socialized as these Euro nations do.

Remember the great French teams of the mid 1980s, the Magic Square of Michel Platini, Jean Tigana, Luis Fernandez, and Alain Giresse? Possibly the greatest midfield of all time. Surprisingly, they failed to win the World Cup despite the great coaching of Henri Michel. But that great Argentina team was not to be denied the Cup. What a time that was for soccer fans in those days!
We just go about it the wrong way here. I had fun watching kids play soccer on what was basically basketball courts doubling as soccer courts. Kids were lined up for next like players do for basketball here....we get so little out of the resources we have here. It's crazy.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:51 pm

We just go about it the wrong way here. I had fun watching kids play soccer on what was basically basketball courts doubling as soccer courts. Kids were lined up for next like players do for basketball here....we get so little out of the resources we have here. It's crazy.

The game you are referring to is called ''futsal'':

A fun game, indeed. While the playing dimensions of a basketball court are suitable for children, they are not so for adults, especially in the mens game. A hockey arena's dimensions would be more suitable. But hockey and futsal are both played in winter. This means arenas will not be available for the game. On that basis, new venues should be created for futsal just as they were overseas, esp in Europe and in Brazil where it is recognized as a good means of enhancing soccer skills.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:26 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:51 pm

The game you are referring to is called ''futsal'':

A fun game, indeed. While the playing dimensions of a basketball court are suitable for children, they are not so for adults, especially in the mens game. A hockey arena's dimensions would be more suitable. But hockey and futsal are both played in winter. This means arenas will not be available for the game. On that basis, new venues should be created for futsal just as they were overseas, esp in Europe and in Brazil where it is recognized as a good means of enhancing soccer skills.
I know Futsal well....el Fenomeno, Ronaldo, was discovered in Brazil playing Futsal...at his peak, nobody was better! There is a push for more Futsal here....we need more free play...less organized play.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:06 am

I know Futsal well....el Fenomeno, Ronaldo, was discovered in Brazil playing Futsal...at his peak, nobody was better! There is a push for more Futsal here....we need more free play...less organized play.

Ronaldinho plays futsal in his youth. He became a super star in this and in soccer later on. What awesome skills!

We definitely need more of this in the USA.

FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

When I was living in South America as a young adult, I played indoors two or three times a week (I'd played only outdoor soccer in the US). In that country, it is called "baby football," and kids, teenagers and adults play. I was in with a group of good, skilled South American players, and it led me to improve tremendously.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:29 am When I was living in South America as a young adult, I played indoors two or three times a week (I'd played only outdoor soccer in the US). In that country, it is called "baby football," and kids, teenagers and adults play. I was in with a group of good, skilled South American players, and it led me to improve tremendously.
Yep. My son’s club team trained on a gym floor in the winters. It was excellent training for touch and speed of play.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:29 am When I was living in South America as a young adult, I played indoors two or three times a week (I'd played only outdoor soccer in the US). In that country, it is called "baby football," and kids, teenagers and adults play. I was in with a group of good, skilled South American players, and it led me to improve tremendously.

Wow!

By contrast, when I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn, I tried to play soccer and stunk to high Heaven. I kept tripping over my feet and had a couple of pratfalls. A classmate of mine had it worse - he tripped over the ball, landed on his face, and busted his nose while playing on an asphalt surface. Poor guy - I still remember that sad day.

Good thing I played baseball and softball or I would have been in pieces!

FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

... good days, good times....
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Basketball courts are a good size for kids and adults and lots of kids (and adults) play on basketball courts, both indoor and outdoor, in the US. Also on hockey-like fields, etc. though these cost $. The US has tons of facilities. And tons of facilities that play with size 3 and futsol balls. The US plays a lot of soccer. #1 youth sport, etc. The days of people born in countries outside of the US who say, "Where I come from we..." and americans say, "Wow" are long gone. Unless you're old. The turning point was the NASL, the Cosmos. So the early 70s. And that was a long time ago. The biggest difference between other countries and the US re: soccer is that our soccer players aren't the biggest rock stars in the country. US also has football players, basketball, baseball, TV and movie actors, and... actual rock stars.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DMac

Post by DMac »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:24 am The biggest difference between other countries and the US re: soccer is that our soccer players aren't the biggest rock stars in the country. US also has football players, basketball, baseball, TV and movie actors, and... actual rock stars.
Which is kind of a way of saying a whole lot of Americans just don't like soccer. Go into a sports bar that has a hoops game, football game, baseball game, and soccer game on and see which game has the fewest people in front of that TV. To me, soccer is a game that offers a whole lot of running around with not much of anything happening. I watched the highlights of the USA-Spain game....2 penalty kicks from right in front of the goal for the USA, just riveting.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

DMac, I guess NYC is the exception: there are soccer-specific sports bars; and restaurants in my neighborhoods have footy (um, soccer) on the TV, the restaurants fill up, with patrons watching intently and cheering loudly.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Soccer doesn't have a lion's share of the US population's attention but there are over 300 million people in the US. Croatia just played in the World Cup Final and they have 4 million. That's just over 1% of the US population. The US market is unique. As for just a bunch of people running with not much going on, (1) Soccer's like a boxing match. There are times when the fighters are squaring up and not throwing punches, waiting for an opening while the opponent refuses to offer an opening. And then the fans boo and hiss and... they start opening up. But if you don't appreciate jabs and hooks and undercuts and everything besides knockouts, you won't enjoy the fight. and (2) The US-Spain game was not good. 2 PKs, the second PK was, to be kind, questionable, David vs. Goliath and Goliath wasn't playing well and the referee gave them the game. not great. And... It was one game. That was on Monday afternoon. That same night, Uruguay beat Chile 1-0 in the Copa America with this goal from Cavani. :) If you don't appreciate how skillful and difficult this goal was, then you may never appreciate soccer. The next day, Tuesday, 2 Womens World cup games, Italy beats China 2-0 and Netherlands beats Japan, 2-1. One good, one pretty darn good game. Yesterday, US beats Panama in a (relatively meaningless) Gold Cup game with this goal from Altidore. https://twitter.com/FOXSoccer/status/11 ... 0204253184 Bottomline, to each their own. As for me, I'll be enjoying the Women's WC Quarterfinal Norway-England game at 3 and the Brazil-Paraguay Copa America Quarterfinal tonight at 8:30. watch Brazil while, possibly, listening to the Dem Debate. Something like that.

One more thing. The Women's World Cup decides which country has the best Women's soccer team in the world. The Copa America decides which South American country's team is the best in South America. The Gold Cup decides which country is the best in North and Central America (and the Caribbean). That's unique. Basketball and other sports sort of have this. But nothing like soccer.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Sure, you can go into a sports bar here in Cuse and order youself an Air Gait brew and watch the game with a room full of lacrosse fans too. I just think across the board people in this country aren't all that crazy about soccer...and I mean absolutely no disrespect to the game or the soccer nuts out there.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:09 am DMac, I guess NYC is the exception: there are soccer-specific sports bars; and restaurants in my neighborhoods have footy (um, soccer) on the TV, the restaurants fill up, with patrons watching intently and cheering loudly.
This is absolutely not the case in NYC. NYC is one of the, if not the, most international cities in the world. NYC loves soccer. During the World Cup, it's not a question of finding a bar to watch a game. It's finding a Peruvian bar to watch the Peru game. And the place will be jumping. NYC loves soccer. Some of the best adult leagues around.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DMac wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:21 am... I just think across the board people in this country aren't all that crazy about soccer...
We've already covered this, DMac. Football and basketball get more marketshare in the US than soccer. Very good. Now, for what it's worth, don't be the guy who joins the FanLax Forum to discuss why he doesn't think lacrosse is so popular, doesn't think lacrosse is such a fun sport. Matter of fact, I saw a game where...

PS The most watched Superbowl drew 114 million people. This past World Cup final in 2018 had 1.1 Billion viewers. You can squint your eyes and pretend that soccer in america is like lacrosse in america but due to technology and otherwise, the world has become very small. so while lacrosse is small in america and even smaller in the world, soccer is small(er than football and basketball) in america and enormous in the world. Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, etc. aren't limited to Europe and South America. Soccer in the US changed with the NASL because we got to see soccer. Pele, Carlos Alberto, Beckenbauer, etc. Today, every kid has access to the greats. US Soccer is good and getting better. (While the Football fans shrug and say, Yeah but not as good as US football. We're #1! while literally no other country plays the sport. If Australians said, We're the best Aussie Rules team in the world. We're #1! americans would laugh. yet we can't see the same in ourselves. US Soccer matters. I get 5,000 times more pleasure out of the US (Boys who were born and bred in the US... with some exceptions) playing in the Quarterfinals of the World Cup than New England paying in the Superbowl. France are World Champions. New England is not. It's club ball. The moniker World Champions for football is ridiculous. Anyway...)
Caddy Day
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:21 am Sure, you can go into a sports bar here in Cuse and order youself an Air Gait brew and watch the game with a room full of lacrosse fans too. I just think across the board people in this country aren't all that crazy about soccer...and I mean absolutely no disrespect to the game or the soccer nuts out there.

In terms of participation, soccer ranks # 2 in USA:

''As of 2006, over 24 million Americans play soccer. There are 4.2 million players (2.5 million male and 1.7 million female) registered with U.S. Soccer.[32] As of 2012, thirty percent of American households contain someone playing soccer, a figure second only to baseball''

tv viewership:

''U.S. soccer fans also follow the U.S. national teams in international competition. The 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup Final drew a record 26.7 million viewers, greater than final games of the 2014 World Series or the 2015 NBA Finals, and the 2010 Men's World Cup final drew 26.5 million viewers.''

wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_in ... ted_States

A few weeks ago I watched a tv report about groups of USA soccer fans meeting in taverns (tried to find it but couldn't do so). They are large, loud, and highly energetic. Perhaps Syracuse doesn't have this type of following. But NYC, LA, Seattle, and the Twin Cities sure do. We could have had this in even larger amounts decades ago. Recall when we got crowds of 78,000 at Giants Stadium when Pele played. Too bad the NASL stunk up everything and the league closed down. Had they played their cards right, the league could still be around and at a premier league level generating billions in income. Instead of crowds of 19,000 fans we could have groups of 50,000+ per game. Sad that this never took place.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:29 am

This is absolutely not the case in NYC. NYC is one of the, if not the, most international cities in the world. NYC loves soccer. During the World Cup, it's not a question of finding a bar to watch a game. It's finding a Peruvian bar to watch the Peru game. And the place will be jumping. NYC loves soccer. Some of the best adult leagues around.

Here's one of the biggest reasons why NYC loves soccer:

https://www.hudsonriverblue.com/2018/1/ ... te-academy

https://ussoccerplayers.com/2011/04/soc ... -oval.html

The Metropolitan Oval!

I well remember attending Lane high school for a year back in the mid 60s when we did not have a football team. Soccer was the only game in that part of town during autumn and what a great team we had. Over the years I knew several NY'ers who did not follow American football because they loved soccer so much. Folks in the Big Apple really love their soccer.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”