For hockey fans...

General Chatter
DMac

Re: For hockey fans...

Post by DMac »

Nice, DD. Did they call you DD Studly back in those days?

This is me all dressed up for my travel hockey team back in the 50s, tie required for road games.
This is me and my brother getting ready for a road trip with the baseball travel team.
Actually, now that I think about it we never had to go too far to play ball.
Back into the travel team hockey season with the gson...the prodigy (he'll tell you he only plays cuz his mom makes him). Went to Buffalo for the week end a couple week ends ago...motel and the works (9 yr olds), going to the 1,000 Islands this week end (another motel week end) for another tournament. Several other games a couple of hours away at 8-9 a.m. Welcome to youth hockey...and oh, bring your 401K. This youth hockey thing (not restricted to) is absolutely nuts. Should call it Big Bass hockey, parents swallow the whole pitch hook, line, and sinker. I just don't get it and I'm awfully glad it wasn't as it is today when I was a kid when it comes to youth sports (both of us played three sports) it would have made me very uncomfortable to think my parents were paying that much for me to play ball. D-in-law (nothing about her I like) is all about it though, wouldn't take long to hear all about her being a hockey mom and how her son is going to get one of those hockey schollies if you ever met her (wouldn't recommend it). Son just sits back and lets 'em do their thing...probably better off that way. The whole show is pretty crazy all in all.
All that said, I wish I had been around hockey as a kid. Super cool game and not much question in my mind I'd have loved playing it. It's cool watching those kids play looks like a ton of fun....don't need all the expense that goes along with it though.
old salt

Post by old salt »

The documentary The Red Army, about the great Soviet & Russian national teams,
& their stars arduous journeys to the NHL. About hockey & the Cold War.
re-airs toninght (Sun 2/17, 8:30 - 10:30 est) on the NHL network.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

old salt wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:25 am The documentary The Red Army, about the great Soviet & Russian national teams,
& their stars arduous journeys to the NHL. About hockey & the Cold War.
re-airs toninght (Sun 2/17, 8:30 - 10:30 est) on the NHL network.
Thanks RR! Got it set to record.

If you have some time listen to this interview with Adrian Aucoin. The Spittin Chiclet guys have awesome interviews and I listen to this podcast religiously. Really funny stuff and some great NHL players on every week. Aucoin spends about 5 minutes talking about the Russians and Alex Mogilny who was one of the Red Army defectors. Great interview... he mentions “The Red Army” airing coming up on NHL network. The talk on the Russians starts at around 39 minute mark.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/spi ... 0429364301

Here it is in youtube:

Hey Dmac.. as you are getting sucked into hockey with “the prodigy” you should start listening to these Spittin Chiclet podcasts. Funny to hear the NHL stars talking about running around in the pee wee years with their dads and now they are doing the same thing with their own kids. Very entertaining!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Interesting videos on blacks and ice hockey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml6KZlU7zpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qct2j0vfc3g

However, this doesn't sound quite plausible to me as, years ago, I heard it was invented in Europe as a form of field hockey on ice. I have also come across other writings which suggest it was invented from lacrosse. Here is another set of views on its origin:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... s.1950911/

Interesting history just the same.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

DD-Tech wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:28 pm Uh oh! We got some passion at practice in St Louis! Monday blues! confused2
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrOBaLwnx7I ... 1i8chfg8cm

....since this fight in a Monday morning practice the last place pathetic Blues are 23-10-1 and are looking like a lock for the playoffs.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Caps Russian line gets the game winner in 3on3 OT vs da Rangers.
That's some fancy skating & passing. Nostrovia !
Caps come to LI on Fri.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

old salt wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:43 pm Caps Russian line gets the game winner in 3on3 OT vs da Rangers.
Caps come to LI on Fri.
I will look for those highlights!

For my birthday my wonderful wife got me some sweet seats for the Caps vs Isles on 3/1. Hoping the Barn is still standing as JT and the Maple Leafs will be there the night before. I am hoping to see a new sniper on the ice for the Isles as we get into the final hours of the trade deadline.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Oh well .:cry:. Blues lose to the Wild in 3on3 OT.
Unlike the Caps, the Blues don't skate ; they're big & they just grind.
Donato might have found a home in MN. Parise set up the winner.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

DD-Tech wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:04 pm
For my birthday my wonderful wife got me some sweet seats for the Caps vs Isles on 3/1. Hoping the Barn is still standing as JT and the Maple Leafs will be there the night before. I am hoping to see a new sniper on the ice for the Isles as we get into the final hours of the trade deadline.

Wonder if #91 JT got fitted for his yet?

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:43 pm Caps Russian line gets the game winner in 3on3 OT vs da Rangers.
Caps come to LI on Fri.

The Isles feel a hot breath on the back of their necks ? The Caps are on fire.
The Caps 5on5 vs Ottawa, looked like EMO. Always 1 pass ahead.
Should be a great game.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

old salt wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:00 pm
Caps come to LI on Fri.

The Isles feel a hot breath on the back of their necks ? The Caps are on fire.
The Caps 5on5 vs Ottawa, looked like EMO. Always 1 pass ahead.
Should be a great game.
My gut tells me the isles are in trouble. They needed more offense and couldn't put together the right package before the deadline. I think they may be in for a tough week. They struggled against Calgary last 2 games. Caps Friday night after the Toronto game will be a really tough back to back for them. We'll see if they can handle the heat. They are good but rely way too much on their D to win games right now. I'm nervous.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

I am hearing all fans are asked to come to The Barn in their pajamas tonight! :lol:

JT is in for a rough day!
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Did I say I was worried about our offense?

Well it woke up!

6-1 isles smoked the leafs tonight!

JT SUCKS!
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

The tribute was like no other!
Attachments
AA948E12-A94B-4F57-AA7F-80B465AA0EA5.jpeg
AA948E12-A94B-4F57-AA7F-80B465AA0EA5.jpeg (206.24 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Classic stuff DD-T!
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Surging Flyers get the win on the Island for the first time since 2013...4-1...sorry about that DD!

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

dislaxxic wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:43 pm Surging Flyers get the win on the Island for the first time since 2013...4-1...sorry about that DD!

Nice win Dis. How is Patrick's ear? or what is left of it... That was a tough shot to take like that and Clutterbuck has a hard wrister.

Isles can't find the net. They needed a goal scorer and couldn't pull the trigger. Will be trouble for them down the stretch.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Lotta dancing going on in Beantown.

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

DD-Tech wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:56 pmNice win Dis. How is Patrick's ear? or what is left of it... That was a tough shot to take like that and Clutterbuck has a hard wrister.
They say he got some stitches over his right ear. That WAS a nasty situation. Nice win for the Flyboys, but all-in-all, i'd rather be in the Isles skates at this point in the season...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”