Help Us Build FanLax

FanLax wouldn't be FanLax without you. For this reason and more, we value your feedback. Please let us know what you like, what you don't like, and what you would like to see improved.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Help Us Build FanLax

Post by admin »

We've automated the Team Schedules, Game Scores, Rankings, and "Best of"s. Players, coaches, and fans are now able to add teams as well as add a game and update a game score or add multiple games and update multiple game scores. (There's also the option of submitting a spreadsheet which we'll upload for you.)

From these schedules and scores, the system automatically creates Rankings as well as a list of the Best Games, Best Upsets, and Best Upcoming Games.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

So, how is the business plan going? I hope well.

I have been a fairly frequent visitor and contributor to the forums do I thought I would offer some feedback and ideas.

1. Polls get clicks. Maybe create polls in more areas (HS, D2/3)
2. Gear gets younger users. maybe create a forum on gear and let companies post links to new releases?
3. Create a forum where clubs and camps can post links. Admin can verify posters ahead of time.
4 referee forum?
5 query teams for a generic press release about the coming season and post them. Same for videos.
6 merchandise
7 sponsors
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

First, thank you for thinking of our financial well-being. Though not urgent, it is in the back of our minds.

Second, all good ideas. Polls, Gear, Clubs and Camps, Merch, Sponsors. Again, all good targets. And, of course, lacrosse equipment manufacturers. Also, we could do (Google) ads and...

Our goal and plan is to try to do this differently. We have several ideas including... Just offering this free service to the lacrosse community without the distractions of manufacturers, clubs, events, etc. selling their products and services. Like we're doing right now. But we'll see. Bottomline, we don't feel any urgency to turn FanLax into a, so to speak, business.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just as an FYI, before the season starts, we're playing around with Google Ads. We've avoided ads but... We're taking a look. Obviously we're open to the idea but we want to make sure that it's not at the expense of the aesthetics, experience, etc. of FanLax.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

admin wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:40 am Just as an FYI, before the season starts, we're playing around with Google Ads. We've avoided ads but... We're taking a look. Obviously we're open to the idea but we want to make sure that it's not at the expense of the aesthetics, experience, etc. of FanLax.
It will definitely mess with the experience and make it worse. Ads usually mess things up.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wlax, to be fair, it depends how we do the ads. i.e. It's not a black or white, no ads or all pages littered with ads situation. Currently, we have a small ad at the end of the posts on the website like this. (Nothing on the forum.) It's the off-season, it's an idea, and... Maybe.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

admin wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:14 pm Wlax, to be fair, it depends how we do the ads. i.e. It's not a black or white, no ads or all pages littered with ads situation. Currently, we have a small ad at the end of the posts on the website like this. (Nothing on the forum.) It's the off-season, it's an idea, and... Maybe.
Very true. This ad idea is great. Out of the way and not intrusive. Nothing worse than pop-ups. That's the kind of advertising that is disruptive. This is fine.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Posted this elsewhere but want to post it here as well. The technology exists and I think it may be a good or, at least, interesting idea.

In a different thread, someone was complaining about the commentators. Once, maybe twice, within this forum, I heard someones complaining about the commentators. If I could set-up the technology, what if, so to speak, we were the commentators? We don't need to follow the same model as a traditional commentating team. We could have 10 commentators with 2-3 doing most of the talking while 3-5 chime in regularly while many more just listen. Basically a mirror of how our forums work. It could be that we're watching the game while there'd be windows with the people who are "commentating" on the periphery of the screen. Or it could just be auditory, no video. Or some combination of both. I guess, up to the people joining the game. Anyway, knee jerk reaction, what do you think of this idea? Watching lacrosse games with other Forum Post-ers.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Just wanted to acknowledge the milestone of 3000 members passed recently. That says to me that folks are discovering what a great forum site this is. Good job admin(s) and anyone else who makes this site what it is. Long live FanLax!

I applaud your efforts and ongoing maintenance and upkeep. Take a bow, gents.

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Cletus wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:23 am Just wanted to acknowledge the milestone of 3000 members passed recently. That says to me that folks are discovering what a great forum site this is. Good job admin(s) and anyone else who makes this site what it is. Long live FanLax!

Yet 40% of the almost 300,000 posts are made by just 10 users. I would estimate that if you expanded the same user list to the Top 20 users in terms of posts likely would be north of 50% of the total. Not exactly wide participation.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Kismet wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:50 am
Cletus wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:23 am Just wanted to acknowledge the milestone of 3000 members passed recently. That says to me that folks are discovering what a great forum site this is. Good job admin(s) and anyone else who makes this site what it is. Long live FanLax!

Yet 40% of the almost 300,000 posts are made by just 10 users. I would estimate that if you expanded the same user list to the Top 20 users in terms of posts likely would be north of 50% of the total. Not exactly wide participation.
I'm just grateful for the site. There isn't another remotely similar as far as women's lacrosse is concerned, which is the primary reason I'm here.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:40 am
Kismet wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:50 am

I'm just grateful for the site. There isn't another remotely similar as far as women's lacrosse is concerned, which is the primary reason I'm here.
Just met three girls at a golf club pool yesterday in suburban Atlanta, one graduated and played at UF and another was a Senior at Furman. Tried to get my daughter to come meet them but she was nervous. At some point I need to learn the girls game because it makes no sense to me even though I love my daughters league refs because they stop and explain all the violations to the kids when they happen.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
OuttaNowhereWregget

Congratulations and thanks to Matnum and admin

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

FanLax stands at 3999 members at the moment but the numbers will roll over to 4000 any minute now. Just wanted to say congrats to Matnum and admin on doing a great job building and maintaining this great website and forum. Gents--thanks for all the day to day maintenance on the site to keep it humming along. I'm sure all the regulars appreciate being able to come here and write their thoughts down about what interests and inspires. Thanks to you two--we have a place to do that.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:05 am Image
I'm puzzled as to how the site Admin is unable to suss out the multiple identities being used by a poster to avoid penalty box time.

It's incredibly clear that these are the same people.

Is he using some sort of IP address disguise software?
I know it's possible to use freeware to do so, but it's also possible to identify that such is happening.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:34 am I'm puzzled as to how the site Admin is unable to suss out the multiple identities being used by a poster to avoid penalty box time.

I know it's possible to use freeware to do so, but it's also possible to identify that such is happening.
More than once, a post-er has accused another post-er of having more than one account. The post-er is incredibly sure. And Admin (and I) have checked for matching IP addresses and... The IP addresses don't match. The person may have a work and a home account. The person may actually be two different people. I don't know. But the IP addresses don't match.
Caddy Day
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:00 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:34 am I'm puzzled as to how the site Admin is unable to suss out the multiple identities being used by a poster to avoid penalty box time.

More than once, a post-er has accused another post-er of having more than one account. The post-er is incredibly sure. And Admin (and I) have checked for matching IP addresses and... The IP addresses don't match. The person may have a work and a home account. The person may actually be two different people. I don't know. But the IP addresses don't match.
And yes, the IP address can also actually be spoofed.
And a false email address can be provided.

But there are more sophisticated ways to actually identify the user, some available as freeware, I believe.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:42 pm

But there are more sophisticated ways to actually identify the user, some available as freeware, I believe.
Compare the language in the various posts from these two accounts - hard to imagine not the same person and also possibly a lame attempt to circumvent the increased penalties for multiple violations - this new account will start at one day and escalate where the next violation on the old account would accrue 6+ months

walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it likely IS still a duck. :oops:

You asked for feedback as the title of this thread - there it is.

Reminds me of an old adage ""If you can't afford a no answer, don't ask."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Kismet wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:46 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:42 pm

Compare the language in the various posts from these two accounts - hard to imagine not the same person and also possibly a lame attempt to circumvent the increased penalties for multiple violations - this new account will start at one day and escalate where the next violation on the old account would accrue 6+ months

walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it likely IS still a duck. :oops:

You asked for feedback as the title of this thread - there it is.

Reminds me of an old adage ""If you can't afford a no answer, don't ask."
correct, though he does try to pretend just a bit...but language is exactly the same.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

My suggestion is to report him/them to Admin... when they commit a foul. We currently don't have any rules about having more than one account. And I'm not sure that we want to. But having rules re: a post-er having two accounts and these two accounts are accumulating fouls, that's very different. Report them...
Caddy Day

Return to “FANLAX FEEDBACK”