Club/Rec Lax and COVID

Youth and Club Lacrosse
viper

Club/Rec Lax and COVID

Post by viper »

I am just curious to hear about personal experiences with club lacrosse since things (at least here in MD) restarted back in June/July. I have two young kids (boy/girl) each on a club team and my older boys coach club teams. We have practiced, participated in tournaments, attended try-outs, etc. To date, at least locally there hasn't seemed to be any issues (none reported at least) regarding "spreading events" from these activities. Different teams/tournaments vary in terms of precautions (from very little to a great deal) for COVID as well.

I did hear that many youth sports in Connecticut were recently suspended due to an increase there - buy here in MD things seem to be stable and for the moment going in the "right" direction despite the club/rec activities.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Club/Rec Lax and COVID

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Anyone here have any youth lacrosse contacts for the greater Atlanta area, preferably programs inside the perimeter (I285), for a 6yr old girl and 8yr boy? PM or respond here, whatever works. I've done some research and finding some, but mostly pretty far from where I live, so hoping to learn about more options potentially available and any other inside info.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
laxmom22

Post by laxmom22 »

Hi, Does anyone know if there are any youth leagues on the eastern shore of Virginia? I have a cousin with 8 year old twin boys that would love to have them start playing.
Basement Bias

Post by Basement Bias »

How does one get lacrosse started in an area that is oblivious to the sport? I'd love to see it as an option in my area in the future.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Basement Bias wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:18 pm How does one get lacrosse started in an area that is oblivious to the sport? I'd love to see it as an option in my area in the future.
Find your local Rec program that has football, hoops, cheerleading, wrestling, etc, and teach out to them.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Basement Bias

Post by Basement Bias »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:04 pm
Basement Bias wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:18 pm How does one get lacrosse started in an area that is oblivious to the sport? I'd love to see it as an option in my area in the future.
Find your local Rec program that has football, hoops, cheerleading, wrestling, etc, and teach out to them.
Everything is ran through the school systems here in NE/EC Indiana and NW/WC Ohio anymore. Only thing that isn't quite that way is youth baseball until middle school. Though those HS baseball coaches are starting to try & make summer ball in their small towns to mix teams. Heck I need to learn the game much better rule wise & strategy wise. I already coach youth football for one school in NE/EC Indiana and wrestling in NW/WC Ohio. I've been watching lacrosse since 04 or so and love watching it compared to baseball. Love to start the sport in the area for youth like we did for wrestling at the Ohio school. I'd love for our football players & wrestlers to add lacrosse in the spring/summer.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Basement Bias wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:57 pm
Everything is ran through the school systems here in NE/EC Indiana and NW/WC Ohio anymore. Only thing that isn't quite that way is youth baseball until middle school. Though those HS baseball coaches are starting to try & make summer ball in their small towns to mix teams. Heck I need to learn the game much better rule wise & strategy wise. I already coach youth football for one school in NE/EC Indiana and wrestling in NW/WC Ohio. I've been watching lacrosse since 04 or so and love watching it compared to baseball. Love to start the sport in the area for youth like we did for wrestling at the Ohio school. I'd love for our football players & wrestlers to add lacrosse in the spring/summer.
Very cool. Happy to see you giving back to the kids and community. I know nothing about Indiana, other than I wish I had access to the distillery Spirits of French Lick, so I could snag more bourbon offerings. 😂

Maybe you start a scoopers division for 4-5 y/o’s. Get the stick on their hand before baseball does…😉. At the age you can just do clinics inner squad scrimmages and see how it grows, plus you can learn alongside them. I’m sure some parents have interest.

Good Luck!!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:12 pm
Very cool. Happy to see you giving back to the kids and community. I know nothing about Indiana, other than I wish I had access to the distillery Spirits of French Lick, so I could snag more bourbon offerings. 😂

Maybe you start a scoopers division for 4-5 y/o’s. Get the stick on their hand before baseball does…😉. At the age you can just do clinics inner squad scrimmages and see how it grows, plus you can learn alongside them. I’m sure some parents have interest.

Good Luck!!
Good advice from youthathletics.

I'd assume that US Lacrosse has some youth support training programs? I know they do coach certification and I'd think they have all sorts of "getting started" for programs.

Just did a quick search for youth programs in Indiana and found quite a few, so that's also a path for support: https://www.usalacrosse.com/where-to-play

I used 100 mile radius for zip code: 47906, but can put in whatever zip code and radius to see what's closest. They may well be willing to help a new town get started.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

see comments above.
Basement Bias

Post by Basement Bias »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:27 pm
see comments above.
Thanks! Looks like Ft Wayne is definitely the closest. I'll check it out. It's 30 to 45 minutes there traffic depending. Did find out two 2nd cousins I barely see were able to play in HS (club as it isn't recognized as a sport by Indiana yet).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Basement Bias wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:01 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:27 pm
see comments above.
Thanks! Looks like Ft Wayne is definitely the closest. I'll check it out. It's 30 to 45 minutes there traffic depending. Did find out two 2nd cousins I barely see were able to play in HS (club as it isn't recognized as a sport by Indiana yet).
Enagage any scale nearby high schools so as to create a feeder for local HS programs. Find 8-10yr olds (3rd-5th) and you’d need about 90-120 kids for 6 teams if you plays 10x10, if 7x7 can get by with 11-13 per roster instead of 15-20. Find out where you can locate field access as well which is a problem in my area as soccer reserved everything with the city years ago even when they don’t use it-obnoxious. W 6 teams you can play each twice and have a nice long season.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Return to “YOUTH AND CLUB LACROSSE”