ISL Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse
Laxxal22

Re: ISL Lacrosse

Post by Laxxal22 »

https://twitter.com/LXCMinutemen/status ... 1626698752

Hitting the portion of the summer where rising seniors are starting to commit to D3 schools. Gannon had a nice season for Belmont Hill (16g, 2a) running mostly in the midfield. Good stick and nice feet for a stocky build.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Down at the National Showcase. Fun to watch all these teams. Very good lacrosse from teams all over the country.

LS & Hingham both holding their own and look good.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I caught a little of the livestream of the final on the train earlier. Hard to know who is missing for each team, but a pretty dominant performance for Deerfield today and this weekend. Great to see Hingham and LS having success as well.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Deerfield has some absolute stud PG’s that we’re playing with them. Don’t know names but a guy was pointing them out to me. They were men amongst boys.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Not specifically ISL lacrosse, but took a look at the results of the NatLaxFed's club championships over the weekend. The Laxachusetts Black teams, which are largely made up of ISL players did quite well. The 22s and 21s each lost by a goal in the semis, while the 20s made it to the final. They got worked by Brennan O'Neil's Team 91 Crush, but still a good showing and a sign that MA is producing talent that can compete with anyone. Laxachusetts Yellow, 3D New England, Fighting Clams, and New Hampshire Tomahawks also participated and acquitted themselves well.
CT Transplant

Post by CT Transplant »

Since CT is part of NE add in Eclipse (CT),2 Way (CT),Express North (CT and Westchester NY) and Primetime ( CT and Westchester NY) that performed well this weekend.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Only didn't include because those clubs don't feed into the ISL very much, but yes a tremendous amount of New England representation.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Bostonlax.net posted their all-underclassman team. Not surprisingly there's solid ISL representation. Some of these guys already had big impacts in 2019, but they should really break out next season.

First Team

Attack
Russell Thorndike, Groton, 2021 (also made ISL Super Team)
Nick Bell, Rivers, 2022 (also made ISL Super Team)

Midfield
Aidan Maguire, St. Seb's, 2022
Will Hoyt, Tabor, 2021

LSM
Ronan Doherty, Groton, 2021 (also made ISL Super Team)
PJ McKeigue, St. Seb's, 2022
Ian Olenik, Govs, 2022

FOGO
Quin McConnaughey, Thayer, 2021
Jack Rideout, St. Seb's, (also made ISL Super Team)

Def
Trey Brown, Belmont Hill, 2021
Grant Litchfield, Belmont Hill, 2021
Jimmy Freehill, St. Seb's, 2021 (also made ISL Super Team)

Honorable Mention

Attack
Ted Harrington, St. Seb's, 2021
Tommy Armstrong, St. Seb's, 2021
Chad Palumbo, Nobles, 2022
David Jacobs, Nobles, 2021
Aidan O'Neal, Tabor, 2022
Joey Kraft, Rivers, 2021
Beau Keogh, RL, 2021
Bobby O'Grady, RL, 2021
Will McCarthy, Middlesex, 2021
Blake Weldon, Govs, 2021
Theo Kostakos, Thayer, 2021
Shane Denin, Groton, 2021

Midfield
Jack Pappendick, BB&N, 2022
Nico Berger, BB&N, 2022
Thomas Porell, BB&N, 2022
Jackson Coutu, St. Mark's, 2021
Jack Taylor, Lawrence Academy, 2022
Karsten Nyarady, Tabor, 2021
Cole Van Meter, Nobles, 2021
Peyton O'Leary, Govs, 2021

LSM
Peter Frates, RL, 2021

Def
Anthony Romano, Groton, 2021
George Fulton, Middlesex, 2021
Max Ewald, BB&N, 2021

G
Henry Peters, St. Mark's, 2021
Oran Gelinas, Middlesex, 2022

Notable misses (I'm sure arguments could be made for a lot of kids)
Bryan Anderson, LSM, RL, 2021
Griffin Hough, LSM, Tabor, 2022
Cooper Manzi, Attack, Tabor, 2022
Zach Travalglini, Attack, Belmont Hill, 2021
Andrew Hahm, Def, St. Seb's, 2022
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Not a lot of love for the ISL in the U15 and U17 US team selections. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eams/55280

I would have expected more than 3 across both teams. It would be easy to cry “bias” based on the geographic concentrations, but it does appear that they cast a pretty wide net for the initial tryout invitations.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I only see five from MIAA A schools, and none listed from West 1/Founder's League, so I don't think three is bad at all given that the ISL is only 16 schools in a sport that now has thousands of high school teams playing.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

With Inside Lacrosse releasing their Top 100 as well as additional four-star recruits, let's see how the ISL is doing.

Top 100
#57 Grant Litchfield, Def, Belmont Hill
#70 RonanDoherty, Lsm, Groton
#73 Jimmy Freehill, Def, St. Seb's

Four Stars
Trey Brown, Def, Belmont Hill
Greg Dennison, Def, Rivers
George Fulton, Def, Middlesex
Russell Thorndike, Att, Groton
Cole Van Meter, A/M, Nobles

Eight players in the 50-150 top players is pretty good. Per usual, league looks to be producing more high level longsticks than offensive threats.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Two-tiered playoff with 11 game league schedules designed for competitive balance? Amazing!!! WEST-1, see??? It can be done!!!
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

This is a really interesting/great year for an ISL playoff. In the past it has been a 4-5 teams competing against each other for the top spot, and then trying to not get upset in the remaining 10-11 games. This year I think the league has 10 (possibly 11) teams with the talent to beat anyone else on any given day. Eighth seed will definitely have a shot at winning the title.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Inside Lacrosse with their top 100 class of 2020 rankings: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/rankinglist/4

Decent ISL representation.

27. Nathan Laliberte, Fogo, Govs (Bryant)
49. Charlie Weitzel, Def, Roxbury Latin (Yale)
63. Colin Berstrom, Def, Roxbury Latin (Harvard)
90. John Dixon, Fogo, Nobles (Georgetown)

Both Cam Rubin and Blake Brookes (Belmont Hill) have been ranked for this class in previous years, but appear to have fallen out of the top 100.
TotoketLax

Post by TotoketLax »

Will the ISL be playing with a shot clock for the 2020 season?

My understanding is that NE West I will be using the shot clock this coming season.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Anyone have any knowledge of a Hobart recruit at hingham named Sam Ward? Seems like he has good size at attack. Is he a crease type player or feeder, etc? Thanks
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Haven't heard about shot clock, but I'd be a little surprised to see it as the offseason focus seems to have been of finalizing a playoff structure.

Not sure about Ward, but some posters here have a good sense of MA publics and might know.

The past few days a bunch of ISL team accounts have responded to this tweet (https://twitter.com/3dLacrosse/status/1 ... 4342936577 ) saying they'll be at the Pre-prep event at Dexter. Nice loophole created by 3D Lacrosse to get around the no "first contact" recruiting of the ISL and some other NE preps. Coaches can just sit at a foldout table with a polo shirt and hat from their schools and wait for the herd.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Do any MA lax fans know the MIAA's position on playing ISL schools? It's rare across most sports. St. Seb's and Catholic Memorial play in hockey, but that tradition is 25ish years old and has a charity aspect tied to it.

With the ISL bumping down to 11 game plus playoffs, there should be an additional open date or two on ISL schedules after the playoffs end. Some people hate the idea because ISL rosters are a little older, but I'd love to see some high-level MIAA-ISL match ups, similar to how there's been some FCIAC-NE West 1 games in CT the past few years. Played in late May it'd be a nice way for ISL teams to have a final game in late season form against a tough team, and a great a playoff tune up for MIAA teams against state champ caliber competition, all without any travel budgets getting stretched.

I'd especially be interested in the boys schools (RL, Belmont Hill, Seb's) against the Catholic Conference. Those schools all have so many kids that play together on the assorted club teams that it would make for good-spirited rivalries. There's potential weirdness in match ups like Hingham or Needham vs. Seb's, where there are a lot of kids from the town (and perhaps some of the town's very best) on the ISL roster and some people might have feelings about it. Games like that can get chippy. ISL coaches just need to be aware of their roster construction if/when scheduling public school opponents.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Some former ISLers mentioned in the write up of the Hopkins/Penn/Albany fall ball event. For Hopkins, Gainey (Seb's) and Calnan (Nobles/Exeter). For Penn, Varney (Roxbury Latin) and Blake (Seb's).

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... otes/55433

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”