NY and MA tournaments

HS Boys Lacrosse
Reddogg

Re: NY and MA tournaments

Post by Reddogg »

I certainly was not intending to be dismissive. I appreciate opposing views in this uncertain landscape. While I would respond further, much of it is beyond the scope of the thread. I am trying to follow the data to make informed decisions. The data in the NE is very favorable now, in large part because of the prior carnage in LTC facilities and some of the highest death rates in the world. In hindsight, Lockdown, if appropriate at all, was too late. Now, the same mistake is being made - re-opening in NY and MA is too late. What is happening in FLA and Texas is what already occurred on the NE but with a fraction of the death. Playing sports outdoors, especially by those under 25, does not appear to pose substantial risk to the players or to increased transmission. I continue to think NY and MA are too cautious and restrictive. The impact on a society without schools, social life, sports and exercise will be felt for a long time after the Vid becomes endemic. Stop the fear and loathing. There is very good news regarding children and young adults and our response should take this into consideration.
Reddogg

Post by Reddogg »

I certainly was not intending to be dismissive. I appreciate opposing views in this uncertain landscape. While I would respond further, much of it is beyond the scope of the thread. I am trying to follow the data to make informed decisions. The data in the NE is very favorable now, in large part because of the prior carnage in LTC facilities and some of the highest death rates in the world. In hindsight, Lockdown, if appropriate at all, was too late. Now, the same mistake is being made - re-opening in NY and MA is too late. What is happening in FLA and Texas is what already occurred on the NE but with a fraction of the death. Playing sports outdoors, especially by those under 25, does not appear to pose substantial risk to the players or to increased transmission. I continue to think NY and MA are too cautious and restrictive. The impact on a society without schools, social life, sports and exercise will be felt for a long time after the Vid becomes endemic. Stop the fear and loathing. There is very good news regarding children and young adults and our response should take this into consideration. Protect the vulnerable, quartantine the sick, and get back to living.
cc2519

Post by cc2519 »

Reddogg wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:45 pm
SidelineHorn wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:57 pm To be fair a BIG uptick in games being played in NH started about two weeks ago. To say there is no spread isn't true. You might eventually be right...but everything with this virus has a lag time. That's why it's been so hard to control. There are programs in MA that have had kids test positive for the virus and their teammates had to be tested and quarantine.

Fingers crossed the low numbers in New England allow for the summer to be continued to play without issues. Hearing from college coaches that the fall is going to be WILD. Buckle UP!
Yes, there is a lag of a few days typically from exposure to symptoms, if any, but the 7 day average for new cases in NH was 21 on July 5 and it is 21 on July 19 and this includes post 4th of July festivities - so no spike yet (and the real issue is hospitalizations not cases).

As for transmission, I am not aware of any evidence showing that outdoor sports significantly contribute to transmission. Even if kids and young adults do get it, there is as a rule, no major problems. Moreover, I also am not aware of any difference between lacrosse, soccer and field hockey which are all allowed in NY. NY rules are arbitrary and ridiculous, especiallt when the virus has dissapated like it has (after devastating the elderly due in part to assanine policies with nursing homes).

The article sensationalizes one case to shame people and drive fear. The real issue on the case in the article was that the athlete apparently had symptoms before travelling, a really bad idea but not the point of the article.

There may be cases but the key point is that there is no widespread problem in the NE from these new cases or from travel to similarly situated areas. 1000 new cases in NY per day but no exponential rise despite protests ,open beaches, ooen restaurants, until recently bars, offices and public transportation. Why? Clearly, there is something different in the NE (NH and VT and Maine may have an issue and need to be monitored,as they have had much less of a problem) and the South. Why? The answer is not lockdown but is due to the seasonality of viruses and natural resistance as spread reaches 20 percent of the population. This is true all over the world and will be true in FLA very soon and Texas. Lockdown was never supposed to stop transmission, only flatten the curve. Lockdown also ignores the other side of the ledger - economic ruin, mental health problems and health crisis for those who fail to get care.

It is time to stop the madness, especially in a large part of the northeast that has already been devastated. Open Schools (definitely an essential service ), open the economy, live life and play sports especially outdoors, and quarantine the sick and unhealthy.

My fingers are certainly crossed but the information from Europe is really encouraging. I hope you are right about the fall but I am concerned that fear will lead to no fall sports, including lax.
"Open the economy, live life....quarantine the sick an unhealthy." A radical concept, other than the fact that this is how every previous pandemic in modern history has been handled! We are truly living in a state of mass psychosis - or as I heard someone else refer to it - "Social contagion via social networks." Unfortunately I expect we will continue in this state for at least another year or so. Many intelligent people are wildly mis-informed or simply impervious to real data and historical context if it goes against the narrative they already have imprinted in their heads. And it's our kids (elementary, HS and college) who will suffer the most. Which is ironic, since I've always thought it's our job as parents to take risks and make sacrifices for our kids, not force them to sacrifice for us!
Reddogg

Post by Reddogg »

Upstate Under Armour tryouts postponed. No new date set. Not looking good for a team despite one on the lowest infection rates.
Reddogg

Post by Reddogg »

https://www.change.org/p/andrew-m-cuomo ... e_petition

Soccer,field hockey and baseball are all ok to play. Why not lacrosse?
laxfan91

Post by laxfan91 »

Underclass All American rosters are posted on www.underarmourlacrosse.com

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”