2020 Summer Camps

HS Boys Lacrosse
smmtiger

2020 Summer Camps

Post by smmtiger »

Do anybody know if summer camps are going to be business as usual this summer anywhere? I know Hampden-Sydney has bagged theirs. Some states are allowing students back 1 June, which would theoretically open some doors (no pun intended).
smoova

Re: 2020 Summer Camps

Post by smoova »

From what I've seen, the majority of on-campus, summer prospect camps have been moved to August/September/October.
Dniddie

Post by Dniddie »

What exactly does the dead period mean??
It’s now extended to July 31
smoova

Post by smoova »

Dniddie wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:11 pm What exactly does the dead period mean??
DI coaches cannot have face-to-face contact with recruits during the dead period. Face-to-face includes attendance at tournaments/showcases/prospect camps.
Dniddie

Post by Dniddie »

Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like things will ramp up in the fall
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

smoova wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:49 pm
Dniddie wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:11 pm What exactly does the dead period mean??
DI coaches cannot have face-to-face contact with recruits during the dead period. Face-to-face includes attendance at tournaments/showcases/prospect camps.
Absolutely ridiculous. NCAA allowing practices back on campus in June, but with this decision they've effectively cancelled the summer recruiting tournament season.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Lacrosse is not an NCAA priority...football is.
viper

Post by viper »

Slim wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:30 am Lacrosse is not an NCAA priority...football is.
It's all about the dollars. The revenue from football at many schools keeps their lacrosse programs going.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

True at some schools but football losses are going to sink lacrosse at others
Bonkboo

Post by Bonkboo »

What percentage of D1 football schools are revenue positive? I’m sure the majority of the Power 5 are, but maybe I’m wrong. I know a lot of schools rely heavily on football to cover athletic and other costs, but just trying to get a sense of how impactful it will be NCAA wide.
cc2519

Post by cc2519 »

Dniddie wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:48 am Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like things will ramp up in the fall
Here on the west coast, clubs are talking about doing events with high-end video, etc. for coaches to review. I would not be surprised if the big summer tourneys/showcases go that route in order to keep the events going this summer.

Frankly, it's an opportunity for innovative event groups (Adrenaline, 3D, NLF, etc.) to take these recruiting events in a direction they should go anyway - really high-end video as a COMPLEMENT to in-person attendance by coaches. Even when (if?) things get back to normal, there's no way coaches can see all the players they want to see at any one tourney - that's why you see them shuffling from field to field after just one half of a game.
laxman

Post by laxman »

do you think we will see recruiting camps such as Under Armour or Showtime cancelled if there are no college coaches there?
Some of these kids do not play in hotbeds so this is their way to be seen. Some of the incentive is to be seen. Why fly from Texas, Arizona, Utah if there is no coaches there?
cc2519

Post by cc2519 »

laxman wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:50 pm do you think we will see recruiting camps such as Under Armour or Showtime cancelled if there are no college coaches there?
Some of these kids do not play in hotbeds so this is their way to be seen. Some of the incentive is to be seen. Why fly from Texas, Arizona, Utah if there is no coaches there?
I suppose it partially depends on whether or not they could be rescheduled for early August if the dead-period is lifted at the end of July. Or maybe they get pushed to September. It's all up in the air and everyone is trying to react on the fly, right? For me, as a parent of a '22 who's been without sports for months, I'd drive across the country just to get him the chance to play and compete this summer, with or without college coaches... :D

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”