Summer Lacrosse 2020

HS Boys Lacrosse
Surfs_Up

Summer Lacrosse 2020

Post by Surfs_Up »

Anyone hearing what the what on Summer ball? Will the Maryland - Philly games happen, but NY stay closed? Will NY kids travel if the other states have ball?

Will any states have ball?

Maybe all tournaments should be in Vegas
Laxxal22

Re: Summer Lacrosse 2020

Post by Laxxal22 »

I'd imagine a lot more local and regional stuff vs. national tournaments with Crabs, Laxachusetts, West Coast Starz, etc. Clubs in the same area, that rarely acknowledge each other's existence, will probably end up playing each other a bunch this summer. There will be a lot of filming as tape will be really valuable for looking at 21s and 22s as it will be tough for coaches to do one stop shopping.

I also expect to see high school coaches take a more active role in states & leagues that allow it, but not sure how it manifests.
viper

Post by viper »

Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:45 am I'd imagine a lot more local and regional stuff vs. national tournaments with Crabs, Laxachusetts, West Coast Starz, etc. Clubs in the same area, that rarely acknowledge each other's existence, will probably end up playing each other a bunch this summer. There will be a lot of filming as tape will be really valuable for looking at 21s and 22s as it will be tough for coaches to do one stop shopping.

I also expect to see high school coaches take a more active role in states & leagues that allow it, but not sure how it manifests.
I can tell you that some of the Maryland tournaments have already moved there June dates to middle/late July. That of course might be wishful thinking, but they haven't thrown in the towel just yet.
TexasLax

Post by TexasLax »

Is NLF Opening Weekend still that first weekend of June? Even if things have opened up, I can’t imagine that any teams have really practiced yet.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Most club teams have not had full practices. Almost all June events have rescheduled to mid/late-July. Overnight prospect camps have converted to day camps. On-campus prospect days have cancelled or moved to the fall.

Losing this summer could hurt the 2021s, especially those living outside the northeast/mid-Atlantic regions who cannot travel as easily in the fall. Fall 2020 and summer 2021 recruiting seasons will be frenetic. The interplay of a lost recruiting summer, reduced exposure for kids from non-hotbed areas and the additional year of NCAA eligibility is very interesting.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Interesting is not the word I would use for it. Pretty devastating is closer to what I would call it.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Surfs_Up wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:30 pm Interesting is not the word I would use for it. Pretty devastating is closer to what I would call it.
I'm just trying to keep my emotions out of it.
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

This is the second time the 2020/2021 have taken a hit, First was with ER. Just as ER was to start with 2021's and finish for 2020's, NCAA changed the rules to 11th grade ( which is a good thing ). Many 2021 gearing up for the early recruiting had the rugged pulled out from under them. Many 2020's were put in limbo. Now with the extra year added to all current college players. 2020's are going to join 2019's as first year college players. That will be a large group of first year players !

At the D1 level, I cant see many more 2021's getting recruited. The most well known are already recruited.

These High School players entering college will have a tough road ahead for 4 years until the extra year players clear out. PG/red shirt will be in the cards for many along with reclass at HS level if possible.

If you think lacrosse transfer portal is getting big..This is from a College Baseball website """"" The portal includes 1,088 names at the Division I level with 299 hailing from one of the five power conferences.""""
jerseyman

Post by jerseyman »

Chuckman wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:16 am This is the second time the 2020/2021 have taken a hit, First was with ER. Just as ER was to start with 2021's and finish for 2020's, NCAA changed the rules to 11th grade ( which is a good thing ). Many 2021 gearing up for the early recruiting had the rugged pulled out from under them. Many 2020's were put in limbo. Now with the extra year added to all current college players. 2020's are going to join 2019's as first year college players. That will be a large group of first year players !

At the D1 level, I cant see many more 2021's getting recruited. The most well known are already recruited.

These High School players entering college will have a tough road ahead for 4 years until the extra year players clear out. PG/red shirt will be in the cards for many along with reclass at HS level if possible.

If you think lacrosse transfer portal is getting big..This is from a College Baseball website """"" The portal includes 1,088 names at the Division I level with 299 hailing from one of the five power conferences.""""
This is an over generalization. Many of the D1 schools outside the top 30 have not filled their 2021 classes yet, and for those that don’t have grad schools and can’t welcome 5th year players, there still may be room at the inn for 2021s. That said, those schools will likely wait to see if there are any summer tourneys/showcases to be had - before making any final decisions. But yes, it sucks for 2021s with D1 aspirations. D3s, on the other hand, are not waiting around. For kids willing to play at that level, there are still plenty of opportunities, and coaches have been actively reaching out to recruits.
dawn patrol

Post by dawn patrol »

Chuckman wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:16 am

It sounds like the words due diligence and caveat emptor should be in the mind of every recruit for the next four years. I'm positive some 2021's are opting for a PG year making decisions for 2022 more difficult and at the top prep schools it can be very competitive for playing time.
Would it be helpful if the NCAA allowed JUCO to be a better option by relaxing the five years to play four for 2021 and 2022. It's my understanding the clock starts once you enroll my thought is if you enroll but don't play you could still have five years.
I doubt if many would take advantage of an extra year would allow the dust to settle so student athletes could chart their course with more clarity.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

This is where having connections helps. Also marketing yourself AFTER doing your due diligence about a school. Coaches will typically not recruit on highlight tapes alone, grades, character, references, clean academic admission standards, and healthy interest and understanding about that school all help. Sell yourself and get your name on the whiteboard.

Coaches are juggling this chaos as well....help them in the process.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Slim

Post by Slim »

NHSLS are moving forward with summer plans for now. new dates in late July. Only high school teams, no clubs.

Red session is July 28-29 (5 games/team)
White session is July 30-31 (5 games/team)

2020's are allowed to play this time around!

Of course, a lot depends on Governor's orders along with local Howard County officials.

Time will tell.
buhund

Post by buhund »

TexasLax wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:48 pm Is NLF Opening Weekend still that first weekend of June? Even if things have opened up, I can’t imagine that any teams have really practiced yet.
NLF Opening Weekend has been cancelled and will not be rescheduled.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Anyone hear definitively if NHSLS is happening in Howard county. Will high school teams from out-of-state be traveling down to play? Can Maryland schools even play? It is such a good tournament, I hope it can run this summer.
viper

Post by viper »

Slim wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:49 am Anyone hear definitively if NHSLS is happening in Howard county. Will high school teams from out-of-state be traveling down to play? Can Maryland schools even play? It is such a good tournament, I hope it can run this summer.
I am not sure about the tournament, but Hoco is opening its parks and fields for practices. Local club teams have started having practices with social distancing measures and Maryland just last week went into phase II of it's reopening.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

viper wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:05 am
Slim wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:49 am Anyone hear definitively if NHSLS is happening in Howard county. Will high school teams from out-of-state be traveling down to play? Can Maryland schools even play? It is such a good tournament, I hope it can run this summer.
I am not sure about the tournament, but Hoco is opening its parks and fields for practices. Local club teams have started having practices with social distancing measures and Maryland just last week went into phase II of it's reopening.
Am hearing it's back to "normal" here in MD
viper

Post by viper »

foreverlax wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:05 pm
I can only speak for two club teams, but can tell you what "normal" is for now around Howard County.....
  • temperature checks and reports before walking onto the field
  • limit of 15 people (coaches and players) on each half field (up from 10 last week)
  • no contact drills whatsoever
  • players/coaches maintain 6 feet distance at all times on the field
  • one way approaches and exits to all fields
  • no parents in the stands or on the sides of the field - some fields have stands blocked off
  • no bathrooms open at parks
  • coaches and players must be masked walking to and from field
  • probably a few other rules I can't recall off the top of my head
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

viper wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:11 pm
I can only speak for two club teams, but can tell you what "normal" is for now around Howard County.....
same
  • limit of 15 people (coaches and players) on each half field (up from 10 last week)
no limits
full contact
no requirement
no requirement
  • no parents in the stands or on the sides of the field - some fields have stands blocked off
same
same
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Article by Quint on IL https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tory/56524

I for one wanted to emphasize this quote:
Will high school lacrosse become more meaningful than club? Gosh, we can only hope.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
viper

Post by viper »

foreverlax wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:14 am
viper wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:11 pm
same
no limits
full contact
no requirement
no requirement
same
same
Is that in Howard County or elsewhere? I believe the clubs in Hoco are dictated by the county.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”