HS Boys National Rankings

HS Boys Lacrosse
Matnum PI

HS Boys National Rankings

Post by Matnum PI »

HS BOYS: Preseason Top 100
FanLax Computer starts the 2020 season in the same spot that FanLax Computer finished the 2019 season. After a handful of games, 2019 is all but 100% erased but… this is how the 2020 season will start, with St Anthonys NY at #1...

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/03/05/hs- ... n-top-100/
Last edited by Matnum PI on Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Re: HS Boys National Rankings

Post by Matnum PI »

I consistently dislike USLaxMagazine's Rankings but... We've gotta start somewhere...

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/high-sch ... nal-top-25

HIGH SCHOOL BOYS’ NATIONAL TOP 25
1. St. Anthony’s (N.Y.)
2. St. John’s (D.C.)
3. Mount Sinai (N.Y.)
4. Brunswick (Conn.)
5. Archbishop Spalding (Md.)
6. McDonogh (Md.)
7. Chaminade (N.Y.)
8. Darien (Conn.)
9. Calvert Hall (Md.)
10. Boys’ Latin (Md.)
11. Culver Academy (Ind.)
12. Georgetown Prep (Md.)
13. Manhasset (N.Y.)
14. Malvern Prep (Pa.)
15. Garden City (N.Y.)
16. Northport (N.Y.)
17. Don Bosco Prep (N.J.)
18. Ridgefield (Conn.)
19. Paul VI (Va.)
20. Landon (Md.)
21. Webster Thomas (N.Y.)
22. Seton Hall Prep (N.J.)
23. Ward Melville (N.Y.)
24. Loyola Blakefield (Md.)
25. Torrey Pines (Calif.)

Also considered (alphabetical order): Baldwinsville (N.Y.), Bayport-Blue Point (N.Y.), Briarcliffe (N.Y.), Bullis (Md.), Canandaigua (N.Y.), Comsewogue (N.Y.), Delbarton (N.J.), DeMatha (Md.), Gonzaga (D.C.), Haverford School (Pa.), Mountain Lakes (N.J.), St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes (Va.), Summit (N.J.), Victor (N.Y.), Yorktown (N.Y.)
Caddy Day
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

A worthy but thankless task. My guess would be that once you get out of the truly elite top 12-15 teams, the next 50 or so could all beat each other on any given day.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:30 pm A worthy but thankless task. My guess would be that once you get out of the truly elite top 12-15 teams, the next 50 or so could all beat each other on any given day.
It's those 12-15 that drive me crazy. The prejudices of the person/people making the rankings are palpable. if there was literally *any* rationale, I could play along...
Caddy Day
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

100% agree. Preseason is pretty much impossible, but it's content that almost everyone will click on.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Yes, can't get too mad at any pre-season ranking, especially this year, as it is a thankless task. And outside of the top 5, this isn't too bad really. But # 2, #3 and #5 are crazy. Some lists exclude schools with PGs, some boarding schools, obvious excluding any PG schools here. But while St. John's, Mt. Sinai and Spalding are all great teams...good grief. Spallina is in college and we aren't talking about "C" rankings. Mt. Sinai probably isn't at top 10, let along top5 team in NY, let alone the country (a top 15 team in NY is still extremely good). St. John's??? Uhm, no. Spalding had a great run last year, lets see if they are top 4 in MIAA again before putting them at #5 nationally. Rest of it not too bad.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Inside Lacrosse Top 25

1. St. John's (D.C.)
2. McDonogh (Md.)
3. Brunswick (Conn.)
4. St. Anthony's (N.Y.)
5. Culver (Ind.)
6. Calvert Hall (Md.)
7. Boys' Latin (Md.)
8. Lawrenceville (N.J.)
9. Georgetown Prep (Md.)
10. Salisbury (Conn.)
11. Deerfield (Mass.)
12. Spalding (Md.)
13. Taft (Conn.)
14. Hill Academy (Ont.)
15. Mount Sinai (N.Y.)
16. Darien (Conn.)
17. Chaminade (N.Y.)
18. Manhasset (N.Y.)
19. Loyola Blakefield (Md.)
20. Haverford (Pa.)
21. Malvern Prep (Pa.)
22. Garden City (N.Y.)
23. Ridgefield (Conn.)
24. Western Reserve (Ohio)
25. St. Sebastian's (Mass.)

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ason/59053
random observer

Post by random observer »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:36 pm Yes, can't get too mad at any pre-season ranking, especially this year, as it is a thankless task. And outside of the top 5, this isn't too bad really. But # 2, #3 and #5 are crazy. Some lists exclude schools with PGs, some boarding schools, obvious excluding any PG schools here. But while St. John's, Mt. Sinai and Spalding are all great teams...good grief. Spallina is in college and we aren't talking about "C" rankings. Mt. Sinai probably isn't at top 10, let along top5 team in NY, let alone the country (a top 15 team in NY is still extremely good). St. John's??? Uhm, no. Spalding had a great run last year, lets see if they are top 4 in MIAA again before putting them at #5 nationally. Rest of it not too bad.
Always respect your contributions to this board pcowlax but you could not be more off. St. John's returns EVERYONE from a team that was stacked last year; more impressive still, their offensive quarterback was a freshman last year so he should take a big leap forward. Similarly, Mt. Sinai lost almost nothing from last year's team, which beat a vintage Manhasset squad in the LIC: Spallina is still there (he's a senior), as are 6 of their next 7 leading scorers. Lastly, Spalding loses a few players like Josh Tang, but the spine of that team was the 2022 class (led by Ripley, Schrier, Ross, and of course Weisshaar, who may the best player in the state), and this was always the year that people had circled on the calendar for them to make a run at an MIAA title.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

random observer wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:45 pm Always respect your contributions to this board pcowlax but you could not be more off. St. John's returns EVERYONE from a team that was stacked last year; more impressive still, their offensive quarterback was a freshman last year so he should take a big leap forward. Similarly, Mt. Sinai lost almost nothing from last year's team, which beat a vintage Manhasset squad in the LIC: Spallina is still there (he's a senior), as are 6 of their next 7 leading scorers. Lastly, Spalding loses a few players like Josh Tang, but the spine of that team was the 2022 class (led by Ripley, Schrier, Ross, and of course Weisshaar, who may the best player in the state), and this was always the year that people had circled on the calendar for them to make a run at an MIAA title.
Caddy Day
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Totally stupid of me about Spallina, you are of course right that he is still there, I have lost track of the years with the messed up seasons the past few. I certainly agree those are all very good teams but still can't put any of them top 5 at this point (of course no one has proven anything on the field yet). Spalding will certainly contend again in the MIAA but personally I don't think they will win. In years past, you could be the 3rd or 4th best team in the MIAA and still be or at least almost be a top 10 team nationally but that is no longer the case. I don't see a team that doesn't win the league finishing in the top 5 and, as I said, personally I don't think they will win. IL's list with Spalding at 12 and Mt. Sinai at 15 looks a little better, just in my opinion. I am certainly less familiar with St. John's, at least historically, but I don't see anything at least in the past few years in their non-conference results that would let me put them at 1 or 2 in the nation, regardless of how much talent they have. There are so many more bigtime OOC matchups these days, beating Severn or Georgetown Prep doesn't really move the needle too much for me when we are talking at the top of the rankings (the GP and Landon of the past would have). I don't see a schedule for them on their school site or Maxprep yet other than a game with Gilman that looks like didn't happen and actually GP today, hopefully they have challenged themselves knowing how good they should be.
random observer

pcowlax wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:48 am Totally stupid of me about Spallina, you are of course right that he is still there, I have lost track of the years with the messed up seasons the past few. I certainly agree those are all very good teams but still can't put any of them top 5 at this point (of course no one has proven anything on the field yet). Spalding will certainly contend again in the MIAA but personally I don't think they will win. In years past, you could be the 3rd or 4th best team in the MIAA and still be or at least almost be a top 10 team nationally but that is no longer the case. I don't see a team that doesn't win the league finishing in the top 5 and, as I said, personally I don't think they will win. IL's list with Spalding at 12 and Mt. Sinai at 15 looks a little better, just in my opinion. I am certainly less familiar with St. John's, at least historically, but I don't see anything at least in the past few years in their non-conference results that would let me put them at 1 or 2 in the nation, regardless of how much talent they have. There are so many more bigtime OOC matchups these days, beating Severn or Georgetown Prep doesn't really move the needle too much for me when we are talking at the top of the rankings (the GP and Landon of the past would have). I don't see a schedule for them on their school site or Maxprep yet other than a game with Gilman that looks like didn't happen and actually GP today, hopefully they have challenged themselves knowing how good they should be.
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. St. John's only lost one game last year, to a stacked Taft team in a game where Ricciardelli had 20+ saves. Georgetown Prep was down for a number of years, but last year's squad, which St. John's beat twice to claim district bragging rights, was an elite group; in addition to the current 2023 class, which has 3 IL 5 stars, and the top ranked 2022 FOGO, that team had a senior class consisting of multiple ND commits (Angrick is starting for the Irish as a freshman), multiple Navy commits, Lehigh, Maryland, Penn, Amherst. The 2021 class as a whole was really strong in DC, as evidenced by the dominance displayed by the DC Express squad that had a number of GP and Bullis kids. I don't know if St. John's will end up being the best team nationally this year, but they are certainly a valid preseason #1 in my mind given their depth all over the field. IL's schedule has them playing GP, BL, CH, Hill, and St. Anthony's, so they will definitely have their chance to prove it.

I think Mt. Sinai might be the best team on the island; St. Anthony's has boatloads of talent, but it's mostly in the junior class. IMO senior leadership is key at the high school level, and Mt. Sinai has one of the best to ever play high school lacrosse on the Island leading them. And their defense is deep too with Trepeta (Hopkins), Sageder (Cuse), and Spallina (Cuse).

Spalding I agree is probably more of a fringe top 10 team than contender for #1, but I'd have them as my preseason #2 in the MIAA; even though BL brought home the championship, McDonogh and Spalding were the top 2 teams last year, and they return the strongest senior classes. IMO it will be between those two and CH. Weisshaar alone can take over a game; they don't give you the C. Markland Kelly award to juniors often.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

random observer wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:55 pm
pcowlax wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:48 am Totally stupid of me about Spallina, you are of course right that he is still there, I have lost track of the years with the messed up seasons the past few. I certainly agree those are all very good teams but still can't put any of them top 5 at this point (of course no one has proven anything on the field yet). Spalding will certainly contend again in the MIAA but personally I don't think they will win. In years past, you could be the 3rd or 4th best team in the MIAA and still be or at least almost be a top 10 team nationally but that is no longer the case. I don't see a team that doesn't win the league finishing in the top 5 and, as I said, personally I don't think they will win. IL's list with Spalding at 12 and Mt. Sinai at 15 looks a little better, just in my opinion. I am certainly less familiar with St. John's, at least historically, but I don't see anything at least in the past few years in their non-conference results that would let me put them at 1 or 2 in the nation, regardless of how much talent they have. There are so many more bigtime OOC matchups these days, beating Severn or Georgetown Prep doesn't really move the needle too much for me when we are talking at the top of the rankings (the GP and Landon of the past would have). I don't see a schedule for them on their school site or Maxprep yet other than a game with Gilman that looks like didn't happen and actually GP today, hopefully they have challenged themselves knowing how good they should be.
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. St. John's only lost one game last year, to a stacked Taft team in a game where Ricciardelli had 20+ saves. Georgetown Prep was down for a number of years, but last year's squad, which St. John's beat twice to claim district bragging rights, was an elite group; in addition to the current 2023 class, which has 3 IL 5 stars, and the top ranked 2022 FOGO, that team had a senior class consisting of multiple ND commits (Angrick is starting for the Irish as a freshman), multiple Navy commits, Lehigh, Maryland, Penn, Amherst. The 2021 class as a whole was really strong in DC, as evidenced by the dominance displayed by the DC Express squad that had a number of GP and Bullis kids. I don't know if St. John's will end up being the best team nationally this year, but they are certainly a valid preseason #1 in my mind given their depth all over the field. IL's schedule has them playing GP, BL, CH, Hill, and St. Anthony's, so they will definitely have their chance to prove it.

I think Mt. Sinai might be the best team on the island; St. Anthony's has boatloads of talent, but it's mostly in the junior class. IMO senior leadership is key at the high school level, and Mt. Sinai has one of the best to ever play high school lacrosse on the Island leading them. And their defense is deep too with Trepeta (Hopkins), Sageder (Cuse), and Spallina (Cuse).

Spalding I agree is probably more of a fringe top 10 team than contender for #1, but I'd have them as my preseason #2 in the MIAA; even though BL brought home the championship, McDonogh and Spalding were the top 2 teams last year, and they return the strongest senior classes. IMO it will be between those two and CH. Weisshaar alone can take over a game; they don't give you the C. Markland Kelly award to juniors often.

So far, 🤭 as would be expected with your knowledge of high school lax (though I stand firm on Spalding as not a top ten team and frankly not really close to it). If I could say anything in my defense, the list of commits for St. John’s, while impressive, pales in comparison to several other teams. Now, commits don’t win games and the win over Hill is extremely impressive. Their parts are excellent, though not the best, but it seems with continuity the whole is even better. It looks like only St. A’s between them and an undefeated, #1 season
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Unranked St Mary’s beat Georgetown Prep and all their 5star recruits 10-3 and in the same week blew out Landon 17-8. It was 17-2 before starters where pulled
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

random observer

Turnandrake wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:38 pm

Unranked St Mary’s beat Georgetown Prep and all their 5star recruits 10-3 and in the same week blew out Landon 17-8. It was 17-2 before starters where pulled
St. Mary's looks to be very good this year. Georgetown Prep has racked up a number of solid wins since, so I think that the lopsided losses to St. Mary's and St. John's are a testament to how good both of them are this year.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Anyone know if St. Johns vs. St. Anthony or Mt Sinai vs Garden city will be recorded online? Don't have devo and will be stuck at work but really want to see these matchups!
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

masondixonlax wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:42 am Anyone know if St. Johns vs. St. Anthony or Mt Sinai vs Garden city will be recorded online? Don't have devo and will be stuck at work but really want to see these matchups!
Will be live on ESPNU and the ESPN app.

https://geicolax.com/2022-showcase/
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

St. Anthony's won a lot of the statistical plays but St. Johns won a lot of the "tic tac toe" plays. Their positioning and spacing was unreal.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

St. John's looks like a college team. I can't believe Duenkel is a sophomore.

Mt. Sinai game - Not news to anyone but Spallina is a beast. Shriver said it best - plays a lot like Matt Rambo. So physical and always able to get the look he wants
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

get it to x wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:49 pm St. Anthony's won a lot of the statistical plays but St. Johns won a lot of the "tic tac toe" plays. Their positioning and spacing was unreal.
Talent coupled with outstanding coaching equals a terrific outcome against a powerful opponent. Those kids were awesome and deserve the #1 ranking!

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”