ISL Lacrosse 2020

HS Boys Lacrosse
ABClaxfan

Re: ISL Lacrosse 2020

Post by ABClaxfan »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:49 pm
OFOSHO wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:06 am
RandomActofLaxness wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:19 pm Any news/updates on ISL players transferring?
I hear that BH is getting a proven goalie (from another ISL program)!
Any other moves out there?
Be well!
Goalie transferring is M. Torrey ‘22 from Milton Academy to BH.
That was my guess. MA has a real hard time holding on to promising players.
Why is it that Milton Academy can never hold on to their top players? You would think that they have everything necessary to be successful. A lot of top players living in Milton tend to go to BC High over Milton.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

I heard from a good source that ISL fall interscholastic sports will not take place. Bummer.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:40 pm I heard from a good source that ISL fall interscholastic sports will not take place. Bummer.
I've seen reported that there won't be an official season with league champs, All-ISL, and NEPSAC playoffs, but that some schools are going to play modified seasons. Overall it's a big bummer (and pretty inevitable after the CT privates canceled) but happy to see that as of now not all hope is lost.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

The eventual announcement was a little more promising than the rumor. Good news, I suppose. One interesting angle for lacrosse is that the ISL will allow out of season sports practices. I know one boarding school in New Hampshire is planning to do four days of football and two days of lacrosse practice throughout the fall. I hope many of the ISL schools adopt a similar approach.Things can only get better!
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Grant Litchfield (Belmont Hill) flipped his commitment from Hopkins to Lehigh. Not surprising as he was a Pietramala recruit. Also, going Patriot League offers some insurance from NCAA granted fifth year players transferring in for a grad year. Litchfield has basically been built like a college defenseman since his freshman year of high school so at least from a physical standpoint he should be ready to compete from day one.

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 6669423616
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

A few updates on guys who I think would've have had breakout 2020 seasons in the ISL, but that obviously didn't happen.

Defensman Johnny Cowdrick (MIddlesex, 2021) who came in last year from Lexington High, committed to Trinity. Solid all-around defender, who I figured to be in the mix for D1 opportunities, so that's a nice pick up for the Bantams. They've recruited quite well recently (especially defensively) and should be in contention in the NESCAC real soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfUOXAQdffI

Midfielder Stephen Gaskill (Nobles, 2021) committed to BU, the second player from Nobles, fourth from the ISL, and sixth from Massachusetts to join the Terriers 2025 class. He transferred/reclassed (I believe from Chelsea High) after starring for the Boston chapter of Harlem Lacrosse. I've never seen him play, and it's tough to gauge the level of competition in the highlight vid below, but he looks speedy, well put together, and has a strong shot with both hands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFkwTPacVko

Midfielder Julian Targete (Belmont Hill, 2023) is transferring to IMG Academy. Freshmen typically don't play much for Belmont Hill, but Targete is one of the top 2023s in the country and would have gotten minutes. Projecting development is kind of a crapshoot but with his mix of size, speed, and skill Targete looks like he could become a five-star recruit/ISL POY type player. Tough loss for the league and especially BH but hope he does well down in Florida. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG5vg_oqZ3g
laxfan77

Re: ISL Fall Lacrosse

Post by laxfan77 »

I hear Middlesex isn't letting players off campus to attend any fall events, going to make recruiting even harder. Any word on what other ISL schools are doing, usually they all follow similar guide lines.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

laxfan77 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:56 am I hear Middlesex isn't letting players off campus to attend any fall events, going to make recruiting even harder. Any word on what other ISL schools are doing, usually they all follow similar guide lines.
Interesting. Could see that being the case for the boarding schools but I can't imagine the days schools (especially the parents) playing ball with that.
SidelineHorn

Post by SidelineHorn »

Like everything else it comes down to money....tournaments, club teams and school openings etc. Tough position to be in...Hopefully our kids can safely play this fall...not sure how any indoor will work as we move to winter training and leagues?
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

With recruiting for the class of 2022 opening up tomorrow, here's a quick look at where the class of 2021 stands. Tough recruiting circumstances for this group. Junior year is often the first shot at extended playing time in strong programs, and no D1 coaches on the club sidelines this summer.

I'm guessing there's another 25-30 uncommitted seniors capable of playing strong DIII or better (though some of those guys are more likely to pursue football or hockey opportunities), and college coaches will be trying to vet this class until the bitter end, so this list will expand a bit before the start (hopefully) of the 2021 season.

Please let me know if I missed anyone, listed incorrect school, etc.

Belmont Hill
Zach Travaglini - Attack - BU
Brooks Rayment - Midfield - Colby
Luke Curtin - Fogo - Skidmore
Grant Litchfield - Defense - Lehigh
Trey Brown - Defense/LSM - BU
Michael Marinello - Goalie - St. Lawrence

BB&N
Max Ewald - LSM - Harvard (as a 22)

Govs
Blake Weldon - Attack - Umass
Peyton O’Leary - Midfield - Umass
Aidan O'Connor - Att/mid - Utah
Charlie Rainer - Attack - Colorado College

Groton
Russell Thorndike - Attack - Middlebury
Anthony Romano - Defense - Richmond
Ronan Doherty - Defense - Notre Dame
Magnus Miller - Defense - Swathmore

Lawrence
Sean Henderson - Goalie - Hofstra

Middlesex
Will McCarthy - Attack - Middlebury
Niko Maheras - Midfield - Oberlin
Johnny Cowdrick - Defense - Trinity
George Fulton - Defense - Virginia 
Liam Alley - LSM - Union

Nobles
Cole Van Meter - Midfield - BU
Stephen Gaskill - Midfield - BU
Ethan Lung - LSM - Union
Tate Seeman - Defense - Air Force (after a PG year)

Rivers
Joey Kraft - Attack - Tufts
Brian Gonsalvez - Midfield - Skidmore
Gregg Dennison - Defense - Providence

Roxbury Latin
Bobby O’Grady - Attack - Marquette
Bryan Anderson - LSM - Brown

St. George’s
Ryan Matarese - Goalie - Kenyon

St. Mark’s
Jackson Coutu - Midfield - Providence
Bobby Bartlett - LSM - St. Lawrence

St. Sebastian’s
Tommy Armstong - Attack - Bucknell
Tim Blue - Attack - Skidmore
Sam Frisoli - Midfield - Tufts (football & lacrosse)
Jimmy Freehill - Defense - Denver 

Tabor
Gunnar Von Hollander - Att/Mid - Conn College
Will Hoyt - Midfield - Colgate
Finn McCain - Midfield - Trinity
Scott Witkos - Midfield/Foso - Union

Thayer
Theo Kostakos - Attack, - Jacksonville
Jake McLoy - Attack - Gettysburg
CJ Monturio - Midfield - Army
Quinn McConnaughey - Fogo - Providence

D1 commits 23 players. D3 commits 20 players.

Conference Breakdown
D1
Patriot League  -  8
Big East - 5
CAA - 3
SoCon - 2
ACC - 2
Ivy - 2
Independent - 1

D3
NESCAC - 7
Liberty - 8
Centennial - 2
NCAC - 2
SCAC - 1
Last edited by Laxxal22 on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:15 am With recruiting for the class of 2022 opening up tomorrow, here's a quick look at where the class of 2021 stands. Tough recruiting circumstances for this group. Junior year is often the first shot at extended playing time in strong programs, and no D1 coaches on the club sidelines this summer.

I'm guessing there's another 25-30 uncommitted seniors capable of playing strong DIII or better (though some of those guys are more likely to pursue football or hockey opportunities), and college coaches will be trying to vet this class until the bitter end, so this list will expand a bit before the start (hopefully) of the 2021 season.

Please let me know if I missed anyone, listed incorrect school, etc.
Belmont Hill
Zach Travaglini - Attack - BU
Luke Curtin - Fogo - Skidmore
Grant Litchfield - Defense - Lehigh
Trey Brown - Defense/LSM - BU
Michael Marinello - Goalie - St. Lawrence

Govs
Blake Weldon - Attack - Umass
Peyton O’Leary - Midfield - Umass

Groton
Russell Thorndike - Attack - Middlebury
Anthony Romano - Defense - Richmond
Ronan Doherty - Defense - Notre Dame

Lawrence
Sean Henderson - Goalie - Hofstra

Middlesex
Will McCarthy - Attack - Middlebury
Johnny Cowdrick - Defense - Trinity
George Fulton - Defense - Virginia 
Liam Alley - Lsm - Union

Nobles
Cole Van Meter - Midfield - BU
Stephen Gaskill - Midfield - BU

Rivers
Joey Kraft - Attack - Tufts
Brian Gonsalvez - Midfield - Skidmore
Gregg Dennison - Defense - Providence

Roxbury Latin
Bobby O’Grady - Attack - Marquette
Bryan Anderson - LSM - Brown

St. George’s
Ryan Matarese - Goalie - Kenyon

St. Mark’s
Jackson Coutu - Midfield - Providence
Bobby Bartlett - LSM - St. Lawrence

St. Sebastian’s
Tommy Armstong - Attack - Bucknell
Sam Frisoli - Midfield - Tufts (football & lacrosse)
Jimmy Freehill - Defense - Denver 

Tabor
Gunnar Von Hollander - Att/Mid - Conn College
Will Hoyt - Midfield - Colgate
Finn McCain - Midfield - Trinity
Scott Witkos - Midfield/Foso - Union

Thayer
Theo Kostakos - Attack, - Jacksonville
Jake McLoy - Attack - Gettysburg
CJ Monturio - Midfield - Army
Quinn McConnaughey - Fogo - Providence

D1 commits 21 players. D3 commits 15 players.

Conference Breakdown
D1
Patriot League  -  8
Big East - 5
CAA - 3
SoCon - 2
ACC - 2
Ivy - 1

D3
NESCAC - 7
Liberty - 6
Centennial - 1
NCAC - 1
With the amount of money spent to attend an ISL school, wouldn't you want more of a return than Jacksonville or Hofstra academically speaking? Perhaps, things have changed in 30+ years.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

There are 16 schools in the ISL. Not all of them are designed to be Ivy/NESCAC feeders or attract students looking to go that route.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

I agree. Jacksonville & Hofstra after spending $200,000 on HS seems odd.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Jacksonville's and Hofstra's educational offering is good. Like most every school, it depends on the student, it depends on the major.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

No ISL juniors received a five star ranking in Inside Lacrosse's initial evaluation of the class, but a few were listed in the top tier of four star recruits. Aidan O'Neil (Attack, Tabor), Jack Pappendick (Midfield, BB&N), Aidan Maguire (Midfield, St. Seb's). The league has some nice players in the 2022 class (and I could see a few more guys getting a four star evaluation) but I'd bet these guys would be the consensus top three if you asked around.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 2022/56826
SidelineHorn

Post by SidelineHorn »

"With the amount of money spent to attend an ISL school, wouldn't you want more of a return than Jacksonville or Hofstra academically speaking? Perhaps, things have changed in 30+ years."

These are the types of comments that make people detest private schools. I'm sure these kids are very proud of their commitments, but your comment comes off as elitist and in poor taste. I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but it is refreshing to see students look outside of the usual 30 institutions that NE prep school students target each year.

Never mistake formal education with intelligence.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

SidelineHorn wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:36 am "With the amount of money spent to attend an ISL school, wouldn't you want more of a return than Jacksonville or Hofstra academically speaking? Perhaps, things have changed in 30+ years."

These are the types of comments that make people detest private schools. I'm sure these kids are very proud of their commitments, but your comment comes off as elitist and in poor taste. I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but it is refreshing to see students look outside of the usual 30 institutions that NE prep school students target each year.

Never mistake formal education with intelligence.
As to your last point, I don't. I have nothing against Jville, and I think Galloway is a dynamic coach, but it essentially has no (or few) admissions standards.

I have no problem with any of that, some of my kids go to (or went to) lower tier schools and some go to (or went to) top-tier schools. I love them all the same. Plus, I have a client that went to Hofstra and has had great career in PE and he has a few buildings on campus named after him, so there's that. I guess I thought the ISL was different. It was when I went there. I was literally the dumbest kid in my class, but was accepted at a NESCAC. And lacrosse, in my view (and much like sports other than the bballs, fball and hockey), is all about being good so you get into a school that you might not have been accepted to otherwise, which is one of the reasons that makes it so pure. My apologies to anyone offended.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Laxxal22 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:14 pm No ISL juniors received a five star ranking in Inside Lacrosse's initial evaluation of the class, but a few were listed in the top tier of four star recruits. Aidan O'Neil (Attack, Tabor), Jack Pappendick (Midfield, BB&N), Aidan Maguire (Midfield, St. Seb's). The league has some nice players in the 2022 class (and I could see a few more guys getting a four star evaluation) but I'd bet these guys would be the consensus top three if you asked around.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 2022/56826
Jimmy McCool is a 4-star who attended Seb’s before transferring to New Hampton. Great kid and great player who would have been a 5-star in an ordinary year that wasn’t so stacked with goalies.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

A few more ISL guys added as four star recruits to the Inside Lacrosse database over the weekend.

Oran Gelinas - Goalie - Middlesex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDIi5e3gOqg
Jack Rideout - Fogo - St. Seb's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHHz2MxkVAs&t=
Thomas Porrell - Midfield - BB&N: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meZHxdy9RzQ&t=

Highlights for the guys named four stars last week.

Aidan O'Neil - Attack - Tabor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2jHXeov4Ek&t=
Aidan MaGuire - Midfield - St. Seb's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u22X87gpew&t=
Jack Pappendick - Midfield - BB&N: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DLxb33lasQ&t=
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:38 pm https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 3825206273

Alex Gainey, St. Seb's class of 2018 has entered the transfer portal at Hopkins.
Gainey to BU. I guessed (just for fun and with zero intel) that he'd end up at Holy Cross or Tufts - close but no cigar.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”