ISL Lacrosse 2020

HS Boys Lacrosse
Laxxal22

Re: ISL Lacrosse 2020

Post by Laxxal22 »

Mass governor now saying all schools closed until May 4th. That's the final nail. Feel terrible for these kids and coaches, especially the class of 2020.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... cans/56234

John Piatelli (St. Seb's 2017) getting the honorable mention AA nod at attack for Cornell. Nice to see for a kid who wasn't really a big-time recruit but carried the momentum of a fantastic senior season at Seb's into an impressive college career with still at least one season to go.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Collegecrosse.com released their all freshmen team. Two ISL guys made it with Peter Blake (Def - St. Seb's/Penn) making third team and Michael Hughes (LSM - Brooks/Providence) making HM. Nice to see for Peter Blake. While Hughes is the most decorated player ever to come out of Brooks, Blake was a little overshadowed by Will Frisoli and Mike Swirbalus in his class at Seb's.

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2020/4/7/ ... osse-picks
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 3825206273

Alex Gainey, St. Seb's class of 2018 has entered the transfer portal at Hopkins. Doesn't mean he'll leave the Blue Jays, but makes sense to take a look with the coaching uncertainty and three years of eligibility remaining. He was committed to Holy Cross until right before senior year, three of his high school classmates are on the team, and the Coach Burke is a Seb's alum. Easy to see him ending up there, but I imagine most strong academic schools will be in play.

Nothing to base this on, but I actually wouldn't be stunned if he ends up at Tufts. There's a lot of similarities in what the two schools offer, Coach D'annolfo has three ISL guys who've transferred from D1 schools on the roster, and after two years of grinding at Hopkins it might feel nice for lacrosse not to be your life and to win most of your games with your family watching. Not that he'd stroll in be handed the job, but I doubt he'll get that anywhere.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

I think Casey is pretty happy with the GKs on the roster at Tufts. Joe Theur, most likely next year's full-time starter (he split time w/a senior this year), is real good.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

You're probably right. I'm just spitballing and throwing out some tinfoil hat theories. Holy Cross seems most likely if he decides to leave Hop.

I understand that they have talented keepers on the roster, but with five classes for the next four years every team is going to get more competitive and D'annolfo doesn't seem afraid to tweak the roster and let kids compete. They're set at faceoffs but still snagged the #11 ranked 2020 Fogo away from Amherst at the beginning of the month, and Taggart Eymer still transferred in from Bryant this past fall despite the Jumbos having a strong stable of longsticks. If the #8 goalie from his class has three years of eligibility left (still not sure how NESCAC will play this) and is interested, you at least ask how his grades are doing.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

According to the forums here, and from what I have seen, the GKs at JHU have issues. Maybe Petro was not playing the best GK, and maybe the save percentage was due to not-so-great defense, but the stats are what they are. Further, Tufts was loaded this year and most of its best players are returning, and the team has great chemistry. If its not the preseason No. 1 for 2021, I would be shocked. There would appear to be no need to change anything that might upset that, but IDK.

And to parrot what I read on other page, perhaps the uncertainty of the new coach at JHU is resulting on players entering the portal.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Valid points and you certainly know the Jumbos program better than I do. If a kid comes in as a soph (big if) I don't really see how it rocks the boat though, especially as a school that has added D1 transfers recently. Tufts look loaded for 2021 (I commented on that on the NESCAC thread earlier in the week) but standing pat will be dangerous when some schools will have 5th year guys returning and a significantly higher number of DI guys transferring to DIII than usual. Salisbury could reach mid-90s levels again.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

I’m hearing that incoming freshmen (both athletes & non athletes) are thinking about a gap year if colleges have a hybrid Fall semester. Any thoughts regarding this?

Also, with the volatile market, high unemployment, and potential for at home learning to continue into the Fall - do you think the ISL is going to see any issues with their student body?

I know a parent of a senior, D1 football prospect, at a prep school in CT. The dad says there is no way he’s paying $50,000 if HS football is canceled this Fall.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

That makes sense on the gap year. As to your other question, I don't know but I hope not. Would be terrible news and realities for those boys and families. There's value beyond the sports, and while your friend's position is understandable I think viewing the experience through such a narrow lens is pretty rare. But if money does get tighter, private school is certainly a luxury.

Overall day schools are at least as attractive as before (10- 12 kids in a classroom vs. 25-30 is sounding pretty good right now). Boarding schools could be a in a rough spot as the number of international students and kids from the states who have to fly to visit home will probably fall off of a cliff for a few years - potentially forever.
RandomActofLaxness

Post by RandomActofLaxness »

Any news/updates on ISL players transferring?
I hear that BH is getting a proven goalie (from another ISL program)!
Any other moves out there?
Be well!
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Don't know about any transfers but Tabor had a few "welcome to the program" posts on their IG and Twitter about lacrosse players who had accepted admissions. I think they were all incoming freshmen though.

Interested about the goalie transferring to Belmont Hill. Weren't many ISL freshman goalies who got time in 2019 (though I guess it could be a kid who is repeating junior year at BH next year). I have a guess, but care to share here or send me a PM?

Covid didn't fully hit until after acceptances had been sent out, so I'm not sure how much it will affect the 2020-2021 school year. But with no spring, and probably a shortened summer, I'd expect a ton of transfer/reclass students coming into the league for the 2021-2022 year.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Let’s see how the economy does first. I know these schools have endowments but they depend on tuition and yearly donations for much of their operating expenses.

This financial crisis hasn’t really hit the well heeled just yet but if this drags on, there may be some tough conversations at the dinner table in the coming months in Hingham, Dover and Wellesley.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Those places will be fine, and will most likely lean even more towards reclass/private. Probably won't draw as much from places like Reading, Franklin, etc. for the next few years.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

You are probably right.
OFOSHO

Post by OFOSHO »

RandomActofLaxness wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:19 pm Any news/updates on ISL players transferring?
Be well!
Goalie transferring is M. Torrey ‘22 from Milton Academy to BH.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

OFOSHO wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:06 am
RandomActofLaxness wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:19 pm Any news/updates on ISL players transferring?
Be well!
Goalie transferring is M. Torrey ‘22 from Milton Academy to BH.
That was my guess. MA has a real hard time holding on to promising players.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

https://www.metrowestdailynews.com/spor ... georges-ri

Bob Pipe named as new AD at St. George's after 22 years at Rivers. Seems like a smart hire. Outside of basketball, Rivers sports were pretty atrocious in the late 90s and are now quite strong for a smaller school. Hopefully he can lead a similar turnaround down in Newport.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Sam Frisoli from St. Seb's committed to play football and lacrosse at Tufts. An athletic two-way middie that was poised to have a breakout spring after a strong junior year football campaign in the fall.

https://twitter.com/sam_frisoli4/status ... 1398934529
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Middlebury picks up Russell Thorndike of Groton for their 2025 class. Varsity player since 8th grade, a real good get for the Panthers who've had a great run of picking up some of the ISL's best over the past few classes.

https://twitter.com/3dNewEngland/status ... 5140425731

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”